What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

Are people still gonna pick up Mason on the waiver this week after the news of the Mack signing?
signing Mack to the practice squad seems irrelevant to Wilson or Mason….
I wouldn't call it irrelevant. They filled a positional need which doesn't say much, but they filled it with a guy who doesn't play STs, which is potentially very relevant.

We won't know until the active roster is set for Sunday but, if Mack is on it it's to backup Wilson.

I personally think Mack will be a healthy scratch in favor of TDP & Mason and is there in case of emergency.

But we'll see.

Are people still gonna pick up Mason on the waiver this week after the news of the Mack signing?
I wouldn't call it irrelevant. They filled a positional need which doesn't say much, but they filled it with a guy who doesn't play STs, which is potentially very relevant.

We won't know until the active roster is set for Sunday but, if Mack is on it it's to backup Wilson.

I personally think Mack will be a healthy scratch in favor of TDP & Mason and is there in case of emergency.

But we'll see.
I wouldn’t worry until he actually gets promoted. That will tell us the rookies are not ready. Otherwise, this is a depth move.

they were highly probable to sign another RB to the PS no matter how they felt about their current guys, so it’s not relevant at this point.

Last edited:

But we'll see.
I wouldn’t worry until he actually gets promoted. That will tell us the rookies are not ready. Otherwise, this is a depth move.

they were highly probable to sign another RB to the PS no matter how they felt about their current guys, so it’s not relevant at this point.
Yes after the last two seasons, they know Wilson isn’t lasting too long and they had to add another body.

What are we expecting from MIT he'll here? Wilson Jr. has looked good but I don't think he holds up and he isn't as dynamic as Mitchell.

At some point Shanahan thought Eli was the best of all these names that have had the RB1 job in San Fran. That's it, that's all I've got left to cling to.

I just wonder if Shanahan finally decides to rotate his backs.

It's idiotic to force feed guys who clearly can't hold up to the abuse.

Frankly I can't imagine a RB voluntarily playing for this guy.

Somebody dropped Mitchell. I know Wilson is looking good now too. SF is a run first sort of team with their stud D. I'm tempted to pick Elijah up but I'm not sold on him getting his whole job back. Anyone else predict more of a split backfield moving forward? Rendering each of them "meh".

Somebody dropped Mitchell. I know Wilson is looking good now too. SF is a run first sort of team with their stud D. I'm tempted to pick Elijah up but I'm not sold on him getting his whole job back. Anyone else predict more of a split backfield moving forward? Rendering each of them "meh".
I literally just picked him up in a league w/o IR slots. I think the system lets it be easy for RBBC but Eli is by far best talent when healthy So I think he gets at least the 60% share w/ a ramp up on the first week back. We are about a month out from the return timeline, so I am prolly 50/50 gonna be able to stash if I remain healthy thru the bye weeks, but if you have IR, no brainer pickup. He looks great for a playoff stretch IMO.

Also if you are dropping him for a 'stash guy' I think that makes sense, I don't think I'd drop him for a flex guy or someone you are likely to use during the bye weeks.

Curious what Mitchell owners would want in return considering it's still a few more weeks and bye weeks are hitting.

Assuming you have other holes, would a D. Henderson type do?

My. notes and what I expect when he returns.

-there is no doubt he is the RB1 and has been treated as the starter for a while now. They even flat cut Sermon, their 3rd RD pick from a year ago.
-Also need to understand they said he would miss at least 8 weeks/2 months, that puts him at about Week 9-10 for a return and I believe the first week or two, yes there would likely be a split.
-Jeff Wilson if you watch SF games, he's alright, he's not blazing a trail right now, he's putting in solid work on Sundays and they try not to abuse him. I don't see him get more than 1 or 2 carries before they move away from him and try other plays. Doubt we see many if any 20+ touch games from Wilson.

They want Elijah back for the Playoffs, there can't be a lot of debate about this. We can spin it all kinds of different ways but Shanahan makes no secrets about his loyalty to Elijah as his lead RB.
I wanted to cut Elijah, might have been better off but kept him in my I/R slot with Jeff Wilson deployed as my RB2 now every week.

Weeks 11-12-13-14 leading up to deep FF runs in redraft leagues, I expect him to have a significant role in the back half of the season.
I'm holding on to him right now, have gotten zero trade offers or anyone kicking tires, think I'm the only one in my leagues that know much about him frankly.

My. notes and what I expect when he returns.

-there is no doubt he is the RB1 and has been treated as the starter for a while now. They even flat cut Sermon, their 3rd RD pick from a year ago.
-Also need to understand they said he would miss at least 8 weeks/2 months, that puts him at about Week 9-10 for a return and I believe the first week or two, yes there would likely be a split.
-Jeff Wilson if you watch SF games, he's alright, he's not blazing a trail right now, he's putting in solid work on Sundays and they try not to abuse him. I don't see him get more than 1 or 2 carries before they move away from him and try other plays. Doubt we see many if any 20+ touch games from Wilson.

They want Elijah back for the Playoffs, there can't be a lot of debate about this. We can spin it all kinds of different ways but Shanahan makes no secrets about his loyalty to Elijah as his lead RB.
I wanted to cut Elijah, might have been better off but kept him in my I/R slot with Jeff Wilson deployed as my RB2 now every week.

Weeks 11-12-13-14 leading up to deep FF runs in redraft leagues, I expect him to have a significant role in the back half of the season.
I'm holding on to him right now, have gotten zero trade offers or anyone kicking tires, think I'm the only one in my leagues that know much about him frankly.
If I had an IR slot I would have stashed him, actually, the original owner would have I'm sure. Not positive I can get through byes and still hold him unless I drop B Robinson, hurt St. Brown, underperforming Pitts, Taysom, Doubs, Stevenson...but those guys seem to have more value right now.

Def Time to Add Mitchell.. he's being snapped up in a few leagues where roster size / liimited IR slots led to him being set down.
4th Best playoff schedule per PFF (behind CAR/MIN/BUF)

What is the history of this type of injury, and coming back in-season and playing to full capacity, or re-injury? I have doubts that the Elijah who started the season will look like the Elijah we might see towards the end of this season.

What is the history of this type of injury, and coming back in-season and playing to full capacity, or re-injury? I have doubts that the Elijah who started the season will look like the Elijah we might see towards the end of this season.
I'm not sure about the different grades, but usually a sprained mcl is 4-6 weeks and guys come back fine after them. Sounds like Mitchell's is more like 6-8 weeks, but seems pretty likely it won't be a factor once recovered. We probably see Mitchell week 10 after the niners bye.

When Mitchell returns, he will be the No 2 RB for San Fran. He's got lots of experience now for them and he is on a 6th rd rookie deal thru 2024, he's not going anywhere.

When Mitchell returns, he will be the No 2 RB for San Fran. He's got lots of experience now for them and he is on a 6th rd rookie deal thru 2024, he's not going anywhere.
I don't know man. Im wondering if SF made the trade because mitchel isnt progressing in the right direction on IR.

Mitchel was due back in a few weeks anyways.

I don't know man. Im wondering if SF made the trade because mitchel isnt progressing in the right direction on IR.

This. I viewed the McCaffrey trade as a big vote of no-confidence for Mitchell by Shanahan. Mitchell was a stud last season when healthy but staying healthy was a problem. He missed a combined 6 games from three separate injuries in 2021, missed the 2022 preseason due to a hamstring injury, and then went down Week 1 with the MCL injury to miss the first half of this season.

Shanahan has also shown he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing with his RB corps so he’s thrown significant capital at the problem. McCaffrey (provided he himself can overcome his durability issues) gives stability at the position Shanahan has never had before in San Francisco. Also keeps him away from the Rams, who desperately needed RB help themselves. But in doing so has effectively shut Mitchell’s path to being a full-time starting RB. It’s McCaffrey’s gig for the forseeable future. There would need to be a change of scenery for either McCaffrey or Mitchell in order for Mitchell to possibly get back full-time starter status in the NFL, and I wouldn’t bet on it happening.

I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that he’s McCaffrey’s direct backup either. Wilson is still around and healthy and effective, and for all we know Shanahan may bring back Wilson next year or another body to compete with Mitchell (who to this point has already missed 12 games and counting). I still think he’s a high upside talent, but his standalone value is gone and his immediate future looks murky. The team only invested a 6th round pick on him, so there’s no incentive to keep giving him chances as a starter. They’ll be just as happy to have a quality backup on a cheap rookie contract. Yet another cautionary tale concerning RB’s and draft capital.

Last edited:

How could they possibly trust Mitchell as their starting RB. He can not stay healthy.

How could they possibly trust Mitchell as their starting RB. He can not stay healthy.
Hence, the trade for McCaffrey.

What do you guys think his trade value to the cmc owner is now in dynasty leagues? I want out but I don’t think a third is good enough but a second seems high.

Well, at least he still has handcuff value (might be the king of the lottery tickets). CMC isn’t exactly an iron man

This is a weird train of logic.

Trade for a RB that can't stay healthy because they can't trust their RB because he can't stay healthy.

going to google who has been healthy for more games the last 2 years.

What do you guys think his trade value to the cmc owner is now in dynasty leagues? I want out but I don’t think a third is good enough but a second seems high.
I’d probably hold unless I got a late 2nd. The CMC owner has to be interested in him at that price given CMC’s injury history.

CMC will be hurt within 5 games. Shanahan's track record in SF and the style of offense he runs for his RB beats and pounds on them

Unless he is going to change how he runs his offense for CMC I definitely see him going down.

I’d probably hold unless I got a late 2nd. The CMC owner has to be interested in him at that price given CMC’s injury history.
Except there’s no clear handcuff. Wilson performed well. Not like Mitchell would have come back and supplanted Wilson.

At this point one would be lucky to get a 3rd.

CMC will be hurt within 5 games. Shanahan's track record in SF and the style of offense he runs for his RB beats and pounds on them

Unless he is going to change how he runs his offense for CMC I definitely see him going down.
I keep seeing this hot take and find it preposterous.

There’s nothing inherent to Shanahan’s offense that gets RBs hurt. They’re RBs. They get hurt. And the last several have had spotty injury history, so it shouldn’t be a shock they were injured. McKinnon was just bad luck - last play of the last day of preseason practice & he tore his ACL.

That had nothing to do with Shanahan. Nor did Mitchell’s knee.

If anything points to Shanny, it’s Shanny’s eye for “track stars” that’s the issue. They haven’t had a bruiser since Gore. Smaller / lighter backs seem to get hurt more often, which could also lead to this impression.

CMC has been hurt the last two years, but prior to that he had a nice run of good health.

There is no voodoo or hex on the 49ers, so making matter of fact statements about CMC “hurt within 5 days” makes you sound like a flat earthier, or a “moon made of cheeese-r”.

We should be better than that in the shark pool.

Last edited:

I keep seeing this hot take and find it preposterous.

There’s nothing inherent to Shanahan’s offense that gets RBs hurt. They’re RBs. They get hurt. And the last several have had spotty injury history, so it shouldn’t be a shock they were injured. McKinnon was just bad luck - last play of the last day of preseason practice & he tore his ACL.

That had nothing to do with Shanahan. Nor did Mitchell’s knee.

If anything points to Shanny, it’s Shanny’s eye for “track stars” that’s the issue. They haven’t had a bruiser since Gore. Smaller / lighter backs seem to get hurt more often, which could also lead to this impression.

CMC has been hurt the last two years, but prior to that he had a nice run of good health.

There is no voodoo or hex on the 49ers, so making matter of fact statements about CMC “hurt within 5 days” makes you sound like a flat earthier, or a “moon made of cheeese-r”.

We should be better than that in the shark pool.
You're optimistic, that's for sure ;)

So many lazy takes, especially with Shanahan. A lot of FF posters seem to really dislike him for some reason (maybe his dad) and are highly critical of him despite his success in SF. He took over a horrible team and can't really blame the first two seasons on him (especially after Jimmy tore his ACL in week 3 in 2018). Since then, a super bowl and an NFC championship game appearance. As a Niner fan, I get frustrated with his play calling sometimes, but WTF do I know? Excellent coach who takes a ton of criticism.

The "McCaffrey will get injured" crowd is really tiring. As you said, all RBs have a higher rate of injury. No more likely to get hurt than any other back. You mentioned Frank Gore. He was considered injury prone early in his career and then he wasn't.

You mentioned Frank Gore. He was considered injury prone early in his career and then he wasn't.
And Garrison Hearst, who had his share of bumps & bruises until the ankle necrosis finally got him.

But yeah - ANY team CMC could have gone to would seem to have identical injury risk. The oft repeated line of “in Shanahan’s system he’ll be hurt in X# of days” is ridiculous.

Could he get hurt in 5 games in SF? Sure. He could also get hurt in 5 games with Carolina, or Buffalo, or the Rams for that matter.

Trade for a RB that can't stay healthy because they can't trust their RB because he can't stay healthy.

You make some good points, but CMC is a much, much larger name and better back than Mitchel, so maybe SF didn't see it the same way.

All I know is you don't trade for a caliber of RB like CMC if you have trust and faith in your current RBs.

You make some good points, but CMC is a much, much larger name and better back than Mitchel, so maybe SF didn't see it the same way.

All I know is you don't trade for a caliber of RB like CMC if you have trust and faith in your current RBs.
...unless you intend to use him like the swiss army knife he is, which I think Kyle the mad scientist, ought to be inclined to do.

I'm hoping with all my might that Kyle is not going to disappoint. An 'offensive genius' with Mitchell/Wilson, Aiyuk, Kittle and 2 Offensive Weapons like Deebo and CMC could produce the kind of stuff I've been longing for since the Steelers had Kordell, Bettis, Burress, Ward, and Randle-El. Bettis came from the Notre Dame wishbone, Burress, with that build of his, was a man among boys, and the other 3 all were QB/RB/WR. The single wing/wishbone stuff they could have run out of that personnel group, that never happened...man, oh man. If Cowher had the balls to do it, I will always believe it could have taken the NFL by storm.

Fair statement, agreed. Big upgrade talent wise... I fear the injury side. It isn't just Mitchel getting hurt in that backfield, more like EVERY RB in that backfield gets hurt over the last several years.

49ers designated RB Elijah Mitchell from injured reserve.​

The 49ers have 21 days to activate Mitchell or place him on season-ending injured reserve. The second-year back hasn't played since Week 1 when he suffered a sprained MCL in a loss to the Bears. Once active, Mitchell will presumably take the RB2 role behind Christian McCaffrey, although his workload could be minimal given McCaffrey's status as an every-down back. Mitchell is worth a speculative stash in fantasy but won't be worth starting until we see how he mixes in with CMC.
Nov 7, 2022, 2:20 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Elijah Mitchell (knee) will be coming off injured reserve for Week 10 against the Chargers.​

He returns as a pure backup to Christian McCaffrey, but remains worthy of a fantasy roster spot as a backup. If McCaffrey is ever hurt, Mitchell will have the potential to mix in for some RB1 weeks. As things stand now, he's a stash-and-monitor player in fantasy leagues and San Francisco's general lack of usage for their No. 2 back portends a low workload for Mitchell.
Nov 11, 2022, 4:58 PM ET

Running back Elijah Mitchell (knee) was one of four players who saw their practice windows opened this week. Head coach Kyle Shanahan said that Mitchell was full-go in practice this week, and it sounds like he won't be limited in this weekend's game.

"He's full-go if he gets through this practice (on Friday) cleared," Lynch said on the Murph & Mac show. "I don't think there will be any restrictions on him. It will probably just be a conscious deal—let's not give him too much on his first game back."

Running back Elijah Mitchell (knee) was one of four players who saw their practice windows opened this week. Head coach Kyle Shanahan said that Mitchell was full-go in practice this week, and it sounds like he won't be limited in this weekend's game.

"He's full-go if he gets through this practice (on Friday) cleared," Lynch said on the Murph & Mac show. "I don't think there will be any restrictions on him. It will probably just be a conscious deal—let's not give him too much on his first game back."
Let's discuss WIng
-How many touches is Mitchell going to take from CMC? I'm not being funny, there's no way they are going to run CMC into the ground, it might bother some folks when they see something like this in the box score CMC-15 touches, 100 yds, TD, 3-4 catches, and Mitchell has another 50-60 yds and a TD.
-Niners are not going to want Jimmy G going over 25-30 passes a game if they can avoid it, Shanny is going to have 2 RB1s at his disposal, granted CMC much better but Mitchell is no slouch. And fresh legs in the 2nd and 4thQ of football games, this should be huge for the Niners who can just bludgeoned teams until they put 7-8 in the box and then it's play action to one of their talented WRs.

Let's discuss WIng
-How many touches is Mitchell going to take from CMC? I'm not being funny, there's no way they are going to run CMC into the ground, it might bother some folks when they see something like this in the box score CMC-15 touches, 100 yds, TD, 3-4 catches, and Mitchell has another 50-60 yds and a TD.
-Niners are not going to want Jimmy G going over 25-30 passes a game if they can avoid it, Shanny is going to have 2 RB1s at his disposal, granted CMC much better but Mitchell is no slouch. And fresh legs in the 2nd and 4thQ of football games, this should be huge for the Niners who can just bludgeoned teams until they put 7-8 in the box and then it's play action to one of their talented WRs.
Hard to say what Mitchell usage will be this week after missing 2 months, but moving forward, I definitely see 8-10 carries a game happening, which will put him about what you are predicting. Kyle wants to pummel teams running the ball and keep his defense fresh. Mitchell is a really good RB.

As far as FF, Deebo is going to have to have big plays in order to be more than a low #2, high #3 type receiver. I look at rankings and still see him in the top 15. I just don't see it despite his talent level. CMC is going to get a lot of the short passes that Deebo got previous and with Kittle healthy and Aiyuk playing well, I see the the passes being spread around pretty evenly. From a team standpoint, I'm really excited about the rest of the season but just don't think any one player will blow up in the passing game consistently.

there's no way they are going to run CMC into the ground
He won't???

Dude got 26 touches last week. Shanny has a long history of beating the ever loving 🙂 out of his RBs.

I would like to think he has learned something but where is the evidence to support that hope?

With Mitchell and Deebo back, the load will lighten a bit, but yeah, they didn't get CMC to touch the ball 15 times a game. Was surprised that Wilson only got 4 carries, but game was close until the end (which was annoying that CMC was still in) and they needed him. I think that having the bye week played into the heavy usage as well.

I do hope they limit the runs between center and guard for CMC and give more of those to Mitchell. Want to see more of the runs between guard and tackle and the edges for CMC where he takes less of a beating.

How many touches is Mitchell going to take from CMC? I'm not being funny, there's no way they are going to run CMC into the ground, it might bother some folks when they see something like this in the box score CMC-15 touches, 100 yds, TD, 3-4 catches, and Mitchell has another 50-60 yds and a TD.

Your guess is as good as mine, no telling what Kyle is thinking, or how he plans to split the carries. I wish he'd sprinkle in TD Price here and there, but Shanahan typically only gives 2 RBs carries in games - the KC game week 7 was the only game this season where 3 RBs got carries - but why not get the kid some reps late in games and maybe see what he can do?

I agree they want to limit Jimmy's passing, but with all these weapons I think were gonna see more short passes than were used to. Jimmy is really gonna like having CMC as a safety valve. Last week with Deebo out, McCaffrey led the 49ers in targets (9) and receptions (8). While I don't see him leading in overall targets this week, I think he's gonna get a ton of catches going forward, and if he catches 8 of every 9, you bet Jimmy's gonna lean on that and give him plenty of chances as a hot read.

All that said, Kyle wants to run the ball 30-40 times a game, I can see Cmac getting 20 carries, Mitchell 10-12 and a few WR sweeps

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread