What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Khalil Herbert, CHI (1 Viewer)

League winner possibly if Montgomery suffers any setbacks or injuries. Damien Williams is going to get traded or outright released for not getting a vaccine. Jesus. 
I doubt that they dump him for not being vaxxed.  For one thing it's against league policy, and for another he's now got some natural immunity once he clears, so might as well keep him.

I doubt that they dump him for not being vaxxed.  For one thing it's against league policy, and for another he's now got some natural immunity once he clears, so might as well keep him.

I know- I'm just being dramatic lol. But they need him this week in a tough road matchup, but time will tell. 

I doubt any team will trade for him w/ that fact that his non-vaxed-status could disrupt more than help. That being said:    for dynasty, he's a UFA after this season anyway.

I wasn't aware of the requirement to pay it back
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-how-key-players-opting-out-affects-salary-cap-for-2020-and-beyond-plus-more-opt-out-details/

"A player voluntarily opting out will receive a $150,000 stipend provided he earned a credited season (three or more regular season or postseason games on the 53-man roster, injured reserve or physically unable to perform list) in 2019 or was selected in the 2020 NFL Draft. Undrafted rookies can opt out but won't receive a stipend. Players opting out voluntarily won't receive a credited season or accrued season (i.e., a year of service for free agency) for 2020.

The $150,000 stipend is considered a salary advance or loan that will be offset against any money earned in the future from playing in the NFL. Technically, a player would owe his team $150,000 if he never played another down of football after opting out. The lengths a team would go to collect the $150,000 remain to be seen."

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-how-key-players-opting-out-affects-salary-cap-for-2020-and-beyond-plus-more-opt-out-details/

"A player voluntarily opting out will receive a $150,000 stipend provided he earned a credited season (three or more regular season or postseason games on the 53-man roster, injured reserve or physically unable to perform list) in 2019 or was selected in the 2020 NFL Draft. Undrafted rookies can opt out but won't receive a stipend. Players opting out voluntarily won't receive a credited season or accrued season (i.e., a year of service for free agency) for 2020.

The $150,000 stipend is considered a salary advance or loan that will be offset against any money earned in the future from playing in the NFL. Technically, a player would owe his team $150,000 if he never played another down of football after opting out. The lengths a team would go to collect the $150,000 remain to be seen."
Still pretty good to get $150K off of future salary and not play a down of football lol for a guy that I know is making more than a million dollars. But yeah it was for other reasons I'm sure.  

I doubt any team will trade for him w/ that fact that his non-vaxed-status could disrupt more than help. That being said:    for dynasty, he's a UFA after this season anyway.
Well since he has covid now why would his vax status matter for the rest of the season?

Ok let's try to put this thread back in the rails ....

Who is starting vs TB? Do we think he can catch enough passes to be a valid start?

Sanders had a so so game but obviously Gaskin is the poster child for RB upside vs TB with 10/74/2 in the air. 

Can Herbert be this effective a pass catcher? I recall he didn't do much at college but has seemed adequate as a pro

Had 22 receptions across 46 G in college

couple bullets from his draft profile 

• Doesn't find his man consistently in pass pro.
  • Effort and technique might make him a non-option on passing downs.
sitting him in my main league, giving the matchup and not knowing how involved he’ll be in the passing game (it’s PPR) he’s probably my 5th choice (for comp - Swift, McKissic, Javonte, Carter w/ Harris/Pollard on bye)

in another league I’m pairing him with Kamara - that’s over Dillon, McNichols & Sermon (CEH on IR)

given the number of byes this week I bet 1/3rd to 1/2 of his owners are firing him up

Dang I probably don't have the luxury of sitting Herbert in more than a couple spots. 

Pretty much, just went in a few leagues to pull him and realized I had no one viable to put in his place in many of them.  Got to roll him some places and while I can't see a lot of rushing production will just hope he finds the end zone or that without practicing all week Damien is smaller part of the game plan and Herbert gets just a little work in the passing game.

Uh oh.

Damien Williams

is starting… what are we thinking now folks? I’m debating sitting him and starting collins/penny and

Allen Robinson

over him now…

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021/10/23/22741125/bears-reinstate-damien-williams-coronavirus-covid-19-who-will-play-sunday-buccaneers-khalil-herbert
that doesnt say williams is starting at all  (only that he started the first week montgomery was out)  In fact it says.....  "Williams fits into a complimentary role Sunday after Herbert ran well against the Packers."   I think Herbert earned no less than a 50 50 split  with his performance.  

that doesnt say williams is starting at all  (only that he started the first week montgomery was out)  In fact it says.....  "Williams fits into a complimentary role Sunday after Herbert ran well against the Packers."   I think Herbert earned no less than a 50 50 split  with his performance.  
Yeah you’re right. I meant he’s playing. Not that it makes the situation much better. There is no clarity on what’s going on so who is starting and the split is up to question. I don’t even know if it’s relevant who starts and who doesn’t because you could start for one carry and then the second rb could play most of the time.

Pretty much, just went in a few leagues to pull him and realized I had no one viable to put in his place in many of them.  Got to roll him some places and while I can't see a lot of rushing production will just hope he finds the end zone or that without practicing all week Damien is smaller part of the game plan and Herbert gets just a little work in the passing game.
Two weeks ago when they were both active, Herbert sort of took over late in the 2nd quarter. He may be favored over Damien Williams regardless. To take nothing away from Tampa's run defense, but teams are not even trying. That does pad the stats. Look at the Jets vs the pass. The Bears RB(s) will get carries in this game because they're too dumb to open up their game plan with Fields*. I wouldn't expect efficiency but I think volume could be there. But DW seems the much likelier passing game option. 

*going for the reverse jinx here

I’m benching with this news. Any other matchup he’d still be startable but I'm gonna assume the will be throwing to backs and that's DW's role. Maybe next week. 

I’m hosed here. I have him in the starting lineup in a very short bench league. Only other options are:

- Start Collins who is iffy for this week

- Start Cordarelle as a RB, which would then force me to drop either Collins or Herbert (max 4RBs on roster - started Javonte and CMC on bench with no IR spot).

FFS

I’m benching with this news. Any other matchup he’d still be startable but I'm gonna assume the will be throwing to backs and that's DW's role. Maybe next week. 
I agree. I was fine giving Herbert the nod when it looked like he'd get nearly all the work, but the matchup is too poor to be splitting time in their perceived roles. I'm going to team AJ Dillon instead with Aaron Jones and just hope the Pack can have one of those games where both backs are effective.

I agree. I was fine giving Herbert the nod when it looked like he'd get nearly all the work, but the matchup is too poor to be splitting time in their perceived roles. I'm going to team AJ Dillon instead with Aaron Jones and just hope the Pack can have one of those games where both backs are effective.
I'm debating Dillon as well in one league. Like the matchup. But gonna go with backup on the other side in that game McKissic. Full ppr so hoping for negative WAS game script. Maybe works out for both of us. ;)

I'm debating Dillon as well in one league. Like the matchup. But gonna go with backup on the other side in that game McKissic. Full ppr so hoping for negative WAS game script. Maybe works out for both of us. ;)

Started him in one sat him for McKissic in another (gonna win but still)

kid is pretty legit eh

What a game. That was outstanding given the conditions and score. Everything you could have wanted but a touchdown. 15 half PPR points against Tampa is nothing to sneeze at. 

Yeah this didn't go so well. Herbert outscored both easily. Luckily I fared much better in my decision to replace Wentz as my bye week QB with Tua and got away with it. Major apologies to anyone who read this drivel. 

I really like this kid and wish he was in a spot to keep the job, like James Robinson last year. He's a helluva back.

Yeah this didn't go so well. Herbert outscored both easily. Luckily I fared much better in my decision to replace Wentz as my bye week QB with Tua and got away with it. Major apologies to anyone who read this drivel. 

I really like this kid and wish he was in a spot to keep the job, like James Robinson last year. He's a helluva back.
I mean the team can trade David Montgomery no problem if they wanted to...cheap team control next year tho 

I picked him up off waivers in each of my 3 dynasty leagues over the past few weeks when he was still 3rd on the depth chart. He’s definitely looking way up after his Bucs performance. 

that's 2 sentences to say :blackdot:

Can't believe someone dropped him right before kickoff yesterday. He'll go for a big chunk of FAAB again on Wednesday. 

This is why you can’t trust analysts and beat writers. Consensus is often wrong when everyone is guessing…

Didn’t cost me but wouldn’t surprise me if next week Damien and herbert start splitting and people write it’s because herbert had the hot hand last week or Damien wasn’t up to speed because of Covid or something.

Just don’t trust the bears organization but have no choice but to hope they have a modicum of common sense.

This is why you can’t trust analysts and beat writers. Consensus is often wrong when everyone is guessing…

Didn’t cost me but wouldn’t surprise me if next week Damien and herbert start splitting and people write it’s because herbert had the hot hand last week or Damien wasn’t up to speed because of Covid or something.

Just don’t trust the bears organization but have no choice but to hope they have a modicum of common sense.
Fantasy analysts in us KNOWS that Herbert should be the guy until Monty is hurt and should get at least 30% of the touches with D Mont back.

Real life coaching however is pretty stupid, and I wouldn't trust Nagy with anything. But I do think Damien is not in the team's future plans so why not give Herbert the rock? 

3.7 rookie pick felt like a stretch in August, but sometimes blind faith in Waldman and Cecil Lammey favorites pays off.  Realistic hopes were that he would do enough in Monty's absence to join the ranks of intriguing backup RB stashes and that I could feel justified in keeping him parked on the bench of my 24-man Dynasty.

I'm actually starting to become hopeful that a 1b (thinking Javonte Williams-esque, alternating drives) could be a thing when Monty returns.    Longer-term, higher upside, the hope is clearly that the Bears decide not to pay Montgomery.  However, I'm not going to hold my breath for anything as unlikely as the Bears dealing him before his rookie contract is up.

Shorter term, whether it's premium backup RB or 1B is probably going to depend on the pass-catching and pass-protection that makes Damien Williams (and possibly Cohen?) obsolete.   Very interested in any assessments from those who have been able to watch these games.   Of course it goes without saying that Fields and the Bears offense is going to have to get a lot better if Herbert has stand-alone value in re-draft once Montgomery is back.   Any whispers coming out of the Chicago media about this guy possibly having more to offer than David Montgomery?  Or is that drinking way too much Kool-Aid at this point? 

The Bears should just send Williams back to the Chiefs for anything. That'd work. 
I picked up Williams at the end of last season thinking he could make some noise on the Chiefs this season.   Ultimately decided that I couldn't hold him and Herbert on my dynasty bench after getting the boot from KC, but I still think he would be the best RB on that team right now, with or without a healthy CEH.

I picked up Williams at the end of last season thinking he could make some noise on the Chiefs this season.   Ultimately decided that I couldn't hold him and Herbert on my dynasty bench after getting the boot from KC, but I still think he would be the best RB on that team right now, with or without a healthy CEH.
I was surprised he didn't end up back in KC. He did a great job for them the year they beat SF. Was he expensive? Can't imagine Chicago ponied up too much considering the year Monty had. Seems like it could still work. Does KC even throw to their backs anymore?

The Bears need to let Khalil roll until Monty is back. Kid is a hell of a runner. Besides, I make dumb decisions like benching Herbert for AJ Dillon when they do things like announce Williams is back. So step it up Bears. See if KC will give you some kind of asset. Lord knows they're reeling and could use a backfield boost. Williams could do a lot more good there than get in the way of me starting Herbert.

Users who are viewing this thread