What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (10 Viewers)

Remember, we have certified eye test talent evaluators here telling us Bell is better.  Those opinions are more meaningful than the DC of Pittsburgh's #1 rival.

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Wink Martindale isn't breathing a sigh of relief from the fact that Pro Bowl running back Le'Veon Bell has yet to report to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"There are a lot of stats [since 2015] that the Steelers are actually better without him," Martindale said Thursday. "That might be why he's riding a jet-ski down in Miami right now."
The Steelers offered Bell $15MM to play this season. It was Bell's choice to jet-ski in Miami instead.

still scanning for the BIG RED TYPE that says Bell has reported but it looks like we just have 10 more pages of the same back and forth. :)

tjnc09 said:
Remember, we have certified eye test talent evaluators here telling us Bell is better.  Those opinions are more meaningful than the DC of Pittsburgh's #1 rival.

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Wink Martindale isn't breathing a sigh of relief from the fact that Pro Bowl running back Le'Veon Bell has yet to report to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"There are a lot of stats [since 2015] that the Steelers are actually better without him," Martindale said Thursday. "That might be why he's riding a jet-ski down in Miami right now."
Remember, we have had over 50 media members whose job it is to evaluate NFL players tell us TWICE that Bell is one of the top RBs in the NFL.  Their opinions are more important than a DC who wouldn’t want to give his opponents bulletin board material. 

There are two stats since Bells rookie year thay tell us he’s a top RB: Two-time 1st team All-Pro.

True, but at least now we know you care.
I own him in 1 dynasty league, so I definitely care.

But breaking down, and re-breaking down, and re-re-re-breaking down the legal terms of franchise tagging and what his motivations may or may not be....well, not for me.

I just hope one of these posts is Breaking News that he has finally reported to the team.

I own him in 1 dynasty league, so I definitely care.

But breaking down, and re-breaking down, and re-re-re-breaking down the legal terms of franchise tagging and what his motivations may or may not be....well, not for me.

I just hope one of these posts is Breaking News that he has finally reported to the team.
The main update is that he didn't report before the trade deadline.  And if you own him in fantasy, that was a HUGE deal.  If he got traded you had a possible stud on your roster for the playoff run.  

As of now there's little chance that happens and he's totally screwed your fantasy season because: (1) He never reports, or (2) When he does report the Steelers do everything they can to limit his involvement with the team, including using the two-game exemption on him. The Steelers have moved on.

The main update is that he didn't report before the trade deadline.  And if you own him in fantasy, that was a HUGE deal.  If he got traded you had a possible stud on your roster for the playoff run.  

As of now there's little chance that happens and he's totally screwed your fantasy season because: (1) He never reports, or (2) When he does report the Steelers do everything they can to limit his involvement with the team, including using the two-game exemption on him. The Steelers have moved on.
I like this for 2 reasons:

1) in the dynasty league where I own Bell, I'm already in last place (my WRs fell apart this year in addition to Bell reducing  my chances of fielding a top team this year)

2) in one redraft league, I own Connor.

so I have 2 reasons to hope that Bell doesn't play much/at all this year.

thanks for the summary. Good man. :)

Remember, we have had over 50 media members whose job it is to evaluate NFL players tell us TWICE that Bell is one of the top RBs in the NFL.  Their opinions are more important than a DC who wouldn’t want to give his opponents bulletin board material. 

There are two stats since Bells rookie year thay tell us he’s a top RB: Two-time 1st team All-Pro.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  you seriously said media members 

I almost hate to jump in here with, you know, an actual fantasy question, but hey.

Anyone have any thoughts on his redraft value at this point? Just gave Chubb for Bell (plus Fitzmagic, basically a throw-in) in a 2-QB full-PPR 10-teamer. Not sure I'd do this deal in a vacuum*, but Chubb's my RB5 and as a 6-2 Conner owner, the safety of (in theory) having the PIT backfield locked up for the stretch run is more appealing than the chance of Chubb hitting his ceiling in that offense.

* - FP consensus has them back-to-back at RB32/33 ROS. That seems pretty low on Chubb to me.

I almost hate to jump in here with, you know, an actual fantasy question, but hey.

Anyone have any thoughts on his redraft value at this point? Just gave Chubb for Bell (plus Fitzmagic, basically a throw-in) in a 2-QB full-PPR 10-teamer. Not sure I'd do this deal in a vacuum*, but Chubb's my RB5 and as a 6-2 Conner owner, the safety of (in theory) having the PIT backfield locked up for the stretch run is more appealing than the chance of Chubb hitting his ceiling in that offense.

* - FP consensus has them back-to-back at RB32/33 ROS. That seems pretty low on Chubb to me.
I get the logic, but ultimately I think you're gonna be disappointed in the end.  Yea i'm biased, but CLE isn't going to fold.  Williams has his issues let's just say, but he is a motivator of men.  That's proven.  Where this team & O goes with Freddie calling plays remains to be seen.  I'm actually optimistic it will get better b/c EVERYONE in CLE (coaches et al) is playing for their next deal, wherever that may be.  At least now the staff has their "roles".  Williams D, Freddie O.  No more internal BS like playing Gordon when he was allegedly benched.

Maybe Bell just wanted a year vacay to hang in south beach and smoke some chronic. 

Has anyone tried to hold out on the Rooneys and won? 

I was offered Bell for Chubb in redraft about two weeks ago and passed. But I’m in a different situation at 4-4 (3-4 at the time) I just can’t give up any weeks at this point. In your situation it makes much more sense.

I was offered Bell for Chubb in redraft about two weeks ago and passed. But I’m in a different situation at 4-4 (3-4 at the time) I just can’t give up any weeks at this point. In your situation it makes much more sense.
Well done. i don't get why anyone wants this mess on their roster.  Not to mention Conner is out performing his #s.   Bet he and his agent didn't see that coming...  For those of you praying for a playoff run GL.  

It's obvious no
The argument that a player in the Super Bowl would give his all is more compelling than an argument a player in the Super Bowl wouldn't.

If he is in the game, he will be all in.  If he isn't all in, he will sit it out.

It is looking like Bell might have overplayed his hand.
I don't think he was caring if he got traded.  Wouldn't be relevant to his strategy.  Not like a team trading for him could sign him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we think he'd be a good backup to Conner if he comes back?

I think we'd all be banking on a Conner injury, and then maybe this kid will get a chance... :)

If I were the Steelers there is no way I would allow him on the field this year. Between his attitude and the way Conner has performed there is no need for his services.

Yeah as a Steelers fan, I'm kind of hoping that if/when Bell comes back, he's firmly planted on the bench as the clear backup.  There is no way in hell I'm breaking up the chemistry that this offense has.  We have no idea what kind of shape Bell is in and at this point I don't think anyone can say with clarity that he's even the more talented back.  Conner is a stud.  That much I know.  

I think at this point it's safe to say that you've (and bojang) won this debate.  I will be pissed if Bell is even getting 30% of the share when he returns.
I actually think both are pretty damn good. I do think Bell regressed last year on the ground and it was roundly ignored. He’d be pretty good in Houston. All I was ever asking for was clarity as to whether Conner was on par with Bell or both were system backs. I’m guessing Conner’s value is now on par or higher than Bell’s in dynasty and Bell is probably more fair value especially seeing is ‘18 outlook is still highly questionable at best. Steelers could still use him if he comes back. Conner has had a tremendous workload which is always worrisome for backs come playoff time and were only halfway through the NFL season even though were way past halftime in fantasy.

I actually think both are pretty damn good. I do think Bell regressed last year on the ground and it was roundly ignored. He’d be pretty good in Houston. All I was ever asking for was clarity as to whether Conner was on par with Bell or both were system backs. I’m guessing Conner’s value is now on par or higher than Bell’s in dynasty and Bell is probably more fair value especially seeing is ‘18 outlook is still highly questionable at best. Steelers could still use him if he comes back. Conner has had a tremendous workload which is always worrisome for backs come playoff time and were only halfway through the NFL season even though were way past halftime in fantasy.
Oh don't get me wrong.  I'm of the mindset that it's a GREAT thing for the Steelers if Bell comes back and is motivated to contribute.  I think Conner should be getting the majority of the work but it would be an absolute luxury to have Bell as an option.  It wasn't too long ago when the Steelers were forced to start Fitzgerald Touissant in a playoff game.

Oh don't get me wrong.  I'm of the mindset that it's a GREAT thing for the Steelers if Bell comes back and is motivated to contribute.  I think Conner should be getting the majority of the work but it would be an absolute luxury to have Bell as an option.  It wasn't too long ago when the Steelers were forced to start Fitzgerald Touissant in a playoff game.
:X

I think at this point it's safe to say that you've (and bojang) won this debate.  I will be pissed if Bell is even getting 30% of the share when he returns.
The Bell guys only support has been their eye test.  It's the most hilarious thing I have ever seen.  

Steelers have always had a very good OL while Bell has been around. When he goes to another team, say the jets and the OL is not as good, will his hesitation style of running work? As an owner, I'm not excited about his future anywhere else. 

He would probably start slow, replace Jaylen Samuels, and get maybe 15-20% of the snaps. If he performs well, or Conner gets injured, that possibly increases.

At this point, I think he holds out all season. He has 8 days to sign, and I just don't see it happening. I think he realizes that he wouldn't be the main guy anymore if he came back, and he doesn't want to show other teams that side by side comparison. If he comes back and averages 2 ypc and Conner averages 8, that kills his value going into the offseason. If all he cares about is the $$ then he'll hold out all season.

And if the Steelers are smart they'll Franchise him again, and then say, "Hey, go make a trade." Then other teams could trade for and sign him and we could recoup the 3rd, and still sign FAs. The worry is that if we just let him walk, and sign free agents, we won't get a comp pick. 

He should fire his agent 
In retrospect ... wasn't it kind of obvious that this plan wasn't going to work out? The Bell camp was THAT certain Conner would schmidt the bed? The contract Bell wants** ... that's a virtual impossibility this next offseason, isn't it?

** I don't even really know what Bell's magic guaranteed-money figure is to feel like he won his holdout. $30 million? More?

In retrospect ... wasn't it kind of obvious that this plan wasn't going to work out? The Bell camp was THAT certain Conner would schmidt the bed? The contract Bell wants** ... that's a virtual impossibility this next offseason, isn't it?

** I don't even really know what Bell's magic guaranteed-money figure is to feel like he won his holdout. $30 million? More?

I think his dream scenario was unlikely even IF Conner sucked.   Who's paying him?  Not many teams have that cash.

Browns? They just drafted Chubb, I doubt they go crazy for another RB.

Jets?  Might be his best shot for big $$, their offense is putrid, getting Bell as a weapon to take pressure off Darnold would help.

Raiders?  He'd make sense, but if they wanted a star with big $$, they'd have kept Mack.  

And if the Steelers are smart they'll Franchise him again, and then say, "Hey, go make a trade." Then other teams could trade for and sign him and we could recoup the 3rd, and still sign FAs. The worry is that if we just let him walk, and sign free agents, we won't get a comp pick. 
If they trade him, I don't think they would get a comp pick, just whatever they get in the trade. I don't know this for a fact, but wouldn't make sense for them to trade him and still get a comp pick.

They didn't receive one call about him leading up to the deadline, I can't imagine it would all of a sudden start ringing in the offseason, when free agents and draft is available. I would vote for letting him walk, hope for a comp pick, and use that money on other free agents, or to pay Ben or Conner.

The Bell guys only support has been their eye test.  It's the most hilarious thing I have ever seen.  
Then you need to watch more Steelers football. I'm not a Bell guy or a Conner guy, I'm a Steelers guy and I see it for what it is. Loved Bell when he was playing and I've loved Conner since his early days at Pitt.

Conner is every bit as good as a runner, probably better between the tackles, which fits the Steelers offense very, very well because of how strong they are outside.  Bell is undoubtedly a more versatile and even better receiver, but that also led to him getting more attention from defenses AS a receiver. Conner is tremendous as a safety valve or catching dump-offs, but Bell was talented enough to split out wide or in the slot to run WR routes. The offense was run differently and defenses attacked it differently, too.

Conner's skillset may fit what the Steelers need more than Bell's right now simply because of how good AB and JuJu are. Having the better inside running game matters more than having another receiving option, although Bell's receiving skills out of the slot would've been a nice compliment if the Steelers had both Conner and Bell on the field together.

The thing I'm loving about Conner is that he's looking stronger and more comfortable each week. He's not a special talent, but he's a very good one in a perfect situation.

Bell really screwed this up for himself.

If they trade him, I don't think they would get a comp pick, just whatever they get in the trade. I don't know this for a fact, but wouldn't make sense for them to trade him and still get a comp pick.

They didn't receive one call about him leading up to the deadline, I can't imagine it would all of a sudden start ringing in the offseason, when free agents and draft is available. I would vote for letting him walk, hope for a comp pick, and use that money on other free agents, or to pay Ben or Conner.
The difference is that if the Steelers tag him and want to trade him, it presumably will be at a time when the team trading for him can sign him to a long term contract. No teams called at the deadline because they'd be in the same situation as the Steelers are in - they'd have a talented RB who they can't sign and they can't trust because his focus isn't on 2018.

I believe the Steelers should do that, because neither the Steelers or Bell would want to waste another year, but the Steelers should do what they can to get the most compensation possible for him when he leaves. Bell would sign the tender and get traded to a team willing to give him a big contract, because that's the only way he'd be able to get one at that point.

Guess some of the speculation will be over by tomorrow... pre-game show noted last night that if Bell doesn't report by this Tuesday he'll have blown his shot at free agency.

I don't think he can be franchised again.  Isn't there a 2 year limit?  Or is it just that the 3rd year franchise is so ridiculously expensive no one ever does it?

Users who are viewing this thread