What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

Ohio State junior RB J.K. Dobbins was impressive in all facets of the Buckeyes' PlayStation Fiesta Bowl loss to Clemson in the eyes of Pro Football Network draft analyst Tony Pauline.

Dobbins (5'10/217) has yet to make a decision regarding the NFL Draft, but if he were to forego his final season of eligibility the junior would be one of the first backs off the board. And it's because of the fact that he excels in all facets, be it as a runner, receiver or blocker. "Earlier this season, when I listed Dobbins as a riser, I mentioned he’s a complete player at the running back position as a ball carrier, pass catcher, and blocker," Pauline wrote Saturday night. Dobbins is the second-leading rusher in Ohio State history, trailing only the great Archie Griffin.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Dec 29, 2019, 5:28 PM ET

I've come around quite a bit on Dobbins.  I was so excited as a freshman, man he looked exactly like Archie Griffin did.  Then his sophomore year came and he just didn't look like the same guy - maybe he was hurt?  I know part of that was philosophy to split with Weber but even when Weber was out early with injuries Dobbins didn't excel.  That plus him getting caught from behind on seemingly every long run I saw of him had me a bit down on him, perhaps overly so.

I'm still concerned about deep speed but man everything else looks really, really special.  Nice power for his size, really good vision, jump cut, bendy in the open field and around the edges.  Excellent/elite short area burst.  Good enough in the passing game and looks like he could excel there if asked to.  Physically he reminds me of Emmitt Smith, HOF level accomplishments aside.  If he can just be "fast enough" he's got a good chance to be the best of this class.  Combine will be very, very interesting here.

I've come around quite a bit on Dobbins.  I was so excited as a freshman, man he looked exactly like Archie Griffin did.  Then his sophomore year came and he just didn't look like the same guy - maybe he was hurt?  I know part of that was philosophy to split with Weber but even when Weber was out early with injuries Dobbins didn't excel.  That plus him getting caught from behind on seemingly every long run I saw of him had me a bit down on him, perhaps overly so.

I'm still concerned about deep speed but man everything else looks really, really special.  Nice power for his size, really good vision, jump cut, bendy in the open field and around the edges.  Excellent/elite short area burst.  Good enough in the passing game and looks like he could excel there if asked to.  Physically he reminds me of Emmitt Smith, HOF level accomplishments aside.  If he can just be "fast enough" he's got a good chance to be the best of this class.  Combine will be very, very interesting here.
He looked plenty fast against Clemson.  It would really help Dobbins if a playoff team selects him.

He looked plenty fast against Clemson.  It would really help Dobbins if a playoff team selects him.
Agreed, that's why I said I have come around a lot, but he still got caught from behind by a LB.  Maybe some Clemson or OKST homers can chime in - how often do ETN or Chuba get run down from behind?

Agreed, that's why I said I have come around a lot, but he still got caught from behind by a LB.  Maybe some Clemson or OKST homers can chime in - how often do ETN or Chuba get run down from behind?
Tripped him with a finger from behind.....barely.   On his TD run he out ran everyone and looked like he was shot out of a cannon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tripped him with a finger from behind.....barely.   On his TD run he out ran everyone and looked like he was shot out of a cannon.
Right - caught from behind.  NFL players make this kind of play in their sleep.

I've said multiple times he has plenty of talent to succeed in the NFL, I don't know why you keep coming back to this one observation of mine. 

Tampa, Pitt, Indy, ATL all would be great spots.....aside from some of the other obvious teams who need a running back.

Tex

Tampa, Pitt, Indy, ATL all would be great spots.....aside from some of the other obvious teams who need a running back.

Tex
Why would each of those teams pick a RB early? To me, none of those teams have a glaring need at the position barring free agency. 

Right - caught from behind.  NFL players make this kind of play in their sleep.

I've said multiple times he has plenty of talent to succeed in the NFL, I don't know why you keep coming back to this one observation of mine. 
...because you make it sound like he was easily caught from behind and if you watch the run that isn't the case at all.  You didn't talk about the run where he scored. 

I’ve watched every Clemson game this year and never saw ETN get caught from behind. I believe he runs a 4.38 forty.

Tex

I love me some ETN and have recently traded for him, but Dobbins looked better the other night.
Ohio St. plan was to stop ETN at all cost, do not let him get loose. I guess they forgot he can catch and they were right. He’s the one that balances out that talented Clemson team. Once he got going he put that team on his back and beat Ohio St. He was impressive as usual and silenced the critics at the same time.

Tex

Ohio St. plan was to stop ETN at all cost, do not let him get loose. I guess they forgot he can catch and they were right. He’s the one that balances out that talented Clemson team. Once he got going he put that team on his back and beat Ohio St. He was impressive as usual and silenced the critics at the same time.

Tex
The refs beat Ohio St.

The refs beat Ohio St.
Say what you want about “the game” but don’t take what ETN did away from him. He was the one who carried Clemson. I don’t care about what the refs did that’s not for me to argue. I’m only focusing on how these guys played through injuries and played their hearts out. Ohio St. had no one to match ETN coming out of the backfield to catch the ball and no one caught him from behind which says A LOT considering the talent that’s on that team.

Tex

Say what you want about “the game” but don’t take what ETN did away from him. He was the one who carried Clemson. I don’t care about what the refs did that’s not for me to argue. I’m only focusing on how these guys played through injuries and played their hearts out. Ohio St. had no one to match ETN coming out of the backfield to catch the ball and no one caught him from behind which says A LOT considering the talent that’s on that team.

Tex
As an ETN owner I was happy to see what he did catching the ball.  He didn't look that good running it, but OSU is stout.  Etienne could use a few more pounds IMO.

As an ETN owner I was happy to see what he did catching the ball.  He didn't look that good running it, but OSU is stout.  Etienne could use a few more pounds IMO.
I WILL be a proud owner of both IF they declared. With Lawrence not available until 2021 I’m more afraid that ETN will return for one more year if they don’t beat LSU. Which I’m not sure they will.

Tex

I WILL be a proud owner of both IF they declared. With Lawrence not available until 2021 I’m more afraid that ETN will return for one more year if they don’t beat LSU. Which I’m not sure they will.

Tex
I don't think anyone can beat LSU right now, maybe not even the Bengals........jk.

Tex
I'm already the owner of both in one devy league.

...because you make it sound like he was easily caught from behind and if you watch the run that isn't the case at all.  You didn't talk about the run where he scored. 
What adjective did I use that implied "easily"?  I'm just stating physical observations and facts.

Here are some more facts - a staggering SIX times his longest carry of the game didn't result in a TD:

54 yarder against Indiana tackled at the 24.
68 yarder against Northwestern tackled at the 5.
26 yarder against Nebraska tackled at the 41
34 yarder against Wisconsin tackled at the 9.
34 yarder against Michigan tackled at the 41 AND 41 yarder against Michigan tackled at the 34
24 yarder against Wisconsin in B1G championship game tackled at the 8

Just a cursory glance at the other two years produced:
2017 - FOUR different longest runs of game, all of which were 35 yards, that didn't score a TD.
2017 B1G championship game - 77 yards, tackled at 1 yard line and 56 yards, tackled at 12 yard line.

The refs beat Ohio St.
As a raging OSU homer I went back and forth on this.  Yeah that was a blown call, but there was also some brilliant coaching by Clemson - great play designs getting the ball in ETN's hands where OSU was weakest (space with the LB"s) and their playmakers just made more plays than ours did.  Kudos to them  I don't even really feel like we were outplayed, hell we dominated a lot of aspects, we were just out big-played.

What adjective did I use that implied "easily"?  I'm just stating physical observations and facts.

Here are some more facts - a staggering SIX times his longest carry of the game didn't result in a TD:

54 yarder against Indiana tackled at the 24.
68 yarder against Northwestern tackled at the 5.
26 yarder against Nebraska tackled at the 41
34 yarder against Wisconsin tackled at the 9.
34 yarder against Michigan tackled at the 41 AND 41 yarder against Michigan tackled at the 34
24 yarder against Wisconsin in B1G championship game tackled at the 8

Just a cursory glance at the other two years produced:
2017 - FOUR different longest runs of game, all of which were 35 yards, that didn't score a TD.
2017 B1G championship game - 77 yards, tackled at 1 yard line and 56 yards, tackled at 12 yard line.
And that proves what exactly?

Ohio State RB J.K. Dobbins has declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

It seems like it's going to be impossible for RB-needy teams to leave this year's draft without a strong RB prospect. Dobbins (5'10/217) joins a stacked RB class with the chance to be one of the first off the board. Though he had a down year in 2018, Dobbins bounced back with an unreal 2019 campaign, breaking Eddie George's school record for rushing yards in a season with 2,003 yards. Dobbins' smart, tough downhill running style will be appealing to teams looking to build their offense through a stable ground game.

SOURCE: J.K. Dobbins on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 6:13 PM ET

Ohio State RB J.K. Dobbins has declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

It seems like it's going to be impossible for RB-needy teams to leave this year's draft without a strong RB prospect. Dobbins (5'10/217) joins a stacked RB class with the chance to be one of the first off the board. Though he had a down year in 2018, Dobbins bounced back with an unreal 2019 campaign, breaking Eddie George's school record for rushing yards in a season with 2,003 yards. Dobbins' smart, tough downhill running style will be appealing to teams looking to build their offense through a stable ground game.

SOURCE: J.K. Dobbins on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 6:13 PM ET
This is awesome news!

Tex

Where did I say they would pick a running back early?

Tex
You said those teams would be great spots. I don’t see how any of them would be likely to pick him. Were you just saying he would do well on those teams hypothetically?

You said those teams would be great spots. I don’t see how any of them would be likely to pick him. Were you just saying he would do well on those teams hypothetically?
Both actually, I’m not sure he’d go until the 2nd round however he played out of his mind and may have played his way into the 1st round. Again he looked like Zeke who dominated in the playoffs as well just different results. I do disagree if you believe any of those teams don’t need a running back because they actually do.

I would even add Seattle into that mix. They need a running back too.

Tex

Both actually, I’m not sure he’d go until the 2nd round however he played out of his mind and may have played his way into the 1st round. Again he looked like Zeke who dominated in the playoffs as well just different results. I do disagree if you believe any of those teams don’t need a running back because they actually do.

I would even add Seattle into that mix. They need a running back too.

Tex
I can see Tampa, but they have a lot of holes to fill. Pittsburgh seems unlikely to use a 1 or 2 to replace Conner. Indy same with Mack. Atlanta same with Freeman. Seattle same with Carson/Penny. What am I missing?

Unless I am unaware of some free agents, I would think the only teams that would need to look at RB in round 1/2 would be Houston, Miami, Kansas City. Now other teams might decide to try to upgrade with one of the big 4 rookies, but most teams have or think they have a primary RB already. 

Unless I am unaware of some free agents, I would think the only teams that would need to look at RB in round 1/2 would be Houston, Miami, Kansas City. Now other teams might decide to try to upgrade with one of the big 4 rookies, but most teams have or think they have a primary RB already. 
Washington needs a starting RB.  Next year will be Guice's 3rd season and he still hasn't done squat due to injuries.   Not sold on Kerryon Johnson in Detroit,   Atlanta could use another RB, same for Tampa Bay, but neither would take a RB in the first round.   I believe San Francisco would jump at the chance to draft one of the top RBs in this class.  Not sure about Seattle, but they can't feel warm and fuzzy about their  RBs at the moment.  Arizona may be ready to move on from David Johnson considering he lost his starting job, so they might be in the market for a RB in the middle rounds.  The Jets haven't committed to L Bell for 2020, so they could be in the market as well.  The Colts could use another RB but wouldn't select one until the middle to late rounds.

I can see Tampa, but they have a lot of holes to fill. Pittsburgh seems unlikely to use a 1 or 2 to replace Conner. Indy same with Mack. Atlanta same with Freeman. Seattle same with Carson/Penny. What am I missing?
You keep assuming teams must use a 1st or 2nd round pick. You do realize how deep this class is right?

You’re missing that both Carson and Penny have injuries that will keep them out of the beginning of the season next year. Penny tore hid ACL and his contract ends in 2021. Carson had a major injury has had multiple injuries and his contract ends in 2020.

Connor can’t stay healthy. Pitt actually tried to trade to get Bell back on the team lol and you think they won’t draft or sign someone? He’s in the final year of his contract so do you think Pitt will sign him long term considering he can’t stay healthy?

Atlanta has a clause that will allow them to free themselves from Freeman this offseason so yeah my friend you are missing something lol.

Tex

I realize the class is deep. I consider a 1/2 a premium pick. 3rd rd and later I don’t and could see those picks getting used for rb timeshares, etc.Thanks for the explanations on situations. That helps me understand much better your thinking. 

Washington needs a starting RB.  Next year will be Guice's 3rd season and he still hasn't done squat due to injuries.   Not sold on Kerryon Johnson in Detroit,   Atlanta could use another RB, same for Tampa Bay, but neither would take a RB in the first round.   I believe San Francisco would jump at the chance to draft one of the top RBs in this class.  Not sure about Seattle, but they can't feel warm and fuzzy about their  RBs at the moment.  Arizona may be ready to move on from David Johnson considering he lost his starting job, so they might be in the market for a RB in the middle rounds.  The Jets haven't committed to L Bell for 2020, so they could be in the market as well.  The Colts could use another RB but wouldn't select one until the middle to late rounds.
There’s probably 8-10 teams in need of a healthy running back. Some are built to win and some in rebuilding mode. This year will be the year to draft a running back. After tomorrow will here from Swift, Harris and Taylor about their intentions for the draft.

Tex

Jim Nagy‏Verified account @JimNagy_SB

J.K. Dobbins will be for some team what Josh Jacobs was for the Raiders this year. Teams drafting in the late 1st shouldn’t over-think it.

6:16 PM - 28 Dec 2019

-----------------------------------

RespectTheGame‏ @GettinNoRespect

Dobbins is a lot better than Josh Jacobs

Ohio State RB J.K. Dobbins was ranked as the number one running back in the 2020 NFL Draft class by The Athletic's Dane Brugler.

Dobbins (5'10/217) edges out Georgia's D'Andre Swift for top back honors, as the talented RB's were ranked side-by-side in the The Athletic's Top 100 list at numbers 21 & 22 overall. Both are multi-purpose backs with the ability to run between the tackles while also breaking big plays in the passing game. Dobbins rushed for 2,003 yards this season with a 6.7 YPC and 21 touchdowns, while also catching 23 passes for 247 yards and two touchdowns in the air. He is projected as a late-first round-to-early second-round selection in the upcoming 2020 NFL Draft.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jan 7, 2020, 1:52 PM ET

I know eventual location means a lot, but right now how would some of you compare him to the back from Wisconsin?

I didn't think much of him early in the season, but as game after game went by he became more impressive in my eyes every time I watched him (every OSU game).  Very impressed with him now. Would love to get him. But likely won't have much chance to draft him picking 10th and 10th in each of my leagues.  

I know eventual location means a lot, but right now how would some of you compare him to the back from Wisconsin?
The more I watch Taylor the more I don't like him.  The more I watch Dobbins the more I do like him.

I let talent do the talking right now, and Dobbins looks to be the better talent.  

Zyphros said:
The more I watch Taylor the more I don't like him.  The more I watch Dobbins the more I do like him.

I let talent do the talking right now, and Dobbins looks to be the better talent.  
Same.  

Users who are viewing this thread