What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, Free Agent (6 Viewers)

If you are a Dobbins owner and Gus is available go get him asap - concerned is an understatement at this point.
Actually Drake is the shark move here,Gus is in the same injury boat as Dobbins
Drake doing well should tell you everything you need to know about the potential of an RB in that offense. Gus Edwards could be a legit RB2 for the rest of season once he's activated.
but.....he`s coming off the same type of injury as Dobbins so why would he do better than Dobbins?

Drake is healthy

Humans aren't robots.

If you are a Dobbins owner and Gus is available go get him asap - concerned is an understatement at this point.
Drake doing well should tell you everything you need to know about the potential of an RB in that offense. Gus Edwards could be a legit RB2 for the rest of season once he's activated.
but.....he`s coming off the same type of injury as Dobbins so why would he do better than Dobbins?

Drake is healthy
Completely fair - but unlike Dobbins it looks like Gus took his time to heal. Dobbins started practicing on it in August which looks way to soon in hindsight. Im thinking the extra time helped Gus - Im also figuring Drake is not as available as Gus is right now.

Plus, I feel like we know what Drake is at this point. He's a JAG.

BAL backfield has the feel of musical chairs. I'll let others take a spin on the weekly lotto reel. I'd look elsewhere if you need RB help. I'm thinking of buying low on Edmonds. Mostert isn't a superstar and known for good health.

Drake is healthy

Humans aren't robots.
No,they're not.
Thats why i dont understand how you think injured players would be better than uninjured players. Dont get me wrong, i own Dobbins and im hoping he makes a full recovery,but thinking Gus would be better at this stage is just wishful thinking. Torn ACL`s take 2 years usually for players to fully recover physically and mentally . IMO if you grab Gus be prepared for him to come along slowly just like Dobbins. Grab him and hope for the best ,but after the way Drake ran i think the Ravens may let Dobbins and Gus heal a bit more .

Drake is healthy

Humans aren't robots.
No,they're not.
Thats why i dont understand how you think injured players would be better than uninjured players. Dont get me wrong, i own Dobbins and im hoping he makes a full recovery,but thinking Gus would be better at this stage is just wishful thinking. Torn ACL`s take 2 years usually for players to fully recover physically and mentally . IMO if you grab Gus be prepared for him to come along slowly just like Dobbins. Grab him and hope for the best ,but after the way Drake ran i think the Ravens may let Dobbins and Gus heal a bit more .

I'm not understanding why you think all players heal the same *shrug*

By the way, this is FANTASY football. It's ALL wishful thinking! Haha

* also, Dobbins was visibly limping etc all during pre-season, and snarky with the press about it. I don't get those vibes with Gus

Unfortunately this was my first time starting Dobbins all year with Henry on a bye. Needless to say it was less than helpful. Hope they rest him up a few weeks to get him 100%. We'll see where the backfield stands then.

Got Dobbins in the 5th. Might be rough early but I think he's itching to prove he's worth a new contract.
A little patience will be needed, but he will pay off nicely after the first month of the season after he gets up to speed.
....or he may not pay off until 2023. It's not uncommon for RBs with his injury not to perform well his first year back.
It’s early but your words of caution seem to have been the wise approach so far.

J.K. Dobbins (knee) is not practicing Friday.​

Dobbins likely won't play in Week 7 against the Browns. Kenyan Drake, who ran for 119 yards on just ten carries last week against the Giants, would seem to be the team's lead back with Dobbins sidelined. Gus Edwards could make his return from a 2021 ACL injury, possibly complicating Drake's prospects as the RB1. Mike Davis could figure in near the goal line and Justice Hill (hamstring) might factor in Baltimore's low-volume rushing offense. Drake is a viable RB2/3 against a Cleveland defense allowing the highest EPA per rush through Week 6.
RELATED:
Oct 21, 2022, 12:30 PM ET

Really, really sucks for the kid. I'm enamoured with Dobbins. IMHO, a 100% Dobbins and a 100% Taylor are very close to equals. Sure hope it goes well, he heals up great, and one day soon we're treated to what a unblemished JKD can bring to the table.

His next six weeks would have been:
Week 7 vs CLE
Week 8 @ TB
Week 9 @ NO
Week 10 Bye
Week 11 vs CAR
Week 12 @ JAX

So best case he misses 3 games and then has the bye. At worst he misses through Week 12, but then who's starting him Week 13? Not me. So now we're talking about a guy that might not get any use until the fantasy playoffs. If you've got an IR spot to stash him, go for it but totally understand if he hits some waiver wires this weekend.

Might be. Doesn’t help my 1 redraft share though.

Or the fact that I have to play against Drake this week - my worst BYE week, too.
:wall:

Full tank mode for the dynasty team where I roster Dobbins….and Javonte Williams….and Trey Lance…and Akers…and Palmer...and Jonathan Taylor (fine if they shut him down a few more weeks so I can rack up more losses).

Full tank mode for the dynasty team where I roster Dobbins….and Javonte Williams….and Trey Lance…and Akers…and Palmer...and Jonathan Taylor (fine if they shut him down a few more weeks so I can rack up more losses).
Taylor cleared to play Sunday

Taylor cleared to play Sunday
Yeah. I know. Was just saying I was fine if they decide that he needs to rest more You know, to help my fantasy team ;)

Wonder if an when JK will be put on IR ? Would be nice to open a roster spot on my bench
I agree. Debating if I should outright cut him or wait until they put him on IR so I can put him on our league IR. Not sure what Baltimore's roster situation is like but if they activate Gus Edwards today they may have to put Dobbins on IR.

Just submitted to drop on redraft. I don't see the upside of waiting until week 13 and having him maybe be ok. Oh well.

Drake is healthy

Humans aren't robots.
No,they're not.

I tried to tell y'all.

Drake is healthy

Humans aren't robots.
No,they're not.

I tried to tell y'all.
Like the man who didnt believe a Chiropractor could help him...i stand corrected

Drake is healthy

Humans aren't robots.
No,they're not.

I tried to tell y'all.
Like the man who didnt believe a Chiropractor could help him...i stand corrected

That's amazing! LOL

In dynasty, offered James Robinson to the Dobbins owner as he is making a strong push this year and could use the depth. He said he wasn't sure.

He also owns J.Allen, so today I offered Dak for Dobbins, and he came back and said what about Dak + JRob for Dobbins?

I was big on Dobbins going into this season, but at this point that's way too much, right? Based on what's going on with Drake, Gus (who I own), and JKDs knee, I think the outlook is in some question.

No thoughts on his outlook the rest of this season and beyond?
A few days ago Harbaugh said his injury was a smashing success, they got the scar tissue out and he expected him to be running around in 3-4 weeks which would seem to put his earliest return around week 12, could end up being a week or two later.

As for how he'll perform and level of touches that's harder to say. He was my #1 player to avoid this year relative to his cost as I did not think his upside merited the cost or risk. But even I've been adding him in a lot of 20 man roster high stakes type events because now he's basically free. My thought is he'll look better then he did earlier this season, lead the team the RB's in carries and have a shot at being in the mid RB2 range.

Expect full rebound in 2023 and a fairly good buy low but I still temper my excitement on the upside of a RB in this offense as they tend to be very TD dependent.

No thoughts on his outlook the rest of this season and beyond?
A few days ago Harbaugh said his injury was a smashing success, they got the scar tissue out and he expected him to be running around in 3-4 weeks which would seem to put his earliest return around week 12, could end up being a week or two later.

As for how he'll perform and level of touches that's harder to say. He was my #1 player to avoid this year relative to his cost as I did not think his upside merited the cost or risk. But even I've been adding him in a lot of 20 man roster high stakes type events because now he's basically free. My thought is he'll look better then he did earlier this season, lead the team the RB's in carries and have a shot at being in the mid RB2 range.

Expect full rebound in 2023 and a fairly good buy low but I still temper my excitement on the upside of a RB in this offense as they tend to be very TD dependent.
I have Dobbins but I don’t expect to get anything out of him this season. His 4-6 week injury has turned into 7-8, and by the sound of it the surgery involved cleaning up a lot more damage than they anticipated. He hasn’t been healthy for 2 full years, and even when he was healthy in 2020 he only averaged 66 ypg for rushing and receiving combined. He plays on a team with 4 RB’s and a running QB who has his eyes set on an MVP Award and a big payday. I hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see any production coming out of this guy this year.

I had mentioned in my previous post that Dobbins was my #1 player to avoid this year relative to cost. Someone posted a thread about which players you most are avoiding this year back in August and my only reply was Dobbins. So I've not and have never been wildly high on him but you some things in your post that I don't agree with.

His 4-6 week injury has turned into 7-8, and by the sound of it the surgery involved cleaning up a lot more damage than they anticipated

He was put on IR about 20 days ago. If he returns in weeks 12-14, as expected, he will hit the 4-6 week benchmark.

The surgery was to clean up scar tissue which does not show on an MRI so in that sense it was more damage then they knew about. According to Harbaugh they got it out. We'll see.

He hasn’t been healthy for 2 full years
1/3/2021 he has 13/160/2TD's. Today is November 12th, 2022. May sound like I'm splitting hairs but your post, to me, implies he's not been healthy for 2 full seasons. This reminds of Calvin Ridley who people continue to post that when he returns he will have missed two full seasons despite the fact he was suiting up as late as week 7 last year.

even when he was healthy in 2020 he only averaged 66 ypg for rushing and receiving combined
True but he was also a rookie who did not hit double digit carries until week 8 that season and then proceeded to get at least that much workload every week except one and averaged 13.66 PPR fantasy points ROS. Which is not outstanding and why he was on my DND draft list this year as that's enough relative to his cost and injury but that's also comparatively speaking more PPG then Tony Pollard is averaging right now and would put him in category of low end RB2 if he can replicate it.

Drake is healthy

Humans aren't robots.
No,they're not.

I tried to tell y'all.
I just had to revisit this post lolol

Kenyan Drake's recent play has likely cemented him as Baltimore's lead back for now. Edwards, returning from a hamstring injury, will see some run behind Drake but mostly profiles as running back insurance for fantasy managers stocking their bench with contingency options.

Drake is healthy

Humans aren't robots.
No,they're not.

I tried to tell y'all.

Kenyan Drake's recent play has likely cemented him as Baltimore's lead back for now. Edwards, returning from a hamstring injury, will see some run behind Drake but mostly profiles as running back insurance for fantasy managers stocking their bench with contingency options.
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Gus will be the main man when/if healthy (at least as a runner. Virtually useless in passing game). He looked really good running the ball in both games. 2nd game was Thursday, so a short week and they limited him a bit and then he got dinged. But averaging 6 yards a carry. Plus, excellent at the goal line.

Drake is healthy

Humans aren't robots.
No,they're not.

I tried to tell y'all.

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Gus will be the main man when/if healthy (at least as a runner. Virtually useless in passing game). He looked really good running the ball in both games. 2nd game was Thursday, so a short week and they limited him a bit and then he got dinged. But averaging 6 yards a carry. Plus, excellent at the goal line.
Nobody will be the main man

Harbaugh offense has always and will always be a full RBBC. Drake/Edwards/ and eventually Dobbins will all get touches.

Drake is healthy

Humans aren't robots.
No,they're not.

I tried to tell y'all.

Nobody will be the main man

Harbaugh offense has always and will always be a full RBBC. Drake/Edwards/ and eventually Dobbins will all get touches.
I would be really surprised if Dobbins makes it back this year regardless of what is being said. Scar tissue in the knee is not good for a RB.

Edwards will get the majority of carries (15-18 per game) if that ends up being the case. He is just a better runner than Drake is. Drake will get virtually all the passing game and around 8 carries a game.

Last edited:
Really thinking Dobbins may not be back even though he's eligible week 12? Any updates out there? I figured he would be back in the mix soon.

Certainly seems like a lost year from Dobbins - he was so good his rookie year...next year will be big as it will likely be a Gus/Dobbins backfield with both in a contract year.

Users who are viewing this thread