What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

The General said:
I find myself getting sucked in to this dumpster fire fantasy backfield...How much are people who are bidding putting in for this guy?

I was going to do like 10% and now every article is saying 20, 40, etc.

ETA: Lots of good info on previous page which I neglected to read before this post :lol:

I could be talked up to 20% but even that seems crazy.
its not a dumpster fire at all.  If you hit the right guy and he stays healthy you have a top 10 back.  A dumpster fire is some of the 3 headed monster backfields where nobody gets the majority of the carries and they dont run the ball particularly well as it is.  The SF backfield is gold....as long as you get the right one.  Im not sold quite yet that Sermon isnt that right guy.  Could be that he was sat down because of missing curfew like some have said.  Could be he was benched because he doesnt play special teams and  was the odd man out that will ascend to the starting role now that Mostert is out.  I wouldnt be blowing as much of my fab on Mitchell as other people are willing to so he wouldnt be on my roster there.  IF he falls to me as 3rd WW spot (pretty unlikely) I will grab him in my main league though.  

Here's what I gathered from this thread and some of my friends' leagues so far:

53 43 38 69 22 41 100 38 16 47 37 51 100 22 25 65 30 100 21 42 43 90 19

So pretty much no ####### idea what to do haha

I bid $53 and came in second to a bid of $70

For what it's worth I think Sermon was inactive because he didn't play special teams where Mitchell and Hasty do.  Now that Mostert is gone for the year I think Sermon takes the lead role and Hasty & Mitchell remain where they were going into week 1.  Mitchell probably played himself into more touches with his performance (even if it was against a terrible Detroit defense) but in the end I see Sermon with the majority of touches moving forward.  

Im curious:  To those whos personal fab bids varied wildly from on league to another.  Why?  Was it because you had varying needs at rb?  So dialed in at how  each league/ league mates usually bid?   Combination of those 2 things?  Something else Im not thinking about?  

Im curious:  To those whos personal fab bids varied wildly from on league to another.  Why?  Was it because you had varying needs at rb?  So dialed in at how  each league/ league mates usually bid?   Combination of those 2 things?  Something else Im not thinking about?  
I think it would depend on needs.

For me (and maybe this is an awful approach), it's because I simply have no idea how to value him.  I may go 25 40 55 70 across my 4 leagues and then I'm at least getting good value if I get him in the lower ones, and it averages out a bit. 

I’ve been playing with half our league 15-20 years. I know if it’s somebody going into the starting lineup, generally takes 25-40. If it’s midpoint or later in the season you might see 50 or 60 if that’s what the manager has left.

$0 waivers are rare, almost always $1-4 minimum unless it a speculative add nobody is really thinking about.

My guess is attrition will work outself out by the time Wilson is ready to return and they can always slow play activating Wilson from IR if they are enjoying the current RB production. Should all these RB's actually be healthy at that time it would still be in range before the trade deadline and for a position that everyone says is devalued there are a few teams in the league in need of some RB help and whatever that list looks like now it's only going to grow. So if they ever get to a point of needing to trip the RB room, my guess is they'd find a trade partner.
Good point. The Law of Conservation of Matter states that as soon as one Niners RB is healthy, another must be injured. Unless they're both injured.

So they now have:

Sermon
Mitchell

Hasty- he had one carry
Juszczyk- he's a blocking Fullback
Wilson- Maybe in November
Kerryon- hes on the practice squad and has been let go by numerous teams

My god.
I think you're making too much of this. The bolded 2 will be the only one's that have value until November.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're making too much of this. The bolded 2 will be the only one's that have value until November.
I'm more meaning the number of RB's that they have under contract right now.  Mostert too.  They're paying 6 RBs right now and that's not including anyone on the practice squad.

My personal difference was: for one league I have my full 100% bid budget available and given how the league bids, I know I'll most likely need to bid all of it to win. In the other league that's setup the same way, I've got 96% left and not as big of a RB need, so I went for a little over 50% of budget to feel like I'll have a good shot of winning if no one goes the full monty.

its not a dumpster fire at all.  If you hit the right guy and he stays healthy you have a top 10 back.  A dumpster fire is some of the 3 headed monster backfields where nobody gets the majority of the carries and they dont run the ball particularly well as it is.  The SF backfield is gold....as long as you get the right one.  Im not sold quite yet that Sermon isnt that right guy.  Could be that he was sat down because of missing curfew like some have said.  Could be he was benched because he doesnt play special teams and  was the odd man out that will ascend to the starting role now that Mostert is out.  I wouldnt be blowing as much of my fab on Mitchell as other people are willing to so he wouldnt be on my roster there.  IF he falls to me as 3rd WW spot (pretty unlikely) I will grab him in my main league though.  
Fantasy dumpster fire is what I’m referring to. It’s a crap shoot for 50% of your FAAB in the first week. 

A good gamble though just a bit steep for my blood!

I went $52 in one and $20 in another.  In the $52 league, I had Cook as a cheap keeper. I went all-in on McCaffrey in the auction draft, to give me the McCaffrey/Cook RB combo. In part because I went heavy on McCaffrey, I was left with just scraps toward the end of the draft (even their handcuffs went beyond my budget during the draft; I almost got Ty'Son Williams before the Edwards injury, but he went $1 beyond my remaining budget). So, I did not have RB depth. I was also left a bit short for a second flex (started Shenault in Week 1). So, I thought Mitchell gave me a solid RB in case of injury and can slide into flex (non-ppr).

In the $20, there are two flex spots, but one is a superflex. So, only had one flex spot where a RB makes sense to use. League-mates there are also more conservative with their bids and thought I'd be able to get him cheap, which I did (the next highest bid was just $11).  

49ers claim Trent Cannon off waivers. RW seems to think this is bad news for Sermon. I think they are just guessing at this point.

Placed a 50% bid and a 60% bid, lost both to 80% and 69%. I know it's unpredictable but I feel like I should have stuck to my guns of going nearly all in on him. 

My initial blind waiver bid for Mitchell was $51 Monday night. But I own Sermon, and I think it's risky to spend that kind of money of a player that might only start once or twice. So knowing I probably wouldn't get him, I bid $26. The winning bid was $34. Not a bad price.

My initial blind waiver bid for Mitchell was $51 Monday night. But I own Sermon, and I think it's risky to spend that kind of money of a player that might only start once or twice. So knowing I probably wouldn't get him, I bid $26. The winning bid was $34. Not a bad price.

Need percentage of bid $ imo. Or is it standard practice to assume $100 season budget? No offense, just curious what bids were on him and it's hard to tell that without a % or your season budget.

Didn't get him with 100% bid, lost on tie breakers. He went for 100% in the other league I did ~50% in as well.

Need percentage of bid $ imo. Or is it standard practice to assume $100 season budget? No offense, just curious what bids were on him and it's hard to tell that without a % or your season budget.

Sorry, yeah it was a. $100 FAB league.

Went for 100% and 49% in my two leagues.  My bids were 63% and 30% respectively.  

In the end, I think I'm glad I didn't get him, as I just don't think he remains their lead back the rest of the way.  In fact, I have little confidence that he is the lead back this weekend.  You always want the Shanahan lead back, but it's impossible to predict who that will be much beyond the current week, and even that is questionable in this situation.

Mitchell went for:

League 1- taken right before kickoff of Sundays game for free

League 2 (carryover 300 annually, league in 3rd year) - $313 (next couple bids were 223, 156, 150, 128, 126, 101)

League 3 (startup this year so total 300) - 189 (next couple bids were 156, 121, 101, 97)

So for league 2 the max someone could have is 900 if they never spent a dime all 3 years. Max blind bidding dollars a person has is 688 in this league and they are really inactive on the wire.

For league 3 max anyone could have is 300 since its startup year.  Guy that bid 189 bid 75% of their remaining blind bidding dollars.

Went for 100% and 49% in my two leagues.  My bids were 63% and 30% respectively.  

In the end, I think I'm glad I didn't get him, as I just don't think he remains their lead back the rest of the way.  In fact, I have little confidence that he is the lead back this weekend.  You always want the Shanahan lead back, but it's impossible to predict who that will be much beyond the current week, and even that is questionable in this situation.
Yeah, seems like he is going for top dollar without there being much assurance at all that he’ll be the lead guy. It’s not even like a James Robinson situation last year where it was clear he was going to be the lead guy. 

Bid on him in 5 leagues. Around 60% in each league.

Got him in 2 leagues by a few bucks

Other 3 leagues got outbid by bidders going 70% or more

Got Mitchell for 37 out of 100…definitely thought he’d go for more. I’m more excited about also adding Gainwell for 15. 

League 1: I won him with a 36% bid.

League 2: I bid 36% but he went for 50%.

League 3: He was grabbed for free off waivers just before Sunday's kickoff. 

nittanylion said:
I wholly and completely believe Sermon did something knuckleheaded; that Sunday was punative; and that whatever it was, it's water under the bridge,
Wouldn't that have come out by now if true? 

For sure.  But who?

Kerryon likely stays on practice roster.  Juszczyk can be kept as a FB.  But they can't keep 4 RBs+ a FB, so Wilson, Sermon, Mitchell, or Hasty is gonna get cut?  THat would be shocking.
They can keep "hiding" Wilson on IR, even if he's ready if the others are playing well.

There is value here whatever the outcome.   If Sermon takes over at some point then you have his backup for when he gets hurt.  

I went high on my FAAB too (about 35%) only because i drafted mostet/sermon as a combo.  Now that combo is sermon/mitchell

i have store wilson on my IR just in case

Users who are viewing this thread