What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (4 Viewers)

Bucs signed RB Leonard Fournette to a three-year, $21 million contract. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Fournette could earn as much as $24 million with the new deal. The 27-year-old Fournette surprisingly wrangled a three-year deal out of the Bucs after serving as the team's unquestioned every-down back in 2021. With vanishingly little backfield competition, Fournette -- fantasy's fifth highest scoring running back in 2021 -- should once again see a full workload in Tom Brady's backfield. Among RBs, only Austin Ekeler and Najee Harris had a higher expected points receiving total than Lenny. Brady's return from his six-week retirement has netted a handful of valuable free agent signings, including Fournette. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 22, 2022, 8:32 AM ET

Those were likely going to be useless sooner rather than later at some point anyway. If they didn't resign Fournette it would be another veteran or a first or second round rookie RB in the mix.
It was mostly a joke haha.  

I picked him up everywhere he had been dropped just in case, but agree with everything you said.  

Wouldn't be shocked if they still took a day 2 RB. I feel like 2021 was Fournette's ceiling, and I'd be really nervous about valuing him as anything more than a low-end RB2. 

Wouldn't be shocked if they still took a day 2 RB. I feel like 2021 was Fournette's ceiling, and I'd be really nervous about valuing him as anything more than a low-end RB2. 
I agree with this and don't know if I'd trust him to stay motivated after back to back humbling free agency periods.

I agree with this and don't know if I'd trust him to stay motivated after back to back humbling free agency periods.
Yea that’s definitely a thing. I suspect he figured if he was awesome in 2021 (and he pretty much was) that he’d go and get a huge payday. From the outside it doesn’t seem like his agent kept his expectations in check. So we’ll see how he reacts but he’s also a proud player and I can’t see him intentionally or unintentionally letting Brady down either. 

Yea that’s definitely a thing. I suspect he figured if he was awesome in 2021 (and he pretty much was) that he’d go and get a huge payday. From the outside it doesn’t seem like his agent kept his expectations in check. So we’ll see how he reacts but he’s also a proud player and I can’t see him intentionally or unintentionally letting Brady down either. 
It's only nine million guaranteed, I'm hearing. It's a fool's errand for someone like me to try and figure out what motivates these guys, so I'll only post that the guarantee seems like an awfully small amount compared to what he might have been expecting. 

There is such a glut at that position. He actually looked great last year. People are too quick to write this guy off or think that Tampa will use a higher-round pick on a back. I think it's Day Three tops unless Brady wants somebody like James Cook.

Regardless of any draft pick they use on a RB, Fournette finally was in a situation where he could start on a good team that let him attempt to thrive in all aspects of the game, and he looked awesome. Whether age catches up with him is another issue, but I think it's a perfect fit.

For now. 

Had a hunch this would happen. I was half-heartedly attempting to get a share of Vaughn, but I’m now glad my advances were rejected. 

I just keep hating the Bucs more and more and hope they lose many, many games this year. 

Dr. Octopus said:
Those were likely going to be useless sooner rather than later at some point anyway. If they didn't resign Fournette it would be another veteran or a first or second round rookie RB in the mix.
I wonder what happens if Jones is signed elsewhere. I am assuming he will because I really think Arians hates him. I know he has been vocal about it but I think it is worse than that. Anyway I wonder if Vaughn could survive the draft as a handcuff. 

I wonder what happens if Jones is signed elsewhere. I am assuming he will because I really think Arians hates him. I know he has been vocal about it but I think it is worse than that. Anyway I wonder if Vaughn could survive the draft as a handcuff. 
I can’t say it’s not possible - my guess is they’d draft a RB somewhere. There’s still some free agents out there as well. It doesn’t seem like Arians has been a big fan, and if Brady was he’d be on the field. 

Arians just called Vaughn "a three-down back" at the end of this year. He pumped his tires something fierce when Fournette was out with his hammy. How much of that was disgust with Jones is something for the coach whisperer to determine, but he was heaping praise on Vaughn this year. 

That doesn't mean #### from shinola, however. 

One of the more OL dependent RB with his average at best short area burst and change of direction skills. TB OL is very concerning 
Why? 

Marpet retired, but they traded for Shaq Mason who is one of the best run blocking guards in the game. They lost Cappa but have Stinnie, who was invisible when he filled in, which is a good thing. Could, and likely will, spend an early pick at guard.

Smith, Jensen, and Wirfs all still there. 

Assuming Gronk re-signs, Fournette running right over Mason and Wirfs with Gronk sealing the EDGE is a nightmare for defenses. 

Why? 

Marpet retired, but they traded for Shaq Mason who is one of the best run blocking guards in the game. They lost Cappa but have Stinnie, who was invisible when he filled in, which is a good thing. Could, and likely will, spend an early pick at guard.

Smith, Jensen, and Wirfs all still there. 

Assuming Gronk re-signs, Fournette running right over Mason and Wirfs with Gronk sealing the EDGE is a nightmare for defenses. 
On top of all of this, he has the potential to catch 80 balls.

LEONARD FOURNETTE RB, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud believes the Bucs will commit to running the ball more under new head coach Todd Bowles. 

Bowles took over as head coach this week after Bruce Arians took a front office position with the Bucs -- a move Arians claims was not forced by Tom Brady. Establishing the run would certainly be a new development for the Brady-led Bucs, who had the second highest pass rate over expected in 2021. Tampa had the league's highest neutral pass rate last year and the fourth highest in 2020, profiling as one of the few NFL teams that would continue to throw the ball while leading. Of course, the Bucs could be a few Brady audibles away from continuing their pass-heavy ways. More running would likely benefit Leonard Fournette after he re-signed with Tampa and is expected to remain the team's lead back. He has little competition for carries. 

RELATED: 

Tom Brady

, Mike Evans

, Chris Godwin

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Apr 1, 2022, 8:48 AM ET

Arians just called Vaughn "a three-down back" at the end of this year. He pumped his tires something fierce when Fournette was out with his hammy. How much of that was disgust with Jones is something for the coach whisperer to determine, but he was heaping praise on Vaughn this year. 

That doesn't mean #### from shinola, however. 
Yeah Vaughn flashed towards the end of the year as well and I also noticed that Arians pumped up Vaughn. But yeah doesn't necessarily mean anything. Just to get backup work.

Yeah Vaughn flashed towards the end of the year as well and I also noticed that Arians pumped up Vaughn. But yeah doesn't necessarily mean anything. Just to get backup work.
I wasn’t impressed with Vaughn at any point last year. 

Bucs just re-signed Bernard, and hearing talk that the Bucs might take a RB in the draft…feels like Vaughn’s stock might be dropping a little. 

I wasn’t impressed with Vaughn at any point last year. 

Bucs just re-signed Bernard, and hearing talk that the Bucs might take a RB in the draft…feels like Vaughn’s stock might be dropping a little. 
He looked pretty good to me when he got run at the end of the year. It was limited of course. And yeah I know there is chatter about them taking a RB but I just don't believe they take one on day 1 or day 2. I think they are all in with LF as the bellcow and they will draft someone for depth and upside (because everyone needs RBs) and whoever that person is will compete with Vaughn. But I am hopeful he has the inside track in such a scenario. But I mean...so what if I end up right? It is still just a handcuff at best. And yes Gio can still make plays and will get some run as well. I have Vaughn in a couple spots where I need warm bodies at RB and am looking for some small value spike (after he theoretically survives the draft). He really is hanging on a couple of my rosters by the slimmest of hairs, but fundamentally Jones II leaving town helped him. His stock definitely got higher (even if it ends up being a mirage) but is still dirt cheap. He is available in the FA pool in 12/16 of my SF leagues after cutdown last night. I roster him in 1 of those remaining 4. Only available in 1/8 single-QB leagues, but that is because I have him in 3 of those other 7. @NE_REVIVALhas him in our SharkPool league.

Anyway yeah not a ton of upside unless he actually is the hand cuff and something happens with LF. There may be a decent little floor as a desperation RB play inseason, though. *If* he survives the draft.

Bucs RBs coach Todd McNair said Leonard Fournette ad-libs his routes at times and can end up in the wrong place.

"He's got a feel for getting open sometimes, and he’s got a habit for ad-libbing and that can get him in trouble. Doing the wrong thing at the wrong time," McNair said. “He ends up in the wrong place a lot. There’s a plus and minus. But him and Tom [Brady] are comfortable together." Fournette was clearly the best option in the passing game last season, and he likely will get a lot of that work again this year -- OC Byron Leftwich said it is "really hard to get him off the field" because of the connection he and Brady have. However, third-round rookie Rachaad White, who caught 43 passes for 456 yards as a senior at ASU, profiles as a strong option on passing downs and could push the veteran for work. If White is able to carve out a role, it will hurt Fournette's fantasy ceiling. 

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

May 14, 2022, 9:57 AM ET

The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud reports Leonard Fournette "seemed to be a little heavy and struggled some in the heat" at the first day of Bucs minicamp. 

Fournette, 27, skipped voluntary OTAs and showed up for Tampa's mandatory minicamp heftier than he was at the end of the 2021 season. He admitted as much and said he always trims down during the summer. Stroud said Fournette dropped a few passes during his first minicamp session, a somewhat concerning sign for a running back with a history of drops. Uncle Lenny has a few months to get into fighting shape before the Bucs take on the Cowboys in Week 1. Meanwhile, rookie RB Rachaad White -- who has made no secret about his desire to start in Tom Brady's backfield -- lurks into the wings. 

RELATED: 

Rachaad White

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Jun 7, 2022, 10:55 AM ET

Tom Brady likes Leonard Fournette...

“At this time, I was a free agent, so I didn’t know if I was going to return to the Bucs or not — future was uncertain,” Fournette said on “The Rich Eisen Show.” “So, I just went around shopping, you know, see what teams had in store for me. When I went up to New England, he texted me. He was like, ‘Man, what’s your ### doing up there?’ I said, ‘Man, just shopping around, seeing what’s good for me, trying to see what’s available for myself to provide for my family.’ He was like, ‘Man, I’ll call you back. I’ll call you back.’ Next thing you know, Tampa calls me with an offer.”

Funny thing is...saw this topic at the top.  Was going to comment on the fact that I thought he was the most likely NFL player to show up out-of-shape for TC.  Low and behold, real life beat me to it.

I view this as a non-story. Maybe even an opportunity to buy low. It doesn't really matter if the coaches are unhappy with him. He's Brady's guy and he is calling the shots. Fournette has plenty of time to get into game shape, and he's already contesting the 260 weight number. With Evans being the only established pass catcher that will be ready to start the season I think Fournette will be heavily involved in the passing game. 

I view this as a non-story. Maybe even an opportunity to buy low. It doesn't really matter if the coaches are unhappy with him. He's Brady's guy and he is calling the shots. Fournette has plenty of time to get into game shape, and he's already contesting the 260 weight number. With Evans being the only established pass catcher that will be ready to start the season I think Fournette will be heavily involved in the passing game. 
I'm inclined to agree, but it's worth paying attention to. It's odd for a team to call out a player like that without a basis in fact. Usually public shaming is a tactic to get the player motivated to lose weight. 

Also reportedly, he was wearing a girdle at practice to get his boiler tucked in.

You can see the outline of it in this pic.

I know a lot of players come into camp heavy so when they do shed lbs in workouts they're back to their playing weight. But ~30 lbs overweight is more than just a little pudge. 

So while I agree it's likely not terribly relevant, and I will draft as a relative bargain at his ADP (and hopefully this tanks it a little), it's definitely worth monitoring up until redraft season is here.  If we get to mid-August and he's still looking festively plump, I may pass on him. 

Yes - these guys drop a lot of weight during 90 degree days of training camp. This will be a non-story come Week 1.
Brady stood on the table for the team to bring him back - he’s one of the few bell-cow backs in the league right now. 

I'm inclined to agree, but it's worth paying attention to. It's odd for a team to call out a player like that without a basis in fact. Usually public shaming is a tactic to get the player motivated to lose weight. 

Also reportedly, he was wearing a girdle at practice to get his boiler tucked in.

You can see the outline of it in this pic.

I know a lot of players come into camp heavy so when they do shed lbs in workouts they're back to their playing weight. But ~30 lbs overweight is more than just a little pudge. 

So while I agree it's likely not terribly relevant, and I will draft as a relative bargain at his ADP (and hopefully this tanks it a little), it's definitely worth monitoring up until redraft season is here.  If we get to mid-August and he's still looking festively plump, I may pass on him. 
I haven't actually seen anywhere that the coaches called him out. At least not publicly. This whole story is a result of a Tampa Bay Times reporter saying this on his podcast. If this was Bowles or Arians openly criticizing Fournette that might be a different thing but this just feels like empty camp updates in a slow news week.  

I haven't actually seen anywhere that the coaches called him out. At least not publicly. This whole story is a result of a Tampa Bay Times reporter saying this on his podcast. If this was Bowles or Arians openly criticizing Fournette that might be a different thing but this just feels like empty camp updates in a slow news week.  
The article I pulled that pic from cited coaches.

"Coaches were not happy, and that’s an understatement, when he didn’t participate in the OTAs, but then he shows up at the mandatory minicamp weighing damn near 260. And that’s not a good sign for a guy that you just spent a three-year contract on," Stroud explained on his podcast, according to the New York Post”

While again, I agree it’s not *that* big a deal, it would be pretty ballsy/risky for Stroud to cite TB coaches if he didn’t actually get that from coaches. 

What people are also missing is that those reports were from OTAs/mini-camp, not training camp. If he's still 260 pounds for the start of camp, maybe that will then be an issue. Right now the only reason it's even a story is because of the "funny" memes that call him Eddie Lacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leonard Fournette’s sauna strategy for weight loss isn’t a wise one

...Sweating off the weight by sitting in a sauna leads to dehydration, which can lead to cramps while performing — and other problems.

Long-time NFL athletic trainer Mike Ryan, now the Sports Medicine Analyst for Sunday Night Football, shared his thoughts on the matter via text message.

“Sitting in a hot sauna may result in a lower number on the scale but it’s simply from water loss,” Ryan said. “In doing so, dehydration from this weight-loss game plan puts the athlete at a higher risk of exertional heat illness.  

“High-performance athletes needing to lose weight are better served by prolonged exposure to hot-weather training while being well hydrated.  I’ve witnessed plenty of NFL players shortcut the safe method to reach their training camp weight, and it often impairs both their safety and performance.”

Users who are viewing this thread