What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Little bummed by his snaps.
It was odd. I posted in the game thread sometime either deep into the first half or early in the second that I hadn't noticed him on the field yet. 

All I can think of is:

1. Maybe he WAS in earlier and missed a block or something, so Harbaugh sent him to his room for a while.

2. Something happened during the week that Harbaugh didn't like.

3. Harbaugh/Roman were playing games with Houston and wanted him as a fresh hammer at the end of the game. Which is kind of what he ended up being. The game was pretty much over anyway, but that 40 yard run put the nail in.

I've posted here and in other threads that I think he's the Ravens' most talented back. I just don't know how to make sense of it for FF week-to-week.

ouch - i drafted high in a start up dynasty knowing patience was needed but this was tough to stomach after a promising debut...
People should know Dobbins is on the same team as Ingram and that will affect 2020.  It's 2021 you should be looking for Dobbins to shine on a consistent basis.  I look for Ingram to be on another team this time next year.

it's just a matter of time until Dobbins either plays himself into the role, an injury....they aren't going to be able to keep that skill down all season.  The lopsided game scripts haven't helped his cause either.  
Lopsided game scripts are pretty much the perfect time to see what the rook's got.

It's a RBBC mess, don't expect it to change much this year without an injury.

Might just be as simple as trusting the vet.

This is a top contender, they don't NEED Dobbins to take over, and make rookie mistakes on the field. Shoot, if I was Harbaugh, he wouldn't get many snaps where I needed him to pass block. 

I didn't see the game. Was his 40+ yd run a product of the defense being stacked to stop the run (just over two minutes, everyone knows its a run to kill the clock) and no second level of defense in play? 

He didn't know where to line up almost every time he was in there. Jackson had to babysit him pre snap.

I only saw one blitz where he got rocked but they brought the whole house on it. 

As for usage at the end, they were rotating between the 3 backs on every single play. I don't think it had anything to do with bringing JK as a close out hammer. It was just one new RB in on each play. Sucks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't know where to line up almost every time he was in there. Jackson had to babysit him pre snap.

I only saw one blitz where he got rocked but they brought the whole house on it. 

As for usage at the end, they were rotating between the 3 backs on every single play. I don't think it had anything to do with bringing JK as a close out hammer. It was just one new RB in on each play. Sucks. 
I agree.  They brought the house and he didn't have a chance so don't want to overplay that.

Roster/personnel changes NFL teams should make right now

Excerpt:

Baltimore Ravens: Promote J.K. Dobbins to RB1

Dobbins was my top-rated running back in this year's draft class. I like his instinctive, quick-cut ability and speed. In his limited body of pro work so far, the rookie has proven to be the most explosive running back in the Ravens' loaded backfield. Right now, he sits third on the current depth chart behind Mark Ingram and Gus Edwards, with Dobbins logging nine attempts to Ingram's 19 and Edwards' 14. But Dobbins' fresh legs and excellent acceleration both through the hole and getting outside should warrant more carries, if not a promotion to RB1. I like what I've seen so far -- and so do the Ravens -- as Dobbins has turned minimal touches into big gains. Though he's totaled just those nine totes in two games, Dobbins has racked up 70 yards for a whopping 7.8 yards per carry and two touchdowns. He hasn't been all that involved in the pass game yet (one catch on one target for 13 yards), but he has the ability to be effective as a runner after the catch. Once he's given the chance, he will show he is the most dangerous running back the Ravens have. It's time to unleash the youngster as a key player in Greg Roman's system.

It was only a matter of time...kid is a perfect fit and will be a star in Baltimore.  I drafted him in my keeper league which has a number of Maryland folks in it...I dealt him after the draft for CeeDee Lamb and Kelce so I got great value but always like having that stud RB in the stable.  He's gonna be a good one.

It was only a matter of time...kid is a perfect fit and will be a star in Baltimore.  I drafted him in my keeper league which has a number of Maryland folks in it...I dealt him after the draft for CeeDee Lamb and Kelce so I got great value but always like having that stud RB in the stable.  He's gonna be a good one.
"should make"

It was is only a matter of time...kid is a perfect fit and will be a star in Baltimore.  I drafted him in my keeper league which has a number of Maryland folks in it...I dealt him after the draft for CeeDee Lamb and Kelce so I got great value but always like having that stud RB in the stable.  He's gonna be a good one.
Nothing has changed yet, this is an opinion piece by Casserly of what he thinks should happen. That said, crazy how you got Lamb and Kelce for him, even in a homer league!

Nothing has changed yet, this is an opinion piece by Casserly of what he thinks should happen. That said, crazy how you got Lamb and Kelce for him, even in a homer league!
he's a HUGE Ohio State and Ravens fan and I used that to my advantage  😎

He's joining two well-established veterans in the backfield of the team that shattered the NFL's 40-year-old rushing record last year. Did you think they were just going to put him at the top of the depth chart in Week 1? The kid has had two very good games and his workload is only going to grow. I think the Ravens have actually been keeping things pretty vanilla leading up to what, for them, is a huge measuring stick game vs. KC. 

Dobbins was great catching the ball in training camp and I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw to him a lot. They did come out very briefly with Ingram and Dobbins in the backfield together for one series vs Houston and Dobbins was left uncovered for what would have literally been a long walk-in TD reception if Lamar had seen him. Link below if you want to see it - I doubt they'll miss another chance like this

https://twitter.com/i/status/1309136496147005441

J.K. Dobbins rushed one time for six yards in the Ravens' Week 3 loss to the Chiefs.

He caught all four of his targets for 38 yards to lead the Ravens in receiving on a night Lamar Jackson threw for just 97 yards. Dobbins has just three carries over the last two weeks after scoring twice in the opener. He simply can't be used in 12-team leagues as a fantasy starter right now, even ahead of a tasty Week 4 date with Washington.

- Rotoworld

Still a stash and hold in my redraft. I may go down in flames but he will be on my roster. I think at some point Baltimore mixes it up. He’s being trusted on 3rd down and isn’t making mistakes. Ingram looks very mediocre and they are one dimensional with Edwards. If they want to be more unpredictable and explosive I think it’s Dobbins

Judge Smails said:
Still a stash and hold in my redraft. I may go down in flames but he will be on my roster. I think at some point Baltimore mixes it up. He’s being trusted on 3rd down and isn’t making mistakes. Ingram looks very mediocre and they are one dimensional with Edwards. If they want to be more unpredictable and explosive I think it’s Dobbins
Worth a stash, but I think it's going to take 1 if not 2 injuries for him to be worth starting. This offense just doesn't seem to want to feature one RB, they rarely leave the same one in for more than a few plays at a time.

Worth a stash, but I think it's going to take 1 if not 2 injuries for him to be worth starting. This offense just doesn't seem to want to feature one RB, they rarely leave the same one in for more than a few plays at a time.
Or 5 or 6 injuries to my roster. 

FWIW it did seem like Gus Edwards gave the team a spark in what was one of the more effective drives for the Ravens last night. I don't think he is a better player than Ingram or Dobbins but he runs hard.

J.K. Dobbins rushed five times for 16 yards in the Ravens' Week 4 win against Washington, adding one catch for for one yard. 

Dobbins had a meager two targets. No Baltimore running back outside Mark Ingram is fantasy relevant right now. Dobbins is an OK bench stash. Even if Ingram missed time, Dobbins would likely split backfield touches with Gus Edwards. 

Oct 4, 2020, 5:50 PM ET

Dobbins was always a long play.

Go look at Nick Chubb's gamelog from 2018.  16 touches in the first 6 weeks.
I mentioned this to my league mates in chat.  "I'm getting Chubb vibes."

Chubb was breaking off long runs around the same rate Dobbins is right now.

I think it's just a matter of the coaches finally making the switch officially and giving him more run.

I mentioned this to my league mates in chat.  "I'm getting Chubb vibes."

Chubb was breaking off long runs around the same rate Dobbins is right now.

I think it's just a matter of the coaches finally making the switch officially and giving him more run.
Sometimes it's just infuriating that coaches can't see the proverbial forest for the trees. 

Dobbins' explosiveness is just undeniable.   I own Ingram also, and the current three-man rotation makes them unstartable.   Ingram has been a good soldier and team guy in the locker room, but his role in the offense should be diminished.   

Sometimes it's just infuriating that coaches can't see the proverbial forest for the trees. 

Dobbins' explosiveness is just undeniable.   I own Ingram also, and the current three-man rotation makes them unstartable.   Ingram has been a good soldier and team guy in the locker room, but his role in the offense should be diminished.   
Agree that these guys are unstartable. Like I said earlier, with all of the RB injuries I was able to package Ingram to a RB needy team just to get him off my team and clear a roster space.

If Dobbins' blocking doesn't improve, he's gonna struggle to get consistent snaps. Whether any of us think that bad blocking should keep Baltimore's most talented RB on the bench or not doesn't matter - Harbaugh believes it should. Dobbins had several whiffs in the Houston game, which had me fearing for Jackson's well-being (& where I think Lamar hurt his knee, which I think the Ravens have been underplaying). Mark Ingram is a marvelous blocker and Gus Edwards is good, too.

Dobbins' 34 yard run last week was a thing of beauty and I certainly want him playing more but, if he can't block, his time is going to be spotty.

No buzz about this guy with Ingram not practicing all week? I know it's a tough matchup, he can't block, and he's still got Edwards to contend with....

Still, I'm kind of tempted to start him with my RB2 being the Carson/Hyde situation, and my other options less than inspiring. Maybe one of those spots where a little more opportunity lets him show off his talent?

No buzz about this guy with Ingram not practicing all week? I know it's a tough matchup, he can't block, and he's still got Edwards to contend with....

Still, I'm kind of tempted to start him with my RB2 being the Carson/Hyde situation, and my other options less than inspiring. Maybe one of those spots where a little more opportunity lets him show off his talent?
I might throw him in one of my flext spots over Lat Murray for the fun of it. Would love to be a part of one of those stats where he goes off and they say he was only started in about 14 percent of leagues.

Even though they are facing the stout Steeler D, Edwards should see the bulk of the carries with Dobbins in on obvious passing downs. Edwards should get a plunge and 50 total yards.  

I've been waiting for Dobbins to be dropped in a keep-3 redraft auction league and I think this is the time. I know that runs contrary to the prevailing opinion, but I'm betting that two things will happen in the next two weeks:

1) Edwards continues to get more opportunity than Dobbins

2) Pittsburgh and Indy are two tough units. Neither Edwards nor Dobbins will do enough to separate themselves from the pack and Ingram will return, rendering everyone valueless again.

This may be a bit of a hot take, but I'll stand by it.

I've been waiting for Dobbins to be dropped in a keep-3 redraft auction league and I think this is the time. I know that runs contrary to the prevailing opinion, but I'm betting that two things will happen in the next two weeks:

1) Edwards continues to get more opportunity than Dobbins

2) Pittsburgh and Indy are two tough units. Neither Edwards nor Dobbins will do enough to separate themselves from the pack and Ingram will return, rendering everyone valueless again.

This may be a bit of a hot take, but I'll stand by it.
Thats not a hot take.

Thats more of a trampling on the hopes and dreams of Dobbins owners everywhere kind of take.

The talk about Alex Collins going to the Seahawks has reminded me of how difficult Harbaugh RBBC can be.

He11 with it. Rolling him out there. Held him all season, got Carson and a messed up Seattle situation and crappy David Montgomery (who could quickly lose bell-cow status if Lamar Miller is active and gives the offense a boost) as my options. Playing a guy who is a huge Ohio State fan to boot. 

Saw a tweet by 105.7 The Fan that he was the first Raven out on the field today. I'm hoping he's hungry for his shot today. Maybe it's dumb. Hope it works out

I was huge on Dobbins preseason and he’s shown flashes but is strictly a third down back right now. Struggles between the tackles. Gus had a 100+ vs Pittsburgh in Week 17 last year and should be the workhorse today 

J.K. Dobbins rushed 15 times for 113 yards in the Ravens' Week 8 loss to the Steelers, adding one catch for eight yards. 

Both Dobbins and Gus Edwards were effective on the ground against Pittsburgh, as Edwards saw one more carry than his rookie backfield mate. Dobbins displayed excellent patience and vision throughout the game, avoiding a few massive hits from oncoming Steelers defenders and picking up extra yards after failed arm tackles. Dobbins by no means seized the lead back role -- Edwards got the start and will continue to split touches out of the backfield for as long as Mark Ingram (ankle) is out. Dobbins and Edwards will both be RB3 options next week against the Colts. 

- Rotoworld

Dobbins is the better talent right now, no doubt, but talent has to meet opportunity to find success. Volume is king. If Ingram comes back healthy soon, there's too much risk of Ravens returning to a full blown RBBC. But with Bell, there's a path to the starting job and to valuable goal line opportunities in one of the best offenses in the league.

It's more about the situation than the player. 

Dude has juice and wiggle that Ingram/Edwards don't. I could see this evolving into a bigger split for Dobbins as the season wears on.

Users who are viewing this thread