What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB DeWayne McBride, MIN (1 Viewer)

Is it too much recency bias to call this guy the G5 version of Ken Walker? Great balance and tackle breaking, tendency to break long runs, basically nothing to speak of in the passing game.

Vikings selected UAB RB DeWayne McBride with the No. 222 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.​

McBride (5’11/209) enters the NFL with one of the best production profiles in the class. He ran for 1,713 yards in 2022, 1,371 yards in 2021, and averaged 73 yards per game as a true freshman but only appeared in six games. He also scored 32 times in his final two seasons. His absurd, 7.3 yards per carry on 484 career attempts speaks for itself. McBride is an extremely versatile runner who can handle any kind of scheme and wins with both power and finesse. On the downside, he caught five passes in three seasons at UAB and put the ball on the ground nine times over the past two years. He will need to clean that issue up if he wants to stay on the good side of future coaches, but his elite production could earn him a starting role early in his career.
Apr 29, 2023, 5:36 PM ET

Took him with the 5.04 pick in an ongoing rookie draft (Full IDP, 1 QB, PPR). He was the 15th RB off the board thus far. They went:

1. Bijan (1.01)
  2. Gibbs (1.02)
  3. Miller (1.05)
  4. Achane (1.11)
  5. Charbs (2.01)
  6. Spears (2.02)
  7. Roshon Johnson (2.07)
  8. Chase Brown (2.12)
  9. Zach Evans (3.04)
  10. Abinakanda (3.08)
  11. Bigsby (3.09)
  12. Eric Gray (4.04)
  13. Deuce Vaughn (4.07)
  14. Lew Nichols (5.02)
  15. McBride (5.04)

I traded Jimmy G to get the pick as I didn't need him in a 1 QB league when I have Hurts, Cousins, and Howell already. I also have Mattison already as well.

Took him with the 5.04 pick in an ongoing rookie draft (Full IDP, 1 QB, PPR). He was the 15th RB off the board thus far. They went:

1. Bijan (1.01)
  2. Gibbs (1.02)
  3. Miller (1.05)
  4. Achane (1.11)
  5. Charbs (2.01)
  6. Spears (2.02)
  7. Roshon Johnson (2.07)
  8. Chase Brown (2.12)
  9. Zach Evans (3.04)
  10. Abinakanda (3.08)
  11. Bigsby (3.09)
  12. Eric Gray (4.04)
  13. Deuce Vaughn (4.07)
  14. Lew Nichols (5.02)
  15. McBride (5.04)

I traded Jimmy G to get the pick as I didn't need him in a 1 QB league when I have Hurts, Cousins, and Howell already. I also have Mattison already as well.
I knew nothing about him but he was sitting there at pick 6.11 in a similar league so I drafted him. If the rumors about Cook being released as post June 1 cut, he (McBride) may have see some playing time in relief of Mattison.

McBride is another one that's going to be a steal. Dalvin is all but gone, Mattison is at the end of a deal and Kirky is 700 years old. It's looking good!

NFC rookies picked after NFL Draft Day 1 who could earn key roles in 2023: DeWayne McBride among 16 sleepers

RB DeWayne McBride
Drafted:
No. 222, seventh round
Impressive stat to know: Had a missed tackle forced rate of 36.1% in his three seasons at UAB

I'm way too enamored with McBride. I have to keep reminding myself he was a seventh-round pick. But if there's one position on the field that can reasonably make an impact being that late of a pick, it's running back, and McBride has the goods. I'm telling you. That missed-tackle rate doesn't happen by accident. And there's a (good?) chance Dalvin Cook isn't on the roster at the start of the season, right? That would leave only Alexander Mattison -- and 2022 late-rounder Ty Chandler -- ahead of McBride on the depth chart. McBride will contribute and could sneak into a vital role in Minnesota in Year 1. He's bouncy, with plus vision, and experience in a zone-blocking scheme .

@TylerIrelandNFL
Bummed about the Dalvin Cook news? Here's 8 minutes of DeWayne McBride highlights to help cheer you up.

In 2022, McBride ranked:
⚫️ 1st in rushing yards (1,713)
⚫️ 1st rush yards per game (155.7)
⚫️ 1st in yards per carry (7.35)
⚫️ 2nd in rushing TDs (19)

#Skol

This McBride seems more than half baked.
I just watched that and he looks a bit slow to me despite this being a highlight reel.

I guess he didn't test this at the combine or pro day due to hamstring issues.

I found something that said he ran 4.52 in high-school.

Not that speed is everything, just something I noticed from watching those highlights.

Could be wrong but like Nwangwu, McBride's traits are more akin to that of Mattison rather than the complement to him. If he can hold up I really like Ty Chandler's chance to emerge. The organization had great success pivoting away from the run & his versatility in the passing game is what they really like about him.

Vikings waived RB DeWayne McBride.
The fantasy community weeps for McBride, whose elite college metrics didn’t show up in Vikings training camp. Playing primarily as the third or fourth-string back in Minnesota’s preseason games, McBride rushed 20 times for 70 yards and two touchdowns and caught one pass for 11 yards. McBride will now pass through waivers and has a chance to be claimed by another team. It’s possible he will end up on the Vikings’ practice squad if he clears waivers.

Now what?
Practice squad as of this afternoon. I had hopes, but the production of Chandler combined with the Gaskin signing is a problem. A glass half full type might say they intended to get him to practice squad all along, but I suspect they too hoped to see more. I’m not seeing it in 2023, and how Mattison does this year may bring more competition in 2024. Just my $.02

Now what?
Practice squad as of this afternoon. I had hopes, but the production of Chandler combined with the Gaskin signing is a problem. A glass half full type might say they intended to get him to practice squad all along, but I suspect they too hoped to see more. I’m not seeing it in 2023, and how Mattison does this year may bring more competition in 2024. Just my $.02
Obviously it’s early in his career, but being released by a team with one of the weakest RB depth charts in the league doesn’t speak well to his chances of doing much at this level.

Now what?
Obviously it’s early in his career, but being released by a team with one of the weakest RB depth charts in the league doesn’t speak well to his chances of doing much at this level.
Already dumped to the waiver wire in a couple of my dynasty leagues. I suppose there are better dart throws......or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread