What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, Free Agent (5 Viewers)

These guys are elite athletes,the best of the best.

But they are also just human, not supermen.
I just hope he can play and have a good career , he was fun to watch before he was injured.

Y'know Gus Edwards looks like a pretty good RB too.

When they're all back, this will probably be one of the biggest timeshares in the league. Not sure any RB on the team will log 50% of the opportunities.

If there was an issue with his recovery at practice he would not be out there doing drills or anything
Like I said, he’s practiced 3 straight days.

That’s a very good sign. He may not be 100%, but IMO he’s on his way.
Anyone actually see what kind of drills he's doing? He could just be a on an exercise bike for all we know.
He was on the field, cutting & doing quick bursts into the tackling sled thinggie.

If there was an issue with his recovery at practice he would not be out there doing drills or anything

Anyone actually see what kind of drills he's doing? He could just be a on an exercise bike for all we know.
He was on the field, cutting & doing quick bursts into the tackling sled thinggie.
Did someone post his knee gave out doing something, or some such stuff as that? If true, that can't be good.

Did someone post his knee gave out doing something, or some such stuff as that? If true, that can't be good.
That’s what someone said they saw.

I watched the same video and all I saw was a slight limp after drills.

And he came out and practiced the next day.

I don’t believe anything “gave out”.

When they're all back, this will probably be one of the biggest timeshares in the league. Not sure any RB on the team will log 50% of the opportunities.
When they're all back, it's dobbins 60% and Edwards 40%, and Davis and Drake sit in the bench (or get cut). Unless you are counting Lamar rushes . . .

When they're all back, it's dobbins 60% and Edwards 40%, and Davis and Drake sit in the bench (or get cut). Unless you are counting Lamar rushes . . .
Okay, but is that projection based on anything other than hope?

2020 had virtually the same team. Same HC, same OC, Lamar, JK, Gus & Justice. The only difference was Mark Ingram instead of Drake/Davis.

Gus had 157 opportunities, JK had 158 opportunities, Ingram had 80 opportunities and Justice had 17. That was all the RB opportunities in 2020. And Ingram was only available for 11 games & Justice 12.

Why should we think that JK is going to jump from 158 opportunities to 247?

(Prorated for games played of course).

It depends on how healthy each RB looks - Edwards is a ways off - but I can see Drake holding onto a role is he looks good early.
That would likely hurt Edwards more - maybe he’d be limited to mostly short yardage?

2020 had virtually the same team. Same HC, same OC, Lamar, JK, Gus & Justice. The only difference was Mark Ingram instead of Drake/Davis.

Gus had 157 opportunities, JK had 158 opportunities, Ingram had 80 opportunities and Justice had 17. That was all the RB opportunities in 2020. And Ingram was only available for 11 games & Justice 12.

Wasn't that dobbins' rookie season? Yes, I'd expect him to get more opportunities in his third year than his rookie season. I'd assume he did wasn't in very much on passing downs.

And Ingram in 2020 was much better than Davis and Drake put together.

Wasn't that dobbins' rookie season? Yes, I'd expect him to get more opportunities in his third year than his rookie season. I'd assume he did wasn't in very much on passing downs.

And Ingram in 2020 was much better than Davis and Drake put together.
Combined the RBs had 50 targets, Dobbins led the way with 24.

Ingram was a 31 year old, 4.2 y/a RB behind a mauling OL. He was dependable, not much more.

The argument that Dobbins should see a 60% share because he's no longer a rookie is specious, particularly as he's coming off an ACL.

Even if Gus doesn't come back, I don't think we can confidently say Dobbins will get a 60% share, that really isn't how this offense operates under Roman. And we have no reason to think Gus isn't coming back.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but what do the last 8 games look like in 2020? My awful memory seems to recall Dobbins getting a bigger share as the season went on.

There's no doubt in my mind Dobbins would have been closer to 2/3 of the opportunities last year had he not gotten hurt.

Gave out might be a bit extreme. But he limped and it seemed uncomfortable when he put weight on it. I’m just not seeing positive signs here. I hate it because I loved him coming out of Ohio State. Easily had him as the RB2 of that class behind Taylor. However everything about this smells fishy. Hopefully he just needs another week or 2 to get fully comfortable.

Gave out might be a bit extreme. But he limped and it seemed uncomfortable when he put weight on it. I’m just not seeing positive signs here. I hate it because I loved him coming out of Ohio State. Easily had him as the RB2 of that class behind Taylor. However everything about this smells fishy. Hopefully he just needs another week or 2 to get fully comfortable.
I’m pretty happy I was able to get Justin Fields (1QB) and a 2023 1st for Dobbins and Mike Davis earlier this off-season. I do think ultimately that will turn out to be a fair deal for both parties - but I’d be pretty concerned if I was on the other end of that deal now.

Reported he wanted to play but team decided to hold him out. Hopefully that is a good sign we see him soon.

Reported he wanted to play but team decided to hold him out. Hopefully that is a good sign we see him soon.
yeah I have no doubt he’s a gamer and wants back on the field. Smart of the team to take caution though. The comment Lamar made earlier this week was a bit worrisome but maybe Lamar isn’t actually privy to the details.

yeah I have no doubt he’s a gamer and wants back on the field. Smart of the team to take caution though. The comment Lamar made earlier this week was a bit worrisome but maybe Lamar isn’t actually privy to the details.
I think they play it safe with him and he sits out another 2-3 games and then they work him back slowly. I'm OK with that. Get him back healthy for a playoff run (in real life and fantasy).

I think they play it safe with him and he sits out another 2-3 games and then they work him back slowly. I'm OK with that. Get him back healthy for a playoff run (in real life and fantasy).
Jackson already said Dobbins would miss 3-4 weeks.

Is it the same Davis that was HORRIBLE with the Falcons? Or is it the Davis from his time with the Panthers…..Maybe somewhere in between? I think Drake takes 40-45% as early as this week if Dobbins is out.
52.4% to be exact, plus 1 catch on 1 target....not that he did that much with them. If Dobbins comes back this week that will go down to 35-40% IMO, but still ahead of Davis.

It appears he may have been mistaken based on today's report.

We'll see how the rest of the week of practice goes, but it sounds like he's close.

What Jackson said was "hopefully he'll be out in a couple of weeks". He said it last Wednesday, and was not giving an official medical update from the team, just speaking at a press conference. He didn't say Dobbins would miss a couple of weeks, but that he'd be back after that much time.

This week would be 1.5 weeks from him saying that. He might have heard "a couple of weeks" that morning, but more likely he heard it a day or two earlier. So this Sunday's game would actually be the early end of "a couple of weeks", and week 3 or 4 would be the later end.

I'm not saying he'll be playing in week 2, but it's possible.

Wow that was a devastating knee injury not just an ACL…. I can see why he prob won’t be back to a reasonable semblance of himself until middle of the season…. Hope he can stay healthy and make a full recovery….

Dobbins and CEH are the players I looked forward to watching this year. Let us hope he stays healthy and picks up where he left off.

What Jackson said was "hopefully he'll be out in a couple of weeks". He said it last Wednesday, and was not giving an official medical update from the team, just speaking at a press conference. He didn't say Dobbins would miss a couple of weeks, but that he'd be back after that much time.
I think it’s a distinction without difference but whatever.

Sure I realize Jackson isn’t a doctor giving his official diagnosis, but at the time it seemed he was actually giving away more inside info than the team would have wanted - but maybe he was just speaking off the cuff.

We’ll know soon enough if he’s playing or not - I have no opinion on that only stated what was out there.

I think it’s a distinction without difference but whatever.

Sure I realize Jackson isn’t a doctor giving his official diagnosis, but at the time it seemed he was actually giving away more inside info than the team would have wanted - but maybe he was just speaking off the cuff.

We’ll know soon enough if he’s playing or not - I have no opinion on that only stated what was out there.
I agree with you, he let something slip.

I'm just saying that what he let slip wasn't "he'll be out 3-4 games". He said "in a couple weeks", and it's been a week plus since he said it. I believe he meant "in a couple weeks", and I believe that includes "a week and a half from now" or "two and a half weeks from now".

J.K. Dobbins (knee) was a full participant in Thursday's practice.​

The back-to-back full sessions have Dobbins fully on track to make his 2022 debut after he sat out Week 1 and Kenyan Drake was the uninspiring lead back for a listless rushing attack. After months of a seeming disconnect between Dobbins and the coaching staff about his health, he obviously can't be counted on to handle a full workload vs. the Dolphins, but 10-12 carries can be considered a reasonable jumping off point. That gives Dobbins some low-end FLEX appeal if you invested a mid-round pick.
Sep 15, 2022, 4:45 PM ET

J.K. Dobbins (knee) is questionable for Week 2 against the Dolphins.​

Dobbins told reporters "we'll see" when asked if he'd play, but he did get in full practice sessions all week and it's probably a good sign that he was put in front of reporters at all. He'd likely be eased in if he did come back, making him more of a touchdown-or-bust FLEX than someone you'd desperately want in your lineup, with Kenyan Drake getting third-down work.
Sep 16, 2022, 3:59 PM ET

Speaking Monday, Ravens HC John Harbaugh referred to RB J.K. Dobbins (knee) as "week-to-week".​

Harbaugh declined to say whether Dobbins will play Sunday against the Patriots, but a "week-to-week" designation puts Dobbins' status in serious jeopardy. With Dobbins out of the lineup in Week 2, the Ravens split snaps fairly evenly between Justice Hill, Mike Davis, and Kenyan Drake. Baltimore's backfield is shaping up as a stay away until Dobbins is eventually healthy enough to take on a true lead role.
SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter
Sep 19, 2022, 2:48 PM ET

The good news is they need him.

Balt RBs
Week 1 - 15 car 46 yards
Week 2 - 15 car 33 yards

They can't keep running Lamar like they're doing. He's going to get killed. So when Dobbins is ready, I expect him to get all of those carries and hopefully more to help keep Lamar healthy and also run clock.

Redrafters shouldn't have expected much in the first third of the season. Dobbins was always a draft for the playoff push play. Survive and hope he progresses to the point he's a 15-20 touch guy that peaks when owners need it most. If owners are impatient, I'd throw out some lowball offers in dynasty or redraft.

Just going to ride it out. I would think he’s getting close. As long as I can keep winning while he’s getting closer to 100% all is good. A couple of L’s though and I’ll be clamoring for a return

The good news is they need him.

Balt RBs
Week 1 - 15 car 46 yards
Week 2 - 15 car 33 yards

They can't keep running Lamar like they're doing. He's going to get killed. So when Dobbins is ready, I expect him to get all of those carries and hopefully more to help keep Lamar healthy and also run clock.
The run blocking has been terrible. Dobbins is not going to do any better even if healthy. He is not.

J.K. Dobbins (knee) remained "full" for Thursday's practice.​

Back-to-back full practices would normally guarantee a player will suit up, but Dobbins got in an entire slate of full sessions last week and remained sidelined. Coach John Harbaugh has continued to label him week to week. The smoke signals have been slightly more encouraging this week, but we would not take Dobbins' status for granted until pre-game inactives are announced at 11:30 AM ET on Sunday. If Dobbins does go, he will sneak into the top 36 at running back as a FLEX option.
Sep 22, 2022, 4:51 PM ET

J.K. Dobbins (knee) remained "full" for Thursday's practice.​

Back-to-back full practices would normally guarantee a player will suit up, but Dobbins got in an entire slate of full sessions last week and remained sidelined. Coach John Harbaugh has continued to label him week to week. The smoke signals have been slightly more encouraging this week, but we would not take Dobbins' status for granted until pre-game inactives are announced at 11:30 AM ET on Sunday. If Dobbins does go, he will sneak into the top 36 at running back as a FLEX option.
Sep 22, 2022, 4:51 PM ET

Cautiously optimistic for this week. Currently have him plugged in as my RB2 (sigh) in hopes he'll play.

J.K. Dobbins (knee) is questionable for Week 3 against the Patriots.​

Dobbins got in three full practices this week. For most players, that would all but guarantee they are playing on Sunday. Dobbins is recovering from significant knee damage including a torn ACL he suffered in training camp last year. The team has been cautious with his return so far and it's possible he is truly a coin-flip to play this week. If he does suit up, it will likely be on a touch-count, keeping him low in the FLEX rankings for Week 3.
Sep 23, 2022, 4:43 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread