What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenyan Drake, LV (1 Viewer)

The Athletic's Tashan Reed reports Kenyan Drake is expected to maintain a "significant role" in the Raiders' backfield. 

It is the wide assumption that new coach Josh McDaniels will be employing a Patriots-esque committee, and fourth-round rookie Zamir White has been drawing some buzz as a potential third-down option. White is not practicing with an undisclosed injury, however, while Drake has been cleared from his broken ankle. Despite his hugely disappointing 2021, Drake and his versatility do profile well in a Pats-style offense. He could re-emerge in the FLEX mix after his lost first campaign in Vegas. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 28, 2022, 8:09 PM ET

Ravens reportedly hosting RB Kenyan Drake on visit, will sign pending physical
https://twitter.com/RapSheet
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Sources: The #Ravens are hosting former #Raiders RB Kenyan Drake on a visit today and if all goes well they likely will sign him. A potential perfect opportunity for Drake, who should get immediate touches.

JosinaAnderson
@JosinaAnderson
I’m told that free agent RB Kenyan Drake will sign with the #Ravens today pending the results of his physical, per league source. Drake is already in Baltimore.

Ravens backfield a mess again
Davonta Freeman was their hero at times last year, yes/no? Think he had like 700 yds and 6 TDs there.
Drake was not used correctly in Vegas and then landed on IR. Most scratched their heads when they signed him but in 2020 he had over 1,000 scrimmage yds and 10 rushing TDs, the guy can ball at times when things bounce right for him.

Already picked up Drake. Hopefully just insurance in case Do bins needs more time to start the season.
Same today for me, better than Spiller in redraft at the end of my bench. Feels like Drake might be used more than we might think early in the season.

5 of Drake's first 8 games were double digits in PPR-2021

in 2020 he had almost 1,000 yds rush and 10 TDs

I am really surprised there isn't more buzz around him. I am thinking he should be in for at least a flex start worthy season, but there is some big upside here

I am really surprised there isn't more buzz around him. I am thinking he should be in for at least a flex start worthy season, but there is some big upside here
Don't know if Dobbins can go or not yet.
There was another RB who is coming off a big injury and has been cleared, Justice maybe?
Have no idea what his role will be and the Ravens picked him up off the streets, can release him any time they want.

There was another RB who is coming off a big injury and has been cleared, Justice maybe?
Have no idea what his role will be and the Ravens picked him up off the streets, can release him any time they want.
Justice Hill, wasn't sure he cleared but he's coming off and Achilles, I can't see him being a big factor this season.

I think in, what should be a winnable matchup with the Jets, both Drake and Davis will see opportunities. Although I have no idea what the split will look like.

Cut him. I couldn't even trade him for a kicker. He did better in the pros than i thought he would, but I think the end is coming towards him like a brick wall.

Justice Hill, wasn't sure he cleared but he's coming off and Achilles, I can't see him being a big factor this season.

I think in, what should be a winnable matchup with the Jets, both Drake and Davis will see opportunities. Although I have no idea what the split will look like.

Cut him. I couldn't even trade him for a kicker. He did better in the pros than i thought he would, but I think the end is coming towards him like a brick wall.

I cut my last RB on the bench, in this case Spiller and grabbed Drake the second he was in line to sign with the Ravens.

-If Baltimore were totally happy with their RBs and comfortable with their present health, think you wouldn't see Drake but another lesser name RB signed to just "spell/back-up" one of the other RBs already on the roster.

Drake felt like they needed some insurance for at least a month or two and if there is any chemistry with him and Lamar, I could see him carving out part of the run game or Offense but very few TD opp with LJax operating at QB, too easy for him to run the ball in for scores all by himself.

Also want to talk about a myth or perhaps it's not a myth at all.

-I was reading that QBs that scramble and can buy time throw less outlet and short passes that likely will not turn a FD at the end of the play. They would rather try and launch one down the field with the extra time they buy in the pocket. Now i don't know if that is true or not but in Jackson's case perhaps it is.

I would like to be excited about Drake being a decent set of hands for a team that needs them to expand beyond Andrews at Tight End. but the potential reality is he might not see many targets and end up with just 10 carries for 44 yds and have a nice day everyone. And that might be all that Baltimore is hoping for, someone who can take 8-10-12 carries and split it with another RB.

All conjecture on my part, nothing to support any of it but I will point to Freeman being their top RB last year, think that's right. 700/6TDs and you never heard much about him.

Last edited:
Drake might carve out a role, but IMO when Dobbins comes back fully he’ll force Drake off the field. They have a couple other guys, too, so even if Dobbins can’t get healthy, it’s probably RBBC.

Drake might carve out a role, but IMO when Dobbins comes back fully he’ll force Drake off the field. They have a couple other guys, too, so even if Dobbins can’t get healthy, it’s probably RBBC.
I just remind you that Drake has only been in the NFL 6 Seasons on 3 different teams...sorry make that 4 now.
-We're talking about a guy that has a 3 year run before last year's injury...1,012/9Td, 1162/8Td, 1,092/10Td and touch totals 173/220/264 his last year in Arizona.
-I'm not sure everyone in the NFL including the Ravens coaches feel that Dobbins will "FORCE" Drake off the field but I know where this comes from and I respect what Dobbins did towards the 2nd half of his Rookie year, that was what has most folks' attention.

The Ravens backfield is pretty murky right now. I think Drake and Dobbins will form a 2-Back split, might favor Dobbins, that could run for 4 weeks until Gus comes off the PUP and then you have Justice Hill coming back, I don't see Drake being able to hold the job all year BUT if he does come in and rip off some chunks, you can be sure he will get more touches.

-Drake does best when he is limited to about 10-12 touches a game, 173 and 220 in that 3 year stretch I outlined produce the most numbers for him and the teams he was on.
Drake brings a lot of in game experience and it doesn't matter what we think or believe he was overpaid, prima donna, none of that matters right now, it's about the Ravens in 2022, he is on a good team for where he is at in his career, they might need him to make their playoff run.

I just remind you that Drake has only been in the NFL 6 Seasons on 3 different teams...sorry make that 4 now.
-We're talking about a guy that has a 3 year run before last year's injury...1,012/9Td, 1162/8Td, 1,092/10Td and touch totals 173/220/264 his last year in Arizona.
-I'm not sure everyone in the NFL including the Ravens coaches feel that Dobbins will "FORCE" Drake off the field but I know where this comes from and I respect what Dobbins did towards the 2nd half of his Rookie year, that was what has most folks' attention.

The Ravens backfield is pretty murky right now. I think Drake and Dobbins will form a 2-Back split, might favor Dobbins, that could run for 4 weeks until Gus comes off the PUP and then you have Justice Hill coming back, I don't see Drake being able to hold the job all year BUT if he does come in and rip off some chunks, you can be sure he will get more touches.

-Drake does best when he is limited to about 10-12 touches a game, 173 and 220 in that 3 year stretch I outlined produce the most numbers for him and the teams he was on.
Drake brings a lot of in game experience and it doesn't matter what we think or believe he was overpaid, prima donna, none of that matters right now, it's about the Ravens in 2022, he is on a good team for where he is at in his career, they might need him to make their playoff run.
Could be - not sure why the Raiders let him go if he’s that good still.

Worth a flier if ya need a guy.

K Drake had a high % of salary for injury guarantees. He was going to make $4.5 mill on the Raiders.
That was more than J Jacobs. He makes M Davis the guy the odd man out.
The only reason J Hill is still around is his rookie contract.

Could be - not sure why the Raiders let him go if he’s that good still.

Worth a flier if ya need a guy.
Zamir White was cheaper?
Yes, but look at the numbers. If he’s capable of that, Drake wasn’t that much cheaper for a team bent on competing in the loaded NFC West.
They didn't cut him for cap reasons, that's clear as they didn't save anything by cutting him. I think it comes down to having people they like more for scheme fit (Bolden, Abdullah) and potential (Zamir). You also have to factor in he had a season ending injury and, as has been pointed, out for a guy who performs at every opportunity no one ever wanted him as a long term solution. There is something going on with him that the public doesn't know.

Drake seems like massive upgrade from stiffs like L Murray, D Freeman and Bell.

He and Davis will do OK while JK recovers.

when JK can comes back, I still see Baltimore distributing volume as per usual.

Drake seems like massive upgrade from stiffs like L Murray, D Freeman and Bell.

He and Davis will do OK while JK recovers.

when JK can comes back, I still see Baltimore distributing volume as per usual.
You should say if not when JK comes back. I doubt highly we see a healthy version of JK this year

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport believes the Ravens signed Kenyan Drake to be the "de facto starter."​

Rapoport dropped this nugget while talking about the health of J.K. Dobbins, who is still working his way back from the torn ACL he suffered last year. Baltimore's lead back has since been ruled out. Drake was signed at the end of training camp after being cut by the Raiders. Mike Davis joined the Ravens as a free agent after struggling mightily in his one-year stint with the Falcons. Baltimore will give Drake every chance to get going, though Davis will likely earn a handful of carries. Drake is a strong FLEX option for fantasy managers in need of a replacement for Dobbins.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Sep 11, 2022, 10:58 AM ET

is it worth dropping Pacheco for Drake in a 12 team PPR? I am already running out Henry, Dillon, Stevenson, and Sanders/Gainwell so he would be at end of my bench but i’m intrigued

Just my gut and I did pick up Drake when he was signed by the Ravens

-He isn't going to be asked to carry the team, they have Lamar Jackson for that.
-10-12 carries tops IMHO, maybe a couple catches but mobile QBs typically do not fill the pockets of RBs with receptions.

50-60 total yds would be a projection, TD chances are not super high because Jackson can run them in but why risk Lamar if they are cruising so I could see Drake perhaps getting some red zone touches but if he gets stuffed on 1st and goal you can be sure Jackson will take it on himself to push it into the end zone.

Limited upside IMO

Kenyan Drake had 11 rushes for 31 yards in the Ravens' Week 1 win against the Jets, adding one catch for 15 yards.

Drake was Baltimore's clearcut No. 1 back with J.K. Dobbins (ACL) sidelined. While he wasn't particularly effective against the Jets, he was far superior to backfield mate Mike Davis, who totaled 11 yards on two carries. Drake isn't a compelling fantasy option because of Lamar Jackson's reluctance to check down to his backs. He should still see a solid workload for as long as Dobbins is out.

- NBCSportsEDGE

@elguapo07 ? Thread rename?

Kenyan Drake rushed 10 times for 119 yards and one touchdown in the Ravens' Week 6 loss to the Giants, adding one catch for eight additional yards.

Drake turned in an unexpected day on the ground Sunday, getting things started with a 30-yard rushing touchdown in the second quarter to give the Ravens their first points on the day. Drake would add three more rushes of 20+ yards on the day and finished with an impressive 11.9 YPC. Sunday marked Drake's best game as a Raven and came in a game that saw J.K. Dobbins (knee) exit early. Dobbins' status will be worth monitoring throughout the week, but Drake should be a popular waiver wire add ahead of Week 7's matchup against the Browns.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I think we have to ask Joe to rename this...

Kenyan Drake had 11 rushes for five yards in the Ravens' Week 7 win against the Browns.

The popular waiver wire addition took a backseat to Gus Edwards, who had 16 rushes for 66 yards and two touchdowns against Cleveland. Drake was dismal in his 11 carries, as indicated by his meager yardage output. Unlike last week against the Giants, he did not run with decisiveness and bounced several runs to the outside for losses. Drake is a fine bench stash with J.K. Dobbins (knee) out for the next 4-6 weeks.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Kenyan Drake rushed seven times for 62 yards in the Ravens' Week 8 win over the Bucs, adding four receptions for five additional yards and a touchdown.​

Curiously, Drake drew the start, but Gus Edwards operated as the Ravens' No. 1 back until suffering a fourth quarter hamstring injury. 40 of Drake's yards came on a fourth quarter carry after Edwards departed. Drake's five-yard score, where he was freed by a play fake, came with Edwards still in the contest. Speaking after the game, coach John Harbaugh said he didn't believe Edwards' injury was serious, but considering his recent health history, there's a strong chance he will be given a Week 9 breather with Baltimore's bye on tap one week later. Drake should continue to be rostered in 12-team leagues.
Oct 28, 2022, 12:07 AM ET

@elguapo07
He's a Raven now, no hurry as he'll be on another team eventually

Any updates from anyone going into Sunday? If he's being used, good match up vs the Saints
Jacobs didn't do anything in this match up last week but desperate times, desperate moves

I mean.. Been here before with Drake , yay or nay? Given the Taylor sitch I think it could be something perhaps to at least take a flier on

Last edited:
Yea, the dude has had some crazy games tho hah averages 4.5 which isn't terrible. I just think he had some really bad hands dealt in the back fields hes been on

Users who are viewing this thread