What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, Free Agent (5 Viewers)

I appreciate Dobbin's competitive spirit.  He wants to prove the doubters wrong and be there week 1 helping his team.  

Do the Ravens share in his optimism?  

And then for your fantasy purposes--being back week 1 doesn't necessarily mean he's himself.  He may not be the same guy at all this season.  I've got a lot of pessimism at this point.  Maybe he'll erase my concerns as we get closer to the season.

Both Dobbins and Edwards PUP designation on CBS.
Take it with a grain of salt this time of year - teams seem to be manipulating things by placing players on PUP - not sure exactly what benefit it is. In Dobbins & Edwards case it might be legit, but I recall seeing Dobbins say he wouldn’t need it. 

Take it with a grain of salt this time of year - teams seem to be manipulating things by placing players on PUP - not sure exactly what benefit it is. In Dobbins & Edwards case it might be legit, but I recall seeing Dobbins say he wouldn’t need it. 
Not sure grain of salt with Dobbins is the words I would use.

J.K. Dobbins (knee, PUP) has been lobbying to practice in the early days of Ravens camp, but the team is so far refusing. 

Coach John Harbaugh has said Dobbins has "made it clear" he believes he is ready to practice. “He tells everybody all the time,” Harbaugh said Wednesday. “That’s up to the doctors.” It would seem there is something of a disconnect between Dobbins and the team about his health, as evidenced by the fact that NFL Network's Ian Rapoport leaked Dobbins was "no sure thing" to be ready for Week 1 before the back himself insisted he would be. It is certainly encouraging that Dobbins is dying to get out there. He is one of the players we are most closely monitoring this summer. 

This was my exact thought process when he sent off that barrage of Tweets.  Every player thinks he's cleared before the doctors.  

We'll have a better idea of where he is in the coming weeks,  but if I'm drafting today I'm not a buyer.

Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said J.K. Dobbins (knee) is "kind of back on track."​

Dobbins, who was recently activated from the PUP, was held out of Baltimore practices over the weekend after participating in two practices last week. “He looked good,” Harbaugh said, adding Dobbins -- coming off an ACL tear in 2021 -- is in an "evaluation" period. “He’s kind of back on track, and I thought he looked a little better than he did before. So, he continues to improve, and we’ll see where it goes.” The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec said the team is "hopeful" Dobbins can suit up for Week 1 against the Jets, though there are "no guarantees" he'll be ready to return from his major knee injury. The Ravens' penchant for favoring veteran backs (see Latavius Murray and Devonta Freeman in 2021) could mean Mike Davis serves as the team's primary back to start the season. Gus Edwards (ACL) isn't expected to be ready for the season opener.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 16, 2022, 9:32 AM ET

Man, it’s taken significantly longer than normal for this dude to recover. I don’t know about you folks, but I am extremely hesitant to invest A third round pick on this gamble.

Man, it’s taken significantly longer than normal for this dude to recover. I don’t know about you folks, but I am extremely hesitant to invest A third round pick on this gamble.

Feel any better taking Cam Akers? CEH, Edmonds, D Harris, Jacobs or Miles Sanders?

Dead Zone is full of land mines this year.

Feel any better taking Cam Akers? CEH, Edmonds, D Harris, Jacobs or Miles Sanders?

Dobbins, Akers, and Ezekiel Elliott are the three most interesting in that range. I will probably take a wide receiver instead.

That said, all three probably have “league winning upside “ if they hit. It’s a big gamble, but I could see it paying off if you have the cojones to make the pick.

Dobbins, Akers, and Ezekiel Elliott are the three most interesting in that range. I will probably take a wide receiver instead.

That said, all three probably have “league winning upside “ if they hit. It’s a big gamble, but I could see it paying off if you have the cojones to make the pick.

In that range I favor Hall or Mitchell (who both gone probably) then pivot to WR.

Good year for hero RB, load up on receivers (incl elite TE), and then middle to late drafting a bunch of RBs with specific roles or players with a clear path to RB1 if the starter misses time.

In that range I favor Hall or Mitchell (who both gone probably) then pivot to WR.

Good year for hero RB, load up on receivers (incl elite TE), and then middle to late drafting a bunch of RBs with specific roles or players with a clear path to RB1 if the starter misses time.
That’s exactly how I have been leaning this year. :hifive:

Ravens.com's Ryan Mink writes that J.K. Dobbins has "yet to take part in full-team 11-on-11 drills at Ravens practice."​

There's little doubt that Dobbins will be the most talented back the Ravens employ, at least until Gus Edwards is able to get back on the field. But the coach speak on Dobbins has been very cautious to this point and that is backed up by him not really getting a full shot in camp yet. That doesn't mean Dobbins won't get there before the season starts. But there are still some hurdles for him to clear before we assume he's ready for Week 1.
SOURCE: Ravens.com
Aug 23, 2022, 3:06 PM ET

Ravens.com's Ryan Mink writes that J.K. Dobbins has "yet to take part in full-team 11-on-11 drills at Ravens practice."​

There's little doubt that Dobbins will be the most talented back the Ravens employ, at least until Gus Edwards is able to get back on the field. But the coach speak on Dobbins has been very cautious to this point and that is backed up by him not really getting a full shot in camp yet. That doesn't mean Dobbins won't get there before the season starts. But there are still some hurdles for him to clear before we assume he's ready for Week 1.
SOURCE: Ravens.com
Aug 23, 2022, 3:06 PM ET

That's rather concerning. If a player hasn't participated in full team 11 on 11s at this point, I would say that their ability to start in Week 1 is very much in doubt.

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec writes that "it would be optimistic to bank" on RB JK Dobbins (knee) maintaining a heavy workload early in the season.​

Zrebiec also noted that "if they feel like he still needs a bit more time, they can move him to IR the day after the roster is set." In the event of a Dobbins slow start in coming back from his torn ACL, Mike Davis could have fantasy value. Tyler Badie and Justice Hill are also expected to be on Baltimore's initial 53-man roster per Zrebiec's projection. Dobbins doesn't have a lot in his way on talent in Baltimore's backfield while Gus Edwards is recovering from his torn ACL, but it doesn't sound like Dobbins has convinced the coaching staff that he's fully healthy yet.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 28, 2022, 2:07 PM ET

Baltimore backfield feels like an avoid situation in 2022.

Again.
I was so proud of myself in a start up dynasty league last year when I drafted Dobbins and then, much later in the draft, grabbed Gus Edwards as well, thinking “look at that, you never draft a handcuff”. Then I felt smart as hell when Dobbins went down. Then I felt like I wasted two roster spots when Gus went down shortly thereafter. Ugh.
hoping Dobbins comes on strong after the first few weeks 🤞

immediately desperate.
Desperation is the only way anyone would start Mike Davis. IMO Drake is a more talented back, and LJax is likely to be the leading rusher if Dobbins is out.

Note: I am a notorious Mike Davis hater (and have been since he was a 49er. Also, one of the only people correct about him in 2021)

Tuesday evening before a Sunday morning road game and still no practice reports at all on this guy? Odd. GTD coming?

Tuesday evening before a Sunday morning road game and still no practice reports at all on this guy? Odd. GTD coming?
Saw videos of him doing cuts and other drills. Looked quick and good. That was august 31st, I believe.

Hopefully he’s good to go for week 1. I could use it in one league.’

Takeaways From Ravens Week 1 Depth Chart

Excerpt:

• J.K. Dobbins' status for Week 1 has yet to be determined, but he's listed as the top running back on the depth chart. The order is Dobbins, Mike Davis, Justice Hill and Kenyan Drake. It will be interesting to see how carries are divided among the backs, particularly early in the season, with Dobbins coming back from a serious knee injury. Gus Edwards is on the reserve/physically unable to perform list, meaning he will miss at least the first four games of the season.

September 3

Ravens HC John Harbaugh gives updates on RBs J.K. Dobbins, Gus Edwards

Excerpt:

“Well, Gus [Edwards] won’t be ready; he’s out until Week 4. He won’t be ready before Week 4 because of his [PUP] designation. And J.K. [Dobbins], if J.K. can go out right now, that would be great. I would be excited. He had a good practice today. If not, we have the guys that will play. So, we’re good either way.”
That kind of sound like Dobbins isn’t playing.

That kind of sound like Dobbins isn’t playing.
Kinda sounds like he might.

I’d be worried about workload even if he does though.
I obviously have no idea but “if” and “would” were what lead me to believe it didn’t sound great. The good practice helps though.
I have him in a league - no way I’d start him regardless.

Same. Show me a decent game/good health first, then I'll get you back in there.

Users who are viewing this thread