What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dontrell Hilliard, TEN (1 Viewer)

Dontrell Hilliard rushed seven times for 35 yards in Tennessee's Week 11 loss to Houston, adding eight catches for 47 yards on 10 targets.

Welcome to the modern NFL, where your practice-squad call-up backs suddenly get major load shares. Hilliard looked spry and was a big part of Tennessee's offense because he was the best receiving back they had in a massively negative game script. He was the Jeremy McNichols replacement. While he won't be a reliable option, if McNichols' concussion forces another missed game, Hilliard's workload may align well with how the Titans will have to play in Week 12's game at Foxboro. 

Nov 21, 2021, 5:03 PM ET

This is interesting. If I were betting I'd say Hilliard is the change of pace guy with Foreman taking the lead role.

"Despite his excellent showing Week 11, Hilliard could take more of a back seat to D'Onta Foreman and/or McNichols when the Titans are following a more positive game script than they did versus the Texans"

Last edited by a moderator:
Unsung Heroes: Dontrell Hilliard and Elijah Molden shine for Titans in Week 11

Excerpt:

Titans fans may not be in a very good move following that loss, but I did want to make sure that two under-the-radar players get their roses throughout the week: Running back Dontrell Hilliard and rookie cornerback Elijah Molden.

Starting with Hilliard, he was a standard practice squad elevation for this contest due to an injury to running back Jeremy McNichols. We speculated that Hilliard may serve as the third-down back in McNichols’ absence, but he was even more than that. Hilliard was surprisingly utilized as a between-the-tackles runner, and flashed some juice while carrying the football. He received a surprising amount of playing time early in the contest, and ultimately earned seven carries, gaining 35 yards. His five yards per carry led all Titans running backs, and his seven carries matched D’onta Foreman, who many thought would operate as the lead back.

With Tennessee falling behind by three scores in the third quarter, Hilliard saw an increased amount of snaps as Tennessee’s pass catching back. With Houston’s defense content to let Tannehill nickel-and-dime them, Hilliard was the checkdown option. He secured a team-high eight receptions for 47 yards. Hilliard proved himself capable of stepping up to the plate.

Dang...I was so close to starting this cat. What are the chances he gets some more run with this performance?

I'm in PPR and I think I'm going to go on all in on Hilliard in FAAB.  I already own Foreman and I'm not sure about Hilliard.  Mostly just to stop someone else

This game is so weird. I was very high on Hilliard this week because I thought the Patriots would roll and Hilliard would catch a bunch of dump off passes due to a fierce pass rush and playing catch-up.

Of course the Patriots roll and Hilliard has a big game but he only has two targets and scores most of his points on the ground.

Fantasy football is such an odd, odd creature.

This dude still has less than one page of information and he busted off a long TD run to gain notoriety. Adam Rank thinks he was the number 1 bench stash last week even having a bye this week. We really don't know much except what little explosion we did witness. Foreman appears to be the front runner as far as the most projected fantasy points moving forward, but is he? That's my question. I think Hilliard will be given enough time to shine to perhaps take over because Foreman just looks pedestrian. Thoughts moving forward on this backfield. Oh, I do own Henry and he sits in my IR. I do have Hilliard on the bench. He's taking up valuable space for now. Foreman is a FA pick up and nobody has room for him I guess. 

This dude still has less than one page of information and he busted off a long TD run to gain notoriety. Adam Rank thinks he was the number 1 bench stash last week even having a bye this week. We really don't know much except what little explosion we did witness. Foreman appears to be the front runner as far as the most projected fantasy points moving forward, but is he? That's my question. I think Hilliard will be given enough time to shine to perhaps take over because Foreman just looks pedestrian. Thoughts moving forward on this backfield. Oh, I do own Henry and he sits in my IR. I do have Hilliard on the bench. He's taking up valuable space for now. Foreman is a FA pick up and nobody has room for him I guess. 
I have Hilliard and Foreman in PPR. I think the notion of a take over is more "things we'd like to happen" than things that will happen. They will likely each represent between 40 - 60% of what fantasy points are there any given week. I will likely need to start one next week and I would defy the edge in projections given to Foreman and start Hilliard.

I have Hilliard and Foreman in PPR. I think the notion of a take over is more "things we'd like to happen" than things that will happen. They will likely each represent between 40 - 60% of what fantasy points are there any given week. I will likely need to start one next week and I would defy the edge in projections given to Foreman and start Hilliard.
Kinda what I figured would happen and then add J McNichols to the mix. I just can't see investing here. For my team I am asking do I hold Hilliard. Unless something more attractive comes along I guess so. I will most likely not be starting him with RB's: Patterson (rb, wr), Sanders, Hunt, Stephenson, Hilliard, and Henry on IR, but one never knows and RB's are valuable assets as each week the landscape changes. Not worth swapping out Hilliard with a Rex Burkhead or T Coleman type of player. Btw... I did cut M Carter loose instead of Hilliard thinking nobody would want him at least for another week. I was wrong, Carter got scooped. I may regret it, but I made the decision to give Hilliard a look. 

This is an interesting topic as I will also most likely have to start this guy next week. (CMC owner *sad trombone*). The wild card in this is how does McNichols factor back into the mix. The initial thought before last week was Hillard would take the McNichols 3rd down role and Foreman would be early down. Then last week happened. He clearly seems like he has the most juice of the three. And I’ve heard from some Browns fans that he looked decent in Cleveland, but was buried on the depth chart behind Chubb and Hunt. 

The matchup vs JAX next week isn’t a scary one. Their rush D is good, but I don’t see this game getting away from them so rushing should be in play. Would be very interested to hear some other opinions on this guy.

This is an interesting topic as I will also most likely have to start this guy next week. (CMC owner *sad trombone*). The wild card in this is how does McNichols factor back into the mix. The initial thought before last week was Hillard would take the McNichols 3rd down role and Foreman would be early down. Then last week happened. He clearly seems like he has the most juice of the three. And I’ve heard from some Browns fans that he looked decent in Cleveland, but was buried on the depth chart behind Chubb and Hunt. 

The matchup vs JAX next week isn’t a scary one. Their rush D is good, but I don’t see this game getting away from them so rushing should be in play. Would be very interested to hear some other opinions on this guy.
Where these guys reside on everyone's personal RB depth chart is always important but I am hesitant to move on from this situation because Tenn appears committed to the run and can (to a point) run with or without Henry and you can't say that about every team. I don't see anyone on my wire that is a no brainer over either foreman or Hilliard right now.

Titans beat writer John Glennon reports RB Dontrell Hilliard has "regularly made plays in camp.”​

Hilliard was a short-lived fantasy hero during the 2021 season. The fifth-year pro saw action after Derrick Henry's injury, and averaged 10.7 fantasy points per game over the last seven games of the season. Glennon notes that Hilliard's early success in camp likely led to the early dismissal of running back Jordan Wilkins, who was competing with Hilliard for third-down back duties. Hilliard is an interesting stash in deeper leagues, and could have some top-24 value in PPR leagues should Henry ever miss any time. Rookie RB Hassan Haskins would likely split the workload with Hilliard.
SOURCE: Sports Illustrated
Aug 18, 2022, 7:56 PM ET

The Athletic's Joe Rexrode writes that Dontrell Hilliard is "clearly the second-best running back on the roster" and "would get the bulk of the work" if Derrick Henry were to miss time.​

The Titans drafted Hassan Haskins this year, but it sounds like he hasn't done enough to really push Hilliard for a backup job yet. With his third-down role secure, Hilliard has some roads to solid fantasy production this year and makes an interesting late-round flier. Tennessee's schedule has plenty of cupcakes to feast on if Henry needs a breather.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 23, 2022, 2:52 PM ET

Dontrell Hilliard rushed four times for eight yards in the Titans' loss to the Giants, adding three receptions for 61 additional yards and two touchdowns.

A hero for part of the 2021 season, Hilliard turned in a strong Week 1 performance for the Titans, with most of his contributions coming in the passing game. He would score the Titans' first touchdown of the season on a seven-yard pass from Ryan Tannehill early in the first quarter, and broke off a 23-yard score late in the third to put the Titans up 20-13. Hilliard looked good in this one and appears to have a legitimate role as a pass-catcher out of the backfield. He only saw four targets on the day, but two of his receptions went for 20 or more yards. He'll be a popular waiver wire add this week, but shouldn't be viewed as anything more than a deep flex play as the rushing attempts still belong to Derrick Henry.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Titans RB Dontrell Hilliard (hamstring) is out for Week 2 against the Titans.​

Hilliard parlayed four carries and three targets into 69 combined yards and two scores in Week 1 but will now be sidelined for Monday Night Football. It shouldn't come as a surprise after Hilliard missed all three practices this week, but it opens the door for rookies Hassan Haskins and Julius Chestnut to see run behind Derrick Henry. It also opens up the possibility for Henry to see additional targets should the team decide against giving Haskins or Chestnut additional snaps. Consider Henry a locked-and-loaded RB1 for Week 2 even in a difficult matchup with the stout Bills defense.
Sep 17, 2022, 3:07 PM ET

Dontrell Hilliard (hamstring) was removed from the Week 3 injury report and will play against the Raiders.​

Hilliard got some run on passing downs in Week 1 and made the most of his opportunities. He went for 61 yards and two scores on three catches while also earning four carries. Hilliard's role isn't big enough to make him worth starting in fantasy lineups, but it does eliminate any hope of Derrick Henry seeing more than three targets.
Sep 23, 2022, 4:31 PM ET

Anyone else feel like he should be picked back up this week? Imo the top handcuff in the league right now and at least has some ppr value as the third down back.

Anyone else feel like he should be picked back up this week? Imo the top handcuff in the league right now and at least has some ppr value as the third down back.
I would if he didn’t have a hamstring issue. Henry looks slow, but this hamstring could hamper Hilliard all season.

Have to strongly disagree there. Plus, I'm not even sure he'd be the true handcuff to Henry. I could see a Hilliard/Haskins split if Henry went down.

Have to strongly disagree there. Plus, I'm not even sure he'd be the true handcuff to Henry. I could see a Hilliard/Haskins split if Henry went down.
The offense is putrid and will be behind most games. If henry gets hurt hillard will get most of the work due to being the receiving back and looked good last year and game one this year.

Disagree. He did look pretty good, but after Henry went down they gave him more than 10 rushes only once (7.8atts/gm) and his 4 targets a game were inflated by a massive outlier 10 target tilt. Foreman took over and handled all the heavy lifting. Hassan Haskins will probably step right into the role Foreman had last year, and Hillard will maintain his 3rd down back role.

I mean, I hope you're right... I scooped him up off the waiver wire too, but my expectations are vanishingly low. Nice first game true, but it certainly wasn't based on volume and good luck picking when he's going to turn four targets into two TD's again

Users who are viewing this thread