What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devon Achane, MIA (1 Viewer)

Travis Wingfield @WingfieldNFL
Achane made more plays – most notably a route where he got a couple of steps on Baker for a long TD catch. There was pressure, might’ve been a sack, but the speed from 28 is evident.

Salvon had some nice plays in the pass game, too.

Marcel Louis-Jacques @Marcel_Lj
🆕 De’Von Achane is going to be so dynamic when he gets the opportunity this season

🏈 Noah Igbinoghene picked off James Blackman in team drills

Dolphins signed RB Devon Achane.​

Achane, a reported favorite of head coach Mike McDaniel, has shown off his speed and quickness during offseason workouts after being taken with the 84th pick in the NFL Draft. A sprinter in high school and college, Achane will join a Miami offense that emphasizes speed above everything else. Achane is widely considered a plus pass catcher, which could make him a solid fantasy pick in a Dolphins offense that targeted running backs 104 times in 2022. He'll compete for snaps with veterans Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Jun 2, 2023, 11:12 AM ET

ESPN’s Marcel Louise-Jacques believes “it may not be long before the rookie has a prominent role” in the Dolphins offense.

Louise-Jacques, like many Dolphins beat writers, noted Achane’s explosiveness and speed during the team’s mandatory minicamp. He noted the team’s backfield would be crowded, with the return of Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson, but said Achane’s after-the-catch ability could separate him from the veteran backs familiar with Mike McDaniel’s offense. While it’s likely no Dolphins running back gets a big workload in 2023, Achane — a third round pick — could make the most out of his touches. Miami backs were targeted 105 times in 2022.

ESPN’s Marcel Louise-Jacques believes “it may not be long before the rookie has a prominent role” in the Dolphins offense.

Louise-Jacques, like many Dolphins beat writers, noted Achane’s explosiveness and speed during the team’s mandatory minicamp. He noted the team’s backfield would be crowded, with the return of Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson, but said Achane’s after-the-catch ability could separate him from the veteran backs familiar with Mike McDaniel’s offense. While it’s likely no Dolphins running back gets a big workload in 2023, Achane — a third round pick — could make the most out of his touches. Miami backs were targeted 105 times in 2022.

I don't know who @Gruden's Keyboard is but it's hilarious, someone is on point there.

-Assuming Cook doesn't sign with Miami, despite Cook expressing interest in Miami
-You gotta start moving Achane up your charts and I think this guy could be one of the rookies that blasts off this season, especially in this offense.

12 Team Redrafts-PPR
-Achane Late 10th/11th Rd
-Mostert and Wilson in the 12 and 13th Rd, they might be worth a roster spot early in the season but slowly I think Achane will rise as the RB to flex most weeks.

-Miami has no real threat at Tight End, they view the position more as a blocker and that means after Hill and Waddle there must be a 3rd set of hands and I think Achane will be in line to grab a lot of balls and bail out Tua at times on short dump offs, but this kid has a lot of speed and can turn some of those into big gains.

150 carries but another 50 receptions which is a lot to project but that's how Achane arrives at about 200 touches
150-625-3, 50-400-3

1,000+ yds, 5-6 TDs, 50+ receptions, that's the upside here of a guy you can grab as your RB 3-4 after you load up elsewhere

I'm a Rotoworld refugee.

Before they closed their forums, I posted Achane was a solid Zero RB target.
Welcome to the Shark Pool!
You're definitely going to fit in around here with many of us

My primary focus is Redraft, don't compete in Dynasty but often asked to ride shotgun in start up Dynasty Leagues so I am familiar with the mind set
I just find Dynasty can really mess up my redraft teams and I like to gamble so no dynasty for me.

Again, look forward to your future posts
Cheers!

Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said RB De’Von Achane (leg) is “day to day.”
Achane limped off and didn’t return after he was injured in Saturday’s practice. Any missed time would put the third-round rookie at risk of falling further behind veterans Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson. Achane looks on the wrong side of questionable for Miami’s preseason opener.

Devon Achane - 4.32, 188lbs

Chris Johnson - 4.24, 195lbs

For what it's worth, Achane is shorter too, putting his BMI at 28.2 vs 27.2 for CJ2K.
I've been getting excited myself.
He reminds me of Warrick Dunn, you can look up his numbers and stats but they are built similar and run similar, I don' think Achane is a Chris Johnson clone but I get the comparison in terms of raw speed, still Johnson was faster or quicker getting up to top speed. I never saw anyone go from 1st to 5th gear much faster than Johnson.

If Achane is in the spectrum of a Warrick Dunn then he has a bright future in the NFL. I like RBs that can do multiple things, I like his ability to catch passes.
I would like for him to stay on he board until Miami picks at #84 but that's likely wishful thinking. Miami also has #51 they can use but that seems a little early from projections plus there are some nice impact players in the 2nd Rd already. Not at RB necessarily but other positions Miami should be looking at like OL unfortunately.
Miami does end up taking him #84-3rd Rd
Ask and ye shall receive.

I’ve been taking him all over the place given the scheme and personnel fit. He’s like discount Gibbs to me.

Yeah, that's good and all, but people are not giving Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson, Jr. the credit they deserve. They're like dog poo on a shoe to the fantasy world. Problem is, they're both really underrated, decent backs. They haven't lost their step yet. I'll never forget Mostert shredding Green Bay in the NFCCG and Wilson has had some big games, too. Both have the requisite speed (Mostert still burns at 31) to run in McDaniels's one-cut, wide zone scheme. It's just. . .he's a third rounder. And Jahmyr is a first-rounder with only the plodding Montgomery as his competition.

Hence the discount, I guess.

I’ve been taking him all over the place given the scheme and personnel fit. He’s like discount Gibbs to me.

Yeah, that's good and all, but people are not giving Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson, Jr. the credit they deserve. They're like dog poo on a shoe to the fantasy world. Problem is, they're both really underrated, decent backs. They haven't lost their step yet. I'll never forget Mostert shredding Green Bay in the NFCCG and Wilson has had some big games, too. Both have the requisite speed (Mostert still burns at 31) to run in McDaniels's one-cut, wide zone scheme. It's just. . .he's a third rounder. And Jahmyr is a first-rounder with only the plodding Montgomery as his competition.

Hence the discount, I guess.

Well, first off I want him behind another lead back, similar to Gibbs. Let him get touches in the passing game and maybe 10 carries per game. It’s why I have no problem if they bring in Cook. I’d actually prefer it.

As for Wilson & Mostert, they’re both quality runners but both are very injury prone. That will sort itself out quickly enough.

Edit- Also to be clear, I expect discounted production to go along with the discounted price. Still very valuable though and I’ve been scooping him in dynasty because that usage lends itself to him having a longer career if he does turn out to be good.

Last edited:
I kind of have Achane in with other backs I don't expect to have the lead role but has value in the passing game. Behind A Gibson, Charbonnet, around the same range or just ahead of Bigsby. I like loading up on a few of those guys after we get into double digits. Injuries hit sooner or later, never know when one of them might have an increased role in the back half. Basically lottery tickets.

Not sure he has much stand alone value early in the year but these aren't guys you're rolling out in the first 6 weeks.

A lot of small backs like Achane don't peak in fantasy until mid career...see Darren Sproles, Austin Ekeler and other undersized backs.

The shark move on Achane may be to buy after this season when owners have given up on him.

Joe Schad?
just a few minutes ago he Xweets
"Dolphins S Brandon Jones compared rookie RB De’Von Achane to Chris Johnson"

I would never compare anyone to Chris Johnson, I was lucky enough to have him a few times
But I did say that Achane has some wicked speed and if he gets loose, he can turn on the jets.
But CJ2K was the fastest I saw going from 1 gear to the next to top speed, his burst was incredible when he first broke into the NFL

With Hill and Waddle already flying down the field, Achane should find some open spaces for short passes and screens that he can break into big plays

Last edited:
Joe Schad?
just a few minutes ago he Xweets
"Dolphins S Brandon Jones comped rookie RB De’Von Achane to Chris Johnson"

I would never compare anyone to Chris Johnson, I was lucky enough to have him a few times
But I did say that Achane has some wicker speed and if he gets loose, he can turn on the jets.
But CJ2K was the fastest I saw going from 1 gear to the next to top speed, his burst was incredible when he first broke into the NFL

With Hill and Waddle already flying down the field, Achane should find some open spaces for short passes and screens that he can break into big plays

I’m with you, even Tyreek doesn’t have CJ2k jets. Darrell Green and Deion Sanders are the only guys that are on that level off the top of my head. I’m probably forgetting someone.

Achane has legit difference making speed, but it’s a notch or two below CJ. As you mentioned though, with the speed Miami has on the field he’s going to see more daylight than he would elsewhere and I think that could be lethal.

After missing practice due to a "leg" injury last Saturday, Achane was back at practice yesterday and had an impressive 6 yard TD run where he trucked someone at the 1. He's also gotten kudos for pass blocking. Not your typical speedster. But he won't straight-up break tackles.Mostert has looked good and is one year removed an ACL repair, but he's 31. Competition is good. Achane is a lottery at thos point, could be a flex if he becomes the 3rd down back.

After missing practice due to a "leg" injury last Saturday, Achane was back at practice yesterday and had an impressive 6 yard TD run where he trucked someone at the 1. He's also gotten kudos for pass blocking. Not your typical speedster. But he won't straight-up break tackles.Mostert has looked good and is one year removed an ACL repair, but he's 31. Competition is good. Achane is a lottery at thos point, could be a flex if he becomes the 3rd down back.
Mostert/Achane, use Wilson sparingly

Mostert 181/891, almost 5ypc and a career high rushing, again he's 31 yrs old. 31 catches, almost 1,100 yds and 5 TDs. That's about 10-11 carries a game, less than 2 catches, plenty of playing time for Achane to seize. He's got to ascend the No 2 on the depth chart and I do think his receiving skills will earn him some 3rd Down opps as well. Imagine a screen play for Achane with Hill and Waddle running down the field and clearing out some space.

...but MOP, your Fish are still doing the tango with DCook at this point, correct? What then? DCook/Achane, use Mostert sparingly, bye Wilson?

...but MOP, your Fish are still doing the tango with DCook at this point, correct? What then? DCook/Achane, use Mostert sparingly, bye Wilson?
I prefer Miami does the quick step with Achane and Mostert and carry the cap savings to next year. Plus, I've been sold that RBs don't matter by @BobbyLayne

WRT FF & RBs, opportunities trumps talent. We see a lot of mid round, late round & even UDFA guys become major contributors. Sometimes it’s nothing more than attrition.

Achane should have some flex appeal as a stabs alone even without injuries.

Mostert $2.1M
Wilson $2.2 M...the dead cap on both of these guys is equal or slightly more than their salaries, they aren't going anywhere IMHO.
But they could slide to RB3 and RB4 plus they get injured a lot, hard to fathom we see 16 or 17 starts out of either of them

Ahmed $1.4M and $300k to cut him
Gaskin $1M and nothing to part ways

Think Cook is worth about $5M but wants quite a bit more
Miami has over $11M in salary cap space but also have to be thinking about certain extensions that need tending to.
Gaskin and AHmed create $2M in cap space so now they have $13M
Anderson at WR saves them about another $1M, Cedric Ogbu on the OL would save them well over $1M, those 4 players add up to almost $15M in total cap space if Miami parts ways with them, that might make it easier to offer Cook more or some type of incentive to get him where he wants to go.
Dav Cook is a major upgrade IMHO over the other 2 RB we have in Mostert and Wilson, it would be great for Phinsfans if Miami could sign him somehow and not hurt themselves.
I imagine he also would like multiple years, some guaranteed money, at least Montgomery level which is $6M per year and Cook probably wants closer to $10M especially with incentives he can hit.

I wrote some nice things in the preseason thread but he missed a block rather badly on 3rd down, late 4th Q with the game on the line, he missed the blitz if you want to put it that way
The left side of the OL looked like the Keystone Kops simultaneously
That is the kind of play that could keep him off the field.

I wrote some nice things in the preseason thread but he missed a block rather badly on 3rd down, late 4th Q with the game on the line, he missed the blitz if you want to put it that way
The left side of the OL looked like the Keystone Kops simultaneously
That is the kind of play that could keep him off the field.
On the positive side, Achane showed his speed on the opening kickoff. He also showed toughness on multiple runs up the middle where there were no holes. Only 10 for 25, but the backup oline wasn't providing much push. Where he excelled was catching passes. Check out this catch where he got popped by the safety, held onto the ball, and got up right away.

Dolphins RB Devon Achane had 10 carries for 25 yards and caught all four of his targets for 41 yards in his preseason debut vs Atlanta.

Achane missed practice time with a leg injury last week but was active and played 33 snaps. The rookie finished as Miami’s leading receiver with QBs Mike White and Skyler Thompson turning it over four times. Achane is expected to open the year as the No. 3 back behind Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson, where he’ll be an injury away from a committee role.

@rockaction is right about Mostert. He looked good last year, speed and broken tackles. Jeff Wilson disappointed after a slow start. Achane is the best receiving back on the roster, and can run between the tackles, but unless there is an injury, expect mostly 3rd down and KR duty to start.

>>#Dolphins running back Raheem Mostert since 2019:- leads all running backs with 5.4 yards per attempt- ranks fourth in yards after contact per attempt (3.5) - tied for seventh in missed tackles forced per attempt (0.21)<<

@rockaction is right about Mostert. He looked good last year, speed and broken tackles. Jeff Wilson disappointed after a slow start. Achane is the best receiving back on the roster, and can run between the tackles, but unless there is an injury, expect mostly 3rd down and KR duty to start.

>>#Dolphins running back Raheem Mostert since 2019:- leads all running backs with 5.4 yards per attempt- ranks fourth in yards after contact per attempt (3.5) - tied for seventh in missed tackles forced per attempt (0.21)<<

Lucky for him Mostert will last 2 quarters

Dude got lit up trying to block Will Anderson. Love the speed but he is way too small to be a RB1 in the league. The comps to CJ2K are silly.

Dude got lit up trying to block Will Anderson. Love the speed but he is way too small to be a RB1 in the league. The comps to CJ2K are silly.
Anderson will do that to lots of RBs. But you could be right, TBD.
I really like his skill set and I hope he succeeds. But it seems like some teams make this same mistake every year with micro machine RB and WR. It rarely works.

I really like his skill set and I hope he succeeds. But it seems like some teams make this same mistake every year with micro machine RB and WR. It rarely works.
He could carve out a role as a 3rd down back this year. Perhaps more next year. His combine height was 5'8.5", and he's up to 190 lbs. He was just carted off the field, it looks like his left shoulder was slammed into the ground.

Hate to see it. some will immediately point to his size, which was the biggest question about him pre-draft.

Big blow to MIA. They should have pushed harder for Cook to sign.

He walked to the sideline grabbing his left shoulder. 2nd round CB Cam Smith may miss a few games to start the season, also with a shoulder injury. Jalen Ramsey, obtained with a 3rd round draft pick, will miss at least half the season with a knee.

Hate to see it. some will immediately point to his size, which was the biggest question about him pre-draft.

Big blow to MIA. They should have pushed harder for Cook to sign.
Ahmed and Gaskin have looked great with improved blocking. Mostert too. Plus Jeff Wilson is there. They need to roll the cap space to next year. RB Chris Brooks just scored a receiving TD ... Dalvin Cook is no CMC at this point in his career.

I think he'll be a killer in PPR leagues. Dude is going to catch a ton of passes in garbage time / end of halves.

Have him rostered as my RB3/FLEX in a few leagues. McKissic on steroids, imo. He will be a fine bye week filler. In non-PPR, I wouldn't have much interest.

Yeah seems like 2 plays that went past the whistle. Hopefully won’t be a big issue. Maybe he needed to poop in a hurry

Users who are viewing this thread