What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Matchups to Exploit/Avoid Week 1 (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Forget about the top10-15 RB, you're going to play them unless you have unreal depth via a dynasty league or something. Let's look at 15-30 on the board or so.

Exploit

Jamal Lewis: Should be able to run on the Colts defense. 100 total yds and 1 TD. Not in game shape from reports but Indy still gets ripped against the run. Boller will not be passing the ball all over the place.

Mike Anderson: Miami could not stop the run very well last year. I see Anderson doing well in this game as Denver will try to force Miami to respect the pass which will in turn open holes for Anderson.

Fred Taylor: Should see a lot of carries in a fairly tight game. Catches the ball well out of the backfiled, expect to see a 125 total yd performance out of Freddie.

Kevan Barlow: Should be a lot of points scored in this one. Some fear SF will have to pass because they will be behind, I see it differently with Barlow having some opps against a St Louis team that gave up plenty on the ground last season.

Avoid

JJ Arington: Struggled so far, I see the Giants ganging up against him on the ground.

Cadillac Williams: Griese will need to pass a lot to keep the Bucs in this game. Minnesota will be good against the run this season. Williams is going to have a good season, just might get of to a little bit of a rough start.

Chris Brown: Going to be rough against the Steelers. If you have to play him he has looked good in the preseason but I don't like any RB against the Steelers who have looked like beasts in the preseason.

Ronnie Brown: Basically all rookies.

Thomas Jones/Cedric Benson: Washington defense is going to be reved up for this one. Neither will have good days against the Skins.

Your thought and comments? I excluded all top tier RB because you really must start top10-15 RB in the beginning of the season...you drafted them in the 1st and 2nd round for a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
you think mn will be good against the run? they looked like the same old D in the preseason. i know its only preseason and they did add some key players, but i think i'm going to take my chances with caddy... i still dont like their LB's. i have westbrook and foster on the bench.

you think mn will be good against the run? they looked like the same old D in the preseason. i know its only preseason and they did add some key players, but i think i'm going to take my chances with caddy... i still dont like their LB's. i have westbrook and foster on the bench.
I like Westbrook better week 1.

Unfortunately, because I'm going against him, I think Steven Jackson has a very nice matchup against San Fran.I'm tempted to start Freddie Taylor over the Edge (vs. BAL), but I don't think I can sit the Edge... ever.

I like the following match-ups as well:Dillon (NE) vs Oakland - Oakland ranked 22nd against the run last year.R. Johnson (Cin) vs Cleveland - Cleveland was dead last against run last year.T. Barber (NYG) vs ArizonaA. Green (GB) vs DetroitS. Davis / D. Foster (Car) vs New Orleans - Whoever gets the rock will go big.JMO

Forget about the top10-15 RB, you're going to play them unless you have unreal depth via a dynasty league or something. Let's look at 15-30 on the board or so.

Exploit

Jamal Lewis: Should be able to run on the Colts defense. 100 total yds and 1 TD. Not in game shape from reports but Indy still gets ripped against the run. Boller will not be passing the ball all over the place.

Mike Anderson: Miami could not stop the run very well last year. I see Anderson doing well in this game as Denver will try to force Miami to respect the pass which will in turn open holes for Anderson.

Fred Taylor: Should see a lot of carries in a fairly tight game. Catches the ball well out of the backfiled, expect to see a 125 total yd performance out of Freddie.

Kevan Barlow: Should be a lot of points scored in this one. Some fear SF will have to pass because they will be behind, I see it differently with Barlow having some opps against a St Louis team that gave up plenty on the ground last season.

Avoid

JJ Arington: Struggled so far, I see the Giants ganging up against him on the ground.

Cadillac Williams: Griese will need to pass a lot to keep the Bucs in this game. Minnesota will be good against the run this season. Williams is going to have a good season, just might get of to a little bit of a rough start.

Chris Brown: Going to be rough against the Steelers. If you have to play him he has looked good in the preseason but I don't like any RB against the Steelers who have looked like beasts in the preseason.

Thomas Jones/Cedric Benson: Washington defense is going to be reved up for this one. Neither will have good days against the Skins.

Your thought and comments? I excluded all top tier RB because you really must start top10-15 RB in the beginning of the season...you drafted them in the 1st and 2nd round for a reason.
Lewis: agreed as long as he doesnt ding the ankle. if so, taylor goes off on everyone's bench. Anderson: alllllll day baybee... may be the #1 fantasy RB this week.

Taylor: hrrrm. will he be capped at 20 touches? he was already getting pulled at the GL last year, and pearman is probably one of the best pass catching RBs in the league. im not sure about this one.

Barlow: well, the good news is that newberry's knee held up, and the line may actually be serviceable. the bad news is he still plays for the 49ers. great flex, not so sure at RB2.

Arrington: agreed - line is yet to gel and he hasnt looked good.

Caddy: agreed - line is in horrendous shape, pittman will get touches, and minny could well jump out to a lead, rendering the running game an afterthought.

Brown: he does have the speed to run on the steelers, he could break a long one or two, but overall, with henry being healthy enough to play, i agree - flex material, but not RB2 material.

Brown: basically all dolphins.

Bears RBs: split + top rush D = sit em.

Wow..no way I bench Westy for Caddy

I agree with your Anderson assment but do you think he he warrents a starting spot over EDGE vs BALT?I see that as a match-up to try and avoi but is hard to bench someone like edge.

I agree with your Anderson assment but do you think he he warrents a starting spot over EDGE vs BALT?

I see that as a match-up to try and avoi but is hard to bench someone like edge.
2 posters now with reservations about Edge...I wouldn't sit him. Unless you have Mike Anderson as your 3rd RB..than maybe.

Exploit

Avoid

Lewis: agreed as long as he doesnt ding the ankle. if so, taylor goes off on everyone's bench. Anderson: alllllll day baybee... may be the #1 fantasy RB this week.

Taylor: hrrrm. will he be capped at 20 touches? he was already getting pulled at the GL last year, and pearman is probably one of the best pass catching RBs in the league. im not sure about this one.

Barlow: well, the good news is that newberry's knee held up, and the line may actually be serviceable. the bad news is he still plays for the 49ers. great flex, not so sure at RB2.

Arrington: agreed - line is yet to gel and he hasnt looked good.

Caddy: agreed - line is in horrendous shape, pittman will get touches, and minny could well jump out to a lead, rendering the running game an afterthought.

Brown: he does have the speed to run on the steelers, he could break a long one or two, but overall, with henry being healthy enough to play, i agree - flex material, but not RB2 material.

Brown: basically all dolphins.

Bears RBs: split + top rush D = sit em.
:goodposting: Would hate to be swimming around in your pool/league.

I agree with your Anderson assment but do you think he he warrents a starting spot over EDGE vs BALT?

I see that as a match-up to try and avoi but is hard to bench someone like edge.
2 posters now with reservations about Edge...I wouldn't sit him. Unless you have Mike Anderson as your 3rd RB..than maybe.
haha...so what would you honestly do. Anoher factor is that Edge is playing Sunday night so I could watch him play, which actually means something as it adds to the intesity and gives me a full day of football. I have no reservations about edge this year i think he will be top 3 this year but BAlt Defense looks good and Anderson is money.

anderson owner here (diff. league than sig.):have my choice of the 3,willis vs. houston*dom vs. buffalomike.a. vs. miami*guess im not the only one. go mike.-biz-

haha...so what would you honestly do. Anoher factor is that Edge is playing Sunday night so I could watch him play, which actually means something as it adds to the intesity and gives me a full day of football. I have no reservations about edge this year i think he will be top 3 this year but BAlt Defense looks good and Anderson is money.
In theory Anderson would seem to be a better play...however we have a lot more game to go on with Edge...I'd start the top3 guy. If Anderson has a good game than you have something for next week.Of course this is not just solely to your roster but all people, right? We don't want to start the AC forum in here. I think if you have a stud in front of Anderson you play the stud in week 1.

Sharks that want to outsmart themselves will play Anderson ahead of Edge and other studs...I stick with the frontline RB.

folks, mike anderson is the undisputed starting RB for the broncos and is in top form. i just dont know how you sit him, unless its for LT and Priest.

anderson owner here (diff. league than sig.):

have my choice of the 3,

willis vs. houston*

dom vs. buffalo

mike.a. vs. miami*

guess im not the only one. go mike.

-biz-
Again, I want to try and stay away from the AC type threads. But what on Earth would make you not start McGahee? DD I would sit against the Bills.

FAST Willie Parker.  Exploit him all day Sunday.
Good point. Thnak you for adding him. Is Deuce a threat to get any carries?
Duce, is not going to get any carries dont worry about that one.Also Dillon could have the best week of all rb's and he doesn't even play on Sunday.

I dont particularly like Mike Anderson against MIA. We saw what the FL heat can do to the DEN running game last year in the TB and JAX games. Id call it a "neutral' matchup rather than an "exploit".

I dont particularly like Mike Anderson against MIA. We saw what the FL heat can do to the DEN running game last year in the TB and JAX games.

Id call it a "neutral' matchup rather than an "exploit".
I see the MA matchup as neutral as well.

Thinking of starting fast wille over dunn. Has anyone really addressed whether parker is receiving threat? I like dunn's versatility and am wondering if parker is as well.

I think Cadillac is nuetral. Yeah Minnesota has good DTs but they have no linebackers so all Cadillac has to do is get throught the DTs and he can bust a few long runs. Plus I think Gruden wants to show off his new toy in Week 1. Right now Im starting him over Parker vs. Tenn.

we start 3 RB's.... Jamal vs Indy -- no questionAnderson vs Miami -- hell yeahAnd i want to start W.Parker over Edge, but don't think i can actually bring myself to do it, but the matchup vs. Tennesse is soooooo tempting...

I think Cadillac is nuetral. Yeah Minnesota has good DTs but they have no linebackers so all Cadillac has to do is get throught the DTs and he can bust a few long runs. Plus I think Gruden wants to show off his new toy in Week 1. Right now Im starting him over Parker vs. Tenn.
Good to see differences of opinion. If you like Caddy I am not going to try and stop you but I think he is in for a shock his 1st week in the NFL. He'll be fine but it may take a game or 2 to get adjusted.

have my choice of the 3,

willis vs. houston*

dom vs. buffalo

mike.a. vs. miami*

guess im not the only one.  go mike.

-biz-
Again, I want to try and stay away from the AC type threads. But what on Earth would make you not start McGahee? DD I would sit against the Bills.
my bad. only posted the roster to draw comparison to others sitting top 15 RB.actually, dom is who im sitting. the stars represent my choices, so far.

-biz-

I am starting Shaun Alexander and thinking of going with MA over Deuce McAllister. I hate to bench Deuce, but against a tough Carolina D and the first game since Katrina, I just think the better play is MA.

have my choice of the 3,

willis vs. houston*

dom vs. buffalo

mike.a. vs. miami*

guess im not the only one.  go mike.

-biz-
my bad. only posted the roster to draw comparison to others sitting top 15 RB.actually, dom is who im sitting. the stars represent my choices, so far.

-biz-
"You chose wisely"

I am starting Shaun Alexander and thinking of going with MA over Deuce McAllister. I hate to bench Deuce, but against a tough Carolina D and the first game since Katrina, I just think the better play is MA.
Deuce will get a lot of carries and catches...would not be benching him for MA.

64 User(s) are reading this topic (25 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

39 Members: Ministry of Pain, shadyridr, bizkliz, StackTheLine, bluenote, Quasimoto, Art Vandalay, GATOR HATER, Jahx, jbz, firecrackerfreakshow, CrazyCracker007, ltaylor, TecmoGamer, Jim Otto, mosesberg, PACKER 7, bigfeet_88, Ron the Don, Norseman, ShaneFalco, kwille, GCP, Traders2001, PennOaks, glumpy, Mcmm, sbonomo, the Kid, Big K, Master Shake, Boarhogz, beaglemac, Mr. Anonymous, Bonzai, starnes13, rzrback77, stedman, Brodie8307

Lot of people viewing that are guests..c'mon guys, sign in and join in the debate/discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting Shaun Alexander and thinking of going with MA over Deuce McAllister.  I hate to bench Deuce, but against a tough Carolina D and the first game since Katrina, I just think the better play is MA.
Deuce will get a lot of carries and catches...would not be benching him for MA.
I dunno, its tough to bench Duece, but i would go with MA as well, we could be looking at a multiple TD's against Miami. I wouldn't be suprised to see MA finish with 130 and 2 td's :thumbup: ( :banned: )

I want to start Parker as well and probably will. But I am a Titans Fan, and I will tell you that I don't think this matchup is as good as everyone is saying. The Titans 1st string Front 7 has actually looked pretty good in preseason. Considering, That Big Ben can't throw at all, and you have the Titans forcing the run all day. Our linebackers Kassell, Sirmon, and Bulluck are all better against th run than the pass. Additionally, Albert Haynesworth and Randy Starks have turned out to be a nice tandem in the middle. We are weak at DE so If Parker does get going it will be on either sweep or Off tackle plays because he is not going anywhere up the middle as long as ALbert is hanging out in there.my .02

I wouldn't want to play against Kevin Jones this week either... he could rack up yards both rush/rec against GB in a potential shootout.

I understand that St. Louis is not great against the run, but the way the St. Louis O has looked so far I really don't think the Niners will be running a lot. I think you could do worse than him, but I think it's mostly neutral if not one to avoid. If Tim Rattay has less than 275 yds in the air and Barlow has more than 80-90 on the ground I'd be really, really surprised.

Unfortunately, because I'm going against him, I think Steven Jackson has a very nice matchup against San Fran.

I'm tempted to start Freddie Taylor over the Edge (vs. BAL), but I don't think I can sit the Edge... ever.
I agree... I didn't draft him at 1.04 to sit on the bench. Besides, Indy O + Bal D = even matchup. I doubt even the Ravens can keep Indy under 17 points.

folks, mike anderson is the undisputed starting RB for the broncos and is in top form. i just dont know how you sit him, unless its for LT and Priest.
I am starting Anderson over K. Jones. To go with LT. If Anderson is the starter all year for Denver he is a must start every week. Just like in 2000(1487 yards/15 TDs). You got to love that Denver running game.

wow, a couple more people down on edge this week than i would have expected. I gotta pick 2 people to start and am choosing between Edge, Lewis, S-Jax, and Larry Johnson. I started thinking about benching lewis for S-jax when i heard about his ankle still being dinged up, now i'm wondering about edge too...Ah-well, like they always say, never bench your studs

I want to start Parker as well and probably will. But I am a Titans Fan, and I will tell you that I don't think this matchup is as good as everyone is saying. The Titans 1st string Front 7 has actually looked pretty good in preseason. Considering, That Big Ben can't throw at all, and you have the Titans forcing the run all day. Our linebackers Kassell, Sirmon, and Bulluck are all better against th run than the pass. Additionally, Albert Haynesworth and Randy Starks have turned out to be a nice tandem in the middle. We are weak at DE so If Parker does get going it will be on either sweep or Off tackle plays because he is not going anywhere up the middle as long as ALbert is hanging out in there.

my .02
JUst found out that Cowher agrees. This is from his interview today:"You look at (Albert) Haynesworth a Pro Bowl defensive lineman, and Keith Bullock, who I think played at a Pro Bowl level last year who was overlooked because of their record. And then Tank Williams is the safety. They’re very strong up the middle and it’s always going to be a grind trying to run the football against them. I expect this to be a big challenge for us."

KJones vs GB ......GB look awful on DAlong with Rudi and Priest...I hope to have a good week 1 vs Lewis, SJax and Dillon. Will be tough.

I'm starting Taylor to go along with SA. I think he will have a great game and 125 yards and a td isn't out of the question.I also have Caddy but I think I will sit him for week 1 to see how he and the OL progresses.This year will be an interesting one. My #1 league is a 2 player keeper (I kept McNabb and SA). I drafted from the 6 spot in a 12 teamer. The first 5 people went all RB so I took Holt and got R Wayne in the second since most of the keepers were RB and I couldn't justify taking Arrington over Holt. This is the first of my 6 seasons in FF that I didn't have two RBs going into round 3.We will see what happens. I have solid depth at WR and could always trade for an RB if Taylor goes down.

Lots of love for Mike Anderson....and I agree, but I still dont know if I can start him. Right now Im looking at Duece, Dillon, and SJackson...with MAnderson and FTaylor sitting out this week. Am I carzy?

Gotta go with KJ playing agains the sieve known as the GB defense. Even if it's a shootout, Jones is good for 20 touches and 125+ yards

How about Westbrook against the Falcons?Quick question:If he lines up in the slot or comes out of the backfield, who would normally cover him? Safety, LB, etc.

S. Davis vs. NO. Davis and Foster will split carries but I think Davis will get the TD.

Avoid

My thoughts.....MY THOUGHTS ???These are ALL my RB's in a Start TWO and ONE FLEX(RB,WR or TE) league.

Jones,Julius RB DAL 9 @SD

Foster,DeShau RB CAR 7 NO

Pittman,Micha RB TB 7 @MIN

Williams,Rick RB MIA 4 DEN

Jones,Thomas RB CHI 4 @WAS

Thomas,Anthon RB DAL 9 @SD

Benson,Cedric RB CHI 4 @WAS

Williams,Carn RB TB 7 @MIN

Outside of JONES it seems I can choose a couple AVOID's. (And he wasn't even named an EXPLOIT.)

I think I'm gonna go JONES, JONES and WILLIAMS. :o

Kevin Jones will get 100 yards rushing a TD and 30 plus yards receiving.Curtis Martin will get 100 plus yards, a TD and 25 plus yards receiving.Deion Branch will get 100 yards and a TDTodd Heap will get 50 yards receiving and a TDTim Rattay will throw for 250 yards and 2 Td'sRudi Johnson will rush for 100 yards and at least 1 TDKerry Collins will throw for 2 plus INT"SJamal Lewis will rush for close to 100 yards and zero td'sEdgerin James will rush for around 60 yards and get 1 tdMuhsin Muhammad will have less than 100 yards and zero Td's

Geeze you people make my life difficult. In one league I've got Duece, K Jones, Westbrook, and Mike Anderson.Duece - I think he, and all the Saints go off. Just a gut thing. Adversity, such as struck NO, can be a motivating factor. I think these guys have something to prove, I think they want to make a statement for their city in abstentia. He starts for me.K J - I'm not convinced GB is a sieve. And if Harrington is as bad as he showed in the last pre-season game, they'll stack the line against him.Westy - I'm a Philly homer and I'm not sure how he'll be used in this game. If Atlanta can show some offense, unlikely IMHO, Westbrook may see plenty of action. Otherwise, I suspect he has modest stats at best.Mike - Gotta love Denver's running game. They've carried me in the past. I think I've got to go with MA as my second back. Hope he has a big game and then trade him for an upgrade at WR.

Users who are viewing this thread