What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (1 Viewer)

Plus Robinson looked much better than Thompson so far.  Robinson should not be taken off the field for that situation.  Thompson should be used more to give Robinson a break only not as the hurry up role. 
I think that it will evolve into this IMO.

Robinson has been great, but still a rookie. Thompson likely to be more "seasoned" in NFL pass protection... maybe that's why he's the 2-min RB at the moment (just speculation on my part).

Robinson has great hands and great vision. I fully expect him the develop into a bell cow for JAX.

I think that it will evolve into this IMO.

Robinson has been great, but still a rookie. Thompson likely to be more "seasoned" in NFL pass protection... maybe that's why he's the 2-min RB at the moment (just speculation on my part).

Robinson has great hands and great vision. I fully expect him the develop into a bell cow for JAX.
The 2-minute drill rarely has the RB in to protect.  They are running routes and involved for dump offs.  I understand your point but I think it is more based on his passing game rep getting him the nod.  I just don't think he currently is as good as Robinson.  Hopefully that gets rectified because obviously Robinson is a quality receiving option based on his last couple games.  He definitely passes the eye test. 

By the way I thought Thompson looked like garbage. Thought he looked bored and disinterested. I wasn't expecting to see that so I don't think it's because I'm in love with Robinson. But the contrast between the two was stark. Robinson was hungry. 

I'd say Dr. Octopus makes a great point. Parting with him at this point for anything less than a high one makes no sense because he's demonstrated pretty quickly he's what everybody covets -- a three-down back. Giving a high one for him, from the teams that will be able to give a high one, probably makes no sense either because of the risk involved with his draft capital and locker room situation. I mean, a high one should be as sure a thing as you can get, all things constant.

I don't know that I'd take a 1st for him either...MAYBE a very early 1st if we knew there were top notch rookie RBs coming in that class that should be better than JR.

In the PPR dynasty where I own JR, I have been nothing but low balled on him. Many folks still don't believe in him or they just want to rob me. For example, yesterday I got offered Michel & a 2021 2nd. HARD PASS
That is exactly the type of offers I'm getting. A scrub and a 2nd. 

Have to be honest here and say that there is no way in hell that I would give up a lst for him at this point.  Talk to me 3-4 games from now and I may feel different.   

Btw...i am saying this as someone who already owns Robinson and doesn't believe he is currently worth THAT much.

Have to be honest here and say that there is no way in hell that I would give up a lst for him at this point.  Talk to me 3-4 games from now and I may feel different.   

Btw...i am saying this as someone who already owns Robinson and doesn't believe he is currently worth THAT much.
The only thing he appears to be missing is homerun speed.

I know no one cares, but drafted him in the 5th in my rookie draft but was my last cut When we had to get to 23. The kind of thing that haunts a dynasty team for a while. Sure looks the part so far....

3-4 more games like this and you arent trading him in dynasty

ozigbo back at practice today, will be curious to see how he gets worked in

The only thing he appears to be missing is homerun speed.
Yes, more like an Emmitt... comfortable running between the tackles and no desire to beat anyone to the corner.

Great "quickness" but not the homerun speed as you said.

Yes, more like an Emmitt... comfortable running between the tackles and no desire to beat anyone to the corner.

Great "quickness" but not the homerun speed as you said.
Definitely amazing acceleration and quickness... but the lack of homeruns might suppress him a bit in fantasy. But, it could be just the difference between a top 15 and top 8.

If Chark comes back healthy and Minshew actually goes to him, and if Shenault continues to shine, it is conceivable more room opens up for Robinson at the 2nd level and he might have a better chance at breaking a long one. If teams can respect the passing game the sky is the limit for Robinson. But Minshew looked pretty bad to me last week and I'm not so sure their passing game will pick it up *that* much. But maybe it was just a bad week and they bounce back. 

It would have been silly. All those backfield dances would have been in the 2nd level. If we are playing pretend give me never injured Bo Jackson next with that line
I'd take Bo, and several others before building around Emmitt.

But especially Bo, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see Barry work with what Emmitt had...
I think he'd have better numbers than he did... but, Barry couldn't block or set up screens and catch passes like Smith, all integral parts of that offense being so effective.

* Just a caveat, I'm an Eagles fan, so this brings me no joy! LOL

I think he'd have better numbers than he did... but, Barry couldn't block or set up screens and catch passes like Smith, all integral parts of that offense being so effective.

* Just a caveat, I'm an Eagles fan, so this brings me no joy! LOL
Barry and Emmitt averaged the same number of catches per year, and Barry had a much better ypc. Emmitt was an outstanding blocker, certainly better than Barry, but Barry was by no means bad at at it.

Barry and Emmitt averaged the same number of catches per year, and Barry had a much better ypc. Emmitt was an outstanding blocker, certainly better than Barry, but Barry was by no means bad at at it.
None of what I said is a slight on Barry, trust me. He's probably the most entertaining football player ever. I just like Emmitt as a more complete back, much in the same way I would take Hines Ward over plenty of other WRs with better numbers.

What are my redraft owners doing? Do we believe in JRob enough to keep him? Who are RBs or WRs you would accept in for a trade?

I'm getting offered Miles Sanders...but PHI schedule, offense losing weapons, and Sanders hammy has me worried. 

Then again our boy only has 3 games of production. 

What are my redraft owners doing? Do we believe in JRob enough to keep him? Who are RBs or WRs you would accept in for a trade?

I'm getting offered Miles Sanders...but PHI schedule, offense losing weapons, and Sanders hammy has me worried. 

Then again our boy only has 3 games of production. 
I haven't gotten any offers, and haven't looked to move him. I do have every intention of keeping him in my starting line-up until he proves otherwise.

I would have a hard time turning down Miles Sanders but I would have to think long and hard about a Mixon offer.

No serious offers at this point. I would consider trading him for a WR upgrade but with the number of highly drafted WRs injured right now, no one likely feels they have the depth to deal.

I tossed Ruggs at him, waiting to see
That seems about right.  As a Robinson dynasty owner, that is about what I am seeking, if I am going to trade him away.  There are yet a number of dynasty owners who are unconvinced by Robinson.  Robinson's numbers are slightly ahead of CEH's, so it is almost exclusively draft capital which is holding Robinson's value down (with some general skepticism of the Jags peppered in).  Robinson is an early candidate for ROY on a young, promising offense.  The Jaguars clearly value performance over draft capital, as evidenced by the trust they have put in Gardner Minshew.  If I cannot get a young, talented receiver with similar upside, I will happily hang onto Robinson.  Quality depth at RB is always an advantage, but in a season with so many injuries and concerns about COVID-19, it is an especially valuable luxury.  I am looking for an AJ Brown or Henry Ruggs-type WR talent plus something for Robinson.

Edit to add: Unless I get an offer I cannot refuse, my strategy is to hold onto Robinson.  If there is a team hurting at RB enough to overpay for Robinson, I will move him, otherwise, I will wait.  I am not going to land a DK Metcalf for Robinson.  Yet.  I am willing to ride this out, and if Robinson continues to post 20-point PPR weeks, I will get the value I seek, and I may determine I am better off keeping him long term.

im not getting anyone interested in him in redraft. basically people still arent sold. i mean if i have to wait 5-6 weeks of excellent production before he has trade value that matches his production im just going to keep him

I know no one cares, but drafted him in the 5th in my rookie draft but was my last cut When we had to get to 23. The kind of thing that haunts a dynasty team for a while. Sure looks the part so far....
I did something similar with tyreek Hill a couple years back. :wall:

Chad Parsons concentrates on his volume in subscriber content.

His assessment/examples are as follows:

Robinson for a first
Robinson, Fournette for David Johnson, 1st
Robinson as an ancillary guy to land a dynasty cornerstone

I'm not sure that isn't just a wide array of things thrown together.

Who Is James Robinson? His Former Coaches Detail Rise of the Jaguars Rookie

... his 339 scrimmage yards are the most ever by an undrafted player through three career games and he has joined Kareem Hunt as the only players over the last 10 seasons to gain at least 300 scrimmage yards and score at least three rushing TDs in their first three career games.  

If Robinson was a first-round pick, the Jaguars would be happy with this kind of production. But to get it out of an undrafted rookie who months prior was an unknown to nearly everyone out of the state of Illinois is something rare. 

"I think he’s a guy that—he can do everything, I mean, he can be a three-down back, he can protect, he can catch the ball out of the backfield, obviously he can run the football," head coach Doug Marrone ... 

He can do everything. To get that kind of praise from his head coach three weeks into his NFL career is as astonishing as it is surprising to those who didn't know about his story before the NFL. 

But for those who did know Robinson and the kind of person and player he was, it is far from a surprise...
Go to the link for the rest of the read.

Biggest takeaway for me was he ended up at a D2 school mostly out of loyalty as he committed verbally as a freshman. 

In a salary cap league where top RBs (who aren’t able to be kept) go for 1/3 the cap; Robinson is at the league minimum salary.  Would that change his value much?  Say he’s a RB2 now, does that boost him to RB1 value ina trade, or is that to much adjustment?

James Robinson had 17 carries for 75 yards and caught four passes for 32 yards in Week 4 against the Bengals.

The Jaguars fed Robinson touches early but had to abandon the run while playing from behind in the second half. The volume was still there for Robinson despite a negative gamescript, and he played in some pass situations over Chris Thompson. There weren't any red-zone chances for Robinson this week, as Gardner Minshew threw both his touchdowns inside the 20-yard line. The undrafted Robinson is averaging 4.75 YPC and on pace for 1,784 total yards and 12 touchdowns through the first month of the season. He gets a matchup with the Texans in Week 5.

Oct 4, 2020, 4:40 PM ET

I offered him exactly what he wanted &, instead of simply accepting or rejecting the trade offer on the site, he is letting it sit & instead sent me an offer of Adams for CEH. I rejected that. SMH
I always revoke my trade offer immediately when an owner lets a trade sit and sends me a different trade offer.

Users who are viewing this thread