What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (3 Viewers)

Pretty hard to argue with quantitative analysis like that.  :)
The guy I drafted 4 years ago (late 1st or early 2nd), has been a staple of my line-up for 3 years.  The guy 3 years ago?  A staple for all 3.  2 years ago? 1+ (and widely considered a top 5 overall player today) and last year's guy gave me 3/4 of a season.  Of a possible 10 productive seasons, I've already got 8.  And all 4 will probably be in my opening day line-up.  Five years ago I drafted David Wilson (5th or 6th overall) and his career was cut short due to injury.  I still think the pick and the situation was solid.   While I know guys can bust (I've had my share of those), the expectation of one good season from a player (career total) is absurd to me.

Just because you go through a mathematical exercise, doesn't mean the conclusions are valid.

The guy I drafted 4 years ago (late 1st or early 2nd), has been a staple of my line-up for 3 years.  The guy 3 years ago?  A staple for all 3.  2 years ago? 1+ (and widely considered a top 5 overall player today) and last year's guy gave me 3/4 of a season.  Of a possible 10 productive seasons, I've already got 8.  And all 4 will probably be in my opening day line-up.  Five years ago I drafted David Wilson (5th or 6th overall) and his career was cut short due to injury.  I still think the pick and the situation was solid.   While I know guys can bust (I've had my share of those), the expectation of one good season from a player (career total) is absurd to me.

Just because you go through a mathematical exercise, doesn't mean the conclusions are valid.
Right, add science to this point as well. Evolution is bunk. ?

Whoa! Where can I get your autograph!

Anecdotal examples of one league does not change the history of player performance. If you can consistently beat the market then great (that is kind of the point of all of this). That doesn't change what the market is or how it has performed.

Anecdotal examples of one league does not change the history of player performance. If you can consistently beat the market then great (that is kind of the point of all of this). That doesn't change what the market is or how it has performed.

The history of past player performance is also no guarantee of future performance, most especially when speaking to an individual.

I believe in Foreman over Hunt and Kamara, but it is close and wouldn't mind either.
I've been reading, tweaking my board, and reading some more...and I can't see this.  Mind giving me your pov?  It's idp, but I don't have any backs beyond Hunt/Kamara in 1st or 2nd round consideration.

MAC_32 said:
I've been reading, tweaking my board, and reading some more...and I can't see this.  Mind giving me your pov?  It's idp, but I don't have any backs beyond Hunt/Kamara in 1st or 2nd round consideration.
I hate Kamara's situation and it seems that teams see him as a COP back only.  When I see Foreman run I guess I just like big backs that have burst, good feet and vision. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good discussion in this thread. 

I don't know how to feel about him going to KC. They traded up for him which is good and Andy has a decent track record for fantasy relevant RBs. Maybe the Chiefs are concerned with Ware's concussion/performance and feel Hunt can step into that role. 

On the other side, maybe Ware was just dinged up and Hunt only gets spell duties. It's not like Ware is that old at 25. And even if Hunt does get the job, how much of the work does he get? Can we trust Reid not to "forget" about him like he did with Charles (and Kelce)? 

And then the counter to that might be that since Reid didn't draft Charles, maybe he didn't feel that attached to him. Maybe Reid is thinking Hunt will be his new Westbrook. And when you look at them (Westbrook and Hunt) on paper, it's not that far off. Maybe Reid feeds Hunt, just because it's his guy and he wants to prove a point. 

Westbrook (Villanova):

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 5083
Weight: 200
40 Yrd Dash: 4.58
20 Yrd Dash: 2.63
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 
3-Cone Drill: 7.09

Hunt (Toledo):

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 5104
Weight: 216
40 Yrd Dash: 4.62
20 Yrd Dash: 2.66 (PD)
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58 (PD)

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.53 (PD)
3-Cone Drill: 7.22 (PD)

Andy Reid has been coaching for a long time.

Here is how the RB rushing attempts and targets have been distributed to RB players with Reid

1999 Duce Staley 325 rushing attempts 66 targets 41 receptions next RB 12 rushing attempts
2000 Duce Staley 79 rushing attempts 33 targets 24 receptions  (5 games) Darnell Autry 112ra 37tgt 24 rec Brian Mitchell 25ra 21tgt 13rec
2001 Duce Staley 166 rushing attempts 91 targets 63 receptions Corell Buckhalter 129ra 21tgt 13rec 
2002 Duce Staley 269 rushing attempts 69 targets 51 receptions Dorsey Levens 75ra 28tgt 19rec Brian Westbrook 46ra 13tgt 9rec
2003 Duce Staley 96 rushing attempts 47 targets 36 receptions (starts 4 games 28 years old) Correl Buckhalter 126ra 14tgt 10rec (starts 5 games) Brian Westbrook 117ra 48tgt 37rec (starts 8 games)

2004 Brian Westbrook 177 rushing attempts 87 targets 73 receptions (13 games) Dorsey Levens 94ra 14tgt 9rec
2005 Brian Westbrook 156 rushing attempts 96 targets 61 receptions (12 games) Ryan Moats 55ra 6tgt 4rec (7 games 1 start) Lamar Gordon 54ra (4 starts) 17tgt 11rec
2006 Brian Westbrook 240 rushing attempts 105 targets 77 receptions (15 games) Correll Buckhalter 83ra 28tgt 24rec (1 start)
2007 Brian Westbrook 278 rushing attempts 118 targets 90 receptions (15 games 28 years old) Correll Buckhalter 62ra 21tgt 12rec
2008 Brian Westbrook 233 rushing attempts 74 targets 54 receptions (14 games 29 years old) Correll Buckhalter 76ra 32tgt 25rec
2009 Brian Westbrook 61 rushing attempts 34 targets 25 receptions (8 games 30 years old) LeSean McCoy 155ra 55tgt 40rec (4 starts) Leonard Weaver 70ra 26tgt 15rec (8 starts)

2010 LeSean McCoy 207 rushing attemts 91 targets 78 receptions (15 games) Four other RB who get 40 or less opportunities
2011 LeSean McCoy 273 rushing attempts 69 targets 48 receptions (15 games) Ronnie Brown 42ra 2tgt Dion Lewis 23ra 1tgt 1rec
2012 LeSean McCoy 200 rushing attempts 67 targets 54 receptions (12 games) Bryce Brown 115ra 19tgt 13rec Dion Lewis 13ra 2tgt 2rec

2013 Jamaal Charles 259 rushing attempts 104 targets 70 receptions (15 games) Knile Davis 70ra 15tgt 11rec
2014 Jamaal Charles 206 rushing attempts 59 targets 4 receptions (15 games 28 years old) Knile Davis 134ra 25tgt 16rec
2015 Charcandrick West 160 rushing attempts 34 targets 20 receptions (15 games 9 starts) Spencer Ware 72ra 6tgt 6 rec Jamaal Charles 71ra 29tgt 21rec (5 games)
2016 Spencer Ware 214 rushing attempts 42 targets 33 receptions (14 games 14 starts) Charcandrick West 88ra 43tgt 28rec(15 games 2 starts)

While there have been some years where RB time share, for the most part Reid has a featured RB who is involved in the passing game a lot, unless that player gets injured. There is also a pretty strong trend of sticking with his starter as long as they are playing well enough.

There is some overlap of featured RB being drafted when the starter turns 28 years or older, from Staley to Westbrook (who only had 46 rushing attempts in his rookie year 2002) then Westbrook to McCoy happening sooner due to Westbrook being injured McCoy being very good.

Spencer Ware outplayed Charcandrick West and was their primary RB last season, looking at the history of this I think Reid shows a preference for a style of RB like Westbrook, McCoy, Lewis, Charles, West.

Spencer Ware may be more similar to Duce Staley, Buckhalter, Dorsey Levens, Ronnie Brown,Knile Davis. Ware is the incumbent starter however and Reid hasn't rushed his rookie RB into the lineup their first year unless there was an injury to the starter.

The starting RB for Reid averages 76 targets/season over this time frame (with some pro rating for missed games)

steelers1080 said:
So what you're saying is that Kareem Hunt will be the starter by week 3?
I made a point to show that Reid does not use a RBBC much. That is more a product of players being injured or the starters not being good enough to distance themselves from the competition. Also to show that Reid does have a preference for a style of RB that fits the profile of Hunt or West more than it does Ware. But also pointing out that Duce Staley was a long term starter for Reid early on with the Eagles and perhaps Ware is more similar to him than Hunt or West are.

It could go either way, but I see one of them winning the majority share at some point this season, and the one that does may be able to hold the job long term. I would not expect this to be settled as early as week 3 of the regular season, I think it will take longer than that before it is, if it is.

Reids use of RB was also showa that he will stick with his starter for several seasons once one has established themselves. Even if that starter misses a year due to injury during that time. Which is something worth considering and related to the discussion with DropKick about how long a starter might be able to maintain that position with Reid. A pretty long time compared to a lot of coaches imo. So if Ware or Hunt does win this job, it might be theirs for a few years ahead. Longer term potential for Hunt if he does than for Ware, as Reid has replaced starting RB once they get a bit older. 28 in the case of Duce Staley who went to the Steelers as their starter for a year at age 29. Westbrook at age 30 when they drafted McCoy. Westbrook still started and McCoy didn't get his chance until Westbrook was injured.

Ware is the incumbent but Hunt is the RB. hand picked by them. I see it as a wide open competition, but Hunt fits the profile of a RB that Reid has shown more of a preference for.

Spencer Ware is under contract with the Chiefs until 2019 but also an easy cut for some cap savings in 2018 if he is not part of their long term plans according to sportracI

If neither RB really proves themselves then they could pursue another RB in 2018. I think Hunt is good enough to prove himself to Reid. I am less sure he is good enough to send Ware to the bench though.

^^^ that's a link for Terrance West.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/spencer-ware-12476/
Ware (and West both) signed a 2 year $3.6M extension.  They are only $2M cap numbers next year if kept and $333,000 dead money, so there's very little reason to cut them.  I would think a contender would be happy to pay that to a veteran that knows their system that well and has proven capable when called upon.

I do like Hunt as an immediate impact guy and have gotten him at 17 and 13 in two recent IDP drafts.

^^^ that's a link for Terrance West.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/spencer-ware-12476/
Ware (and West both) signed a 2 year $3.6M extension.  They are only $2M cap numbers next year if kept and $333,000 dead money, so there's very little reason to cut them.  I would think a contender would be happy to pay that to a veteran that knows their system that well and has proven capable when called upon.

I do like Hunt as an immediate impact guy and have gotten him at 17 and 13 in two recent IDP drafts.
My bad. I had both open at the same time linked wrong. Fixed it.

I agree not much reason to get rid of Ware next year even if Hunt does win the start.

I'm not sure how the author above was able to not know something about Kareem Hunt until recently. Always nice to hear a persons first impressions of a player I think though. The discovery period. Makes for a fun read when those discoveries are positive.

After reading this thread (and owning Charles the last few years I played), I can only think of how many times Charles was the CLEAR best option on that team and then scratching my head at how on Earth Charles would come up MIA 3-4 games a year.  

So that leads me to think that for a rookie RB to come in and truly take over the job, he has to be so incredibly better than the incumbents that "even Andy Reid couldn't overlook this".  Now I say that slowly in my head. Even.Andy.Reid.could.NOT.overlook.this.  LOL  

I don't know what Hunt will be but if I were playing FF I think I would have to let this be somebody else's frustration. It's bound to be.  

After reading this thread (and owning Charles the last few years I played), I can only think of how many times Charles was the CLEAR best option on that team and then scratching my head at how on Earth Charles would come up MIA 3-4 games a year.  

So that leads me to think that for a rookie RB to come in and truly take over the job, he has to be so incredibly better than the incumbents that "even Andy Reid couldn't overlook this".  Now I say that slowly in my head. Even.Andy.Reid.could.NOT.overlook.this.  LOL  

I don't know what Hunt will be but if I were playing FF I think I would have to let this be somebody else's frustration. It's bound to be.  
Agreed. I owned Ware last season who after 4 games looked like a RB1 for the rest of his career. Then he got concussed and then Andy Reided.

Reid was not the HC of the Chiefs during the early part of Charles' career. Todd Haley was the one giving carries to a washed up Thomas Jones over Charles. Reid has only been in KC for three seasons.

My bad, two links were 8 days apart so I assumed they were different games, must have been a bye week there or something.  Still 4 different ones, and that was with just 5 minutes on Google.  As a Spence Ware owner last year (that's been fixed) I recall the same concerns last year.  I got mocked by the brainless for such blasphemy yet here we are with yet another bite at that apple. 

I know I'll get scorched by some for saying this, but I could see some very Westbrook-like usage and seasons out of Hunt.  He brings a very similar type of game to the table (yes, I know Westbrook was faster and he was smaller even though the BMIs are similar, as are the 10yd times and many other measureables.  Oddly both 3rd rounders too - Hunt was RB6 in the draft, Westbrook RB7).

A strong mix of rushes/receptions that won't make him a rushing leader but will have him amassing a lot of ypg by getting enough touches.  It's why I think Reid just would not give up on West - West brought a dimension to the field that Reid loves and that Ware just doesn't have.  And I believe that's why KC traded up to get Hunt. 

Ok I have gotten him at 13, 17, and 19, so he can blow up any time so I can sell absurdly high on the wave of hyperbole before it comes crashing down in full Andy Reid fashion.

Hankmoody said:
Ok I have gotten him at 13, 17, and 19, so he can blow up any time so I can sell absurdly high on the wave of hyperbole before it comes crashing down in full Andy Reid fashion.
He went at 1.7 in my league so I would say you got him at a good price! That said, I don't trust Andy Reid at all.

That said, I don't trust Andy Reid at all.
Andy Reid RB rankings, ffppg per our league scoring (RBs get 0.5 ppr and 0.15 ppc)

2002 RB15

2003 RB16

2004 RB9

2005 RB12

2006 RB4

2007 RB1

2008 RB4

2009 RB38

2010 RB8

2011 RB2

2012 RB9

2013 RB1

2014 RB7

2015 RB2 (JC b4 getting hurt)

2016 RB17 (Spencer Ware no less)

I'm not getting questioning Reid's ability to field a strong FF RB.  That a player as limited as Ware was able to be a solid FF RB2 is pretty sound IMO.  Throw out 2009 as an outlier and that's a pretty good list.

Andy Reid RB rankings, ffppg per our league scoring (RBs get 0.5 ppr and 0.15 ppc)

2002 RB15

2003 RB16

2004 RB9

2005 RB12

2006 RB4

2007 RB1

2008 RB4

2009 RB38

2010 RB8

2011 RB2

2012 RB9

2013 RB1

2014 RB7

I'm not getting questioning Reid's ability to field a strong FF RB.  That a player as limited as Ware was able to be a solid FF RB2 is pretty sound IMO.  Throw out 2009 as an outlier and that's a pretty good list.
Nice post. Thanks for digging up and compiling all the numbers. It seems like Reid gets Top 10 production from his lead back. Which also supports @Biabreakable 's post from earlier. The potential opportunity is there, not we just have to figure out if Hunt is able to dethrone Ware. 

Nice post. Thanks for digging up and compiling all the numbers. It seems like Reid gets Top 10 production from his lead back. Which also supports @Biabreakable 's post from earlier. The potential opportunity is there, not we just have to figure out if Hunt is able to dethrone Ware. 

Agreed.  And we won't know until the season gets going.  But you look for clues:  Reid refusing to give up on West despite Ware outperforming him, Ware's position on the list above being out of Reid's character for RB performance, Ware's slide at the end of last season, and Reid trading up for both QB and RB to get the guys he wants at those spots.

You just can't help but think that Reid is looking to supplant Ware, which would indicate to me that Hunt is going to get every chance to move into the RB1 slot.  Now it's on Hunt to get it done.

So far I've watched his games against BYU, W.Mich and the senior bowl.

Don't waste your time with the BYU game. The OL is complete trash. There's some plays where it seems like there's a mutiny against the QB and the OL isn't blocking on purpose. The Senior Bowl was nice but it can't be taken too seriously. The Western Michigan game is good. Hunt gets dinged in his NFL.com Draft Profile for not finishing with authority, which is true, but he's not going down easy either. He's still fighting for yards. Lots of NFL backs end runs the same Hunt does though, the roll and fall. 

My big knocks on Hunt are his pass protection (it's pretty bad) and his transition to NFL competition. I think some of his power and elusiveness is over exaggerated due a the low level of competition. 

Traded up from 11 to take him at 8 (the West & Ware owner had the 9 and traded down after I selected Hunt.) Here's hoping he's everything Reid was looking for when Reid traded up for him.

Traded up from 11 to take him at 8 (the West & Ware owner had the 9 and traded down after I selected Hunt.) Here's hoping he's everything Reid was looking for when Reid traded up for him.
good move. Just curious, what did it cost you move up?

A lot of Hunt's value pre-FF drafts will be tied up in the format you are in....I would be more intrigued by him in a dynasty or a decent sized keeper league...in redraft I won't be in any rush to get him unless he really flashes in some pre-season games...Rookie RB is the one area I put a lot of stock in their pre-season performance...sometimes you can really tell a kid is legit or not as soon as you see a few carries...it has been a very long time but I remember seeing Edgerrin James in a pre-season game and he looked electric...there was no doubt he was the real deal as soon as you saw him...

2002 RB15

2003 RB16

2004 RB9

2005 RB12

2006 RB4

2007 RB1

2008 RB4

2009 RB38

2010 RB8

2011 RB2

2012 RB9

2013 RB1

2014 RB7

It feels sonewhat absurd to attribute this to Reid when those rbs were Brian Westbrook, LeSean mccoy, and Jamaal Charles. But yeah, keep finding reasons to overdraft a marginal talent and inflate his adp 

It feels sonewhat absurd to attribute this to Reid when those rbs were Brian Westbrook, LeSean mccoy, and Jamaal Charles. But yeah, keep finding reasons to overdraft a marginal talent and inflate his adp 
Brian Westbrook - drafted in 3rd round, LeSean McCoy - drafted in 2nd round, Jamaal Charles, drafted in 3rd round. Kareem Hunt - 3rd round. 

I'm just saying.

Brian Westbrook - drafted in 3rd round, LeSean McCoy - drafted in 2nd round, Jamaal Charles, drafted in 3rd round. Kareem Hunt - 3rd round. 

I'm just saying.
Although they were not drafted by Reid, he inherited them when he took over the head coaching job in Philly: Duce Staley - 3rd round pick, Correll Buckhalter - 4th round pick.

Sounds to me like he knows how to find good RBs.  None of those guys were 1st rounders.  You're making a better case for Hunt.

Nobody should be saying hunt is a lock to be a top 10 back, but what makes you call him a marginal talent?  Lesser competition sure, but the kid has good talent. 

Nobody should be saying hunt is a lock to be a top 10 back, but what makes you call him a marginal talent?  Lesser competition sure, but the kid has good talent. 
"Marginal talent" is generous given his athletic profile

Although they were not drafted by Reid, he inherited them when he took over the head coaching job in Philly: Duce Staley - 3rd round pick, Correll Buckhalter - 4th round pick.
Staley and Buckhalter support the idea that marginal talents, even in Reid's system, aren't highly productive

Staley and Buckhalter support the idea that marginal talents, even in Reid's system, aren't highly productive
Well now I know you are either trolling or horribly uninformed. Both those guys were highly productive when they weren't dealing with Lisfranc's or torn ACL's.

Ok then, three 1500 yard (ok, one was 1497) seasons isn't highly productive.  Got it. 

Gotta respect your attempts to drive his price down. I'm sitting at 1.11 and would like him to fall to me. 

Well now I know you are either trolling or horribly uninformed. Both those guys were highly productive when they weren't dealing with Lisfranc's or torn ACL's.
Buckhalter's best season: 642 rush yards, 31 catches, 24 reception yards, 1 td

Duce had 3 good (likely top 10 PPR seasons at the time) seasons only. During those 3 he averaged under 4.0 ypc

Which year of Buckhalter would you classify as highly productive?

Buckhalter's best season: 642 rush yards, 31 catches, 24 reception yards, 1 td

Duce had 3 good (likely top 10 PPR seasons at the time) seasons only. During those 3 he averaged under 4.0 ypc

Which year of Buckhalter would you classify as highly productive?
Buck wasn't all that great, agreed. He wasn't the starter most of the time. 

I'd be somewhat content if hunt only has three top 10 seasons. 

So far I've watched his games against BYU, W.Mich and the senior bowl.

Don't waste your time with the BYU game. The OL is complete trash. There's some plays where it seems like there's a mutiny against the QB and the OL isn't blocking on purpose. The Senior Bowl was nice but it can't be taken too seriously. The Western Michigan game is good. Hunt gets dinged in his NFL.com Draft Profile for not finishing with authority, which is true, but he's not going down easy either. He's still fighting for yards. Lots of NFL backs end runs the same Hunt does though, the roll and fall. 

My big knocks on Hunt are his pass protection (it's pretty bad) and his transition to NFL competition. I think some of his power and elusiveness is over exaggerated due a the low level of competition. 
I learned my lesson the hard way in 2007 when I drafted the #5 RB taken in the NFL draft, Lorenzo Booker -MIA, round 3.  Dynamite rusher, good receiver, but really had no interest in blocking.  Pass Pro in the NFL this is a huge thing... Ware offers good PP- Hunt (maybe) not so much.  Also agree with the MAC comp. level as a notch below. Lastly the 'highlights' for the West Michigan game were a little skewed- WMU was running away with the game and playing to not give up a big-play for much of the second half- they were letting Toledo have the 10 yard runs.

Okay, given your posts and how invested you are given the number of responses lately, I am interpretting this as you stating there is absolutely no chance that Hunt is successful.  Is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread