What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Gainwell, PHI (1 Viewer)

I’m hoping the staff gives Gainwell an extended look to see what he can do with a larger role. But we can’t be confident in anything the staff does, so I expect a healthy dose of Howard running it up the gut.
Half right - little sign of Gainwell, but it’s Scott rather than Howard taking the carries.

Gainwell is getting a zero today. They don't trust him after that fumble to carry the ball and he won't get the frantic come back dumpoffs because the lions suck. 

Frustrating because many of us have held on for this very opportunity if Sanders went down.

I’ll hold him through the off-season in my keeper league, but any long-term optimism is fading that he’ll ever be a thing.

Can't wait to cut this guy next week. He's getting a shot here in garbage time and goes backwards or no where on every carry. 

Brutal.  Someone remind me not to wait until the fourth round to draft my first rb next year.  Been like Russian roulette every week.

doghouse?
I guess. Maybe this was his punishment for fumbling? Who knows. With this staff we could have the range of Gainwell getting 30 carries next week to no RB having more than 2 carries next week. So who knows. 

Looks like he has been phased out of the game plan.  One thing I don't understand however, is that Gainwell is very good at catching the ball, so why have the Eagles gotten away from that with him?  I still believe he will be useful in PPR again eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't make sense. He had that fumble 3-4 games ago and it seems like since then, he's been out. This isn't a team good enough to be permanently punishing guys with talent. Maybe he's relapsed with picking up the blitz or something too. Either way he's basically droppable at this point. 

Doesn't make sense. He had tat fumble 3-4 games ago and it seems like since then, he's been out. This isn't a team pod enough to be permanently punishing guys with talent. Maybe he's relapsed with picking up the blitz or somet too. Either way he's basically droppable at this point. 
Obviously that last sentence is a redraft comment.  I'm more interested in his long term value in dynasty.  Still, it doesn't make sense that the Eagles aren't utilizing his receiving ability and were earlier in the year.  I still believe he will be very good in PPR leagues eventually, but that may not happen this year.

Obviously that last sentence is a redraft comment.  I'm more interested in his long term value in dynasty.  Still, it doesn't make sense that the Eagles aren't utilizing his receiving ability and were earlier in the year.  I still believe he will be very good in PPR leagues eventually, but that may not happen this year.
Yes redraft. No young player is ever truly droppable in dynasty (unless criminal activity comes up). 

As for earlier in the year, they were playing garbage mode for most of the 2nd halves of games. He was the receiving back then. Now he seems to have fallen to 4th on the depth chart. 

Yes redraft. No young player is ever truly droppable in dynasty (unless criminal activity comes up). 

As for earlier in the year, they were playing garbage mode for most of the 2nd halves of games. He was the receiving back then. Now he seems to have fallen to 4th on the depth chart. 
That part is obvious.  You would think that a losing team would be more interested in truly seeing what they have in Gainwell instead of those retread players, especially Jordan Howard.

That part is obvious.  You would think that a losing team would be more interested in truly seeing what they have in Gainwell instead of those retread players, especially Jordan Howard.
You would think but this is only the 2nd game they have sustained a balanced gameplan of running. They're doing it with Scott and Howard so idk if that's just a comfort thing now for the coach but I think they'll keep doing it until Sanders gets back. Then watch them throw 90% again. Who the hell knows with these guys. 

You would think but this is only the 2nd game they have sustained a balanced gameplan of running. They're doing it with Scott and Howard so idk if that's just a comfort thing now for the coach but I think they'll keep doing it until Sanders gets back. Then watch them throw 90% again. Who the hell knows with these guys. 
Sounds like a staff worried more about their job than future development.  I suppose you can't blame them.  I'm not up on the Eagles coaching and GM status.  When were they hired?

Sounds like a staff worried more about their job than future development.  I suppose you can't blame them.  I'm not up on the Eagles coaching and GM status.  When were they hired?
This is their first season. All of them. 

Ok, then what are they thinking?  Do they really see Jordan Howard and Boston Scot as  their future?
No idea. It took then 8 games to realize they should run the ball with the RBs more than 5 times a game. We all thought they liked Gainwell because they never used Sanders in those early games. Turns out they just had no clue what they were doing. 

Ok, then what are they thinking?  Do they really see Jordan Howard and Boston Scot as  their future?
They do not, and those guys did not play in the first 5 games or so. But the coaching was so inept in most of their games before they destroyed the Lions that there were legitimate questions if the staff was going to be one-and-done. That is why they have relied on veterans and more conservative game plans in the last 2 weeks. There is no expectation that the team is going to be a contender this year. However, there is an expectation that the coaching staff show signs that it knows what it's doing, and those signs were mostly missing between the victory over ATL and the victory over DET. 

No idea. It took then 8 games to realize they should run the ball with the RBs more than 5 times a game. We all thought they liked Gainwell because they never used Sanders in those early games. Turns out they just had no clue what they were doing. 

Or, they just don't think Sanders is capable of holding up.

Looks like they prefer a bigger back to handle the running duties.

Looks like they prefer a bigger back to handle the running duties.
But then why was Howard on the practice squad until week 8? All this feels so fly by night. 

Who knows? But it's obvious they don't trust a smaller back to carry the load.

I could understand them not wanting to give a smaller back a full work load. But 12-15 touches is not a full workload. There is absolutely no reason Gainwell should not be getting more touches on this team. See what he can do to determine if he has a significant role next year. They aren’t winning anything this year so every carry given to Howard at the expense of Gainwell (and a lesser extent Boston Scott) is a wasted touch.

I could understand them not wanting to give a smaller back a full work load. But 12-15 touches is not a full workload. There is absolutely no reason Gainwell should not be getting more touches on this team. See what he can do to determine if he has a significant role next year. They aren’t winning anything this year so every carry given to Howard at the expense of Gainwell (and a lesser extent Boston Scott) is a wasted touch.

If I was the coaching staff, at this point I would be using both Howard and Gainwell. I like what I've seen from Gainwell in the passing game and in the red zone. Sanders isn't big enough to handle the Howard role, and he's not at Gainwell's level of pass catching, route running, etc.

We have also discussed in the Eagles thread how TWO coaching staffs not using Sanders greatly is a red flag. He is just not trusted. Maybe he's bad at picking up playbooks. He certainly showed lack of football awareness when he ran out of bounds TWICE when the Eagles were trying to close out the win in the Carolina game. 

Who knows? But it's obvious they don't trust a smaller back to carry the load.
They don't need Gainwell to carry the load.  They could use him in the passing game and we all know that is what he is good at.  They were using him that way earlier in the year with success.  The coaches seem to have lost that somewhere along the way.

They don't need Gainwell to carry the load.  They could use him in the passing game and we all know what's what he is good at.  They were using him that way earlier in the year with success.  The coaches seem to have lost that somewhere along the way.
I think you’re confusing my original post with something else 

JohnnyU said:
Wasn’t you referring to Gainwell when you said they didn’t trust smaller backs?  If not, my apologies.

No problem. I was more referring to Sanders and why he hasn't topped 15 carries all season. I actually think Gainwell needs to see the ball more.

Kenneth Gainwell rushed 12 times for 78 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles' Week 18 loss to Dallas.

Miles Sanders was inactive, while Jordan Howard and Boston Scott missed Week 18 on the COVID list. Gainwell was the Eagles' featured back, tying the game with a red-zone touchdown in the second quarter before getting blown out in the second half. With the Eagles' backs expected to return for the Wild Card round, Gainwell will revert to a special teams role after a one week spot start.

Jan 9, 2022, 1:19 AM ET

I look for him to take a step forward in 2022. He looked good towards the end of the season when he got opportunity.   He may not be start worthy on a weekly basis, but he should have his moments and worth a flex option in the right match up.  I don’t see Sanders or Scott as a major obstacle going forward, given his chops in the receiving game.

People are really sleeping on Gainwell IMO.  He could blow up in 2022.  He's more than a pass catching back, which he does extremely well.  In PPR leagues go out and trade for him before his value goes up.   He is going to have more value than Miles Sanders in 2022.  People aren't really talking about him right now in the Shark Pool..  That will change in 2022.

People are really sleeping on Gainwell IMO.  He could blow up in 2022.  He's more than a pass catching back, which he does extremely well.  In PPR leagues go out and trade for him before his value goes up.   He is going to have more value than Miles Sanders in 2022.  People aren't really talking about him right now in the Shark Pool..  That will change in 2022.
What the Golden Arm said.

Users who are viewing this thread