What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devon Achane, MIA (1 Viewer)

The projections I'm reading from folks is along the lines of 4-5 touches a game at best.
Minimum this guy is getting 8-10 touches a game and that would be on the light side or something involving an injury IMHO
Are folks even aware of the Coach's hard on for this guy while he was at A&M? 2 flipping years according to Coach MM.

And I will leave you all with this because sometimes I feel like I can't get the right words out fast enough before judgement is passed

Devon Achane, RB, Texas A&M – Miami Dolphins – Third Round​

Achane ran a 4.32 forty and had a speed score of 108. That’s getting thrown into what is already the fastest offense in the league with Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, and Raheem Mostert.

In each of the past two seasons, Achane had 18 runs of 15 or more yards.

Achane is an explosive zone runner, which fits right in with the running schemes the Dolphins deploy. Miami used outside zone runs on 36.7% of their running back attempts, the ninth-highest in the league, and inside zone on another 23.9%.

On zone runs last season, Achane had a 13.4% boom rate — the rate of runs that produce over 1.0 EPA — which was the ninth-highest among 53 backs in college football with at least 100 zone attempts per SIS.

The Dolphins ran a ton of plays with two backs on the field, including a league-leading 35.6% of plays in 21 personnel.

Most of those came with fullback Alec Ingold on the field, but there was a small sample of plays with two backs on the field without Ingold.

On those rushing attempts, Miami averaged 0.90 EPA per play. Now those two backs could be Achane and Mostert.

Even in the regular rotation, the Dolphins have backs in Mostert, Achane, and Jeff Wilson with the ability to break a long run at any time.

That’s the overall theme of the Miami offense, a potential touchdown on any given play. The Dolphins were already first in explosive play rate last season.

De'Von Achane now weighs 192, up.from 188! I hope he doesn't lose too much speed. BMI: 29.2.

>>Achane said he measured 192 pounds Friday morning, which is the heaviest he has been, and the full commitment to football has allowed him to get bigger. “I always knew that I could gain weight,” he said. “I just didn’t have the full offseason to gain weight because obviously I was doing track. This is my first year not doing track, so I actually had the whole offseason to work out and be in football shape. So it kind of helped me with that.” Though Achane receives questions about taking hits in the NFL, he noted the benefits of being a smaller player in the backfield. “I’m a much smaller back than usual,” he said. “I’m shorter. [The offensive line] is big, so it’s kind of hard for them to see ... it’s hard for them to tackle me as well because big guys, it’s kind of hard to tackle small guys<<

De'Von Achane now weighs 192, up.from 188! I hope he doesn't lose too much speed. BMI: 29.2.

>>Achane said he measured 192 pounds Friday morning, which is the heaviest he has been, and the full commitment to football has allowed him to get bigger. “I always knew that I could gain weight,” he said. “I just didn’t have the full offseason to gain weight because obviously I was doing track. This is my first year not doing track, so I actually had the whole offseason to work out and be in football shape. So it kind of helped me with that.” Though Achane receives questions about taking hits in the NFL, he noted the benefits of being a smaller player in the backfield. “I’m a much smaller back than usual,” he said. “I’m shorter. [The offensive line] is big, so it’s kind of hard for them to see ... it’s hard for them to tackle me as well because big guys, it’s kind of hard to tackle small guys<<

This backfield should be fun to watch but a mess from a fantasy football standpoint. I think Wilson and Mostert are gone next year and they use a high draft pick maybe 2nd or 3rd rd for a sizeable rb.

Miami is adding ot the OL, now Wynn will compete with Jackson or be Armstead's back up.
Wynn used to be.a lot better, maybe he'll be motivated but for now he's good depth
If Wynn is healthy, he'll make short work of Jackson. Health is likely the only reason he was still available this late in the offseason. He was one of the better OTs in the NFL from 2019-2021.

Miami is adding to the OL, now Wynn will compete with Jackson or be Armstead's back up.
Wynn used to be.a lot better, maybe he'll be motivated but for now he's good depth

He is not good...besides being unreliable (in performance and health) he will find a way to get a penalty at an important time...look at the Pats current Tackle situation...it is atrocious...and they still didn't want him back.

Miami is adding to the OL, now Wynn will compete with Jackson or be Armstead's back up.

He is not good...besides being unreliable (in performance and health) he will find a way to get a penalty at an important time...look at the Pats current Tackle situation...it is atrocious...and they still didn't want him back.
The injuries are a big issue for sure, but he was a solid starter (pro bowl level in 2020) whenever healthy until they moved him from LT to RT last season. I think there is a decent chance that Wynn was just one of many (especially Mac Jones) that suffered career worst performances due to Matt Patricia. Perhaps a real offense coach like Mike McDaniel can get Wynn back on track?

What NE has (Brown/Reiff) is a ton better than Austin Jackson, who probably would have been cut by now, if he wasn't a 1st rounder. Even Wynn's down play last year, is as good or better than Jackson's best. Jackson was a 3rd round prospect, foolishly taken in round 1, who has played like a UDFA.

Like this move a lot for both Wynn and Miami. Fully expecting Wynn to be a week 1 starter. I'd go so far as to say adding Wynn is a more important addition than adding Dalvin Cook would be.

Assuming it's a one year deal, worth it to take shot on Wynn, but if he's available now, there's a reason.
Health. Wynn produced in his 2 healthiest seasons, 2020 starting 10 games ( 82.6 pff grade) and 2021 starting 15 games (74.9 grade). Jackson has prototypical size and feet, but has never produced like that. Grier drafted Jackson on potential ... he said it himself.

Assuming it's a one year deal, worth it to take shot on Wynn, but if he's available now, there's a reason.
Health. Wynn produced in his 2 healthiest seasons, 2020 starting 10 games ( 82.6 pff grade) and 2021 starting 15 games (74.9 grade). Jackson has prototypical size and feet, but has never produced like that. Grier drafted Jackson on potential ... he said it himself.
And there it is. With a guy like this, Belichick is saying he doesn't trust Wynn to stay healthy.

There's an increased interest in the MIA oline after they drafted Achane!

The lowdown is we have 3 good run blockers in C Williams, RG Hunt, and LT Armstead. Searching for 2 others. In 2022, journeyman Brandon Shell did OK when he filled in at RT after game 6 (64.9 pff grade) - better than Jackson would've done. Kendall Lamm also did better than Jackson and he's still on the team. Miami drafted an OT in the 7th, MI starter for 3 years, Ryan Hayes, a 6'7" TE in high school, to possibly compete in 2024, when Miami's salary cap becomes a bigger restriction. I think Wynn beats out Jackson for the RT spot in 2023. A journeyman or Hayes could also beat out LG Eichenberg who was bad in 2022.

BTW, Miami waived 3 UDFA oline players after just 2 days of minicamp, including Hayes' MI teammate at RT Jarrett Horst who was the #1 pick in the USFL draft.

On film, I also see the receiving skills. In high school, he was often split out and did WR patterns downfield, 96 receptions in 3 years at 20.6 yards per catch. At Texas A&M, he did more traditional shorter RB routes, but had a few nice downfield receptions including a long wheel route vs ALA.

>>One longtime NFL scout, who is not authorized by his team to speak publicly, told me what’s underrated about Dolphins rookie running back De’Von Achane is “he’s got really good, really good hands. The kid has wide receiver-type hands and receiving skills. He can snatch the ball and catch downfield. “He’s a good receiver, can run, is tough, productive. He has everything you want except for the size [5-8 1/2, 188 pounds].” At Texas A&M, Achane had 65 receptions for 554 yards and five touchdowns.

Meanwhile, former Dolphins executive Mike Tannenbaum — one of the founders of The 33rd Team think tank — said on the company’s podcast, with Josh Larkey, that: “There’s not a linebacker in the league that can stay with [Achane] man-to-man.”

Tannenbaum said: “What you can do with De’Von, is pre-release, meaning he’ll have no pass protection responsibilities as the way to get the ball to him quick. They are going to have him [pass] protect at some point. But at his size, that’s not going to be his strength. “They’ll be creative, meaning there will be some jet motion, jet sweeps, getting him the ball behind the line of scrimmage where you can get the ball in his hands and try to get him in space.”<<

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article275161491.html#storylink=cpy

I can't wait to see the RB version of Deebo. Miami has a coach that is creative enough to get the most out of Achane. Those passing on Achane will regret it. All aboard!!!

Hill, Waddle and Achane at wideout, I can't wait. The firm!!!

Those passing on Achane will regret it. All aboard!!!
Where has he been going in rookie drafts? Mine are all the week after the actual one, so I've been checked out. The one in which I had a pick between 1 and 19 I took him at 11, but I don't recall him falling past that in the others.

Where has he been going in rookie drafts? Mine are all the week after the actual one, so I've been checked out. The one in which I had a pick between 1 and 19 I took him at 11, but I don't recall him falling past that in the others.
He went 1.10 in my 1qb ppr league. Our draft started the Wednesday after the NFL draft.

I get a very Tarik Cohen feel to his fantasy value. Limited touches, but could be very explosive with them. When the Bears were creative with Cohen, he was quite the weapon. I think McDaniel will use him very well.

Something like 8 touches a game. Good luck picking which week one or two of those touches are a big play. Players like this are why I want bigger lineup sizes in most leagues.

Achane went 1.6 in my rookie draft, ahead of Charbonnet, to a team that really needed RB help (Barkley, Gibson, Mostert) I thought that was about where he should go.

Achane went 1.6 in my rookie draft, ahead of Charbonnet, to a team that really needed RB help (Barkley, Gibson, Mostert) I thought that was about where he should go.
I pass on Achane. I don't see him being consistently fantasy relevant. I still think he will get gadget player touches. If I regret that decision, then so be it.

The more I read about Achane's pass catching skills, the more I like him. Not just a screen/check down type of pass catcher

Looking at the RB situation in Miami, I think he can be a 15 touch guy early. Not like Miami has a ton of money invested in Mostert where they feel pressured to play him. If Achane is better, he will play. I don't buy the talk that Miami is a "crowded" backfield. Neither Wilson nor Mostert are top end backs and both, especially Mostert have pretty extensive injury histories.

Last edited:
Looking at the RB situation in Miami, I think he can have an be a 15 touch guy early. Not like Miami has a ton of money invested in Mostert where they feel pressured to play him. If Achane is better, he will play. I don't buy the talk that Miami is a "crowded" backfield. Neither Wilson nor Mostert are top end backs and both, especially Mostert have pretty extensive injury histories.
I like this take. Miami's entire backfield is injury/concussion prone. Achane is a quality late round stash.

The more I read about Achane's pass catching skills, the more I like him. Not just a screen/check down type of pass catcher

Looking at the RB situation in Miami, I think he can have an be a 15 touch guy early. Not like Miami has a ton of money invested in Mostert where they feel pressured to play him. If Achane is better, he will play. I don't buy the talk that Miami is a "crowded" backfield. Neither Wilson nor Mostert are top end backs and both, especially Mostert have pretty extensive injury histories.
Yeah, I think 200 touches is a very reasonable over/under. Achane should be the leading receiver at the RB position, and at least the #2 rusher, as Mostert is pretty good when healthy, but the upside is pretty high in my opinion.

I've got Achane in the RB24-30 range right now.

Looking at the RB situation in Miami, I think he can be a 15 touch guy early. Not like Miami has a ton of money invested in Mostert where they feel pressured to play him. If Achane is better, he will play. I don't buy the talk that Miami is a "crowded" backfield. Neither Wilson nor Mostert are top end backs and both, especially Mostert have pretty extensive injury histories.
Pretty much where I am. If he can't withstand the workload there may be a couple unforeseen 5-7 touch games needing to navigate per season, but given his skills I think that'd still net a significant ROI.

Neither Wilson nor Mostert are top end backs and both, especially Mostert have pretty extensive injury histories.
Wilson is an extremely talented back, but he does bruise like a grape. Mostert is 31, and more fragile.

But you're underestimating Wilson a bit - first, he's familiar with the system from their time together in SF. Second, he's a capable and willing blocker. I have it as a split backfield of Wilson/Achane but I don't hate Achane for that at his rookie ADP. I agree if he sees 12-15 touches a game he's going to be plenty valuable in a fast paced MIA offense. And he does have fresh legs.

If he can block, and if he can learn the system, I'd say it's a split, with the edge going to the younger RB who hasn't been banged up every year.

Neither Wilson nor Mostert are top end backs and both, especially Mostert have pretty extensive injury histories.
Wilson is an extremely talented back, but he does bruise like a grape. Mostert is 31, and more fragile.

But you're underestimating Wilson a bit - first, he's familiar with the system from their time together in SF. Second, he's a capable and willing blocker. I have it as a split backfield of Wilson/Achane but I don't hate Achane for that at his rookie ADP. I agree if he sees 12-15 touches a game he's going to be plenty valuable in a fast paced MIA offense. And he does have fresh legs.
While I respect your opinion, calling Wilson “extremely” talented is a big stretch. He’s certainly capable but I think the success he had in SF was more system based. Nothing special IMO or SF would have kept him for depth even though he requested a trade after they acquired CMC. They only got a 5th and with Mitchell’s injury history and CMC having missed a lot of time the previous 2 seasons, I was surprised they moved Wilson that cheaply.

He is a different back certainly than either Achane or Mostert so he will be the 2nd half of the backfield but not someone I see as a threat to Achanes workload. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Achane win the lead role over Mostert fairly early in the season if not by the opener.

I feel very fortunate getting him at 2.10 somehow.

While I respect your opinion, calling Wilson “extremely” talented is a big stretch. He’s certainly capable but I think the success he had in SF was more system based. Nothing special IMO or SF would have kept him for depth even though he requested a trade after they acquired CMC. They only got a 5th and with Mitchell’s injury history and CMC having missed a lot of time the previous 2 seasons, I was surprised they moved Wilson that cheaply.

He is a different back certainly than either Achane or Mostert so he will be the 2nd half of the backfield but not someone I see as a threat to Achanes workload. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Achane win the lead role over Mostert fairly early in the season if not by the opener.
Mostert is pretty good when on the field. The problem is he's always nicked. I agree that Wilson is dependable most of the time, but has had his problem with injuries too. I believe what the Dolphins want to do is use Achane in certain ways and that isn't as a bell cow RB. Those wishing for 200 carries are out of their damn mind IMO.

Wow. Yes, you are. Your league mates will regret this.

As you should (y)

Mostert is pretty good when on the field. The problem is he's always nicked. I agree that Wilson is dependable most of the time, but has had his problem with injuries too. I believe what the Dolphins want to do is use Achane in certain ways and that isn't as a bell cow RB. Those wishing for 200 carries are out of their damn mind IMO.
Mostert is pretty good. When he is actually available. His biggest drawback beside being hurt a lot is he's a below average pass catcher. Is he a better runner than Achane? If they are equal, seems you would want the guy who is the better pass receiver on the field. We will see, but Achane taking over the Mostert role is very possible.

There's a clear consensus out of OTAs.

:lmao:
I mean everyone enjoys getting good reports about players they are invested in looking good when they hit the field vs NFL comp but this is for sure taking it a bit far in general and especially considering it's perfectly conducive environment for his skill set. As in mainly 7 on 7 and no tackling.

Again if you invested in Achane you like to hear this stuff, maybe even feel free to a get a little hyped up about it, but it's not the most reliable kind of info to bank on.

Too early to call but Achane looks like he brings PPR value as a safety valve for Tua under pressure. With Waddle & Hill stretching the field there should be plenty of yardage to chew on.

at the bottom of this article... He and Waddle have known each other a long time.

PBPost Hal Habib

https://twitter.com/gunnerhal/status/1661765731535527938?s=20
“Oh man, I’ve been knowing him since he was in high school,” Waddle said. “So I’ve known he has speed from when he was younger. So just having him on our team, it’s great.​
“Stay tuned, man. He’s going to be one to watch.”​
Achane attended Thurgood Marshall High in Missouri City, Texas. Waddle is from Episcopal High in Bellaire, 9 1/2 miles away. Even though Waddle, 24, is three years older, their bond dates back to their days in AAU basketball “when we were little,” Achane said.​
That connection appears to be helping the rookie adjust now.​
“Me and Jaylen Waddle, we’re really good friends,” Achane said. “We communicate, so I feel like me being there and the visit that I took and the interactions with the coaches were great as well. So I just feel like I was able to be myself and I was very, very comfortable.”​

Coach Jimbo says Achane is a throwback player who shows up to work, is humble, learns fast, is a team player as evidenced by playing in his final game vs LSU (38 carries for 215 yards) after missing 2 games due to a foot injury, is a family guy who won't get into trouble. His first love is football, a football player who runs track. Coach Jimbo says Archane is a great receiver who knows WR route trees and uses leverage and has good ball adjustment. I'm looking forward to seeing how the hype plays out with the Dolphins.

Users who are viewing this thread