What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (4 Viewers)

I've been getting him in the RB 20-24 area. I don't think there is too much thinking at that range. If he plays a full season he easily is a top 20-25 RB. In that range the only real question is do you like Ken Walker, Miles Sanders, Elijah Mitchell or Damien Harris better I suppose. I personally would rather roll with Zeke there.
I'd call it easy going with Zeke over those RB's as well but I mainly play in  FFPC drafts and he's going multiple rounds over those RB's in that format. More in the company of Akers, Hall and Montgomery types, in addition other talent available at other positions.

ericttspikes said:
I've been getting him in the RB 20-24 area. I don't think there is too much thinking at that range. If he plays a full season he easily is a top 20-25 RB. In that range the only real question is do you like Ken Walker, Miles Sanders, Elijah Mitchell or Damien Harris better I suppose. I personally would rather roll with Zeke there.
That is unbelievable. The guy finished RB6 on one wheel last year. 

No, but when we say Elliott was RB6, that’s total points.  But in terms of evaluating his performance, PPG indicate he was RB14.

Okay, this makes sense...  However the true indication is that PPG.  in our league with 1/2 point for receptions, he's 16th.  A bit miss leading here.  

Also, based on the number of games to TD ratio, he's 8th.  Fournette (10 in 14 games) and Henry (10 in 8 games).  A more truer indication

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
That’s very misleading though, right?

I find looking at rankings like that to evaluate a player is fools gold, at minimum. There’s a reason that he is slipping in this years drafts and it’s not because he was RB6 last season.  
Not misleading at all. He finished as RB6 last year. And most of that was hurt.

I understand the PPG argument, but the point is, the guy can be relied on. And if (and all players carry this) IF he can stay healthy, no reason he cannot be top 10 again this year.  

Not misleading at all. He finished as RB6 last year. And most of that was hurt.

I understand the PPG argument, but the point is, the guy can be relied on. And if (and all players carry this) IF he can stay healthy, no reason he cannot be top 10 again this year.  
This time of year, it’s mostly sharks that do drafts. So paying attention to these ADP’s over the years has helped me tremendously. These sharks this year are not on board with what you are selling. It doesn’t mean that you are wrong and that they are correct. So we’ll see how the 2022 season shakes out. But I tend to listen and pay attention to what the sharks are doing. 

This time of year, it’s mostly sharks that do drafts. So paying attention to these ADP’s over the years has helped me tremendously. These sharks this year are not on board with what you are selling. It doesn’t mean that you are wrong and that they are correct. So we’ll see how the 2022 season shakes out. But I tend to listen and pay attention to what the sharks are doing. 
This time of year is also when ADP is more influenced by dynasty leagues where any RB who is over 25 is being discounted.

This time of year is also when ADP is more influenced by dynasty leagues where any RB who is over 25 is being discounted.
I think this is a fair point, although even redraft pundits also seem to be shying away from him for similar reasons. Even on FantasyPros redraft rankings, I see he's listed as RB17 (vs RB25 in dynasty). 

zamboni said:
I think this is a fair point, although even redraft pundits also seem to be shying away from him for similar reasons. Even on FantasyPros redraft rankings, I see he's listed as RB17 (vs RB25 in dynasty). 
Well I'm no shark (more a celephod)but I think he presents value at that price in both formats 

zamboni said:
Well I'm no shark (more a celephod)but I think he presents value at that price in both formats 
Agree on redraft - not so sure about dynasty.

His ADP is so depressed compared to last year that it's hard not to think he's a value at first glance but I think he's appropriately priced. I do think he'll see a lot of volume but I likely won't end up with him on many teams.  I've seen the splits before and after injury but Zeke will play the season as a very old 27.  He has more than 1,600 career carries and almost 2,000 touches and it's hard not to think that he could continue to get banged up and be more susceptible to injuries.  There's very little chance that he's on the Cowboys next season, as the team has an out after this year, and it's entirely possible that they absolutely run him into the ground to get whatever they can out of him, but he still needs to be effective.  His carries look like this the last 4 years:

Pollard's look like this over the last 3 years:

This trend should continue and I wouldn't be surprised to see Zeke closer to 200-210 carries and Pollard closer to 165-180 carries this year. Zeke is being drafted as a mid-range RB2 and that feels about right to me.  I can see him having a season very similar to what Melvin Gordon did last year - around 1,100 total yards and 8 td's. And that's a productive season.  I just don't think the ceiling is what it used to be and I prefer ascending players (ie Breece, Etienne) in that same range who have a chance to be league-winners.

His ADP is so depressed compared to last year that it's hard not to think he's a value at first glance but I think he's appropriately priced.
I think this sums it up well.

As an example his ADP, which has been rising, in the FFPC/FBG leagues over last few days is basically tied with Hall, one spot ahead of Akers a few spots behind Connor and more then half a round ahead of David Montgomery.

Perhaps they are all value but again just comped to similar RB's I don't think Elliot's value stands out, that group is more of a pick your flavor to me.

Definitely feels like a downward pointing arrow.

Guy looks done to me.  Just going through the paces.
Most seem to agree, but it's hard to say for sure with the PCL injury happening so early in the season.

I imagine after a few weeks into the season, we'll have a pretty good idea about whether the trend last year was real or it was just a hampering injury thing.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Ezekiel Elliott "has to be the focus" in the run game this season.

Jones added, "There is room for (Tony) Pollard while Zeke is in there," but Jones banging the drum for Zeke makes too much sense. After all, it was him who gave Elliott a six-year, $90 million contract extension in 2019, a contract he's set to be on the hook for through the 2026 season -- otherwise known as Elliott's age-31 campaign. There's almost no chance that Elliott remains with the Cowboys for the full term of his contract -- the team could opt to cut him for a dead cap hit of $11.86 million next offseason if they wanted to. However, cutting ties with the three-time Pro Bowler becomes a bit more affordable after the 2023 season. Elliott battled through a torn PCL for much of last season and still managed to rush for over 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns. The 27-year old back is reportedly "completely healthy" and looking for a bounce back campaign this season. Often going around the fourth-round of fantasy drafts, a return to form would make Zeke a value at his current ADP.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 30, 2022, 2:55 PM ET

The Athletic's Bob Sturm believes that RB Ezekiel Elliott is entering his final season with the Cowboys.​

Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy went on record in July calling Elliott a "keystone" player for the Cowboys, and owner Jerry Jones has said that Zeke "has to be the focus" in the run game this season. So the team appears fully behind a bounce-back season for the former No. 4 overall pick. However, Elliott is entering his age-27 season and is attempting to bounce back from an injury-marred 2021. Even if Elliott can recapture some of his previous burst, Sturm notes that he is due nearly $17 million in 2023. The Cowboys can save nearly $11 million against the cap in 2023 if they trade or cut Elliott. Tony Pollard lurks as a more explosive runner and receiver; it's possible the Cowboys test Pollard in a larger role at some point, given that the 25-year-old is set to hit unrestricted free agency after the season. Ultimately, though, Elliott's 2023 standing may not impact his 2022 workload, particularly if the Cowboys are in position to make a playoff run, as expected.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 18, 2022, 10:56 AM ET

Per OTC and Sportrac, Zeke is due only 10.9MM in non-guaranteed base salary in 2023 and has a cap # of $16,720,000, so you're saving $4,860,000 if you trade Zeke. Unless they both have their info wrong or the article is confusing a post June 1st cut in their numbers which would free up another $5MM but shift it into 2024.

Ultimately it likely comes down to is if it was the injury that held him back and he's healthy and bounces back or is he actually done as to whether they part ways next year. Seems cheaper to let Pollard walk, draft someone to backup in 2023 and eventually replace Zeke who you cut or restructure to backup $ in 2024 (2023 draft should be amazing for RB's.) But that assumes you can squeeze hopefully another decent year or two out of Zeke.

Per OTC and Sportrac, Zeke is due only 10.9MM in non-guaranteed base salary in 2023 and has a cap # of $16,720,000, so you're saving $4,860,000 if you trade Zeke. Unless they both have their info wrong or the article is confusing a post June 1st cut in their numbers which would free up another $5MM but shift it into 2024.

Ultimately it likely comes down to is if it was the injury that held him back and he's healthy and bounces back or is he actually done as to whether they part ways next year. Seems cheaper to let Pollard walk, draft someone to backup in 2023 and eventually replace Zeke who you cut or restructure to backup $ in 2024 (2023 draft should be amazing for RB's.) But that assumes you can squeeze hopefully another decent year or two out of Zeke.
Plus Jerry loves Zeke. Sells a lot of jerseys

If he plays well this year, I can definitely see them working something out for another year or two

Ultimately it likely comes down to is if it was the injury that held him back and he's healthy and bounces back or is he actually done
He was just as mediocre in 2020 as 2021. The offensive line is older and lost a key piece in Collins and...Pollard.

It's tough to have high hopes for Zeke this year and beyond.

Play-by-play:

Zeke 7 yards
Pollard -8 yards
Zeke 6 yards
Zeke 5 yards
Zeke 2 yards
Pollard -1 yard
Zeke 7 yards
Pollard 1 yard
Zeke 5 yards
Pollard 6 yards
Zeke 6 yards
Zeke 7 yards
Zeke 5 yards
Pollard 6 yards
Pollard 1 yard
Zeke 2 yards

Let's not forget Zeke is BY FAR a better pass protector. And you wonder why your QB got hurt.

They abandoned him far too early.

Thought Zeke looked pretty good out there. Certainly nowhere near the player we saw earlier in his career, but a bit more burst and was breaking tackles. That said, between Dak out, seeming lack of use in the passing game (other than to block) and continued OL woes, I don't see a ton of upside for him. Or Pollard either for that matter.

Thought Zeke looked pretty good out there. Certainly nowhere near the player we saw earlier in his career, but a bit more burst and was breaking tackles. That said, between Dak out, seeming lack of use in the passing game (other than to block) and continued OL woes, I don't see a ton of upside for him. Or Pollard either for that matter.
Agreed. I took the Pollard end of the backfield in most leagues but that offense was clueless with Dak…penalties, line problems, no downfield threat…forget it now that Dak is out half the season. You might be able to spot start Zeke based on weaker matchups but I don’t see a lot of hope outside of that. Same goes for Pollard owners….this offense is DOA and McCarthy is a dead man walking.

My point is had they not gone away from Zeke, perhaps other things open up and maybe your QB isn't out half the season.
Possibly, but injuries are obviously fluky and can and do happen on any play. Might have happened anyway with or without Zeke.

Ezekiel Elliott logged a 58% snap share against the Buccaneers in Week 1.​

Elliott's snap share is notable because Tony Pollard wasn't far behind at 55%. For context, Elliott saw 66% of Dallas' snaps in 2021 with Pollard at 35%. Of course, the Cowboys were trailing for most of Week 1, which could have impacted Elliott's role to an extent. With Dak Prescott now set to miss 6-8 weeks, however, the Cowboys should be expected to spend some additional time in comeback mode. Elliott's outlook is significantly impacted by Prescott's absence. If he's also in close to an even split with Pollard, he will be a difficult weekly start.
Sep 12, 2022, 11:47 AM ET

Play-by-play:

Zeke 7 yards
Pollard -8 yards
Zeke 6 yards
Zeke 5 yards
Zeke 2 yards
Pollard -1 yard
Zeke 7 yards
Pollard 1 yard
Zeke 5 yards
Pollard 6 yards
Zeke 6 yards
Zeke 7 yards
Zeke 5 yards
Pollard 6 yards
Pollard 1 yard
Zeke 2 yards

Let's not forget Zeke is BY FAR a better pass protector. And you wonder why your QB got hurt.

They abandoned him far too early.
I thought he looked good. Consistent 5 yard runs against an excellent run D and after losing another starting offensive lineman.

Moving forward, the only chance the Cowboys have is to run Zeke 20 plus times a game.

The other teams are just going to stuff eight in the Box against Zeke. He'll be awesome at falling forward for four yards. He's great that way.

Let's face it -- without Dak, this offense is cooked. Stick a fork in the Cowboys. The only drama this season is whether Parsons gets the sack record. He just might.

Ezekiel Elliott rushed 15 times for 73 yards and one touchdown in the Cowboys' Week 3 win over the Giants Monday night.​

After posting rushing lines of 10/52 and 15/53 in Weeks 1 and 2, Elliott finally visited pay dirt for the first time this season with a one-yard touchdown plunge in the third quarter to tie the game at 13-13. Tony Pollard still out-shined him with a 13/105 rushing output, but he's not going away and was still involved at the goal line earlier in the game. The Cowboys are deploying a true timeshare out of the backfield. Elliott and Pollard saw one target apiece, with Elliott catching his for two yards, though he still has negative receiving yards on the year. Elliott will be a TD-or-bust RB2 next week against the Commanders.
Sep 26, 2022, 11:42 PM ET

Ezekiel Elliott rushed 13 times for 81 yards and a touchdown in the Cowboys' Week 6 loss to the Eagles, adding one reception for five additional yards.​

The low volume can best be attributed to the extreme negative game script against an Eagles team that jumped out to an early 20-0 lead, but Elliott rumbled for an electric 6.2 yards per carry against one of the best run defenses in the league. His third quarter touchdown was a thing of beauty as Zeke exploded into the second level, made one cut against a linebacker, and outran the strong side safety help to the front corner of the end zone. Backfield-mate Tony Pollard stayed a nuisance to his volume, handling 11 carries and three targets of his own. The Cowboys return home in Week 7 to host a Lions defense allowing almost 5.5 yards per running back carry through six weeks. The modest weekly volume and low pass game usage means Zeke should be viewed as a touchdown-dependent RB2 moving forward.
Oct 17, 2022, 12:18 AM ET

Zeke should be getting more carries. He looks really good this season. I like Pollard, but for some reason he reminds me of Jerious Norwood. Home run hitter but not a bell cow in the making. Zeke can still punish defenses, and allowing him to do so can only help Dallas win games. I wish I had a stake, I believe he's in for a great back half of the year provided Dallas doesn't start calling plays like the 2000 Rams when Dak comes back.

Ezekiel Elliott rushed 15 times for 57 yards and two touchdowns in the Cowboys' Week 7 win over the Lions.

Elliott wasn't targeted in the passing game. He clearly wasn't all that efficient with his runs, averaging 3.8 YPC against the Lions' bottom-feeding run defense, but Elliott was able to find the end zone twice with a pair of one-yard touchdown plunges. He now has three rushing scores in his last two games and four on the year, but Elliott has proven to be one of the most TD-dependent RB2 plays in fantasy. Tony Pollard out-gained him on the ground 83-57 despite seeing three fewer carries. Elliott gets another plum spot in Week 8 at home against the Bears.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said Ezekiel Elliott (knee) would not practice Wednesday.​

McCarthy said Elliott -- who sprained his knee in Week 7 against the Lions -- will work with the team's director of rehabilitation on Wednesday ahead of Dallas' Week 8 game against the Bears. Fantasy managers should expect Elliott, who has played through a multitude of injuries in recent years, to suit up and play in some capacity against Chicago. If he doesn't practice in the next couple days and rests his injured knee in Week 8, Tony Pollard would be an exciting RB1 option. The Bears have allowed the seventh highest rushing success rate this season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter
Oct 26, 2022, 11:52 AM ET

Zeke should be getting more carries. He looks really good this season. I like Pollard, but for some reason he reminds me of Jerious Norwood. Home run hitter but not a bell cow in the making. Zeke can still punish defenses, and allowing him to do so can only help Dallas win games. I wish I had a stake, I believe he's in for a great back half of the year provided Dallas doesn't start calling plays like the 2000 Rams when Dak comes back.

They are using both to keep them fresh. If you combine Zeke and Pollards carries they equel a heavy day at the office for a RB but without all the abuse to one guy.

This is (just one of many reasons,) why nobody will break Emmitt Smiths record.

They are using both to keep them fresh. If you combine Zeke and Pollards carries they equel a heavy day at the office for a RB but without all the abuse to one guy.

This is (just one of many reasons,) why nobody will break Emmitt Smiths record.

The legend of Cowboys' Emmitt Smith's NFL rushing record and why it might never be broken

Guess we find out what Pollard is made of. I still tend to think Zeke is the better RB. Pollard is flashier no doubt.

Gives Zeke this week and next to rest up.

Guess we find out what Pollard is made of. I still tend to think Zeke is the better RB. Pollard is flashier no doubt.

Gives Zeke this week and next to rest up.
I have little doubt that Zeke is the better RB in terms of a few of the important - if less fantasy relevant - things that are critical for the position: pass protection, getting tough yards, among them. Pollard is certainly more explosive but we'll see how he does having to handle all the feature back responsibilities.

The Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill reports Ezekiel Elliott (knee) "is not expected play [in Week 8] and rest knee for a couple of weeks."​

This reports comes as Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy insisted Elliott still had a chance to play in Week 8 against Chicago if he can practice on Saturday. With the team's bye looming in Week 9, it would make sense for Dallas to rest Elliott and get him ready for the stretch run in a run-first offense. Tony Pollard would be a tantalizing RB1 option against the Bears if Elliott is sidelined.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Clarence Hill on Twitter
Oct 28, 2022, 11:34 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread