What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (5 Viewers)

If that's the market value then yes by all means.  But is that really the market value?  We're people really giving up 1st round WR assets for guys like you mentioned above?Sell high sounds nice in theory but I doubt people will be giving up that much after one week...I could be wrong though. 

To me Gillislee is the sell high from last night.  His snap count was half of James White and I can't imagine too many games where Brady has 0 TD's and the Patriots have that many goal line plunges.
I agree with this.  Gillislee seems like the perfect sell high candidate.  Hunt feels more like you just hit a grand slam.  I remember last year when Howard started off hot and the usual guys were asking about selling high again.

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade him for a big haul if someone offered, but people seem to talk as if this is some kind of fluke. In Hunt we have:

* a no-doubt, locked-in No. 1 RB on his team

* a guy who was chosen in the 3rd round, not some UDFA

* hand-picked by a coach who has a proven track record of success with RBs

* on a team with a proven track record of featuring its RB moreso than most teams in the league in the pass-happy NFL

* behind one of the better run-blocking OLs in the league

* a guy who in college never fumbled, didn't rack up a history of injuries, and didn't beat his girlfriend/wife which is a nice bonus

I simply don't see anything not to like. Every checkbox is ticked, everything you want in a productive fantasy RB is there.
Chiefs also traded up to get him in the 3rd round.

Serious question. If you're all in on hunt after that impressive stat line are you also all in on Alex smith? 350+ yards and 4 TDs is just as if not more impressive.

Considering Hunt's ~40 points are included in his week one lineup, it's not a move to mock. It's smart strategy.  For one, starting with 40 is likely going to win them this week. For another, he won't be facing Hunt and those 40 points this week. 

Whem I played in WCOFF, Big Ben was hurt & Batch put up a monster game. And he was taken in the 5th or 6th round. A backup QB who only started that one game. But in a truncated season, starting with guaranteed points for a great advantage to win week one is a smart play. 

Hunt at 1.03 isn't laughable given the circumstances. I'm tempted to do the same in my draft on Saturday. 

Karlos Williams
Spencer Ware
Matt Jones

Just off the top of my head, guys that less than 12 months ago were red hot trade values.  I've always said I will sell anyone at full market value because their value can only go down.  If someone offers me AJG or Evans for Hunt I will break a finger getting to the accept button.
AJG was the top receiver in football last year before missing the rest of the season with injury. 

So uh, yeah. 

There is one team where I have Hunt and would consider trading him but it will all depend on Elliott.  I have David Johnson and Elliott as my starting RBs with Hunt as a flex or bench player.  If Elliott can play all year then it makes sense to try and trade him.
That circumstance makes sense. 

I went WR-heavy and ended up with Cook, Hunt & Montgomery as my top 3 RBs (White/Perkins/Vereen) 

And with a flex position to cover along with 3 WR/2RB, Hunt could be 60% of last night all year and I still need him. 

Now; if by some miracle Cook & Montgomery are as good, maybe I deal one. 

More likely I wait until White has a huge game and sell him high, keeping my core trio of RBs.

Considering Hunt's ~40 points are included in his week one lineup, it's not a move to mock. It's smart strategy.  For one, starting with 40 is likely going to win them this week. For another, he won't be facing Hunt and those 40 points this week. 

Whem I played in WCOFF, Big Ben was hurt & Batch put up a monster game. And he was taken in the 5th or 6th round. A backup QB who only started that one game. But in a truncated season, starting with guaranteed points for a great advantage to win week one is a smart play. 

Hunt at 1.03 isn't laughable given the circumstances. I'm tempted to do the same in my draft on Saturday. 
Considering DJ and Bell are likely gone your alternative at RB doesn't look that great. Hunt is as promising as the next guy. McCoy is on a worse offense than last year, Murray and Gordon are likely to be fantasy busts (all IMO). Ajayi or Howard don't warrant that kind of consideration. So at RB Hunt is just as likely to be there in the top 5 as any of those other names. Maybe more so given the success KC has had in their backfield in recent years.

Now, you're taking him over some pretty amazing stud WRs... Brown, OBJ, Evans, even Green... I am not so sure I would go that far, but if you are dead set on having a RB/difference maker round 1 of your draft and you pick 3-5, I think you have to consider Hunt. Me... if I had 1.07 I'm likely taking Hunt. 1.03-1.06 I'm taking a WR.

Passing on 2.01 seems like a mistake in my case, but at the time it seemed like such a ridiculous reach. Win some you lose some. He could have had a terrible night and I'd be a fool. He can still have a terrible season. No one knows. Which is why selling high is an option for some folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering DJ and Bell are likely gone your alternative at RB doesn't look that great. Hunt is as promising as the next guy. McCoy is on a worse offense than last year, Murray and Gordon are likely to be fantasy busts (all IMO). Ajayi or Howard don't warrant that kind of consideration. So at RB Hunt is just as likely to be there in the top 5 as any of those other names. Maybe more so given the success KC has had in their backfield in recent years.

Now, you're taking him over some pretty amazing stud WRs... Brown, OBJ, Evans, even Green... I am not so sure I would go that far, but if you are dead set on having a RB/difference maker round 1 of your draft and you pick 3-5, I think you have to consider Hunt. Me... if I had 1.07 I'm likely taking Hunt. 1.03-1.06 I'm taking a WR.

Passing on 2.01 seems like a mistake in my case, but at the time it seemed like such a ridiculous reach. Win some you lose some. He could have had a terrible night and I'd be a fool. He can still have a terrible season. No one knows. Which is why selling high is an option for some folks.
To me the difference is the guaranteed points.

Take Mike Evans and his guaranteed 0 points? That's a tough sell.

or take Hunt & his guaranteed 40-60 (depending on scoring)

its awfully hard to pass up that many guaranteed week 1 points. 

Let say you take Antionio Brown. He puts up a 7/110/1 line week 1.  24 points. But that's a projection, where Hunt's points are money in the bank. 

Hard to pass up a lock. And as others have pointed out, Hunt passes the eye test, hasnthe pedigree, the team moved up to get him, and the OL is legit. 

Feature backs are rare in today's NFL. I could imagine "sell high" if this were 2003 and 20 teams had a feature back. But simply in usage Hunt warrants a 1st round pick, especially when the points are included in week 1.

I'm not announcing him ROY, or HOF or any other exaggerated projection by the apparent "I missed Hunt in my draft" crowd.  I'm calling it like I see it: an Andy Reid feature back.  Top 5 is certainly possible. 

And not all rookie RBs hit the wall. Some win people fantasy championships. 

Congrats hunt owners. You are lucky Tom Coughlin isn't the HC. David Wilson is cursing Coughlin somewhere in the world right now..

To me the difference is the guaranteed points.

Take Mike Wvans and his guaranteed 0 points? That's a tough sell.

or take Hunt & his guaranteed 40-60 (depending on scoring)

its awfully hard to pass up that many guaranteed week 1 points. 

Let say you take Antionio Brown. He puts up a 7/110/1 line week 1.  24 points. But that's a projection, where Hunt's points are money in the bank. 

Hard to pass up a lock. And as others have pointed out, Hunt passes the eye test, hasnthe pedigree, the team moved up to get him, and the OL is legit. 

Feature backs are rare in today's NFL. I could imagine "sell high" if this were 2003 and 20 teams had a feature back. But simply in usage Hunt warrants a 1st round pick, especially when the points are included in week 1.

I'm not announcing him ROY, or HOF or any other exaggerated projection by the apparent "I missed Hunt in my draft" crowd.  I'm calling it like I see it: an Andy Reid feature back.  Top 5 is certainly possible. 

And not all rookie RBs hit the wall. Some win people fantasy championships. 
Forrest through the trees I guess... Week 1 doesn't mean that much to me. I went 1-3 to start last season with Bell and Brady out. I went on to finish 8-5 (3rd seed) and easily won the championship vs the 1 seed... My playoff point differential was 473.66 to 275.42.

The guy who started the regular season 6-0 lost to me round 2 and beat the guy in the 3rd place game who started the season 5-0... (2 and 4 seeds)

I'd rather take the player I know is more likely to get me points weeks 13-16 than week 1.

Featured back, yes
KC's has a history of good fantasy backs, yes
Had some great activity in the passing game, yes
Unknown if he can keep it up, yes
Do OBJ, AB, Evans have a proven history, yes.

Just how I draft... more conservative and minimizing my risk (I actually won the "least risk drafted" at my draft, however that's figured out). Not saying it's right or wrong, just explaining my perspective. Has worked out for me 5 of the last 5 seasons, so I'll keep it up

Forrest through the trees I guess... Week 1 doesn't mean that much to me. I went 1-3 to start last season with Bell and Brady out. I went on to finish 8-5 (3rd seed) and easily won the championship... My playoff point differential was 473.66 to 275.42.

The guy who started the regular season 6-0 lost to me round 2 and beat the guy in the 3rd place game who started the season 5-0...

I'd rather take the player I know is more likely to get me points weeks 13-16 than week 1.

Featured back, yes
KC's has a history of good fantasy backs, yes
Had some great activity in the passing game, yes
Unknown if he can keep it up, yes
Does OBJ, AB, Evans have a better history, yes.

Just how I draft... more conservative and minimizing my risk (I actually won the "least risk drafted" at my draft, however that's figured out). Not saying it's right or wrong, just explaining my perspective. 
Im referring to the big money leagues.

in that format there's typically a 10 game "regular" season then all teams compete in a massive points based stretch.

so it could mean 1/10 of your season. 

Those guaranteed points look pretty good eh? 

Mans as mentioned, you elimate the possibility of facing team Hunt week one. I know my opponent is crushed this week - he had Brady/Santos/Hogan & with our yardage bonuses Hunt Tripled their collective production (60.6 to 22.1) 

just food for thought. 

Who were people getting in return for Ware last year?  Ware was still a worth while starting RB, not always an RB1 but still startable.
This is a good question.

An even better question would be, what kind of offers are people getting/taking for Hunt???
We've seen a lot of "if you can get ____ I'd do it." But no real concrete offers that I've seen. For all we know Hunt's value is to the point where it would make more sense to keep him

Im referring to the big money leagues.

in that format there's typically a 10 game "regular" season then all teams compete in a massive points based stretch.

so it could mean 1/10 of your season. 

Those guaranteed points look pretty good eh? 

Mans as mentioned, you elimate the possibility of facing team Hunt week one. I know my opponent is crushed this week - he had Brady/Santos/Hogan & with our yardage bonuses Hunt Tripled their collective production (60.6 to 22.1) 

just food for thought. 
Yeah, it's all perspective on what kind of league/settings. That's one thing missed in many posts here. From "what round is ____ going in" (RB# would make more sense) to even this discussion. Everyone's league is different. It'd be nice if people explained better in their posts.

If that's the market value then yes by all means.  But is that really the market value?  We're people really giving up 1st round WR assets for guys like you mentioned above?Sell high sounds nice in theory but I doubt people will be giving up that much after one week...I could be wrong though. 

To me Gillislee is the sell high from last night.  His snap count was half of James White and I can't imagine too many games where Brady has 0 TD's and the Patriots have that many goal line plunges.
People are talking about using the 1.01 on him this weekend.  Perhaps that's more about getting the week 1 scoring locked in, but if not I'll be looking into it.

This is a good question.

An even better question would be, what kind of offers are people getting/taking for Hunt???
We've seen a lot of "if you can get ____ I'd do it." But no real concrete offers that I've seen. For all we know Hunt's value is to the point where it would make more sense to keep him
I know I wouldn't trade Hunt right now unless I was getting a top 6 WR.  I usually draft WR heavy so it's not a big need on most teams where Hunt is like finding gold for me.

This is a good question.

Also team dependant of course. If Hunt is your 4th or 5th RB behind 3 solid guys, maybe sell high.

for me he's my RB3 behind a couple of shaky dudes in Cook/Ty, so I'm a hold. 

Who were people getting in return for Ware last year?  Ware was still a worth while starting RB, not always an RB1 but still startable.
Ware went for a solid future first round pick the week of his 1 week injury absence in my dynasty league last year.  Could have gone for more immediately after week 1.  Probably much more immediately following week 7. 

Ware went for a solid future first round pick the week of his 1 week injury absence in my dynasty league last year.  Could have gone for more immediately after week 1.  Probably much more immediately following week 7. 
Draft picks don't mean much to me.  I'm only in one dynasty league and I play to win this year, not next year.  That first round draft pick doesn't mean as much to me as it does for some.

Also team dependant of course. If Hunt is your 4th or 5th RB behind 3 solid guys, maybe sell high.

for me he's my RB3 behind a couple of shaky dudes in Cook/Ty, so I'm a hold. 
Agree but who are the solid RB's this year?  I think the list stops in the 10-12 range with a lot of question marks after that.  I think most people have a RB situation similar to yours.

If you were to start a brand new dynasty league today, where do you take this guy?  Of course still after DJ, Bell and Zeke, and 5-6 WRs for sure - but then what?  Is he, right now, somewhere around dynasty player #10-15?

I'd be right along with you here in his value
The trouble of course is that like here, many of those owners holding top 6 WRs are likely also skeptical of Hunt for he various reasons laid out.

Sounds strange maybe but if Hunt has 100+ APY and 1 TD next week with 3 catches he'll be worth even more. 

IMO people will want to see he's more than a 1-game wonder. 

Depending on who's picks they are, I would have too.  If I knew both were top 5, that would be tough to decline.
IMO you can only build for so long. 

I don't play dynasty any more, but when I did I fell into the trap of constantly rebuilding - trading away talent for future picks. I never won because I was always selling high on players to get the picks to build that true dynasty roster that would carry me for years. 

It was all fool's gold.

i think Hunt is the truth. He's as good a dynasty player as anything you could draft next year and the year after that, and you get to enjoy his production this year.

so for me I wouldn't trade him unless my dynasty team was the absolute suck and had none chance to win now.

If I had even a small window to win a championship I'd tab Hunt my 2018 keeper and enjoy the ride. In early drafts he was taken as Ware's handcuff, so you can keep him for what, a 9th round pick! No brainer. 

How much is 1/14 of your regular season worth? 

The year I played in the WCOFF, Charlie Batch stepped in for Big Ben & put up a monster game on Thurs night. 

He was taken in the 4th and people mocked the dude. He ended up winning the 1st week easily and went on to win our league. Not sure how he did in the finals.

but a 40-60 point game(depending on your scoring) is a 1st class ticket to a week 1 win.

that said I'd still take David Johnson.
Yeah, the FFPC main event drafts will be quite interesting this weekend with the way last nights game played out.  Really regretting sitting out this year now.  Have played the last 5 years and always amazed how Thursdays game effects players who had a big game (or a poor one).  I try not to overreact to a big game, but always pray the guy I'm playing the first week does the same.  Will be tough to beat the Hunt owner this week.............

Redraft PPR draft tomorrow...how high would you draft him?  RB10?  RB5?
Still behind Johnson, Bell and Freeman for me (Freeman is close), but after that, hard to criticize anyone taking him 4th.  Nothing about that game seemed flukish to me.  Long TD reception, but that just showed is big play ability.

If I knew Elliott wouldn't miss time this year, I would take him before Hunt as well.

My view is that Johnson and Bell are quite a bit ahead of everyone else and then you have a fairly large group of more closely grouped guys at a position that turns over rather quickly.  I could certainly see starting to look at him after the big 2 RB but frankly if I'm not getting Johnson or Bell I would just as soon draft other things and pick later from this group. I suppose that might mean I wouldn't get Hunt in a lot of startup dynasty drafts today but I would be OK with waiting and getting someone more in the RB10-15 range.

Still behind Johnson, Bell and Freeman for me (Freeman is close), but after that, hard to criticize anyone taking him 4th.  Nothing about that game seemed flukish to me.  Long TD reception, but that just showed is big play ability.

If I knew Elliott wouldn't miss time this year, I would take him before Hunt as well.
I'll agree that you can't really criticize someone for drafting Hunt as 4th RB off the board after last night, but respectfully disagree about the bolded.  He will be a solid RB for sure, but his long TD was a perfect storm of him having a slow defender beat by a step and Alex Smith throwing an absolutely perfect pass in stride.  I wouldn't expect too many long plays like that from Hunt.  I don't believe long speed is a strength of his, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.  He also had a long run down the sideline late in the 4th, but I'm pretty sure the Patriots had given up at that point.  I'd feel comfortable drafting him in the top 12 for sure.  Not so sure about top 4 just yet.

Redraft PPR draft tomorrow...how high would you draft him?  RB10?  RB5?
 I draft tomorrow evening as well. I will happily take him at 1.03 if it comes to that. Praying for a one or two pick, but if I'm picking third hunt is my pony.  In that format he's a 50 point player, which is a huge benefit to starting the week.  Plus, I'm not facing him that way. 

I was already high on him, as a feature back in the Kansas City offense. He passed the eye test and then some. Sure, he may not be that good every week, but no running back is. 

Give me 60% of that production on a weekly basis and I'll show you a top-five running back this year. Well worth the pic considering  the team around him -  he's a chain mover in a mostly dink and dunk offense with a guy there to stretch the field in hill , and Kelsey opening up room in the middle. Plus his receiving skills are phenomenal… He was this fluid of a receiver as I've ever seen in a running back. 

That all adds up to a top-five running back a five ever seen one. I give him the agile for guys like McCoy for his youth, and the team around him.

Congrats hunt owners. You are lucky Tom Coughlin isn't the HC. David Wilson is cursing Coughlin somewhere in the world right now..
I started chain smoking after Hunt's fumble on his first carry(I have him in 2 of my 3 big $$$ leagues)All I could think of was West coming in on their next possession and Hunt getting a D Wilson type treatment. I drafted Wilson that year,thinking I had the next M Faulk  and steal of the draft. Then that fumble happened,the doghouse and that neck injury.... When Hunt was out there to start KC's second possession after stopping NE from getting any points off that fumble,I couldn't have been more happy. I just prayed he was going to hold on to the damn ball his next few carries,and the rest is history...As for Selling high.....NO NO AND NO. Good Luck at finding the next Bell/Johnson,I truly believe Hunt will be in the top 4 RB discussion next year at this time. He's got the right Offense,Coach,O-line and talent to be a stud for years to come.He looked so damn good catching the ball last night too.He'll get 60-75 rec this year too in that offense,more if Hill or Kelce miss any time to injury. He caught 40 balls or so at Toledo last year with a freaking cast on his hand for a broken wrist. Maybe he catches 85 balls this year..I know he probably had his best game of the year last night,but their will be plenty of 20-30 point games he will be having this year too.. It's gonna be a fun ride Hunt is no one week wonder,he is the real deal......

I'll agree that you can't really criticize someone for drafting Hunt as 4th RB off the board after last night, but respectfully disagree about the bolded.  He will be a solid RB for sure, but his long TD was a perfect storm of him having a slow defender beat by a step and Alex Smith throwing an absolutely perfect pass in stride.  I wouldn't expect too many long plays like that from Hunt.  I don't believe long speed is a strength of his, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.  He also had a long run down the sideline late in the 4th, but I'm pretty sure the Patriots had given up at that point.  I'd feel comfortable drafting him in the top 12 for sure.  Not so sure about top 4 just yet.
Take that play away.  Say it was an incomplete pass.  He still went for 148 rushing yards on 17 attempts (8.7 YPC) and a TD, and caught 4 of 5 targets for 20 yards with a TD. 

In my league the Hunt owner has said that he's not on the block no matter what (for realistic trades). She wants to see him a couple more weeks to see if he's the real deal.

On the flipside, I've polled members of my league, and they could be lying, but nobody with a top 20 dynasty player seems willing to part with them for Hunt (AJ Green, Watkins, A-Rob, etc.) and nobody that drafted a rookie ahead of Hunt is willing to trade either (Fournette, Cmac, Mixon, Davis, Cook). 

Seems that most people are in wait and see mode to see if he's the real deal.

In my league the Hunt owner has said that he's not on the block no matter what (for realistic trades). She wants to see him a couple more weeks to see if he's the real deal.

On the flipside, I've polled members of my league, and they could be lying, but nobody with a top 20 dynasty player seems willing to part with them for Hunt (AJ Green, Watkins, A-Rob, etc.) and nobody that drafted a rookie ahead of Hunt is willing to trade either (Fournette, Cmac, Mixon, Davis, Cook). 

Seems that most people are in wait and see mode to see if he's the real deal.
Or are building shrines to the dude. As a guy who refused to draft him in the 2nd round of a 16-teamer (picked Hopkins) and had him picked 3 picks ahead of me in the 3rd, I was so pissed. People are rejecting high-end RB2/WR2's for Hunt, even rejecting WR1s for him straight up. His value will never be any higher than it is right now.

Or are building shrines to the dude. As a guy who refused to draft him in the 2nd round of a 16-teamer (picked Hopkins) and had him picked 3 picks ahead of me in the 3rd, I was so pissed. People are rejecting high-end RB2/WR2's for Hunt, even rejecting WR1s for him straight up. His value will never be any higher than it is right now.

Unless he hangs another 100+ total yds and a TD on the board next week.

Users who are viewing this thread