What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (1 Viewer)

Traded him yesterday.  Total rebuild job, not dynasty but just 4 man keeper.  D Adams was a holdover.  In the draft this year I got Robinson, Dobbins, Lamb, Jefferson, Jeudy.  Obviously I focused on rookies versus vets to do a rebuild.  Also had Diggs as a keeper holdover.  Moved Diggs and Robinson for a first yesterday.  I had to make a call and preferred Dobbins long term.  Adams, Dobbins, Lamb, and Jefferson is the plan for now.  Had to trim that list down or I'd get nothing for whoever I didn't keep on the four man list.
That is really light in a return for those two guys.  I am also not sure I would have moved either of them even though you can only keep 4.  I think the return would be better as this is a bit early on a trade for next year.....especially as the playoffs start getting closer and teams are fighting to get in.  

barackdhouse said:
The biggest question mark are the dump off passes.
First time since week one he did not get at least 4 targets in a game, coming in at 2.  This was my concern as well and not encouraging early one to say the least.

That is really light in a return for those two guys.  I am also not sure I would have moved either of them even though you can only keep 4.  I think the return would be better as this is a bit early on a trade for next year.....especially as the playoffs start getting closer and teams are fighting to get in.  
I agree it is light and I'd have liked more.  I shopped that kind of move to a few teams, took three contending teams to find a home for them.  I'm not stoked about it but I didn't see keeping either over Adams, Lamb, or Dobbins.  I could argue the Jefferson slot.  I also have Lamar Jackson along with Jeudy as backup for that 4th slot if need be.  Trade deadline is less than a week away so it was a now or never thing.  I certainly considered the option of holding onto all options and just choosing 4 in the offseason.

I agree it is light and I'd have liked more.  I shopped that kind of move to a few teams, took three contending teams to find a home for them.  I'm not stoked about it but I didn't see keeping either over Adams, Lamb, or Dobbins.  I could argue the Jefferson slot.  I also have Lamar Jackson along with Jeudy as backup for that 4th slot if need be.  Trade deadline is less than a week away so it was a now or never thing.  I certainly considered the option of holding onto all options and just choosing 4 in the offseason.
Can you trade in the off season?  That sometimes is the best value as teams may give up a stud for 2 solid keepers if they don't have enough to fill out their four.

Can you trade in the off season?  That sometimes is the best value as teams may give up a stud for 2 solid keepers if they don't have enough to fill out their four.
Nope.  Odd rules but essentially if you trade a player off you are trading that slot.  So it has to be 1 for 1 or 2 for 2.  Or you could trade a player for a pick, but then you'd only have 3 players left but one extra pick.  The receiving team would have 5 players but one less pick.  So the rules really made it where if I was going to gain any value from that list the move had to be made by the end of the week.  The only value to hanging on would be to see the remainder of the season to decide on the top four to make sure that's the four best to go forward.

Just traded him for a 2021 1st and 2022 2nd.

I think he's a pretty good back... but he's undrafted and a new regime is gonna come in, I couldn't pass up that offer

Just traded him for a 2021 1st and 2022 2nd.

I think he's a pretty good back... but he's undrafted and a new regime is gonna come in, I couldn't pass up that offer
I've turned down a couple offers for what amounts to a late 1st. The way I see it is if I drafted a guy with a late 1st who did for me what Robinson has done, I'd be ecstatic. Why not keep the guy that's doing it? The Jags need a ton of help, I think even a new regime can skip a new a RB for at least another year. 

I've turned down a couple offers for what amounts to a late 1st. The way I see it is if I drafted a guy with a late 1st who did for me what Robinson has done, I'd be ecstatic. Why not keep the guy that's doing it? The Jags need a ton of help, I think even a new regime can skip a new a RB for at least another year. 
Agreed.  And it's not like he's producing by default like Gaskin is - the guy has legitimate skills.  Believe he's been top 10 in PFF metrics all season but someone could correct me if I'm wrong there.

Yeah he has proven he can play at this level. And play really well. They absolutely have other needs. I'm sure they'll still bring in more talent but this is Robinson's backfield. 

Unless you’re confident you can flip Taylor for a haul, you’d be crazy not to at this point. 
Just so I am clear, I currently have Robinson.  The Taylor owner offered me his Taylor straight across for my Robinson (dynasty).  I would not likely be able to move Taylor for value unless things really turned around for him, which is obviously not out of the realm of possibilities, although, at that point, I would likely be happily holding in that event. 

Just so I am clear, I currently have Robinson.  The Taylor owner offered me his Taylor straight across for my Robinson (dynasty).  I would not likely be able to move Taylor for value unless things really turned around for him, which is obviously not out of the realm of possibilities, although, at that point, I would likely be happily holding in that event. 
As of right now, I’m happy to let Taylor rebound - or not - on another roster. I’ll gamble on the athletic traits if and when I can land him for a late first. But I’m not trading pieces as valuable as Robinson in the meantime. Too many red flags for my stomach.

Dynasty I have been offered Jonathan Taylor straight up for Robinson.  Am I crazy to pass on that?
Funny I've been debating making this exact offer to Taylor owner. He looked really good to start the year and feel this is just a bum stretch. I still believe in the talent. But really interesting to see Taylor owner basically say "Here, you buy low, I'll buy high. I just want off" and not even try to make it look like he values Taylor more by asking for a third or something cosmetic like that.

Funny I've been debating making this exact offer to Taylor owner. He looked really good to start the year and feel this is just a bum stretch. I still believe in the talent. But really interesting to see Taylor owner basically say "Here, you buy low, I'll buy high. I just want off" and not even try to make it look like he values Taylor more by asking for a third or something cosmetic like that.
Agreed.  I still believe in Taylor's talent, but it is not like Robinson is not a talent himself.  Honestly, I don't think the talent gap is that wide, but I still believe Taylor is the superior prospect for the future.  On the season, Robinson has rushed 132 att. for 580 yds. and 5 TDs, and added 27 rec. for 225 yds. and 2 TDs.  Compare that to Taylor:  113 carries for 428 and 4 TDs, plus 22 rec. for 203 (0 TDs).  Obviously, Robinson's numbers are better, in every way but it is not as big a difference as I expected to find (they are definitely trending in opposite directions, however).  So the question for me is do I believe enough in Robinson and the Jags to pass on a guy who I still consider to be a superior prospect?  Trading away Robinson as I approach a playoff run would hurt my team, no doubt, but two seasons from now, I could very well look back at this moment as a significant point for my dynasty team.  I still worry Robinson is not a long-term RB1, and, despite his recent woes, I feel Taylor is a more secure future asset.  I cannot make a trade until after this week's games now, since the other team had Taylor in his starting lineup last night, but considering the poor performance, I don't expect he will pull the offer, barring a Robinson injury.  My gut is telling me to make the trade and gamble on Taylor.  

socrates said:
Agreed.  I still believe in Taylor's talent, but it is not like Robinson is not a talent himself.  Honestly, I don't think the talent gap is that wide, but I still believe Taylor is the superior prospect for the future.  On the season, Robinson has rushed 132 att. for 580 yds. and 5 TDs, and added 27 rec. for 225 yds. and 2 TDs.  Compare that to Taylor:  113 carries for 428 and 4 TDs, plus 22 rec. for 203 (0 TDs).  Obviously, Robinson's numbers are better, in every way but it is not as big a difference as I expected to find (they are definitely trending in opposite directions, however).  So the question for me is do I believe enough in Robinson and the Jags to pass on a guy who I still consider to be a superior prospect?  Trading away Robinson as I approach a playoff run would hurt my team, no doubt, but two seasons from now, I could very well look back at this moment as a significant point for my dynasty team.  I still worry Robinson is not a long-term RB1, and, despite his recent woes, I feel Taylor is a more secure future asset.  I cannot make a trade until after this week's games now, since the other team had Taylor in his starting lineup last night, but considering the poor performance, I don't expect he will pull the offer, barring a Robinson injury.  My gut is telling me to make the trade and gamble on Taylor.  
I too am struggling with whether or not to move Robinson. I have no legit offers on the table so that helps me keep him. Last offer I got was not even close. (I was offered Julio, Z. Moss, Ronald Jones & 2021 2nd for my Robinson, AJ Brown & 2021 1st in dynasty PPR)

socrates said:
Yeah the bolded is the thing. Robinson is not just a volume guy. Watching him reminds me of a sturdier Curtis Martin. Almost a Fred Taylor/Curtis Martin hybrid. Just clean, efficient football.

But regardless of Robinson, if you want to buy Taylor, this is the window. This is what blood in the streets looks like.

I have been getting offers as of late also, just dont know if I can pull the trigger. Last one was Robinson and Lazard for ARob, Fuller, Sample and a 1st.

Thing is my RB depth (CMC, CEH, Dobbins, Gordon, Gio, Davis)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got offered Michael Thomas for Robinson and A. Rogers. I have D. Watson at QB and A. Jones, Robinson, Mixon and Gibson. I was looking at Robinson's FF playoff schedule and it isn't pretty. 

I have been getting offers as of late also, just dont know if I can pull the trigger. Last one was Robinson and Lazard for ARob, Fuller, Sample and a 1st.

Wow. That's a strong offer for Robinson. Low WR1, WR2 who can go on WR1 streaks, and a first. I love JR, but I'd move him for that deal.

Insta accept for me.

Wow. That's a strong offer for Robinson. Low WR1, WR2 who can go on WR1 streaks, and a first. I love JR, but I'd move him for that deal.
Yes still pondering pulling the trigger. Lots of other factors, dynasty/contract/salary cap 14 team league. Have Watson and Big Ben at QB, OBJ, Thielen, Dionte Johnson, Chase Claypool, Tee Higgins, Jakobi Myers, Laviska Shenault, Bryan Edwards,.Allen Lazard at WR. 

Wondering if I am killing my RBs by dealing him, especially with the CMC injury and Gordon sucking lol

Yes still pondering pulling the trigger. Lots of other factors, dynasty/contract/salary cap 14 team league. Have Watson and Big Ben at QB, OBJ, Thielen, Dionte Johnson, Chase Claypool, Tee Higgins, Jakobi Myers, Laviska Shenault, Bryan Edwards,.Allen Lazard at WR. 

Wondering if I am killing my RBs by dealing him, especially with the CMC injury and Gordon sucking lol
You might be but the offer is pretty strong so hard to pass up.

If time isn't as issue perhaps explore what you could buy at RB for a couple of your top WRs then see if you like your team after both deals better than your team right now.

Lazard has been good so its not like your giving up nothing there although Fuller is more valuable than him.

I've still sort of got him technically on the block. No feelers whatsoever incoming. Don't really feel like shopping him, either, if that's the level of interest. Todd Gurley went for a first in our league. He's one a one-year deal. Figured I should get around the same for Robinson, though he has much less pedigree.

I've still sort of got him technically on the block. No feelers whatsoever incoming. Don't really feel like shopping him, either, if that's the level of interest. Todd Gurley went for a first in our league. He's one a one-year deal. Figured I should get around the same for Robinson, though he has much less pedigree.
If you just want a first you may as well just send that offer out to everyone in the league.  It's not that time consuming and I bet someone would accept it.  I know I would in most of my leagues where my first is not projected very early.

You should be able to get more than a 1st for him based on how he is performing and how young he is.

I can see wanting to get out. There are a ton of guys who have been UDFA one year wonders in fantasy but do not become much more than that. I have not watched Robinson enough to have an opinion about that. I wonder what others think?

The Jaguars are a team I just don't follow as much as others. Is Robinson a risk to be replaced by another RB in 2021?

It would be near impossible to do better with a 1st round pick next year than what Robinson has done so far this season.

You should be able to get more than a 1st for him based on how he is performing and how young he is.

I can see wanting to get out. There are a ton of guys who have been UDFA one year wonders in fantasy but do not become much more than that. I have not watched Robinson enough to have an opinion about that. I wonder what others think?

The Jaguars are a team I just don't follow as much as others. Is Robinson a risk to be replaced by another RB in 2021?

It would be near impossible to do better with a 1st round pick next year than what Robinson has done so far this season.
Yeah, that's true, but your caveat is exactly my worry. I was not a win-now team. I took over a team this past spring and have been looking to turn it around. The guy left some really good pieces, though. I took Robinson as a free agent in our league before Fournette was cut and while Robinson was fourth on the depth chart. We have deep rosters. I liked his highlights to a degree. Nothing overwhelming, but good enough that I thought with Armstead on COVID and the team trying to dump Fournette at the draft, who knew? Take a chance. So I did and now he's RB4 or whatever in the league and has basically won me out of any good draft position I might have been able to grab with a high first. I sort of am already biting the bullet on that. 

But enough of that. My concern is exactly about the one-year wonder UDFA and the new coaching staff coming along. Robinson looks...alright. Not a ton of burst but enough to get by. He certainly seems big and durable, and operates really well as a blocker and as a pass catcher. Within his athleticism, some of his moves are jaw dropping. Him switching one hand to the other to reach around the pylon and score while in midair was something else a few weeks back, so there are eye-popping plays.

It's just...I don't want to be left holding the bag when it all comes down. Football coaches are fickle. Just like with any roster management decision in any workplace, they're going to want to have say in who gets 15-20 touches per game. They usually prefer their guy. So where does that leave Robinson? Well, in my league, he's on the block. No inquiries. Not a one. Gurley went for a first rounder at his advanced age and one-year contract. But Robinson has nary a peep.

If you just want a first you may as well just send that offer out to everyone in the league.  It's not that time consuming and I bet someone would accept it.  I know I would in most of my leagues where my first is not projected very early.
I tried this a few weeks ago. Like three weeks ago. I got a "not interested in Robinson" and the others gave no reply. The only guy interested balked at Cooper Kupp, DeVante Adams, and Jon Bostic for Mims, Robinson, and Corey Davis.

So here I sit. My leaguemates seem inordinately flinty when it comes to trading. i shopped Elliott and couldn't get much in return. I'll have to wait and see. I'm holding at this point with the expectation that something comes along at some point. Someone is going to need the guy to win it all.  

I don't know what the Jaguars plans are as far as a coaching change or direction of their franchise to speculate where they are at in regards to Robinson.

I do know they cut Leonard Fournette who they invested a top 5 draft pick into after only having him for 3 seasons so they could play Robsinson instead.

There are some UDFA and low draft picks who have had very good careers such as Arian Foster and Priest Holmes. You never know.

The average number of seasons a RB has that are as good as what Robinson is doing right now is two. Its hard for any RB to stay good for long. Its just a bit harder to do as a UDFA than a guy a team is more committed to.

If I am the Jaguars I would stick with Robinson and allocate resources elsewhere until his wheels fall off but I don't know what they will do. I will say what they have done this season looks really smart right now and is the perfect argument for the RBs don't matter narrative.

rockaction as far as your specific scenario where you want to trade Robinson I would suggest trying to trade him for some top WR you like as you can extend the value of your resource in that way.

I know you said interest in Robinson is unknown to you right now, but some of these owners may pounce at the opportunity to get Robsinson for a good WR while a WR might fit your longer term goals better.

Yeah, that's true, but your caveat is exactly my worry. I was not a win-now team. I took over a team this past spring and have been looking to turn it around. The guy left some really good pieces, though. I took Robinson as a free agent in our league before Fournette was cut and while Robinson was fourth on the depth chart. We have deep rosters. I liked his highlights to a degree. Nothing overwhelming, but good enough that I thought with Armstead on COVID and the team trying to dump Fournette at the draft, who knew? Take a chance. So I did and now he's RB4 or whatever in the league and has basically won me out of any good draft position I might have been able to grab with a high first. I sort of am already biting the bullet on that. 

But enough of that. My concern is exactly about the one-year wonder UDFA and the new coaching staff coming along. Robinson looks...alright. Not a ton of burst but enough to get by. He certainly seems big and durable, and operates really well as a blocker and as a pass catcher. Within his athleticism, some of his moves are jaw dropping. Him switching one hand to the other to reach around the pylon and score while in midair was something else a few weeks back, so there are eye-popping plays.

It's just...I don't want to be left holding the bag when it all comes down. Football coaches are fickle. Just like with any roster management decision in any workplace, they're going to want to have say in who gets 15-20 touches per game. They usually prefer their guy. So where does that leave Robinson? Well, in my league, he's on the block. No inquiries. Not a one. Gurley went for a first rounder at his advanced age and one-year contract. But Robinson has nary a peep.

I tried this a few weeks ago. Like three weeks ago. I got a "not interested in Robinson" and the others gave no reply. The only guy interested balked at Cooper Kupp, DeVante Adams, and Jon Bostic for Mims, Robinson, and Corey Davis.

So here I sit. My leaguemates seem inordinately flinty when it comes to trading. i shopped Elliott and couldn't get much in return. I'll have to wait and see. I'm holding at this point with the expectation that something comes along at some point. Someone is going to need the guy to win it all.  
I'm sure you are acutely aware of this but your concerns about Robinson apply broadly to every RB. The challenge is trying to delineate between "positional risk" and "Robinson specific risk". The reality is, in 2020 he's managed to become the clear cut lead back in Jax and there aren't even 32 of those in the NFL. If you get two years out of him, how are you any worse off than people who drafted Trent Richardson?

James Robinson rushed 22 times for 128 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' Week 12 loss to the Browns, adding five catches for 31 yards.

Robinson continued his historic season with 159 yards from scrimmage this week. He currently sits at 1,170 yards from scrimmage. He is currently pacing for the most yards from scrimmage by a UDFA rookie in the Super Bowl era. He really just needs to stay healthy to get the record of 1,278 set by Phillip Lindsay in 2018. No other running back saw a target or carry once again. Robinson is operating as the league's premier three-down back and should be viewed as one of the safest RB1s every week.

- Rotoworld

I love this guy. What a stud. RB1 production at rock bottom prices. We'll see what he does down the stretch, but he's got the look of a league winner. I have no intention of cashing out. Watching him play, he is the real deal. Reminds me of a more sturdy Curtis Martin. Nothing sexy but just gets the job done down after down.

I am plummeting this year in my dynasty league due to injuries so i decided to try and re-tool on the fly and get my injured guys back for next year.  I traded Lamar ($66-$86), Chubb ($25-$35), James Robinson ($45) and a couple defensive guys for Dak ($15), Mixon ($15), Taylor ($10/2022) and a high draft pick (our draft picks have differing values due to our restricted free agent auction before the draft).

I wanted to cut salary while maintaining talent level and I think I did just that with this deal.  I saved about $100 in cap space (out of $250 cap) and I think I maintained talent level for 2021.  This may the best way to move Robinson to maximize his value.  

Moved James Robinson and Robert Woods for Saquon Barkley. I am pretty well stocked at RB and thought it would be a nice upgrade that I could afford to wait on. I have no regrets but he is looking very good.

How in the world is Chubb cheaper than Robinson?
Chubb will not escalate as much as Robinson.  The values are projected based on current performance and where they are likely to finish the season in scoring.  The top 15 of each position escalate some amount if the player is not under contract.  Robinson was signed as a free agent (Salary is $10 for all free agents and only 1 year so he is eligible for escalation) and he is currently in the top 5 for RB's which means his escalation will be a minimum of up to the average of the top 5 RB salaries (which is $45).  Chubb on the other hand has a salary of $25 right now (contract ended 2020 so he is eligible for escalation) but due to injuries and missing games he likely won't get into the top 5 so his salary will escalate $10 or $5 depending if he ends up 6-10 or 11-15 in RB scoring.  

Basically if you perform like a top 5 at your position you will escalate to a salary equivalent to a top 5 guy as long as you aren't under contract.

Basically if you perform like a top 5 at your position you will escalate to a salary equivalent to a top 5 guy as long as you aren't under contract.
Seems like a giant loophole.  Chubb is performing like a top 5 at his position in all the games where he's been healthy.  Nice job getting him at a discount.

Seems like a giant loophole.  Chubb is performing like a top 5 at his position in all the games where he's been healthy.  Nice job getting him at a discount.
It's actually the opposite of a loophole.  If the guy performs he gets paid (name doesn't matter).  If he doesn't perform he doesn't escalate.  If you think a guy is going to perform you have the ability to award a contract when you draft/auction a player to limit the escalation ability with the risk that you are on the hook for that salary for the duration.  

The "loophole" is that if a player gets injured (Dak or Mixon - the two I traded for) they won't finish in the top 15 of their position so they won't escalate.  The anti-loophole part to that is that you aren't getting to use them when they are hurt so they aren't really helping your team.  Chubb missed quite a few games keeping his points down for the year.  He is currently #15 at RB in our scoring at 94 pts.  The current #5 RB is at 135 pts.  If he continues putting up huge points he is likely to climb into the top 10 or top 5 adding to his salary (which is currently at $25 vs Robinson at $10)

James Robinson (knee) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

Robinson has been extremely durable in his rookie campaign. The limited session keeps him on track for Week 14 against the Titans where he's a cinch RB1 averaging 24.3 touches per game over his last six appearances.

Dec 9, 2020, 4:30 PM ET

James Robinson (knee) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice. 

Robinson's Week 14 status is not in doubt against the Titans. Seeing remarkably consistent workloads, Robinson has settled in as a weekly top-six option. 

Dec 10, 2020, 7:24 PM ET

James Robinson (knee) was limited at Friday's practice but has no designation on the Jaguars' final Week 14 injury report. 

Robinson was never in doubt for Week 14 against the Titans. One of the league's last true workhorse backs, Robinson is a plugged-in RB1 every week. He's notched 24.3 touches per game over his last six appearances.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Dec 11, 2020, 3:08 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread