What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Myles Gaskin, MIN (1 Viewer)

Had been eyeballing this matchup and now minus any info from Flores that Gaskin is leading the committee don't think I can play him.

Having said that, I said the same exact thing about Ahmed last week and if you took the plunge you were rewarded.

There may be enough touches for both of these guys to eat against the putrid LV run D, but I don't think I'll be doing it.
Well, today is Wednesday and no one knows how Covid affected Gaskin or not, or was it just protocol. Has he been staying in shape? Practice reports for Th and F may tell a more positive story on Gaskin. He could be primed for 100+ and a TD easily. I'd say 60 / 40 Gaskin / Ahmed or even lean 65 / 35.

Team Smokin' said:
Well, today is Wednesday and no one knows how Covid affected Gaskin or not, or was it just protocol. Has he been staying in shape? Practice reports for Th and F may tell a more positive story on Gaskin. He could be primed for 100+ and a TD easily. I'd say 60 / 40 Gaskin / Ahmed or even lean 65 / 35.
Ahmed got blown up once while pass protecting Tua, but he's a little better as a runner than Gaskin IMO. His play speed is better. But I think the team trusts Gaskin more in the passing game, so I could see your projection of 60/40 for Gaskin. Or the hot hand - who knows. 

Dolphins activated Myles Gaskin off the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Gaskin practiced Wednesday before being removed from the COVID list. He'll play this week against the Raiders. Salvon Ahmed, who took 23 carries for 122 yards and a touchdown in Week 15 against the Patriots, would likely play behind Gaskin, losing most of his fantasy value. Gaskin was seeing a reliable workload before a knee injury and being placed on the COVID list. He should be a locked-in RB2 against a mediocre Vegas rush defense. 

RELATED: 

Salvon Ahmed

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 

Dec 23, 2020, 4:52 PM ET

Any word from local reporters on Gaskin vs Ahmed?

Suddenly considering Gaskin now that McLaurin is doubtful. Need ceiling. It's either Gaskin, R. Higgins, or I. Smith...ugh.

Any word from local reporters on Gaskin vs Ahmed?

Suddenly considering Gaskin now that McLaurin is doubtful. Need ceiling. It's either Gaskin, R. Higgins, or I. Smith...ugh.
I wish I knew...having several of the "backups" as well as Gaskin...and not knowing if I can trust Gaskin (and can't trust Ahmed with Gaskin back)...not sure about Zeke (have Pollard).

So Jeff Wilson seems to be my safest bet at getting carries today...also holding McKissic

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been debating McKissic, Hunt, Gaskin for days and have just settled on Gaskin. Looks like we won't get the clarity we want by game time, so I'm rolling with the upside and hoping for the best. 

Is Gaskin a "ceiling" play though?

He seems like a safe play for say, 10 PPR points against a lousy LV run D. Even in a split (and is that guaranteed? Is he healthy post Covid?) I could see 10-12 rushes for 40-50 yards and then probably three receptions.

Think some Saturday data points will help. I already have Evans, AB, Jeff Wilson, and Kittle going earlier. Depending if those players hit or miss on projections I will either play it safe with a R. Higgins or swing for the fences with Gaskin.

Is Gaskin a "ceiling" play though?

He seems like a safe play for say, 10 PPR points against a lousy LV run D. Even in a split (and is that guaranteed? Is he healthy post Covid?) I could see 10-12 rushes for 40-50 yards and then probably three receptions.

Think some Saturday data points will help. I already have Evans, AB, Jeff Wilson, and Kittle going earlier. Depending if those players hit or miss on projections I will either play it safe with a R. Higgins or swing for the fences with Gaskin.
Potential "ceiling" play, but also likely 65 total yards. He was good before, and I expect him to be good / solid this week. Close to 100 yards and a score with that slim chance he goes higher. Obviously choices, choices, choices. I'm in the same boat, but Gaskin sits for now. I need only 1 from these choices; Bell, Wilson, Pollard, Hilton or Gaskin in the Flex. I'm still open...

Edit: Kamara is also on the team along with Montgomery. I like our chances to win a championship. 

In a similar boat here for my RB2. Gaskin, Gibson, Bernard, or Pollard. It's a conundrum.

Was going to go Gaskin but worried about Ahmed. Will Gibson be healthy enough for a sufficient load? Can Bernard romp one more time? Same with Pollard, or does Zeke relegate him to an after thought?

Just looking at his week to week production. It's undeniable that when he has been active, he's been the guy. 

His last four games he's had 16+ carries in each and targets as well.

Think this comes down to what kind of coach is Flores. Does he stick with Gaskin? Or does he set a precedent now, as the team heads into the playoffs, that the backfield is in flux week to week? 

Just looking at his week to week production. It's undeniable that when he has been active, he's been the guy. 

His last four games he's had 16+ carries in each and targets as well.

Think this comes down to what kind of coach is Flores. Does he stick with Gaskin? Or does he set a precedent now, as the team heads into the playoffs, that the backfield is in flux week to week? 
True, although he was the lead guy before Ahmed was even active and resumed the role a few weeks ago when Ahmed was hurt. I don’t think they’ve both played together to date. 

Dodds/Bloom/Tremblay all more or less projecting a split backfield. 

10-13 carries for both Ahmed and Gaskin.

Dodds/Bloom/Tremblay all more or less projecting a split backfield. 

10-13 carries for both Ahmed and Gaskin.
Meaning temper expectations, but one never knows how it will actually go. Depends upon choices... tough call with Gaskin. For our team it's Wilson, L Bell, then Gaskin for that last Flex spot. All three has similar chances to outscore any of them. At least Gaskin is in the mix if one must. I'd rather play Gaskin over Ahmed, right? 

Both are risks for sure since Flores seems to prefer to lean on one guy. My gut tells me Gaskin will get the most touches. Very possible that both put up respectable games against this defense though. Miami may get some of their receiving options back, but they are not 100%. I think it would be smart to run it until the Raiders make them throw. Very possible for them to rush for 200+ yards again tonight. 

Assuming there hasn't been a peep about this situation today.

Hoping there's at least some sideline reporting later that gives some kind of indication. At least want to know if Gaskin is going to have a role.

Have several players in early games: E. Sanders, Mike Evans, AB, Jeff Wilson, and Kittle. Depending on how those guys do will probably either play it safe (Higgins) or go deep (Gaskin).

Cameron Wolfe

@CameronWolfe

A lot of questions on Dolphins backfield: This is 1st game Myles Gaskin & Salvon Ahmed have both been active so some uncertainty but I’m expecting near even split. Noteworthy team seems to trust Gaskin more in pass pro though Ahmed has shown more burst. Not expecting a bell cow.

I'm changing course and swapping Gaskin out for Hunt with the Browns' Covid news. But wishing everyone here good luck tonight. 

Cameron Wolfe

@CameronWolfe

Replying to

@CameronWolfe

For fantasy purposes if forced to choose, I’d lean Myles Gaskin over Salvon Ahmed. Coaches have trusted Gaskin most all year. If Dolphins run game looks anything like last week with Ahmed & Matt Breida vs. Patriots, then both Gaskin/Ahmed will be worthy to start this week.

Cameron Wolfe

@CameronWolfe

Replying to

@CameronWolfe

For fantasy purposes if forced to choose, I’d lean Myles Gaskin over Salvon Ahmed. Coaches have trusted Gaskin most all year. If Dolphins run game looks anything like last week with Ahmed & Matt Breida vs. Patriots, then both Gaskin/Ahmed will be worthy to start this week.
But his other blurb (on my yahoo roster updates) says that he expects a "near even split" in workload between them.

Both are risks for sure since Flores seems to prefer to lean on one guy. My gut tells me Gaskin will get the most touches. Very possible that both put up respectable games against this defense though. Miami may get some of their receiving options back, but they are not 100%. I think it would be smart to run it until the Raiders make them throw. Very possible for them to rush for 200+ yards again tonight. 
I agree that Gaskin will see the RB1 load, Ahmed about every 3rd drive or when Gaskin needs a breather. 

I would like to see both RBs see a lot of touches tonight. 

Still debating Gaskin. Right now he's benched for a choice of Bernard, Pollard, or Gibson tomorrow. I guess I could go flex too but have two WR there in Evans and Hilton or Cooks.

Looks like he was the right play. Mike evans' huge game has me in a big hole, but gaskin is doing his part. Hopefully they keep feeding him 

Perhaps Ahmed’s recent success (before tonight) lit a fire under him because he’s looked really good.

I thought I had 3rd place wrapped up with Kamara. But with him having Gaskins and Evans, I’m now projected to win by 2. 😐

I was debating the wrong guys.  Should have played both Wilson and Gaskin.

It was Jacobs I needed to bench because his coach refused to give him the ball when he was gashing a D in the first half.

Cameron Wolfe

@CameronWolfe

A lot of questions on Dolphins backfield: This is 1st game Myles Gaskin & Salvon Ahmed have both been active so some uncertainty but I’m expecting near even split. Noteworthy team seems to trust Gaskin more in pass pro though Ahmed has shown more burst. Not expecting a bell cow.
So this guy was wrong.

Cameron Wolfe

@CameronWolfe

So this guy was wrong.
It seemed like they were splitting early on. Perhaps the plan changed to riding  the hot hand when Gaskin was running hot and Ahmed was struggling.

It seemed like they were splitting early on. Perhaps the plan changed to riding  the hot hand when Gaskin was running hot and Ahmed was struggling.
They weren’t splitting early.  It was Ahmed on early downs & Gaskin on 3rd.  It wasn’t until Ahmed was clearly ineffective & Gaskin was dominating that he started getting all the work.

They weren’t splitting early.  It was Ahmed on early downs & Gaskin on 3rd.  It wasn’t until Ahmed was clearly ineffective & Gaskin was dominating that he started getting all the work.
Fair point. It wasn’t series by series, but the load was still being shared until they rode the hot hand.

Sorry; when I saw split, I interpreted it as even work.  Frustratingly, it wasn’t, at least not early on.  I’m just glad the Mia coaches eventually went with Gaskin.

It's amazing there was even a question who should get the majority of the work.

After Ahmed basically ran straight into walls for a handful of carries, Gaskin came in and immediately showed great vision and wiggle. I said to myself, if Flores doesn't make a shift here to Gaskin right now he risks losing this game.

Thank goodness I started him. If it weren't for R. Higgins hitting Covid prior to kickoff I may have benched Gaskins. 

Myles Gaskin rushed 14 times for 87 yards in the Dolphins' Week 16 win over the Raiders, adding five receptions for 82 yards and two touchdowns.

Gaskin's second receiving touchdown came on a play that saw him break an attempted arm-tackle and cut back upfield before sprinting down the sideline for a 59-yard score. He was targeted five times and brought down all five looks. Gaskin only gave up six carries and one target to backup Salvon Ahmed. There should be no doubt that he is the team's workhorse back heading into Week 17 and potentially the playoffs. His usage in all phases of the game makes him a high-end RB2 against the Bills next week.

Dec 26, 2020, 11:24 PM ET

Myles Gaskin caught 4-of-5 targets for 57 yards, adding seven carries for 20 yards and a touchdown, in the Dolphins' Week 117 loss to the Bills.

Gaskin ends 2020 as the team's best running back, totaling 584 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 142 carries to go along with 41 receptions for 387 yards and another two scores. It's quite a season for the 2019 seventh-round selection, who surpassed Matt Breida and Jordan Howard on the depth chart while also dealing with a knee injury and landing on the COVID-19 list. With so many quality draft picks this spring, it would not be a shock to see the Dolphins invest in a go-to ball carrier, but if the group stands as currently rostered, Gaskin would be favored for lead-back duties.

- Rotoworld

The Dolphins will be drafting a bonafide potential stud in 2021. No doubt about it. Gaskin was a very pleasant story. Kid worked his ### off and proved he can ball at this level. I still think he is not a 3 down back long term. And he will have a nice role as a change of pace/3rd down type back. 

The Dolphins need a star. Someone who can carry the load. 

Gaskin is not built for that long term. No knock....just facts. He played hard and again....loved seeing that as Fins fan.

The Dolphins will be drafting a bonafide potential stud in 2021. No doubt about it. Gaskin was a very pleasant story. Kid worked his ### off and proved he can ball at this level. I still think he is not a 3 down back long term. And he will have a nice role as a change of pace/3rd down type back. 

The Dolphins need a star. Someone who can carry the load. 

Gaskin is not built for that long term. No knock....just facts. He played hard and again....loved seeing that as Fins fan.
I wonder if this happens myself. If I was betting on this right now I would say they stick with Gaskin. 

I wonder if this happens myself. If I was betting on this right now I would say they stick with Gaskin. 
I would be surprised if Gaskin is their starter in 2021. They have the capital to draft a real difference maker, and even if they don’t they could always sign a FA like an Aaron Jones. 

The Show said:
Nope.. I fully expect a back to be drafted. And drafted in the first 3 rounds.

I would be surprised if Gaskin is their starter in 2021. They have the capital to draft a real difference maker, and even if they don’t they could always sign a FA like an Aaron Jones. 
Everyone is fooled by his strong fantasy finish but I watched a couple of full Miami games as a Gaskin owner and the guy basically got what was blocked for him and nothing more. He has average speed and no power at all. He can not be a full time back for a team with playoff aspirations - he will be replaced one way or the other which is why I'm glad I moved him in the two leagues I had him rostered.

Everyone is fooled by his strong fantasy finish but I watched a couple of full Miami games as a Gaskin owner and the guy basically got what was blocked for him and nothing more. He has average speed and no power at all. He can not be a full time back for a team with playoff aspirations - he will be replaced one way or the other which is why I'm glad I moved him in the two leagues I had him rostered.
The best he can hope for is a Jamaal Williams type situation, about a third of the carries and runs. He has exceeded expectations, using good vision and making people miss. That was his college profile too. Most likely, the Dolphins draft someone in round 2 or 3. As we've seen this year, even good RBs can take weeks or months to take over, so Gaskins could still be a factor early in 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread