What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (3 Viewers)

"Leaving Cleveland is without question in the best interest of his fantasy value."

I'm sure Hunt is very concerned with his fantasy value.
The prior sentence may address your/his concerns: “Hunt's best bet for maximum earnings is probably still the open market.”

killface said:
Hunt is never going to get a big contract because of his past would be my guess.  
I can see him being paid very well, but with clauses in his contract that enables them to get out of the deal should he screw up off the field.

And there goes his chance at rb1 status
Still a long ways to go.  No word on what level the tender is.  If it's original round (3rd) I don't think it's as large an obstacle and that was probably a best case scenario all along (no one was expecting them to not tender him at all).  If it's a 2nd then it's tougher but still possible especially for a team that sees themselves as win-now and has some cap space (Texans, maybe Titans if they let Henry walk).  If it's a 1st round tender then he is definitely in Cleveland next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still a long ways to go.  No word on what level the tender is.  If it's original round (3rd) I don't think it's as large and obstacle.  If it's 2nd then it's tougher but still possible especially for a team that sees themselves as win-now and has some cap space (Texans, maybe Titans if they let Henry walk).  If it's a 1st round tender then he is definitely in Cleveland next year.
Do Texans even have any picks?

I really want him to go to sf.  Would love to see what he would bring to that offense.  I don't think they've got cap space though.

Do Texans even have any picks?

I really want him to go to sf.  Would love to see what he would bring to that offense.  I don't think they've got cap space though.
In addition to the cap space, 49ers don't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick.

wgoldsph said:
But imagine what they could do with one with real talent
I'd add to that people keep saying they don't need or want to invest in one but they made McKinnon one of the higher paid RB's when they signed him. Then when Breida had a really solid year year in 2018 they followed that up by signing Tevin Coleman and this was only after a very credible reports, one of whom was Bell himself, that they had the second best offer on the table for him.

So yes Mostert had a nice run but when Breida has a similar nice run in 2018 that did not stop them from signing Tevin and almost signing Bell instead and at that time they probably even had optimism McKinnon was returning.

So not sure I agree with this narrative everyone is putting out that SF is not willing to invest in a RB.

But this is a Hunt thread and while I know Kyle stuck his head out for Joe Williams he apparently is not big on character risks so that's the second reason I don't see him having a shot to be in SF next year, with the RFA tender being the biggest.

Browns RB Kareem Hunt won't be charged with marijuana possession stemming from a January incident.

Hunt was let go with a speeding ticket after being pulled over in January and admitted he would "fail an NFL drug test if one were administered to him at the time." He won't face further punishment from the arrest legally, although it's always a bit of a guessing game when predicting how commissioner Roger Goodell and company will respond. Hunt is tentatively expected to be with the Browns again in 2020, likely working as a heavily-involved backup to stud RB Nick Chubb.

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Mar 2, 2020, 6:00 PM ET

Rotoworld take:

Browns placed a second-round tender on restricted free agent RB Kareem Hunt.

The second-round tender lands Hunt $2.914 million this upcoming year and ensures the Browns another Day 2 selection if the organization fails to match any potential offers. The 24-year-old sapped Nick Chubb's across-the-board usage upon joining the Browns post-suspension in Week 10, finishing as the overall RB17 over the last eight games behind a fruitful 5.5 targets per outing. The two are fully expected to continue working in a timeshare yet again this upcoming year.

SOURCE: Cleveland Browns on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 10:59 AM ET

I guess but if they were willing to take a 3rd for him why wouldn't they just put a 3rd round tender on him, which would potentially save them money to boot.
When a RFA is tendered and if that player signs with another team is the pick due this year or next year?

Kareem Hunt said he understands he will be the Browns' No. 2 back this season. 

Instead of a bravado-filled statement about challenging Nick Chubb for No. 1 duties, Hunt said he understood what his 2020 role is going to be. "They run a lot of two backs," Hunt said of new coach Kevin Stefanski's system. "I see myself just coming in and being a 1-2 (punch). You know, Nick and I just coming in and taking over the game every week." Hunt is worthy of a three-down role in the NFL, but Chubb has emerged as one of the league's best pure running talents over the past two years. A 2020 restricted free agent — Hunt has yet to officially sign his tender — he will get a shot at free agency in 2021. One of 2020's highest-upside handcuffs, Hunt should offer standalone PPR value as a FLEX option. He caught 37 passes in eight games a season ago. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Jun 11, 2020, 9:26 PM ET

Browns OC Chad O'Shea said Kareem Hunt has "been involved" in some of the team's virtual passing meetings this offseason.

"There has been a lot of interaction among us, a lot of crossover, that has been really helpful," O'Shea continued. He also said there has been no decisions made on who the third receiver will be, citing both Rashard Higgins and Hunt (???) as potential candidates. 25 in August, Hunt saw 44 targets — an 88-target pace — upon joining the team from suspension in Week 10 and is expected to keep a similar role under the new regime. He remains a high-upside RB2 currently being valued as the overall RB30 in spring Best-Ball leagues.

SOURCE: Scott Petrak on Twitter

Jun 17, 2020, 3:20 PM ET

Kareem Hunt told reporters he wants to sign an extension with the Browns.

"No question" Hunt responded when asked. "I would not mind playing for Browns for long time." Currently Hunt will play the 2020 season on a $3.26 million one-year tender. There is an argument to make that Hunt and Nick Chubb form the best running back group in the NFL. Hunt played in just eight games last season due to suspension, yet he and Chubb have already discussed "thriving" in Kevin Stefanski's wide zone scheme. His future with the Browns likely depends on the monetary figure he's hoping to sign for, because in the end he ultimately is the backup.

SOURCE: Scott Petrak on Twitter

Jun 22, 2020, 12:30 PM ET

Well that’s surprising. While an extremely valuable handcuff and decent stand alone value that would deflate his dynasty value quite a bit.

Well that’s surprising. While an extremely valuable handcuff and decent stand alone value that would deflate his dynasty value quite a bit.
Is it surprising? I find it more surprising when everyone thinks these guys want to be the #1 everywhere they go. Some guys want to be part of a team and understand their role

Count me among the surprised. Backups get paid like backups. Hunt is close to his alma mater and likely home, so there's that, but usually guys want to get paid and be the man. 

So, yes, surprised. Unless he thinks he's taking over for Chubb at the age of 26 (in two years) or something like that. Because it doesn't make a ton of sense otherwise.  

Is it surprising? I find it more surprising when everyone thinks these guys want to be the #1 everywhere they go. Some guys want to be part of a team and understand their role
I hate to say this, but he's probably just happy to have a job.

I hate to say this, but he's probably just happy to have a job.
This was my thinking as well. What else would he say? I think this is covering his worst case scenario. Returning to Cleveland if the market is not hot for him. You have to think he wants to be the main guy again someday.

This was my thinking as well. What else would he say? I think this is covering his worst case scenario. Returning to Cleveland if the market is not hot for him. You have to think he wants to be the main guy again someday.
Absolutely. If he's a backup he's going to get paid like a backup. If he has the opportunity to be the main guy, he'll get paid like it.

Gotta be careful with blurbs, "wants" to sign an extension seems like a stretch for a headline. He was asked if he'd like to sign a long-term deal to stay after spending a bunch of time talking about how he was blessed that the Browns took another chance on him and he's lucky to be playing football again.

"No question. I would definitely like to be a part of something like this," he said. "Everybody is here I care about. I know everybody in the whole town. I would not mind playing for the Browns for a long time."

Sounds like the normal, non-committal "say all the right things" player-speak we hear from most guys. He also talked about how he hopes he can get more opportunities to show what he can do on the field, as well as how much it hurts that he screwed up and he could have been playing in the super bowl this year.

Gotta be careful with blurbs, "wants" to sign an extension seems like a stretch for a headline. He was asked if he'd like to sign a long-term deal to stay after spending a bunch of time talking about how he was blessed that the Browns took another chance on him and he's lucky to be playing football again.

"No question. I would definitely like to be a part of something like this," he said. "Everybody is here I care about. I know everybody in the whole town. I would not mind playing for the Browns for a long time."

Sounds like the normal, non-committal "say all the right things" player-speak we hear from most guys. He also talked about how he hopes he can get more opportunities to show what he can do on the field, as well as how much it hurts that he screwed up and he could have been playing in the super bowl this year.
No doubt about the points made in either of these quotes. Sounds like player speak and saying all the right things.  

Users who are viewing this thread