What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

He has averaged 130 rushing attempts the last 3 seasons. That is 8 per game so with the extra game 138.

Unless you think his workload will increase because of the new contract and departure of Ingram?

I was thinking his workload would stay the same but that Dobbins opportunity would increase as no Ingram and maybe some Justice Hill or something sprinkled in as well but most of Ingrams work going to Dobbins.
I agree I think his workload will be about the same.  

Ingram leaves 72 vacated carries.  Let's just add them all to Dobbins.  That puts him at 206.  I don't love the volume.  But I think he can have numbers similar to what Aaron Jones did last year.  Granted, Jones only played 14 games.  I had seen him going the 2nd in some mocks.  Looking at ADP data it seems he's going at the start of the 3rd.  

I'm pro-Dobbins.  I just worry what the price is going to be.

I agree I think his workload will be about the same.  

Ingram leaves 72 vacated carries.  Let's just add them all to Dobbins.  That puts him at 206.  I don't love the volume.  But I think he can have numbers similar to what Aaron Jones did last year.  Granted, Jones only played 14 games.  I had seen him going the 2nd in some mocks.  Looking at ADP data it seems he's going at the start of the 3rd.  

I'm pro-Dobbins.  I just worry what the price is going to be.
Yeah I hear you I would like to add Dobbins on teams that dont already have him.

I was reading the Gus Edwards thread and @Uruk-Hai was saying 160 rushing attempts for Edwards and I respect his opinion. He knows all things Ravens better than I do, so I may revise my prognostication to that now.

He has averaged 130 rushing attempts the last 3 seasons. That is 8 per game so with the extra game 138.

Unless you think his workload will increase because of the new contract and departure of Ingram?

I was thinking his workload would stay the same but that Dobbins opportunity would increase as no Ingram and maybe some Justice Hill or something sprinkled in as well but most of Ingrams work going to Dobbins.
IMHO, most of Ingram's work will go to Dobbins, and some of Edwards' work will go to Hill. With Ingram out of the mix, I don't see how we don't see some Hill this year...he just won't occupy anywhere near the amount of touches as Ingram or Edwards would in a healthy Dobbins/Ingram/Edwards RBBC...but he'll get a share, on both running and passing downs. I own all 3 here and there, and I like them all as Players, a lot. Great RB room.

Yeah I hear you I would like to add Dobbins on teams that dont already have him.

I was reading the Gus Edwards thread and @Uruk-Hai was saying 160 rushing attempts for Edwards and I respect his opinion. He knows all things Ravens better than I do, so I may revise my prognostication to that now.
:lol:  My memory is failing me in my old age. I'd have to go back and see how I got to 160 attempts for Edwards, but that feels about right. I may have been estimating on the high side when I wrote that, but with Gus just re-upping for two years, I'd guess Baltimore wouldn't hesitate to add a carry or two a game to his workload. He produces. 

Dobbins is the most talented RB on their roster. He'll get the bulk of the RB carries. He has to block better (I think he will) and no one really knows if he can be a receiving weapon (I think that'll improve, also). Maybe 200 carries and 35 receptions?

I think Jackson runs less this year, but I honestly don't know how Hill will take more than a few carries per game. Maybe a couple of catches, too, if Dobbins has butter-fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Edwards and the coaching staff put a cap on his upside.  I think he'll see ~225 rushes, and he'll be super efficient.  But if we're talking re-draft and he's going in the 2nd round--I'm suddenly iffy.  
It's hard to get excited about. Last year, and the entire RB group combined to give you about 22.5 PPR fantasy points. was a little higher the previous year but still taking a two year total it's averaged out to about 23 a game. Three RB's beat that by themselves last year.

Just not enough points to go around. He can/should be solid,  but at best so long as Gus is healthy a very low end RB1(If he took 70% of that two year average he'd have been RB12 last year).  If you don't want to make a mistake he's an ok option in late round 2, I don't think he'll hurt you, but he's not exactly profiling like a league winner.

Yeah I'm on again off again with him. I still think 2019 Ingram is his floor and that Dobbins >>> Ingram. And I like Ingram a lot. 

But still, the GL work for Lamar and Gus scares me a lot. And the Ravens in game rotations are really stupid. I'm hoping they really learned some lessons from last year. 

My expectations for JK haven't changed. He's the lead guy. There's just an extra game now and it's in every team's best interest to manage their best player's workload during the season so they can unleash them come playoff time assuming he meets expectations and they're all healthy. 

He isn't a top tier option, but I don't see much difference between him and anyone else in tier 2. Market rate may change though. 

It's funny that Dobbins is being viewed through the lens of whether he's a top-5 or top-10 or top-12 back. I was pretty high on him as a rookie and took him in a few leagues as the rookie RB3 after Taylor and CEH (1 QB leagues). I think it seems people are down on him because of how strong the 2020 class is -- it's likely that those who took Dobbins probably passed on Swift and Akers, and, if we're looking at present value, later picks Jefferson and Lamb (and Herbert in superflex) now have passed Dobbins in value. I think it's clear that, at least after a year, the 2020 first-round class is devoid of a lot of true busts, which is an anomaly. While I would of course prefer that I had Akers or Swift instead of Dobbins right now, Dobbins is still currently a second- or third-round startup pick (depending on format), which I think is a very good return on a rookie pick, even if it was a high first-rounder. In 1 QB leagues, Dobbins is more valuable than every 2019 first-rounder, save for Metcalf and AJ Brown (although Josh Jacobs and Miles Sanders did retain value after their first year). I would love if Dobbins turned into a top-12 RB, but I'm even happier that (so far) he's not a Darrell Henderson, Derrius Guice, Rashaad Penny or Sony Michel. 

It's funny that Dobbins is being viewed through the lens of whether he's a top-5 or top-10 or top-12 back. I was pretty high on him as a rookie and took him in a few leagues as the rookie RB3 after Taylor and CEH (1 QB leagues). I think it seems people are down on him because of how strong the 2020 class is -- it's likely that those who took Dobbins probably passed on Swift and Akers, and, if we're looking at present value, later picks Jefferson and Lamb (and Herbert in superflex) now have passed Dobbins in value. I think it's clear that, at least after a year, the 2020 first-round class is devoid of a lot of true busts, which is an anomaly. While I would of course prefer that I had Akers or Swift instead of Dobbins right now, Dobbins is still currently a second- or third-round startup pick (depending on format), which I think is a very good return on a rookie pick, even if it was a high first-rounder. In 1 QB leagues, Dobbins is more valuable than every 2019 first-rounder, save for Metcalf and AJ Brown (although Josh Jacobs and Miles Sanders did retain value after their first year). I would love if Dobbins turned into a top-12 RB, but I'm even happier that (so far) he's not a Darrell Henderson, Derrius Guice, Rashaad Penny or Sony Michel. 
The way I try to tier rookies for rankings is that a player I have in tier one is a player I think can become a top 12 player at their position for fantasy within their first 3 seasons in the league.

Dobbins is definitely a tier one talent as far as that goes and how these players are valued right now is too much based on 2020 performance than the way that I look at things, which is always in a 3 year moving window. The basis of most of my projections is 3 years as well.

I think Dobbins will have his time in the limelight. Either this season or in 2022.

The way I try to tier rookies for rankings is that a player I have in tier one is a player I think can become a top 12 player at their position for fantasy within their first 3 seasons in the league.

Dobbins is definitely a tier one talent as far as that goes and how these players are valued right now is too much based on 2020 performance than the way that I look at things, which is always in a 3 year moving window. The basis of most of my projections is 3 years as well.

I think Dobbins will have his time in the limelight. Either this season or in 2022.
This 100% for me. I drafted him 3rd overall in our rookie draft after CEH and Taylor, and I traded up to do it. I didn't draft him for 2020 (alhough I thought I might get some use out of him later in the year.) I believe a top 12 season is within reach this year. If not, it won't be by much. 

Doesn’t Lamar’s lack of desire to dump the ball off limit his ceiling? When the first and sometimes second read isn’t there, Lamar just takes off. Granted, I’m not a Ravens expert but this would keep me from placing him anywhere other than a mid RB2. 

Doesn’t Lamar’s lack of desire to dump the ball off limit his ceiling? When the first and sometimes second read isn’t there, Lamar just takes off. Granted, I’m not a Ravens expert but this would keep me from placing him anywhere other than a mid RB2. 
100%

Last year part of it was play calling (RBs weren't out in many routes), part of it was that the interior OL was awful (no time and the RBs having to stay in to block), and part of it was Jackson getting skittish (or wanting to play hero ball) because of the other two parts. 

Throwing to the RBs is supposed to be a point-of-emphasis at this year's OTAs and TC. We'll see how much is lip service, but reports are that Dobbins has been more involved in receiving routes.

It limits his receiving upside for sure, just like any other running QB. He won't get those quick dump offs most times like he would if he played with a guy like Brees. They'll have to be designed pass plays to Dobbins for him to get a good amount of receptions, IMO.

All very good pts on both sides regarding Dobbins outlook. I watched his usage very closely last year and can understand the frustration. My take, Dobbins is a very real talent. His ranking this year is dependent on how creative the Ravens can get with his touches, as well Lamar NEEDS to learn how to check down. I saw countless times Dobbins open in the flat for what would be good gains and LJ doesn’t even look at him. I think Harbaugh knows this is what this offence needs to take the next step up. All this negativity about how Lamar is so bad for Dobbins outlook though needs to be re-examined. We cannot overlook how much attention Lamar demands on those RPO’s and the space Dobbins has in front of him to run because of this.

Potential outcomes IMO

1. We continue to see more of the same this year as last and Dobbins on efficiency alone finishes a mid to strong RB2.  Possible 

2. Baltimore based on their draft starts to become more Buffalo, wants to pass and the running game is somewhat phased out and Dobbins becomes a frustrating RB3. Not likely

3. The Ravens travel to Vegas and play the Raiders on Monday night of opening weekend and show us a new version of themselves. We see Lamar doing most of his usual stuff but added are some screens and check downs and high percentage passes designed to utilize the strengths of some of these other players. In turn Dobbins puts up 117 yards on the ground and another 38 through the air along with 2 total TDs. 4 weeks later we are all asking ourselves how the hell we doubted picking him in the 3rd round along the likes of Jacobs, Montgomery, and Gaskin while he’s putting up strong RB1 numbers. Quite possible and IMO very likely

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec said Ravens coaches believe J.K. Dobbins is "capable of more and would like to get him more involved in the passing game."

Baltimore head coach John Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman have said they want their running backs to see more targets in 2021, which would require a radical change in an offense that had the second fewest running back receptions in 2020. Following sporadic usage in the first half of his rookie year, Dobbins saw much more playing time in the season's final month and a half. Zrebiec said the Ravens offense "hit another level offensively last season after Dobbins was thrust into a prominent role." Dobbins' redraft ADP will be suppressed by the looming threat of Gus Edwards, who has drawn praise from Roman as a 1B sort of committee back. 

RELATED: 

Gus Edwards

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 6, 2021, 8:05 AM ET

Ravens: J.K. Dobbins is having a ‘quiet training camp’ (FanSided article with autoplay video)

Few players on the Baltimore Ravens‘ roster received as much offseason hype as running back. J.K. Dobbins. The second-year pro was the talk of the offseason with many expecting him to take the NFL by storm in 2021.

And while that still very well might happen, the hype surrounding Dobbins has slowed down a little this summer. That’s because Dobbins has run into his fair share of struggles in training camp.

Dobbins had three carries for zero yards in the team’s preseason opener against the New Orleans Saints. He’s failed to find the open space necessary to show off his big-play ability in practice.

He even tossed his helmet in frustration after losing a fumble on Wednesday. Dobbins’ struggles aren’t necessarily concerning, but they are noteworthy.

The Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec detailed some of Dobbins’ recent struggles.

“Ravens running back J.K. Dobbins sure has had a quiet training camp after garnering so much hype earlier in the summer. In recent practices, he’s looked frustrated at times by his failure to create more big plays and find more space. That bubbled over Wednesday when he tossed his helmet after losing a fumble. Four days earlier, Dobbins had three carries for no yards against New Orleans.”

J.K. Dobbins’ struggles at Ravens training camp aren’t a cause for concern

While it would be nice to see Dobbins hit the ground running in training camp and make good on his offseason hype, it shouldn’t be overly concerning that he hasn’t found the success many hoped he would.

After all, there are some pretty simple explanations for it.

First and foremost, the Ravens have been shuffling their offensive line all summer due to various injuries. The result has been a lackluster unit that hasn’t created many holes in the running game.

It’s hard to make plays in open space when there’s no open space to be found.

On top of that, offensive coordinator Greg Roman typically runs a rather vanilla offense during training camp. The multiple, diverse offense that the Ravens run during the regular season is nowhere to be found in the summer.

Dobbins’ struggles are likely a direct result of each of those things. Fortunately, neither should be an issue come the regular season.

Barring any setbacks or new injuries, the Ravens should have their five starting offensive linemen healthy for Week 1. And once the regular season arrives, Roman will return to his typical complex, diversified offensive attack.

He looked good last night. Dominated early carries. Pretty mediocre offense & looked like stacked boxes but he was breaking tackles & looked shifty.

if he can get ~200 carries + 30+ receptions I think his upside is sizable. 

My question is short yardage TDs, since LJax is a vulture, but TDs are hard to predict regardless. 
Yeah the “first team” offense last night without a couple startling lineman, without the top 4-5 wrs and no Lamar was pretty bland. I didn’t get to watch but I imagine the defense wasn’t too concerned about the passing game. 

JK is a really talented back but Lamar obviously is a great runner and Gus is very good too. 200 carries and 30-35 recs sounds about right. I think he easily sniffs double digit tds with that usage. He saw double digit touches 11 times last year and scored tds in 8 of those games. The offense *should* feature an improved offensive line and improved receiving corps. Although the buzz has been the line has struggled to gel with new faces and injuries and the wrs have been decimated with injuries. Lamar’s presence likely fixes a lot of that though.

He looked good last night. Dominated early carries. Pretty mediocre offense & looked like stacked boxes but he was breaking tackles & looked shifty.

if he can get ~200 carries + 30+ receptions I think his upside is sizable. 

My question is short yardage TDs, since LJax is a vulture, but TDs are hard to predict regardless. 
The bolded is what makes me nervous about Dobbins in PPR.  The Ravens RB targets with Jackson starting at QB

2018 - 25 (7gms) [ T.Montgomery 17 ]

2019 - 49 (15gms) [ Ingram 30 ] 

2020 - 49 (15gms) [ Dobbins 22 ]

It's pretty undeniable that Jackson does not utilize the RB's in the passing game.  I haven't read anything about this becoming a focus in the offense, so based on the expected split, I have a hard time seeing more than 20... maybe 25 receptions tops for Dobbins?  That lack of catches, plus the risk of TD vultures from Jackson and Edwards, just makes me really hesitant to buy in on Dobbins where he is going.  Very talented, fun to watch, but the situation makes insane efficiency almost a requirement for him to really break out.

The bolded is what makes me nervous about Dobbins in PPR.  The Ravens RB targets with Jackson starting at QB

It's pretty undeniable that Jackson does not utilize the RB's in the passing game.  I haven't read anything about this becoming a focus in the offense, so based on the expected split, I have a hard time seeing more than 20... maybe 25 receptions tops for Dobbins?  That lack of catches, plus the risk of TD vultures from Jackson and Edwards, just makes me really hesitant to buy in on Dobbins where he is going.  Very talented, fun to watch, but the situation makes insane efficiency almost a requirement for him to really break out.
It’s true. Screens aren’t a big part of the Ravens game because all eyes are already in the backfield and defenses are close to the LOS because of Lamar. And when it breaks down he’s usually taking off rather than dumping it off. Definitely caps Dobbins upside as a receiver. Good news is he is likely to be crazy efficient on the ground. Every Rb, save Ingram last year at 31 years old and banged up in a part time role, has cleared 5.0 ypc with Lamar. JK was over 6 last year! He’s a lock to clear 5 this year and could be much higher. Should find the end zone a bunch of times as well.

Yeah, I mean 30 is a pretty modest total,  and I agree that may not even Be attainable. 

still, 200 carries should give him RB2 upside. I just don’t think he has the ceiling that a Carson or maybe even Henderson potentially has in PPR. That might take an injury to Gus or a concentrated effort for LJax to run less (the latter of which I doubt will happen) 

It's been a steady drumbeat all offseason that Roman is putting an increased emphasis on Lamar using the RB's in the passing game. I fully expect 68 targets to RB to be a reasonable #. Gus isn't anywhere near the receiver Ingram is, and they seem hell-bent on limiting Justice Hill. That spells a whole lot of catches for my boy JKD. Tack on the Bateman injury. He was drafted specifically to be a catalyst to open the offense. Sammy Watkins doesnt scare anyone, and Marq Brown is a terrible fit with a qb like Lamar. The pass offense is going to run almost entirely through Andrews/Dobbins. 20-25% increase in PAtt to RB, 42 rec is my projected floor for Dobbins, and I'm sticking to it.

I haven't read anything about this becoming a focus in the offense, so based on the expected split, I have a hard time seeing more than 20... maybe 25 receptions tops for Dobbins?  
Really? I have. It has been mentioned a lot. Now I don't know that means a lot. The number of targets can easily go up but I'd be surprised if they went up dramatically, in a way we talk about a couple months from now. I expect a good bump though and I don't think 30 is out of the question. 

Really? I have. It has been mentioned a lot. Now I don't know that means a lot. The number of targets can easily go up but I'd be surprised if they went up dramatically, in a way we talk about a couple months from now. I expect a good bump though and I don't think 30 is out of the question. 
First, I seriously take yours and nittany's comments very seriously. Always do. But...

Even if the coaches have totally mentioned passing to the backs a lot, one questions whether the style of play permits it. Coaches every year have things they want to tinker with, and once the games get going, they scrap the tinkering in favor of expedient results. Jackson's style doesn't lend itself to passing to the backs. 

One wonders if it ever will. 

I know that this time might be different, but I'd probably split the difference when thinking about potential touches. 

First, I seriously take yours and nittany's comments very seriously. Always do. But...

Even if the coaches have totally mentioned passing to the backs a lot, one questions whether the style of play permits it. Coaches every year have things they want to tinker with, and once the games get going, they scrap the tinkering in favor of expedient results. Jackson's style doesn't lend itself to passing to the backs. 

One wonders if it ever will. 
Oh I don't disagree but I think there is room for a modest bump. I don't think 30 is a seismic league winning change. The Ravens do need to mix it up pretty badly, though, and I think they know it and will make a concerted effort to get the backs more targets. But I think having much better WR play has also been part of their plan here but that isn't looking very good right now. Dumpoffs are one area where no, Jackson is going to keep it and run, and we know this. But designed passes can be a whole other area where if the coaches want it to happen it happens. Again I don't really expect much. 

I know that this time might be different, but I'd probably split the difference when thinking about potential touches. 
Yeah, also the problem is that if I am right about the offense and the target bump for backs, it doesn't necessarily mean that all of it goes to Dobbins and not Gus. Even at the high end of a projected bump it may not be worth much.

Oh I don't disagree but I think there is room for a modest bump. I don't think 30 is a seismic league winning change. The Ravens do need to mix it up pretty badly, though, and I think they know it and will make a concerted effort to get the backs more targets. But I think having much better WR play has also been part of their plan here but that isn't looking very good right now. Dumpoffs are one area where no, Jackson is going to keep it and run, and we know this. But designed passes can be a whole other area where if the coaches want it to happen it happens. Again I don't really expect much. 
I agree. Plus if they want to keep LJax vertical for longer in his career, they really need to get him to dump it off more than he has. He can’t just take off running every time - that’s gonna take an unacceptable toll at some point. 

It'll be interested to see I guess.  I dug a little deeper,  Greg Roman's history of targets for RB's while OC

2020 Bal - 51

2019 Bal - 52

2016 Buf - 90

2015 Buf - 84

2014 SF - 64

2013 SF - 72

2012 SF - 53

2011 SF - 58

Granted, he's typically had running QB's, which do not provide you the additional dump off's... but I'm still not seeing an offense that makes an effort to target RB's.  Again, not trying to say Dobbins is a bad pick, especially where he is going right now.  However, due to the fact that he's not likely to see a Derrick Henry style workload, you will need a pretty dramatic shift in either Roman's play calling, or Jackson's willingness to dump off, for Dobbins to see enough catches to break into that top end RB1 range.  I love the player, but I fear his ceiling is capped by what looks to be limited opportunity for receptions.

Using FBG's consensus rankings, he's around Swift, Harris, CEH, Carson, Monty, & Jacobs.  I would bet on every one of those players having more catches than Dobbins, and maybe Swift being the only one with less volume.  If I'm swinging for a homerun in my RB2, looking for a guy who if all goes perfect, I have a RB1, I think I take all 6 of those guys above Dobbins.  If I'm looking for safe and predictable, Dobbins has a better argument.

It's going to be fun to watch.  I've had this debate with a couple guys in my home league, so if I'm wrong, crow will be on the menu for a while.

I don't know about recently, but it was reported early on in camp by beat writers that Dobbins was running wheel routes and even lining up wide to run patterns. I think you may some of this type of opportunity more than having him as a relief valve.

That said, don't believe a damned word anyone from Ravens staff utters. 

I just don't see Jackson throwing to his backs enough, so when you factor that with Gus Edwards, it doesn't bode well for Dobbins.  I have him in several leagues also.

Users who are viewing this thread