What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (1 Viewer)

Hall >>> post-Achilles Robinson.

I fear this may muddy up Hall next year & beyond. Ugh.
Only if Hall isn't properly recovered. We saw what Hall was doing when healthy, right? He was on the verge of being the best RB in the NFL. Robinson isn't keeping him off the field just like he wasn't able to compete with ETN.
Agreed. It’s just….muddier. Even if temporary.

Signed, ETN shareholder.

Jets acquired RB James Robinson from the Jaguars.

The Jaguars get a late-round pick. It's a move that makes sense for both sides after Robinson played just 12 snaps in Week 7 and didn't register a touch while the Jets lost rookie sensation Breece Hall to a season-ending torn ACL. In New York, Robinson will slide right in next to Michael Carter in the Jets' backfield duo. This move is also huge for Travis Etienne in Jacksonville, locking him in as the RB1 after he'd been distancing himself in recent weeks. JaMycal Hasty figures to move up the depth chart to fill RB2 duties for the Jaguars. Robinson's fantasy arrow is back pointing upward.
-
Ian Rapoport, Twitter

ESPN article says (quoting) "Robinson played only 12 snaps on Sunday against the New York Giants, with the bulk of Jacksonville's carries going to Travis Etienne. Jaguars coach Doug Pederson said Monday that was due to Robinson dealing with some soreness in his knees and "nothing about him as a running back."

EDIT: I would think knee soreness the guy would sit, so basically a smokescreen from Pederson. Robinson is a guy who can be a workhorse and get more than what's blocked per his history, but coming back from an Achillies he's not going to be the man this year (though he is over 4 YPC). You figure his splits with the Jets if he can get 40% of the work and mix in passing opportunities (he's been a passcatcher previously) and maybe get some goalline work, he could retain low-end RB2 value. As of right now probably an RB3.

EDIT 2: @JFS171 thread rename please

Ugh. He gonna start over Carter?
You think they’re trading for him to be a backup?
It's possible, they hardly gave up anything.
Yeah, I’m not sure why Jax would trade him for that
He's kind of a plodding RB in the last year of his deal that they were starting to phase out, and he may or may not have a creaky knee. It's what the market said he was worth.

I like the move for both teams as well. On the one hand I think we can say all it takes is one sucker (the Jets).

But on the other hand I think this is a strong endorsement of how good of a running back Robinson is. The Jets are 5-2 and need to supplement their corps and are willing to spend draft capital on it. Even if it is a one-year rental it says a lot about how highly regarded Robinson is. A major coup for a guy that was undrafted to get another team to spend a pick to get him. Plus I've always liked him.

I was really amazed he made it back from his injury so early and has looked so good. I feel like the Rams OL has been getting creamed and I *still* don't know what to make of Akers. I feel like he has 4 defensive players in his face immediately after getting the ball. When he used to play for the Rams that is. Is he going to get traded? How wild would that be that two guys with Achilles get traded before a guy like Hunt?

I like the move for both teams as well. On the one hand I think we can say all it takes is one sucker (the Jets).

But on the other hand I think this is a strong endorsement of how good of a running back Robinson is. The Jets are 5-2 and need to supplement their corps and are willing to spend draft capital on it. Even if it is a one-year rental it says a lot about how highly regarded Robinson is. A major coup for a guy that was undrafted to get another team to spend a pick to get him. Plus I've always liked him.

I was really amazed he made it back from his injury so early and has looked so good. I feel like the Rams OL has been getting creamed and I *still* don't know what to make of Akers. I feel like he has 4 defensive players in his face immediately after getting the ball. When he used to play for the Rams that is. Is he going to get traded? How wild would that be that two guys with Achilles get traded before a guy like Hunt?
How is a 6th rounder that even if he becomes all-pro can only become a 5th rounder (both looking late) a "strong endorsement"? I agree, love the story, and it's still spectacular even if he's "only" an NFL JAG RB, but it's not like it's some huge investment.

How is a 6th rounder that even if he becomes all-pro can only become a 5th rounder (both looking late) a "strong endorsement"? I agree, love the story, and it's still spectacular even if he's "only" an NFL JAG RB, but it's not like it's some huge investment.
Yeah. One narrative on Rotoworld was that Carter will maintain his current role behind Robinson. That would be really surprising. Robinson is no Breece Hall. I think Carter is the main back. They needed a back-up and got one cheap

huhn, going by Twitter reports it sounds like the Jets are planning on starting him, I'm suprised at that. Looks like they will reprise their early season committee when Breece hadn't broken through yet. Check out these Week 2 snap numbers for the Jets @ the Browns:

This is Robert Saleh we're talking about; I don't think they'll give any one back 61% of the work. At most, whomever the lead back may get 50-55%, the secondary back could get 30-35% and Ty Johnson if the 3rd down guy get 10-15%. Jets also used to run 2 RB sets but I don't think they'll do that anymore.

Because he was undrafted and because the position is getting devalued every day. The fact he is coming off an achilles and got someone to spend any capital at all is an endorsement. I find it significant. Huge investment? No. And by strong endorsement I don't mean that I think he will be the starter bellcow. I expect once he learns the playbook they will split in a 1a/1b thing. Which I think is good for FF because they will be competing. With Flacco hopefully.

The Athletic: Jets’ trade for RB James Robinson shows Joe Douglas is all-in on playoff push

The Jets made a win-now trade in October.

As if any more evidence was needed that things are changing for this franchise, Jets general manager Joe Douglas completed a deal Monday that makes it clear: Even after some devastating injuries, the Jets will not be resting on their laurels. They are 5-2, with their sights set on the playoffs.

They lost running back Breece Hall (torn ACL) for the season on Sunday, and Douglas found his replacement in short order: The Jets acquired running back James Robinson from the Jaguars, a person briefed on the trade but not authorized to speak publicly about it confirmed to The Athletic. According to reports, the Jets traded a sixth-round pick that will become a fifth-round pick if Robinson rushes for 600 yards this season.

Robinson has already rushed for 340 yards this season, so as he takes on a significant role in a run-heavy offense, he’ll likely sail past that number.

And that’s why this deal — and making a move for a running back in general — was so important. The Jets are on a four-game winning streak, and most of that streak has been powered by a dominant rushing attack. Robinson is far from the explosive weapon Hall was as a rookie this season, but he’s a proven, productive running back who should fit nicely with Michael Carter.

The Jets started the season with a 50/50 split at running back: In Week 1, Carter had 17 touches and Hall had 12. They’ll likely go back to that with Robinson in the fold, with Ty Johnson also working into the rotation as an option on passing downs.

But really, this trade is about Robinson — and Douglas. It has been a long time since the Jets were a team looking to add talent before the trade deadline, but that’s exactly what happened here. In the past, if the Jets had lost a key player right before the deadline, they would’ve simply plugged the hole with someone already on the roster. But they are still playing meaningful games, in Week 8, and Douglas saw an opportunity to add a useful piece without giving up too much.

Even better: Robinson is only 24. He’s in the last year of his contract, but since he signed with the Jags as an undrafted free agent, he’ll be a restricted free agent this offseason. That makes it easier for the Jets to hold onto him if Hall isn’t ready to go when training camp begins next year.

The Jets are hoping to get the version of Robinson who started off his career in 2020 with 1,070 rushing yards, 344 receiving yards and 10 total touchdowns. He followed that up in 2021 with 989 total yards and eight touchdowns in 14 games before suffering a torn Achilles in Week 16.

He recovered quickly, though, and was ready for Week 1 this season. In the first three weeks he rushed for 230 yards and three touchdowns, averaging 4.51 yards per carry. Travis Etienne — a first-round pick last year — took over as the top running back last week, though, and Robinson barely played in Week 7.

When reporters asked Jaguars coach Doug Pederson why Robinson had just one target against the Giants, he said: “We just have to make sure he is 100 percent before we move forward.”

Robinson hasn’t appeared on the injury report this season.

So what kind of running back are the Jets getting in Robinson?

Here’s what The Athletic’s Dane Brugler wrote about Robinson, coming out of Illinois State, in his 2020 draft guide: “Robinson is quick to and through lanes with the toughness to wear out the defense, setting the tone with his physicality. However, he has taken plenty of punishment over his career and his elusiveness rating is below average by NFL standards. Overall, Robinson is a proven workhorse who consistently picks up positive yardage with his vision and determination, although his quicker-than-fast run style could be an issue vs. NFL-level speed.”

Brugler also wrote that Robinson is an “attitude runner and his NFL-level toughness shows in his blocking.”

It hasn’t been a perfect season for Robinson, though some of that could be attributed to his coming off the Achilles injury. Per TruMedia, among 20 running backs with 80 or more carries, no player had a higher percentage of his carries go for negative or 0 yards than Robinson (28.4 percent). It’s not as if Robinson was running behind a great offensive line, either: The Jaguars’ offensive line is ranked 27th in adjusted line yards, which Football Outsiders uses to measure run blocking, whereas the Jets rank 17th.

And Robinson is also a useful pass-catcher, though the Jaguars got away from that this year (seven targets in seven games). In his first two seasons, Robinson had 80 receptions (on 106 targets) for 566 yards and three touchdowns. Per TruMedia, among 28 running backs who have run 500-plus routes since 2020, he ranks 13th in EPA per target (0.02) and 19th in first downs per target (23.9 percent).

The Jets are likely hoping Robinson can get acclimated in time to play against the Patriots on Sunday. Carter — averaging 3.5 yards per carry this season — will likely start, the two of them working together as a one-two punch.

Robinson might not provide the same electricity Hall did every time he touched the ball, but bringing him into the fold lessens the sting of losing such a vital part of the Jets offense.

The trade deadline is 4 p.m. ET on Nov. 1.

Maybe Trader Joe isn’t done yet.

Because he was undrafted and because the position is getting devalued every day. The fact he is coming off an achilles and got someone to spend any capital at all is an endorsement. I find it significant. Huge investment? No. And by strong endorsement I don't mean that I think he will be the starter bellcow. I expect once he learns the playbook they will split in a 1a/1b thing. Which I think is good for FF because they will be competing. With Flacco hopefully.
Agree to disagree I suppose. A 6th rounder is essentially free, especially with all of the compensatory picks they now hand out. This was also the perfect storm for them, the Jets are surprisingly in contention and just lost the reason they are so immediately went looking for some help. And I like the trade for the Jets, mostly because there's almost no risk, and think he can certainly carve out a decent sized role there.

Again, love the story, but I think a lot of people got carried away "wanting" these guys to have bounced back fully from their injuries. Unfortunately it's not looking great for them, and the reason they're likely to be traded before Hunt is purely cost (and/or perhaps Cleveland being unwilling to deal him).

Last edited:
I think it was a fantastic trade for Jets - they don’t give up anything of significance and get a back who should be able to give them solid production. He is a great north south runner who is underutilized in the passing game.

He isn’t going to get 75% of the touches but he will be very productive with whatever percentage he is given.

Not sure what this means for fantasy, however. But for actual NFL impact, Jets fans should be thrilled.

I think it was a fantastic trade for Jets - they don’t give up anything of significance and get a back who should be able to give them solid production. He is a great north south runner who is underutilized in the passing game.

He isn’t going to get 75% of the touches but he will be very productive with whatever percentage he is given.

Not sure what this means for fantasy, however. But for actual NFL impact, Jets fans should be thrilled.
I agree, they have a guy they can feel comfortable taking some of the workload and didn't have to give up really anything for him. I don't know how the split will shake out. The Jets are going to have to change things up because neither Robinson nor Carter is going to be the reason they win.

How wild would that be that two guys with Achilles get traded before a guy like Hunt?
Never underestimate the arrogance of a front office. The Rams have said they’re comfortable with making Kyren Williams their primary ball carrier & I believe them.

For another, Hunt has some baggage, and would likely cost more in trade than Akers or Robinson.

And while I agree with you that it’s amazing robinson has come back so quickly, his numbers have crashed pretty hard.

Outside of one long TD, Robinson has been a 3 yards and cloud of dust kind of guy. Akers even less effective. So I totally understand why their teams would deal them. I’m not completely sure why a team like the Jets would target Robinson over Hunt. Hunt’s only issue would seem to be usage.

It’ll be interesting to see if their new teams (if Akers goes to one) are any improvement for them. If not, that might be the book closing on “miracle RB Achilles recovery”.

He's no longer a JAG RB. He got traded to the JETS. Keep up.
:pokey:

Why are people so confident JRob is going to be large if not main running game factor for Jets now?

I know he’s a fun story, but a UDFA coming off torn Achilles injury at the price of a 6th round pick supplanting last year’s 4th round pick seems a bit lofty. Not that he won’t factor in, just seems like he is def the B option and not A

Why are people so confident JRob is going to be large if not main running game factor for Jets now?

I know he’s a fun story, but a UDFA coming off torn Achilles injury at the price of a 6th round pick supplanting last year’s 4th round pick seems a bit lofty. Not that he won’t factor in, just seems like he is def the B option and not A
i don’t think carter has the build or game to be a 3 down back and saleh likes his SF rotation. this feels like a 60/40 split in carter’s favor, ty dolla maybe stealing some work here and then. but i could see saleh being a hit hand guy too during in game situations. i think it will be a sliding 60/40 game to game.

I think his knee soreness was more about the impending trade to the Jets. Didn't want him to even risk getting hurt. I think he will produce on the Jets. Carter isn't the guy.

I think his knee soreness was more about the impending trade to the Jets. Didn't want him to even risk getting hurt. I think he will produce on the Jets. Carter isn't the guy.
A trade in general maybe but couldn’t have been with the Jets in mind unless they knew Hall was going to get hurt in the 4pm game.

A trade in general maybe but couldn’t have been with the Jets in mind unless they knew Hall was going to get hurt in the 4pm game.
Oh, they knew. Open your eyes. Bill Gates. Nuff said.

Yeah. One narrative on Rotoworld was that Carter will maintain his current role behind Robinson. That would be really surprising. Robinson is no Breece Hall. I think Carter is the main back. They needed a back-up and got one cheap
There won’t be a “main” back. It will be like early in the season where the snaps were split.

With Flacco hopefully.
I very much doubt this. Long as Zach is healthy anyway, I don’t see a change coming. I do see them opening things up for Zach though. And if he’s horrible, then maybe. Otherwise no.’
Flacco is not good. He had a great run at the end of the Cleveland game but was terrible Week 1 and Week 3.

Maybe Zach isn’t good either but there’s zero reason to go back to Flacco - if anything they’d give Mike White a shot I guess - but Zach would have to have a few more weeks like last week for that to happen.

And while I agree with you that it’s amazing robinson has come back so quickly, his numbers have crashed pretty hard.

Outside of one long TD, Robinson has been a 3 yards and cloud of dust kind of guy.
He hasn't crashed at all. He's a career 4.5 avg guy putting up a 4.2 avg this season. Nothing has changed besides his opportunities.

There is some pretty drastic differences of opinion on who will be the lead back via nat'l radio FF shows. I heard yesterday from a guy who is supposedly connected with the Jets that he expects Robinson to take over the backfield, w Carter as the 3rd down relief. Others like Hansen are thinking JRob is a JAG and Carter will be the guy.

Outside of one long TD, Robinson has been a 3 yards and cloud of dust kind of guy.
He hasn't crashed at all. He's a career 4.5 avg guy putting up a 4.2 avg this season. Nothing has changed besides his opportunities.
4.2 ypc is easily the lowest of his career, and I suspect he's talking about his more recent performances- his ypc was 4.5 his first 3 games of this season, it's been under 3.7 the last 3. YPR is down too this year (small sample size).
There is some pretty drastic differences of opinion on who will be the lead back via nat'l radio FF shows. I heard yesterday from a guy who is supposedly connected with the Jets that he expects Robinson to take over the backfield, w Carter as the 3rd down relief. Others like Hansen are thinking JRob is a JAG and Carter will be the guy.
Other than our need to be "right" or "first", I'm not sure how anyone can be super confident in how this is going to shake out. They're both fairly Jaggy RBs, seems like they'll each get some opportunities and whichever does better will earn more, and that may change from game to game. Who really knows though, I'm not sure if the coaches themselves do. :shrug:

4.2 ypc is easily the lowest of his career, and I suspect he's talking about his more recent performances- his ypc was 4.5 his first 3 games of this season, it's been under 3.7 the last 3. YPR is down too this year (small sample size).
2020 was 4.5, 2021 was 4.7, this year 4.2. The last game he was featured in against Indy two weeks ago he had a 4.5 ypc.

That’s probably the ideal scenario- although the Jets haven’t used a 3rd down back, Hall and Carter both just stayed on the field during their series and both were used as pass catchers and blockers. I suspect they would love for Robinson to grow into what Hall was starting to become but I’m not sure Robinson can handle that, and I am sure he couldn’t do it as well. I think once Robinson is worked in he’s the 1a but it’s probably a 1a/1b situation that could flip flop some weeks (hot hand).

2020 was 4.5, 2021 was 4.7, this year 4.2. The last game he was featured in against Indy two weeks ago he had a 4.5 ypc.
Yes- as I said, 4.2 ypc is easily the lowest of his career, and the 2nd half of this year has been worse than the first half for him.

I wouldn't say 12 carries (plus 1 reception for 1 yd) is "featured", but context is important- Etienne had a 8.6 ypc and 11 ypr in that same game. For the season it's Etienne at 6.1 ypc and 10.8 ypr vs. Robinson at 4.2 ypc and 5.1 ypr (again, both career lows for him).

Seems pretty straight forward to me, his performance is certainly down and looks even worse when compared to his counterpart. He likely wouldn't have been essentially given away if it wasn't.

He likely wouldn't have been essentially given away if it wasn't.
The only thing I really liked about the deal for the Jets is that he was practically free and in a worse case scenario (which would actually be good for the Jets because it would mean he was productive or better) they only pay a 5th round pick, which still have long odds.

My gut says Robinson will carry the load. Don't think the Jets make the trade otherwise. Carter will be COP and 3rd down guy. Carter isn't a 20+ carry RB.
Hence why they drafted Hall.

He likely wouldn't have been essentially given away if it wasn't.
The only thing I really liked about the deal for the Jets is that he was practically free and in a worse case scenario (which would actually be good for the Jets because it would mean he was productive or better) they only pay a 5th round pick, which still have long odds.
Yep, seems like a no-brainer to me, close to zero downside.

Maybe it isn't a "lead back" scenario. They already have a part of the playbook for Carter and surely that stays. Robinson presumably takes on some or most of the Hall part of the playbook. And then the mix is how often they use those plays.

-QG

That’s probably the ideal scenario- although the Jets haven’t used a 3rd down back, Hall and Carter both just stayed on the field during their series and both were used as pass catchers and blockers. I suspect they would love for Robinson to grow into what Hall was starting to become but I’m not sure Robinson can handle that, and I am sure he couldn’t do it as well. I think once Robinson is worked in he’s the 1a but it’s probably a 1a/1b situation that could flip flop some weeks (hot hand).
I think the most likely scenario is a roughly even split like we saw between Carter and Hall early in the season (before Hall took over the starting job). I think the Jets know Carter can't handle anything close to a bellcow role, which is why they drafted Hall and traded for Robinson. Meanwhile, Robinson was able to do that in the past, but may not be up for it post-injury.

the season YPC isn’t evidence that he hasn’t crashed. His 50 yard TD buoyed his YPC a bit.

His last few games he was 3.6, 2.5 & 4.5 - and in the latter, he had a 14 yard run out of his 12 touches - otherwise he was 3.6 YPC.

In those same games ETN was over 7 YPC on a larger workload.

My gut says Robinson will carry the load. Don't think the Jets make the trade otherwise. Carter will be COP and 3rd down guy. Carter isn't a 20+ carry RB.
Hence why they drafted Hall.
I disagree. Carter is the trusted back - I could see it shifting to a 50-50 split as Robinson learns the playbook, but for the next game or 2 I’d expect Carter to be the lead dog.

Just checked sports edge & there it is:

Jets head coach Robert Saleh said the team would "take it slow" with newly-acquired RB James Robinson.​

Saleh on Wednesday said Robinson would be a "good complement" to Michael Carter and Ty Johnson following Breece Hall's season-ending ACL injury. That Saleh mentioned Johnson could mean New York's backfield will be a three-way committee -- at least for a while, until Carter or Robinson take command.

the season YPC isn’t evidence that he hasn’t crashed. His 50 yard TD buoyed his YPC a bit.

His last few games he was 3.6, 2.5 & 4.5 - and in the latter, he had a 14 yard run out of his 12 touches - otherwise he was 3.6 YPC.

You know that the taking away longest runs argument is a logical fallacy.

That would hurt any RB's Y/A stats.

I think that, slightly lost in the whole workload argument is the fact that the Jets lost Alijah Vera-Tucker for the season. Their OL unit as a whole has been devastated all year long. Potentially* it is going to be tough going for any RB behind this patchwork unit.

*The reason I say only potentially and not certainly is because the Raiders also have a very below average offensive line on paper , that has been rotating players all year, but Josh Jacobs is somehow playing hero ball ATM.

You know that the taking away longest runs argument is a logical fallacy.

That would hurt any RB's Y/A stats.
It’s not a fallacy if I’m acknowledging the context.

It’s just a breakdown of his day.

Users who are viewing this thread