What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

It has not been any secret that Mitchell is the clear RB1 when healthy.   Today's usage should not have surprised anyone. 

However, I think having Lance instead of Jimmy G at QB will hurt all SF RB's going forward. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It has not been any secret that Mitchell is the clear RB1 when healthy.   Today's usage should not have surprised anyone. 

However, I think having Lance instead of Jimmy G at QB will hurt all SF RB's going forward. 
It surprised me I admit. Not going to backpedal on my take that Sermon should have been the lead. SF is a mess. 

Shanny must really hate Sermon. Mitchell sucks

Explain, please. 
Nothing to explain. Coaches don't hat players, at least not often, and when they do it's because the player hurts the team.

Sermon doesn't play because he is a liability on the field. So the question is why is he a liability? Only. A few options; he doesn't care or he cares but can't figure out the play book.

I've been saying this for 3-4 pages now, tell me another plausible reason why he is sitting if Sermon is truly so much of a better player?

Nothing to explain. Coaches don't hat players, at least not often, and when they do it's because the player hurts the team.

Sermon doesn't play because he is a liability on the field. So the question is why is he a liability? Only. A few options; he doesn't care or he cares but can't figure out the play book.

I've been saying this for 3-4 pages now, tell me another plausible reason why he is sitting if Sermon is truly so much of a better player?
Sounds almost precisely like the Ty’Son Williams discussion. Hopefully this thread doesn’t get derailed in the same manner.

May have to let him go...and if I want to keep him...hope he doesn't get claimed in the bye week.

Struggling with multiple RBs not getting usage (Sanders, Sermon...even Swift to a degree).  And have to cover Patterson and Pitts bye weeks.

Patterson I can absorb by still starting Cooks and putting Claypool in I guess.  But need a TE and a drop to get him.  So Sermon or Jamaal Williams gets dropped...and AJ Dillon was dropped last week.  So may be liking him more recently than Sermon too.

Elijah Mitchell rushed nine times for 43 yards in the 49ers' Week 5 loss to the Cardinals, adding two catches for 19 additional yards. 

Active for the first time since Week 2, Mitchell dominated snaps and touches in the 49ers' running back group but was a distant second to Trey Lance in terms of carries and production. Mitchell did look highly explosive on his 11 handles, showing off his extra gear on a number of touches to the edge. Trey Sermon got the ball exactly one time. This remains a fluid situation, as the Niners could go back to Jimmy Garoppolo against the Colts following their Week 6 bye. Lance did not appear ready for prime time in the desert. If that's the case, Mitchell's touch floor will go up as his overall ceiling maybe comes down a bit. Speaking 14 days out, he will be a FLEX. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

Well as the 49ers come together he could be a league winner for some with that volume.  WIlson back soon though

killface said:
Well as the 49ers come together he could be a league winner for some with that volume.  WIlson back soon though
He has looked anything but a league winner. He's not good. Wilson might be the league winner. However, the entire run game has been a disappointment. 

Just noticed that Yahoo has dropped Eli's week 7 projection to 0.48 points. Do they know something that I don't?

I know he's no world-beater, but that's pretty harsh....

Just noticed that Yahoo has dropped Eli's week 7 projection to 0.48 points. Do they know something that I don't?

I know he's no world-beater, but that's pretty harsh....

Something must be up with their system. I just checked myself and they have Russell WIlson projected for 20.59pts too...so my guess is it's more Yahoo & less something you/ we missed

they have Russell WIlson projected for 20.59pts too..

That's strange....after reading your post I checked my Yahoo league, and they have Wilson on IR with 0 projected points...although they do have him projected for over 26 points next week against the Jags. Of course, he'll still be on IR next week.

:shrug:

That's strange....after reading your post I checked my Yahoo league, and they have Wilson on IR with 0 projected points...although they do have him projected for over 26 points next week against the Jags. Of course, he'll still be on IR next week.

:shrug:
Yeah, I noticed a bunch of weird projections earlier tonight. Someone probably ran the wrong script. Or maybe the hamster got tired ...

Anyway, just checked and the projections all appear back to normal.

So, what are you folks realistically projecting for Mr. Mitchell against a tough Indy rush D?
Really hard to say with such a small sample size. As of now, I have him in over McKissick in a non-PPR league, though I may swap them if Gibson sits.

Mitchell seems to be the man for SF, and likely no Lance this week to steal red-zone touches, so probably a decent chance at a score. Indy is 4th best in FPA to RBs, according to Yahoo, though it's not like they've shut down any stud RBs; Seattle, the Rams and of course the Tennessee Henrys all had good games against them yardage wise. The reason they're ranked so highly is because they've only allowed two TDs to RB (one to Henderson, one through the air to McNichols). Not sure if that tells us something or just means they're due for regression.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but outside of some decent carries in week 1, Mitchell has been kind of meh….

Sermon did produce with volume….

basically, Mitchell owners should not feel very secure….

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but outside of some decent carries in week 1, Mitchell has been kind of meh….

Sermon did produce with volume….

basically, Mitchell owners should not feel very secure….
Don't feel secure at all (especially with my other injuries).  Ive kept him as he is currently the guy getting the carries.  Hopefully in a few weeks I can get Carson back at some point...get Barkely back.  Then I don't have to worry about flexing him at all.

Been trying to deal him and can't even get the guy with AJ Dillon to come off of him (I have Aaron Jones).

Elijah Mitchell rushed 18 times for 107 yards and a touchdown in Week 7 against the Colts.

Mitchell rushed for 57 of his yards and a touchdown on the opening drive of the game. The 49ers featured him early, with nine first-half carries. Mitchell dominated the backfield, getting 66% of snaps, and only leaving the field on third downs for JaMycal Hasty. This was a needed rebound from Mitchell after he was held under 50 yards the previous two games. Jeff Wilson (knee) is nearing a return from the PUP list, but Mitchell looks set to hold down the 49ers' lead back role for at least the next couple weeks. 

Oct 25, 2021, 12:09 AM ET

IDK, the first drive he looked like the second coming of Shaun Alexander. The rest of the game he looked like the second coming of Devonta Booker.

Still not sure where I stand on this guy.

I thought he looked good throughout.  Little tougher in the second for sure but you can't average 8 ypc for ever.  

Clearly it's his backfield though

*Guy who bid the full monty on this guy*

*Also guy who will definitely finish with a top 3 pick this year*

HOLD or SELL?

Feeling HOLD big time. 

*Guy who bid the full monty on this guy*

*Also guy who will definitely finish with a top 3 pick this year*

HOLD or SELL?

Feeling HOLD big time. 

I think he is a hold. I'm not sure you would get much for him on the market right now

I also think there is a chance you see a coaching change in SF.  If that happens all bets are off

Clearly it's his backfield though
For now. We'll see what happens when Sermon & Wilson come back. If Wilson makes a full recovery, I expect a RBBC, but Mitchell is definitely a hold for dynasty.  I wouldn't write off Sermon for future seasons either, though. 

I also think there is a chance you see a coaching change in SF.  If that happens all bets are off
Shanny's contract has him there through 2025, so I doubt that. 

And with the drafting of a rookie QB, I believe he has at least a couple of years to prove he can build a winner around Lance. 

Shanny's contract has him there through 2025, so I doubt that. 

And with the drafting of a rookie QB, I believe he has at least a couple of years to prove he can build a winner around Lance. 

This team is badly underperforming though

That game last night was embarrassing

I can see them pulling the switch on this one.  Not saying it's super likely

Isn't Shanny one of the darling coaches in the NFL?
Rumor has it, yes. 

I still think he's a pretty good coach. His RBs are desirable because his system produces. He's been snakebit by QB in SF (and defense in ATL) but I'm not out on Shanny at all. 

Much of the fan base seems to be getting impatient with him though. 

Rumor has it, yes. 

I still think he's a pretty good coach. His RBs are desirable because his system produces. He's been snakebit by QB in SF (and defense in ATL) but I'm not out on Shanny at all. 

Much of the fan base seems to be getting impatient with him though. 
Agree here, but people's patience overall anymore seems to be "less" with basically everything. Not everything can be a quick 1/2 year turnaround. Fans should know this, considering they just drafted 3rd overall. I think he is a good coach, some bad luck etc. They'd be pretty crazy, personally, to axe him the year after drafting a QB assuming is "fit for his system"

Risky bringing in a new coach that doesn't know how to fully maximize a unique player's talents, that might not fit their system/scheme/offensive philosophy or like only run the ball 4 times a game. 

Ah, that makes sense then. If he comes back. I thought you might be referring to an injury situation.
only his pride. lol 

That said, they invested enough draft capital in him that I believe he will be part of the picture next year. I doubt any of the older backs will be, depending on where they're at health/contract-wise. 

Last edited by a moderator:
only his pride. lol 

That said, they invested enough draft capital in him that I believe he will be part of the picture next year. I doubt any of the older backs will be, depending on where they're at health/contract-wise. 
As an interested party, here's to hoping you're right. I'm holding. Just like I held AJ Brown when the emergency boats were being deployed a couple weeks ago.

IDK, the first drive he looked like the second coming of Shaun Alexander. The rest of the game he looked like the second coming of Devonta Booker.

Still not sure where I stand on this guy.
I'm about with you on that one. He looked so good, and then he looked like he was easier to tackle and left yards out there. Maybe I'm dreaming. But that first drive he was one cut and go and looked really good.

I'm about with you on that one. He looked so good, and then he looked like he was easier to tackle and left yards out there. Maybe I'm dreaming. But that first drive he was one cut and go and looked really good.
I consistently think Shanahan tries to outsmart himself. They averaged 10 ypc on the first drive then went 3 straight passes and 3 and out on the next drive. Yes, Indy adjusted but they only ran 42% of the time, during a monsoon.

Shanahan is now on pace for 1 winning season in 5 years.

He has looked anything but a league winner. He's not good. Wilson might be the league winner. However, the entire run game has been a disappointment. 

First time watching him last night. Can't agree with you. He looked very solid on just about every play. But his value is tied to Jimmy G starting. All the plays they called for him depend on a passing QB. If Lance starts again his value disappears. 

A solid 79.6 grade for Mitchell per pff. He was great in the first half then an afterthought in the 2nd half. 

>>Mitchell earned a career high grade in Week 7 while carrying the bulk of the 49ers workload in the backfield. The rookie posted a career-high 107 yards on 18 carries and a touchdown. Four of his 18 carries went for over 10 yards and 60 of his 107 yards came after contact while forcing two missed tackles.<<

https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-colts-pff-warner-mitchell-al-shaair-bosa-moseley-tomlinson-woerner-loss

First time watching him last night. Can't agree with you. He looked very solid on just about every play. But his value is tied to Jimmy G starting. All the plays they called for him depend on a passing QB. If Lance starts again his value disappears. 
First of all, you are quoting me from two weeks ago. However, I still don't think he is the long term solution.

I am avoiding this entire mess. 

Srsly, sheer? Is everybody that running back needy?
Guy is 1st place in his division at 4-3.  Chubb Hunt McCaffery at RB.  WRs are Adams Metcalf ARob and Kirk outside of Toney.  Good squad.

Mitchell may be perceived by some as the lead back/winner of the SF RB contest.  Coming off a sell high type game on SNF + Toney not necessarily being a starter for him, nor available a few more weeks....circumstances line up enough that I might be able to get away with the better long term asset here thanks to the immediate short term situation.  Worth a shot IMO, and I could add maybe Mooney or a 3rd to seal the deal depending on what (if any) response I get.

Guy is 1st place in his division at 4-3.  Chubb Hunt McCaffery at RB.  WRs are Adams Metcalf ARob and Kirk outside of Toney.  Good squad.

Mitchell may be perceived by some as the lead back/winner of the SF RB contest.  Coming off a sell high type game on SNF + Toney not necessarily being a starter for him, nor available a few more weeks....circumstances line up enough that I might be able to get away with the better long term asset here thanks to the immediate short term situation.  Worth a shot IMO, and I could add maybe Mooney or a 3rd to seal the deal depending on what (if any) response I get.
I should have asked if it was redraft or dynasty. I was thinking dynasty because that's my default now. What you're saying makes a ton of sense in redraft. 

I should have asked if it was redraft or dynasty. I was thinking dynasty because that's my default now. What you're saying makes a ton of sense in redraft. 
It is dynasty.   I guess I'm hoping to apply a redraft situation here to take advantage of the longer term dynasty trade.  I happen to like both of these guys, but I'm hoping RB positional scarcity overall and the 'potential' lottery ticket of Mitchell being a longer term viable starter for a top rushing offense, plus with his current situation will make this owner interested.  

It is dynasty.   I guess I'm hoping to apply a redraft situation here to take advantage of the longer term dynasty trade.  I happen to like both of these guys, but I'm hoping RB positional scarcity overall and the 'potential' lottery ticket of Mitchell being a longer term viable starter for a top rushing offense, plus with his current situation will make this owner interested.  
Yep, I get that, too. I see what you're putting down. I just think he'll have to be applying a real "going for it" attitude to want to make that deal -- or maybe he's scared away by Toney's attitude issues up to this point. One never knows, so best of luck! 

Certainly smoke 'em if you got 'em

But really, not looking all that great; not getting receptions; not the 3rd down back; Lance coming; Wilson coming back to take carries and goal line.

He's a sell now.

Users who are viewing this thread