What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Gainwell, PHI (1 Viewer)

I'm on the hype train. Penny can't stay healthy. Swift got dumped for peanuts. Gainwell has the advantage of knowing the offense and coaches trust.

I think him, Swift, and Penny are all about the same level of talent at this point in their careers. If there is a difference, it's slim. Think the Eagles will let this cat be the lead guy being this will be his 3rd year with the franchise.

It also helps he's the cheapest of the 3, so if you were to pick one at random that's as good of a reason as any to draft him.

Last edited:
Eagles beat reporter Bo Wulf said on The Athletic Football Show that he believes Kenneth Gainwell “is going to end up playing the most. Because he is the most reliable.”
Wulf was playing out the Eagles’ running back scenario and said he thinks the team wants it to be D’Andre Swift’s backfield. However, Gainwell’s reliability over the last two seasons and familiarity with the offense could lead to the team playing him over Swift and Rashaad Penny. Gainwell continues to be the cheapest of the three running backs in fantasy drafts and could turn into a high-value pick if Wulf’s prediction comes to frution. Still, there’s a good chance all three running backs see meaningful work this season, which could make their usage hard to predict on a week-to-week basis.

Hes never had many touches. Why sign a FA and trade for another good rb if he's going to be the guy? It's going to be a split as usual. And swift has the most potential

Hes never had many touches. Why sign a FA and trade for another good rb if he's going to be the guy? It's going to be a split as usual. And swift has the most potential
They didn’t pay much to trade for swift and neither guy is getting paid much $. Not saying Gainwell will be certainly the guy but their RB room is pretty cheap.

They didn’t pay much to trade for swift and neither guy is getting paid much $. Not saying Gainwell will be certainly the guy but their RB room is pretty cheap.

yeah still cheaper than miles sanders

Howie wants as much depth as possible…he does an awesome job of being active and adding good players. That being said, I think the player that performs the best will get the best role… I don’t know that any roles or pecking order is guaranteed. I think both guys are good and both guys will play. The real key and the reason I added targeted Gainwell so aggressively is that Swift cannot stay healthy. Where you can get gainwell vs what Swift cost’s …. it’s a no brainer to me. The potential ceiling is so high if things break right (either by winning the job or via injury) and the cost is the last few rounds of your draft. Give me these lottery tickets all day.

Last edited:
Howie wants as much depth as possible…he does an awesome job of being active and adding good players. That being said, I think the player that performs the best will get the best role… I don’t know that any roles or pecking order is guaranteed. I think both guys are good and both guys will play. The real key and the reason I added targeted Gainwell so aggressively is that Swift cannot stay healthy. Where you can get gainwell vs what Swift cost’s …. it’s a no brainer to me. The potential ceiling is so high if things break right (either by winning the job or via injury) and the cost is the last few rounds of your draft. Give me these lottery tickets all day.
Gainwell seems to be a better receiver than RB.

Kenneth Gainwell rushed 14 times for 54 yards in the Eagles’ Week 1 win over the Patriots, adding four receptions for an additional 20 yards.

Many were shocked to learn that Rashaad Penny would be a healthy scratch, but even more were shocked to see Gainwell carry the load. He handled it well for the most part, gaining hard yards against a tough Patriots’ defense. It wasn’t a spectacular performance by any means, but the Eagles most certainly trust him more at this point. It’s unclear if he’ll continue to see this many touches, but if he does, he’s worth a flex play against the Vikings in Week 2.

- Rotoworld

Not sure what to think of Gainwell just yet. I don’t think he will continue to dominate the backfield. I have Bojan and was offered Allgeier for my share of Gainwell and a 2nd.
Heavily considering it.

Not sure what to think of Gainwell just yet. I don’t think he will continue to dominate the backfield. I have Bojan and was offered Allgeier for my share of Gainwell and a 2nd.
Heavily considering it.
I'm guessing that Gainwell's domination was probably game-script driven. Sirianni is a heck of a coach and I'm sure will morph as needed. Gainwell will almost certainly be a big factor in the backfield regardless, but I imagine Swift and Penny will be more involved going forward depending on script.

Heavily considering it.
I'm guessing that Gainwell's domination was probably game-script driven. Sirianni is a heck of a coach and I'm sure will morph as needed. Gainwell will almost certainly be a big factor in the backfield regardless, but I imagine Swift and Penny will be more involved going forward depending on script.

Unless Swift or Gainwell get hurt or severely underperform I don't think Penny will be active. He is behind Boston Scott right now.

Heavily considering it.

Unless Swift or Gainwell get hurt or severely underperform I don't think Penny will be active. He is behind Boston Scott right now.
Fair point, although Penny brings a physical element that the others don't, so maybe he'll be activated if that is part of the game plan. More likely though, it seems like Penny hasn't won over the coaching staff and I would would not be surprised if he is jettisoned at some point if they need roster space elsewhere. There's very little financial commitment to him.

Heavily considering it.

Fair point, although Penny brings a physical element that the others don't, so maybe he'll be activated if that is part of the game plan. More likely though, it seems like Penny hasn't won over the coaching staff and I would would not be surprised if he is jettisoned at some point if they need roster space elsewhere. There's very little financial commitment to him.
Penny brings a physical element for a couple of games until his body breaks down.

Kenneth Gainwell rushed 14 times for 54 yards in the Eagles’ Week 1 win over the Patriots, adding four receptions for an additional 20 yards.

Many were shocked to learn that Rashaad Penny would be a healthy scratch, but even more were shocked to see Gainwell carry the load. He handled it well for the most part, gaining hard yards against a tough Patriots’ defense. It wasn’t a spectacular performance by any means, but the Eagles most certainly trust him more at this point. It’s unclear if he’ll continue to see this many touches, but if he does, he’s worth a flex play against the Vikings in Week 2.

- Rotoworld
Rotoworld is interesting. Eagles fans in my life weren’t even remotely shocked about Gainwell or Penny. Gainwell was running with the 1st team in camp, Penny was playing preseason games with scrubs. Penny is getting paid just over $1m this year. Peanuts. This was fairly predictable.

- Rotoworld
Rotoworld is interesting. Eagles fans in my life weren’t even remotely shocked about Gainwell or Penny. Gainwell was running with the 1st team in camp, Penny was playing preseason games with scrubs. Penny is getting paid just over $1m this year. Peanuts. This was fairly predictable.
Not at all surprising but Swift will phase in more as he gets more comfortable in the offense is my thought.

- Rotoworld
Not at all surprising but Swift will phase in more as he gets more comfortable in the offense is my thought.
Yeah, that seems likely

- Rotoworld
Seems like Swift should already be comfortable - might be game script dependent as stated above or they really like Gainwell as was demonstrated all offseason.

Heavily considering it.
I'm not sure what you mean about game-script driven? It's not like Philly was super pass or run heavy yesterday, it was a fairly balanced attack and they chose to not even activate Penny and gave almost all of the RB work to Gainwell.

As a Gainwell owner in a few leagues yesterday went about as well as I could’ve hoped. Swift was non-existent and Gainwell seemed to get most of the touches. Not sure what the snap count was but he seemed to be out there quite a bit.

- Rotoworld

Go into the Penny thread. I tried to tell everyone in there that once Siposs and Covey were elevated from the PS, that Penny was likely going to be inactive. I also tried to tell everyone that the Eagles loved Gainwell and raved about him in practice, but it didn't translate into game carries until the playoffs. I also predicted in that thread that Gainwell will get double his carries from last season (that might even be a low ball based on week 1).

I was surprised that Gainwell got almost all of the carries in week 1. I figured at the very least, Swift would have split with Gainwell.

- Rotoworld

Go into the Penny thread. I tried to tell everyone in there that once Siposs and Covey were elevated from the PS, that Penny was likely going to be inactive. I also tried to tell everyone that the Eagles loved Gainwell and raved about him in practice, but it didn't translate into game carries until the playoffs. I also predicted in that thread that Gainwell will get double his carries from last season (that might even be a low ball based on week 1).

I was surprised that Gainwell got almost all of the carries in week 1. I figured at the very least, Swift would have split with Gainwell.
Yeah, along with my Eagles friends IRL, definitely your comments were part of what I leaned on. :)

Kenneth Gainwell saw 41 of the Eagles’ 68 running back snaps in the team’s Week 1 win over the Patriots.

The Eagles’ backfield offered up multiple surprises in their Week 1 win over the Patriots. It started with Rashaad Penny being a healthy scratch, and ended with Gainwell dominating in snaps (41), rush attempts (14), and targets (4). Gainwell’s 18 opportunities were 15 more than D’Andre Swift, who played as a distant RB2, and could be a sign of things to come for the third-year back. It may be a few weeks before we feel comfortable enough to trust an Eagles running back on a week-to-week basis, but for at least one week, Gainwell is the leader in the clubhouse by a wide margin.

Kenneth Gainwell (ribs) did not practice for second straight day

Facing a Thursday Night game, Gainwell did not practice for the second consecutive day due to a rib injury. He saw the majority of the Eagles’ backfield snaps in Week 1, but if he misses Week 2, D’Andre Swift is in line for more touches. Gainwell is a potential waiver wire add as well, but with his rib injury, his Week 2 value is in question.

Is anyone confident in Gainwell in coming weeks?
Ribs can linger and if he's not playing, does Penny become an option?
Swift did not take many hand offs in the game, hard to read the tea leaves on this one

Adam Schefter
Eagles are listing RB Kenneth Gainwell and CB James Bradberry as out for Thursday night’s game vs. the Vikings.
I dropped Gainwell last week literally 7 minutes before the news that Penny would be inactive. I've been kicking rocks since now.

Ended up being great waiver bait.

Alternatively, Gainwell becomes a good buy-low candidate right now. If he recovers quickly and reclaims his #1 RB option with a great offense like PHI, he is still a solid waiver claim.

Kenneth Gainwell (ribs) returned to Eagles practice Thursday, getting in a “limited” session.

It puts Gainwell on track to return for Monday Night Football against the Bucs after missing Week 2 vs. Minnesota. Gainwell ended up missing only one game, but D’Andre Swift re-proved how much more explosive he is than the Eagles’ coaching staff favorite, turning 31 touches into a ludicrous 181 yards from scrimmage. Gainwell isn’t just going to be mothballed, but it stands to reason Swift probably earned another lead back shot. FLEX finders should be aiming higher than Kenny G for Week 3.

Users who are viewing this thread