What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Javonte Williams, DEN (1 Viewer)

Totally disagree. He'll be more than fine, if healthy, which I'd bet on. Dude's a beast, he just got injured, it's football. He's still young, I expect him to bounce back and won't be over-used (sorry FFs).

But come December, he'll be racking up the yards and they'll be fine with that D.

They need to fortify the OL some more. Plenty to like on this team, who finally has more than a high school coach at the helm.
So you believe he will recover 100% with no issues? Is that what you are expressing?
I have doubts as his injury was more significant than most, even more than Dobbins. There are some medical citations claiming lots of “IF” he recovers, not when. That has to give me pause.
I have considered buying low but it might be a dry well. I want more info on his rehabilitation progress & recovery. Most are not positive (yet, too early).
And with the deep RB draft, Denver could & should pick up insurance and then it could be a RBBC again

Broncos GM George Paton said Javonte Williams (ACL) will be back this season at some point but "doesn't know when."

Paton also noted that if the best player available is a RB when the Broncos draft, that could be a possibility. It's nigh-impossible to feel confident in Williams' status this year after multiple ligament tears leave his short-term future in question. He should be treated as someone who you'll have to carry on your bench in fantasy leagues in 2023 at this point.
SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter
Apr 20, 2023 at 2:49 PM ET

I think the Broncos should look at drafting a RB this year. Good depth and talent. Don't need to reach or use pick 68, but could be some good value at 108 or 139. I'm also of belief that Javonte will never be the RB people hope he can be.
Totally disagree. He'll be more than fine, if healthy, which I'd bet on. Dude's a beast, he just got injured, it's football. He's still young, I expect him to bounce back and won't be over-used (sorry FFs).

But come December, he'll be racking up the yards and they'll be fine with that D.

They need to fortify the OL some more. Plenty to like on this team, who finally has more than a high school coach at the helm.
Dobbins begs to differ and so do other RBs in the past with the same extensive injuries, their first year back.

I think the Broncos should look at drafting a RB this year. Good depth and talent. Don't need to reach or use pick 68, but could be some good value at 108 or 139. I'm also of belief that Javonte will never be the RB people hope he can be.

I sure hope so but it was a multi ligament injury there's already been talk of not being ready. There's more money to be made betting against injured players than there is betting for them.

You guys were right, I was wrong. I did not know the extent of the injury, figured it was more like your typical ACL, which is no longer a career killer, or at least the big question it used to be.

So yeah, OL and RB seem more likely with those back-to-back thirds.
Yeah, it really sucks for him. I hate it.

“I would tell you that we expect [Javonte] to be ready by the start of training camp. And that’s good news.” -Sean Payton

Might explain why the Broncos didn't draft a running back.

He would tell us? If, what? I'm guessing this sounded less dubious in context, maybe in response to a question like "Would you be able to tell us anything about Javonte Williams?"

“I would tell you that we expect [Javonte] to be ready by the start of training camp. And that’s good news.” -Sean Payton

Might explain why the Broncos didn't draft a running back.

He would tell us? If, what? I'm guessing this sounded less dubious in context, maybe in response to a question like "Would you be able to tell us anything about Javonte Williams?"
Think JK Dobbins last year.

Sean Payton on RB Javonte Williams (ACL recovery): “I would tell you that we expect him to be ready by the start of training camp. And that’s good news.” #9sports

Sounds like 100% “Coach Speak” BS and did the question specify 2023??
Agree 💯
Dynasty is hold and hope…hope is not a strategy. Redraft is dnd, pick up off waivers in week 6. Somebody is going to burn a mid round pick on the name

I want no parts of Javonte, reports are not looking good
Which reports?
Reports of the complete destruction of his knee and the potential of him not playing again (or close to the same caliber). The comparison of Dobbins injury being minor compared to Javonte. All the reports were Pre-Payton and now the story is not consistent.
The Denver GM (forget his name) came out and said “he hope Javonte would be available by mid-season” and then next day or 2 retracted his statement saying “hopes he is available for camp”.
I admit I did not look for the reports to post here but there was FBG article in Jan(?) about it discussing the severity of it.

ETA : https://dknation.draftkings.com/pla...t-timeline-recovery-depth-chart-samaje-perine

I want no parts of Javonte, reports are not looking good
Which reports?
Reports of the complete destruction of his knee and the potential of him not playing again (or close to the same caliber). The comparison of Dobbins injury being minor compared to Javonte. All the reports were Pre-Payton and now the story is not consistent.
The Denver GM (forget his name) came out and said “he hope Javonte would be available by mid-season” and then next day or 2 retracted his statement saying “hopes he is available for camp”.
I admit I did not look for the reports to post here but there was FBG article in Jan(?) about it discussing the severity of it.

ETA : https://dknation.draftkings.com/pla...t-timeline-recovery-depth-chart-samaje-perine
Ok. Thanks - thought there was some new, negative report out there.

I will have to disagree with your sir.

Yes to a degree it's coachspeak but I think if you really look at some of the phrasing he used it's extremely encouraging. I'm more positive about Javonte next year then I've been at any point this off-season.

At least Payton didn't say they were going to ease him in and ramp up activities for the second half of the season.

That should be encouraging, but we don't know when these guys are lying. (See: Sean McVay.) The proof will be in the pudding.

Yes to a degree it's coachspeak but I think if you really look at some of the phrasing he used it's extremely encouraging. I'm more positive about Javonte next year then I've been at any point this off-season.
Fair to disagree. But I think you would agree the message is not consistent in "recovery". If the early diagnosis was severe or potential career threatening, and now they are "encouraged that he will return sometime in 2023, whenever that will be".
But since Payton has arrived, there has been fewer clear reports on his status or timeline for return.

Fair to disagree. But I think you would agree the message is not consistent in "recovery". If the early diagnosis was severe or potential career threatening, and now they are "encouraged that he will return sometime in 2023, whenever that will be".
But since Payton has arrived, there has been fewer clear reports on his status or timeline for return.

Payton's comments early in the off-season were not consistent because I think at the time they were less sure. Payton kind of referenced that yesterday.

I don't think the Broncos ever put out any messaging it was career ending or worse then Dobbins. If I"m wrong, and I may be, please let me know. That's was just speculation by people outside the building as far as I know. I personally have thought it was similar to Dobbins, not worse, have hung tight to Javonte in dynasty, but generally speaking avoiding at cost in redrafts. So I feel like I've been properly not rushing into positivity over coach or GM speak. This again is different to me.

I just thought some of the comments this time were a little more pointed and more positive and that this is also backed up by their actions is something I think should be paid more attention to and I'll be specific.

The basic part about they are hopeful he can start training camp not on the PNP report is somewhat standard coach-speak but it's also kind of positive because the discussion right now is not on "if he'll be available week one" it's "if he'll be able to practice when camps open". Payton also explained he's making that comment based on the daily reports he is getting on Williams so it's not like he's just pulling stuff out of air.

I found Payton referring to Javonte as "our starting RB' as a really nice endorsement. May seem like not much and maybe that's the case but he did not coach Javonte, owes him nothing, this regime signed Perine and I think most coaches would have indicated it was more of an open comp at the top RB spot, throw some we'll see how it all plays in camp mumbo jumbo instead of labeling Javonte as "our starter". Again maybe nothing. I am for sure trying to read between the lines and maybe I'm misreading but this is where I'm at with it.

Lastly, and this is my most encouraging part, was part of this response from Payton on why they signed Perine:

"When we signed him (in March), there was still uncertainty (with Williams), and I was taught a long time ago to stack them at that position because it’s a tough position in our league.”

That comment was huge to me and might even answer some of your concerns about the inconsistent earlier messaging I indicated earlier. But the way I read that is in March they truly were uncertain and that is not the case now as that reads to me as that uncertainty is past tense. That is backed up by their actions which did not involve signing any other RB's including an old vet like Latavius who Payton knows and then not addressing RB at all in the draft.

For sure a lot of like I said, trying to read between the lines, but it's the off-season and this is what I do and I"m encouraging by Payton's comments and the teams actions.

Payton's comments early in the off-season were not consistent because I think at the time they were less sure. Payton kind of referenced that yesterday.

I don't think the Broncos ever put out any messaging it was career ending or worse then Dobbins. If I"m wrong, and I may be, please let me know. That's was just speculation by people outside the building as far as I know. I personally have thought it was similar to Dobbins, not worse, have hung tight to Javonte in dynasty, but generally speaking avoiding at cost in redrafts. So I feel like I've been properly not rushing into positivity over coach or GM speak. This again is different to me.

I just thought some of the comments this time were a little more pointed and more positive and that this is also backed up by their actions is something I think should be paid more attention to and I'll be specific.

The basic part about they are hopeful he can start training camp not on the PNP report is somewhat standard coach-speak but it's also kind of positive because the discussion right now is not on "if he'll be available week one" it's "if he'll be able to practice when camps open". Payton also explained he's making that comment based on the daily reports he is getting on Williams so it's not like he's just pulling stuff out of air.

I found Payton referring to Javonte as "our starting RB' as a really nice endorsement. May seem like not much and maybe that's the case but he did not coach Javonte, owes him nothing, this regime signed Perine and I think most coaches would have indicated it was more of an open comp at the top RB spot, throw some we'll see how it all plays in camp mumbo jumbo instead of labeling Javonte as "our starter". Again maybe nothing. I am for sure trying to read between the lines and maybe I'm misreading but this is where I'm at with it.

Lastly, and this is my most encouraging part, was part of this response from Payton on why they signed Perine:

"When we signed him (in March), there was still uncertainty (with Williams), and I was taught a long time ago to stack them at that position because it’s a tough position in our league.”

That comment was huge to me and might even answer some of your concerns about the inconsistent earlier messaging I indicated earlier. But the way I read that is in March they truly were uncertain and that is not the case now as that reads to me as that uncertainty is past tense. That is backed up by their actions which did not involve signing any other RB's including an old vet like Latavius who Payton knows and then not addressing RB at all in the draft.

For sure a lot of like I said, trying to read between the lines, but it's the off-season and this is what I do and I"m encouraging by Payton's comments and the teams actions.
I hope he recovers. I hope he returns to full strength and speed and lights up the field. I like him as a runner. I own ZERO shares.
But from a 2023 competitive perspective, he has issues that should be tempered in his expectations. I am not a full price buyer.

I agree Denver Staff never indicated "career ending" but those were medical & reporter statements that were circulating before the 2022 season was over; when the full extend of his injuries were realized after the surgery (ies?). I cannot find the medical review from last season (October?) indicating the total destruction of his knee and while the surgeons were excellent, the potential of his not returning was a true risk.

For example: October 4, 2022 - FBG report "Javonte Williams went down for the year with an ACL injury and with additional damage that could affect him into the 2023 season."
Feb 22, 2023 = There's also the matter of running back, where Javonte Williams' multiple knee ligament tears could keep him out well into the 2023 season.
Early March, Patton said "RB Javonte Williams is on track to play Week 1". (as per Sigmund Bloom on the FBG News letter March 2)
Then a week later, Patton says "Javonte is no sure thing for Week 1".
The only other news of a slight negative was the reports Kareem Hunt visiting Denver as a backup to Perine; and Hunt remains on the Denver "watch list of FA".

Like J K Dobbins did in 2022?

Just heard on 104.3 the Fan here in Denver that he’s a go for the start of training camp.

Frome Dobbins thread last July:
Dobbins tweeted this Monday

Okay I’m tired of being quiet… come to me for your source @RapSheet because I might not even go on PUP because that’s how good my rehab is going and I’m damn sure going to be ready for week 1

Narrator: "He was NOT ready for week 1."

I'll file a random optimistic Javonte report for 2023 under "believe it when I see it"

Just stating what I heard locally. In no way making predictions.
Unless they had a specifically separate source, I gotta believe The Fan is just putting their own spin on the Payton interview.

Cecil Lammey wrote an article this morning on the topic and wasn't nearly as definitive as "he's a go."

I’ll believe it when I see it, but I do like the positive news about Williams. -C. Lammey

Just stating what I heard locally. In no way making predictions.
Unless they had a specifically separate source, I gotta believe The Fan is just putting their own spin on the Payton interview.

Cecil Lammey wrote an article this morning on the topic and wasn't nearly as definitive as "he's a go."

I’ll believe it when I see it, but I do like the positive news about Williams. -C. Lammey
I have no idea. The two talking heads just made that statement as I was arriving at a meeting and got out of the car. I sat for a moment to hear if there was a source but they never stated one.

Part of me hopes they just put him on PUP from the get go so I can keep that slot open for an extra player at cut downs before week 1.

Rooting for him to hit the field healthy in 2024
Want no part of him in 2023, would not put any stock in these reports right now.
Denver doesn't want to announce they are nowhere close to winning the AFC West

KC and LA seem to have big advantages at several key spots, the Raiders are who they are competing with to avoid the cellar

Broncos coach Sean Payton said Javonte Williams is practicing at OTAs in a "limited capacity."​

Williams participated in a walkthrough, per Nick Kosmider. It's hard to believe that Williams is actually fully healthy at this point, but it's great news for his chances of playing in Week 1 that he's actually dressed out on the field and actively working. We probably won't get a good gauge on his chances of playing in Week 1 until August.
SOURCE: Nick Kosmider on Twitter
May 25, 2023, 2:22 PM ET

Broncos coach Sean Payton said Javonte Williams is practicing at OTAs in a "limited capacity."​

Williams participated in a walkthrough, per Nick Kosmider. It's hard to believe that Williams is actually fully healthy at this point, but it's great news for his chances of playing in Week 1 that he's actually dressed out on the field and actively working. We probably won't get a good gauge on his chances of playing in Week 1 until August.
SOURCE: Nick Kosmider on Twitter
May 25, 2023, 2:22 PM ET
Well, that could describe any number of possibilities.

According to 9News reporter Mike Klis, Javonte participated today in RB drills and 7-on-7 drills.

He was held out of 11-on-11 due to higher potential for inadvertent contact. Ran wind sprints instead.

According to 9News reporter Mike Klis, Javonte participated today in RB drills and 7-on-7 drills.

He was held out of 11-on-11 due to higher potential for inadvertent contact. Ran wind sprints instead.
That's more than Dobbins was doing at this stage last season.

I know the Dobbins thing has people scared, but that could be an overcorrection. I think there is a real chance Javonte is starting week 1. Right now, Williams is going in round 8 as RB37 in the same area as guys like Antonio Gibson and Tyler Allgeier. I like him a lot at his current (very early) ADP.

ETA: Barkley in 2021 might be a more realistic timeline than Dobbins, he was back week 1, but didn't really look himself until week 3/4, then suffered maybe the flukiest injury ever that washed out his season, but that's mostly irrelevant.

That's more than Dobbins was doing at this stage last season.

I know the Dobbins thing has people scared, but that could be an overcorrection. I think there is a real chance Javonte is starting week 1. Right now, Williams is going in round 8 as RB37 in the same area as guys like Antonio Gibson and Tyler Allgeier. I like him a lot at his current (very early) ADP.

ETA: Barkley in 2021 might be a more realistic timeline than Dobbins, he was back week 1, but didn't really look himself until week 3/4, then suffered maybe the flukiest injury ever that washed out his season, but that's mostly irrelevant.
Video below. They showed an additional one during the newscast where he was cutting on it.

If he does anything in 2023 it will be a miracle. Trade for him for 2024, not 2023.
Quantify "do anything," please.
Be an effective fantasy asset.
Yeah, Cm Akers and James Robinson were not very good after their injuries so I can agree with this. There are exceptions but very few. Can anybody name any exceptions in the last few years? Not asking to be sarcastic it's just that I'm at Costco with the wife and also need to finish up the honey do list before vacation so I don't have time to look up the info 🙃

If he does anything in 2023 it will be a miracle. Trade for him for 2024, not 2023.
Unless or until Sean Payton stops referring to him as "our starting running back," or there is some obvious injury setback, all signs point to the Broncos believing Javonte is on track to becoming an effective NFL asset in 2023.

And most effective NFL assets translate into effective fantasy assets, depending on the price paid.

Of course there are still 3+ months of offseason to go, and therefore a significant number of recovery hurdles still to overcome, but it's already a miracle he is participating in OTA's to the extent he has.

Yeah, Cm Akers and James Robinson were not very good after their injuries so I can agree with this. There are exceptions but very few. Can anybody name any exceptions in the last few years? Not asking to be sarcastic it's just that I'm at Costco with the wife and also need to finish up the honey do list before vacation so I don't have time to look up the info 🙃
Achilles injuries are an entirely different thing. Only really 3 injuries truly concern me, Achilles, Multiple concussions in a short period, and neck/spinal.

Users who are viewing this thread