What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, BAL (2 Viewers)

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins ran for 163 yards and two touchdowns and caught three passes for 58 yards in a 38-7 blowout win over Wisconsin on Saturday.

This was supposed to be the Dobbins vs. Jonathan Taylor show. It was a pretty lopsided show, if we're being honest. Taylor was held to 52 yards, and Dobbins (5'10/217) had absolutely no issues finding holes in the Badgers' front seven. He also showed off his underrated play as a receiver, bailing out Justin Fields a couple of times when Fields was under pressure. H picked up a nine-yard score in the third, and added a 14-yard trip to paydirt near the top of the fourth quarter. Simply put, Dobbins has been as good -- if not better -- than any tailback in the country. Expect him to have another huge game after the Buckeyes' bye when he faces off against Maryland.

Oct 26, 2019, 3:08 PM ET

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins carried the ball 18 times for 121 yards and a touchdown and caught three passes for 30 yards and a score in a 52-3 rout of Northwestern on Friday.

Once again, Dobbins (5'10/217) was outstanding on Friday, and once again, the day could have been even bigger -- statistically, anyway -- if this game was remotely close. It wasn't. He connected on a 19-yard touchdown pass from the right arm of Justin Fields in the second quarter, and he found paydirt again on a five-yard plunge a possession later. Dobbins will square off against Jonathan Taylor and Wisconsin next Saturday, and that will be a must-watch contest.

Oct 18, 2019, 11:46 PM ET

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins ran for 172 yards on 24 carries with a touchdown in a 34-10 blowout victory over Michigan State on Saturday.

The Michigan State run defense is normally very good. It didn't look like it on Saturday, and almost all of that has to do with Dobbins (5-foot-10, 217). The biggest play was a 67-yard scamper for a touchdown where he showed his ability to breakaway, but there were several more big runs in this one, and the only reason this didn't become an all-timer is because there was no reason to keep running him with the Buckeyes up three scores. Dobbins will add to his totals in two weeks when Ohio State faces Northwestern next Friday.

Oct 5, 2019, 11:05 PM ET

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins ran for 177 yards on 24 carries in a 48-7 blowout victory over Nebraska on Saturday.

The only thing Dobbins didn't do was get into the end zone, but it's fair to say that the Buckeyes don't put up the kind of numbers they did against the Cornhuskers on Saturday. The 5-foot-10, 217-pound tailback was given plenty of room to operate, and he's a very tough tackle in the open field. Dobbins will have plenty of games where he finds the end zone, but he does face the toughest run-defense in the country next Saturday in Michigan State.

Sep 28, 2019, 10:40 PM ET

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins ran for 193 yards and a score and caught two passes for 23 yards with a touchdown in a 51-10 demolishing of Indiana on Saturday.

A great game for Dobbins, and it could have been an even bigger effort if this game was remotely close. It was not. Dobbins showed off an impressive stiff arm again, and he scored from 26-yards out to give the Buckeyes a 30-3 lead late in the third quarter. He added another score on a four-yard pass from Justin Fields, and that was the end of both of their days. Dobbins should have another big game -- until the game becomes a blowout -- against Miami of Ohio next Saturday.

Sep 14, 2019, 3:24 PM ET

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins carried the ball 17 times for 141 yards and two scores in a 42-0 rout of Cincinnati on Saturday.

Dobbins had a monster game, and it's even more impressive when you consider that he didn't have many touches after the first half. Both scores came in the second quarter; a four-yard plunge that was followed by an impressive 60-yard scamper that gave the Buckeyes a 21-0 lead. Dobbins (5'10/217) is going to have a tremendous year as long as he stays healthy, and he should have another big game next weekend against the Hoosiers of Indiana.

Sep 7, 2019, 3:13 PM ET

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins rushed for 91 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries in Saturday's 45-21 win over FAU.

Dobbins (5'10/217) might have come away with 91 yards rushing, but make no mistake, this was a somewhat dull performance out of the junior. He managed just 4.3 YPC with a long run of 17 yards on the afternoon. OSU will tango with Cincinnati next weekend as Dobbins tries to find himself. Saturday's showing did nothing to move his draft needle.

Aug 31, 2019, 4:06 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins received a first-round grade from Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline.

In a draft class loaded with running back talent, it's hard to envision Dobbins (5'10/217) actually being selected in the first-round right now unless he shows more top speed than he had last season. Dobbins, however, does offer a potential three-down workload as a back who can run between the tackles and catch passes, so, worst case, Dobbins becomes a capable pass-catching back in the NFL. For now, consider Dobbins a Day 2 prospect with some upside.

SOURCE: Draft Analyst

Jul 19, 2019, 7:39 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. writes that Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins "looked less explosive last season."

While Kiper does rank Dobbins as his No. 2 underclassman back for draft purposes (behind only Clemson's Travis Etienne), the venerable analyst would like to see something of a bounce-back effort from the 5-foot-10, 214-pound junior this fall. Dobbins bounded out to the tune of 1,403 rushing yards (7.2 YPC) and seven touchdowns as a true freshman in 2017 before dropping off to 1,053 rushing yards (4.6 YPC) and 10 touchdowns for the past campaign. At least one reason for the notable dip was probably the reemergence of Mike Weber, who took 71 more carries off the table in 2018 than he did in 2017. Dobbins will have the backfield more/less all to himself upcoming as he looks to put his best foot forward in advance of a potential NFL Draft declaration this winter.

SOURCE: ESPN Insider

May 17, 2019, 10:57 AM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranks Ohio State junior J.K. Dobbins as his RB4 ahead of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Dobbins (5'10/214) is arguably being a tad overlooked in this stacked 2020 skill position class, but he'll be the focal point of the 2019 Ohio State offense and will likely enter the pre-draft process with a Day 2 grade. As a sophomore with Dwayne Haskins, Dobbins reached 1,053 rushing yards (4.6 YPC) and 10 touchdowns while catching 26 passes for 263 yards.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

May 10, 2019, 10:22 PM ET

I have him n 2 devy leagues :)   Taylor is getting most of the hype but Dobbins may just be the better back in the NFL.

I see Devonte Freeman, no deep speed, so I am probably out at his price.  I'm a raging Buckeye fan so would love to buy in, but if people are putting him in the conversation with Swift and Taylor I think they'll be disappointed after the combine.  I suppose he could end up in KCC and change everything but short of a bonanza situation I like other options at the price.

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins takes 12 carries for 90 yards and two touchdowns in Saturday's 73-14 win over Maryland.

Dobbins (5'10/217) took a majority of the early carries before the game got entirely out of hand. The Buckeyes being up 42-0 at the half ended Dobbins' day prematurely. In his limited action, Dobbins spearheaded a relentless scoring effort from the Buckeyes offense, including two touchdowns of his own. With Rutgers on schedule for next week, expect a similar performance from Dobbins and Ohio State.

Nov 9, 2019, 4:09 PM ET

Ohio State junior RB J.K Dobbins ran the ball 17 times for 89 yards and two touchdowns in Saturday's 56-21 win over Rutgers.

Ohio State spread the ball around their backs throughout the game, especially once they amassed a clear lead, but Dobbins (5'10/217) still got enough chances to do his thing. Dobbins could not find that one crazy run he typically does, but consistently chunked the Rutgers defense for five yards here, seven yards here, eight yards here, etc. What Dobbins did find, though, was his third game in a row with two rushing touchdowns, bringing his season total all the way up to 13.

Nov 16, 2019, 7:11 PM ET

Daniel Jeremiah‏Verified account @MoveTheSticks

Ohio St RB JK Dobbins is my type of player. All day tough, aggressive and instinctive. He’s also very natural/easy catching the ball out of the backfield. Built for success at the next level. https://www.instagram.com/p/B5Jn434BZI4/?igshid=tjhr4b2cbyju …

6:07 PM - 21 Nov 2019

LINK - INSTAGRAM Video of JK Dobbins

Daniel Jeremiah‏Verified account @MoveTheSticks

Ohio St RB JK Dobbins is my type of player. All day tough, aggressive and instinctive. He’s also very natural/easy catching the ball out of the backfield. Built for success at the next level. https://www.instagram.com/p/B5Jn434BZI4/?igshid=tjhr4b2cbyju …

6:07 PM - 21 Nov 2019

LINK - INSTAGRAM Video of JK Dobbins
I drafted him in 2 devy leagues 2018, taking him over Taylor.  As much as I love Dobbins, if I had it to do over I would have taken Taylor.  However, I do like the year Dobbins is having this year.  FYI, Swift went 1.05 last year.  That league drafts devys separate from the regular rookie draft.  In another devy league where we combine the devy and rookie draft, I took Dobbins 1.08 and Taylor went 1.12.  Again, another league I should have taken Taylor.

I drafted him in 2 devy leagues 2018, taking him over Taylor.  As much as I love Dobbins, if I had it to do over I would have taken Taylor.  However, I do like the year Dobbins is having this year.  FYI, Swift went 1.05 last year.  That league drafts devys separate from the regular rookie draft.  In another devy league where we combine the devy and rookie draft, I took Dobbins 1.08 and Taylor went 1.12.  Again, another league I should have taken Taylor.
Why did you select Dobbins?

Tex

Why did you select Dobbins?

Tex
At the time I liked him more than Taylor after watching him every week.  My stepson is an OSU graduate, so I married into the Buckeye family years ago.  I felt Taylor was a big back that wouldn't be as successful in the NFL long term.

Ooooofffff
I agree and said as much in my post "up there".  If I had it to do over I would have taken Taylor, but it looks like I'm going to be happy with Dobbins.  We all do it and sometimes pay the price, but sometimes it works out anyway ;)

I agree and said as much in my post "up there".  If I had it to do over I would have taken Taylor, but it looks like I'm going to be happy with Dobbins.  We all do it and sometimes pay the price, but sometimes it works out anyway ;)
Agreed, Dobbins could likely be drafted by a better team. With that 1.5 pick I could see a scenario where I choose Dobbins over Taylor. It’s not like you made a bad decision. Honestly, Taylor is clearly gifted yet I have seen him play against any stiff competition yet. I’d like to see if he can maintain that same production.

Tex

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins rushed for 157 yards and two touchdowns on 36 carries in Saturday's 28-17 win over Penn State.

Dobbins (5'10/217) scored on short touchdown runs in the first and second quarters. For those nice offensive contributions, the junior also had a costly fumble midway through the third quarter which allowed PSU a little life -- the Nits would pull to within 21-17 heading into the fourth quarter -- but OSU stabilized nicely down the stretch. This was Dobbins' seventh 100-yard rushing game of the campaign. His 36 carries on Saturday were the second-most he has ever taken in a collegiate contest. Dobbins will look to put a hurting on Michigan in the team's regular-season finale next weekend as the Big Ten East champion Buckeyes begin to turn their eyes toward the Playoff in earnest.

Nov 23, 2019, 3:51 PM ET

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins rushed for 211 yards and four touchdowns on 31 carries in Saturday's 56-27 win over Michigan.

Dobbins (5'10/217) helped to calm OSU's offense after Justin Fields started out a touch erratic through the air. The standout junior scored on a five-yard run midway through the first quarter and punched in two more short scores in the second quarter before putting the exclamation point on his huge day via a 33-yard fourth-quarter touchdown scamper. Dobbins wraps the regular season having rushed for 1,657 yards and 19 touchdowns across 12 games played. He has now scored multiple touchdowns in five consecutive games. He has also now turned in eight contests over 100 yards rushing. Dobbins and crew will face off with either Minnesota or Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game next weekend, pending the upcoming outcome of Saturday's contest between the Gophs and Badgers.

Nov 30, 2019, 3:58 PM ET

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins picked up 172 yards on the ground on 33 carries in a 34-21 win over Wisconsin on Saturday in the Big Ten Championship Game.

Dobbins and the Buckeyes could get very little going in the first half against the Badgers, but he was able to score the one touchdown for Ohio State in the first two quarters, and it was the 20th touchdown of the season on the ground for the junior. He really picked things up in the second half -- as did the entire Ohio State team -- and while he didn't score again, his impressive ability to make something out of nothing was readily apparent. Dobbins has a real shot at a 2,000-yard season, and his next chance to add to his total will come on December 28 in a playoff game against Oklahoma or Clemson.

Dec 7, 2019, 11:50 PM ET

Feeling good that he’s on two of my Devy leagues.  I’m  glad I didn’t trade him after a down year last year.  Nobody wanted him.  :stickmytoungeout:

Def gimpy still. Had a heck of a block in pass pro a few plays ago. Natural hands catcher despite the 2 drops earlier.

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins (ankle) carried the ball 18 times for 174 yards with a touchdown in a 29-23 loss to Clemson on Saturday in the Playstation Fiesta Bowl.

Dobbins was absolutely obliterating Clemson early in this contest, and he gave the Buckeyes a 10-0 lead with a very impressive 68-yard run in the middle of the second quarter. Unfortunately, the 5-foot-10, 217-pound tailback picked up an ankle injury early in the second half, and Dobbins was not nearly as effective over those final two periods. He went over the 2,000-yard mark in this contest, and passed Eddie George as the all-time leading OSU rusher. Dobbins is likely off to the NFL, and will be one of -- if not the -- first rushers off the board come April.

Dec 29, 2019, 12:07 AM ET

He looked plenty fast enough on those two runs.
He looks fast enough to me also. Obviously 4.4 speed is a nice attribute for a RB to have but how often does it come into play? Dobbins burst looks elite and that alone will allow some big runs.

He's going to be a stud in the NFL. Not sure how he'll fare against the other RB prospects at the combine but in games he's going to be a stud.

He's the taller MJD to Etienne's bigger Chris Johnson impression. 

Dobbins' burst and speed is less obvious than Etienne's insane acceleration, but he looks like he will be a better overall back. 

I keep flip flopping them in my rankings but at this point I am thinking that Dobbins is the better football player and Ettiene is the better athlete. Both of these guys are studs though, I love this class.  There might be 3 Chubbs and a Kamara even though there isn't a Saquon. 

I’ll be happy if Dobbins runs a subpar 40 at the combine. Anything to drop him down a spot or two in peoples’ RB rankings, esp with these guys a bit bunched up. 

He looks fast enough to me also. Obviously 4.4 speed is a nice attribute for a RB to have but how often does it come into play? Dobbins burst looks elite and that alone will allow some big runs.
I am projecting him to run in the low 4.4 range, possibly even 4.40.

He ran a 4.44 coming out of high school and players usually get a little faster vs a little slower from high school recruiting combine. If they do get slower it usually isn't much. 

Dobbins, Taylor, Swift, Etiene. All will come down to where they go. Is Houston the top spot to land?

Dobbins, Taylor, Swift, Etiene. All will come down to where they go. Is Houston the top spot to land?
One good thing is, there's potentially a lot of good landing spots for running backs: Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Houston. And also Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Chicago wouldn't be bad. 

Could be a bad year to holdJames Conner or David Montgomery. 

Users who are viewing this thread