What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Myles Gaskin, MIN (1 Viewer)

I sold all my shares of Gaskin. Can't get attached. Buy low, sell high.

If he manages to stay healthy for 16 games and put up 1,100 / 460. I'll eat my hat. I think he'll be highly effective when used.

But you win your leagues by drafting this year's Myles Gaskin. I'm buying shares of Malcolm Brown on the cheap. If I was a coach, I know who I'm feeding the rock.

The $1,750,000 Malcolm Brown makes this year is about the same as Myles Gaskin is scheduled to get paid over the next 3 years combined.

I think the fact Brown is only signed for a year opens the door for Doaks. In fact, Malcolm Brown has every reason to play for an even bigger contract.

Gaskin was effective last year, particularly as a receiver out of the backfield.  As a runner, once he took over the job, he was uneven, putting up three good games, (18/91 vs NYJ, 21/90 vs CIN, and 14/87 @LVR) and three bad/mediocre games (22/66  @ JAC, 16/57 @ SFO, 7/20 @BUF). I'm throwing out his game against the Rams because no one runs the ball well against them.  From a fantasy perspective, his great work as a receiver was his saving grace throughout the season. 

Gaskin's supporters point to the fact that the Dolphins passed on Etienne, Harris, and many other backs early in the draft, but it's hard to say whether that can be read as an endorsement of Gaskin or rather a skepticism around investing valuable draft capital in the RB position. Or the fact that they feel confident about Ahmed and Brown as back-ups (or part of a committee). Another point in Gaskin's favor is that he should be part of an offense with a lot of weapons that should move the ball down the field and put up points.

The other side of it is that Gaskin hasn't shown an ability to stay healthy and Flores may not trust him to carry/withstand a large workload.  Also, Ahmed looked promising in limited action and Brown is a very solid back who can do a little bit of everything and can be trusted in pass protection. It should also be noted that the Dolphins put in a failed waiver claim on Kerryon Johnson.  Beyond that, the Dolphins have a very poor offensive line.  PFF ranks them as #30 in the NFL.

I do think Gaskin's pass-catching ability gives him a floor but I don't think the ceiling is where others do.

My projections:

Gaskin: 192 carries, 749 yards, 4 touchdowns,  62 targets, 48 receptions, 432 yards, 2 touchdowns

Brown: 102 carries,  406 yards, 5 touchdowns, 35 targets, 24 receptions, 173 yards, 1 touchdown

Ahmed: 98 carries, 402 yards, 2 touchdowns, 23 targets, 17 receptions, 133 yards, 0 touchdowns

Tua: 55 carries, 171 yards, 3 touchdowns

I keep hearing about how good a shape he came into camp in, yada yada yada. 

I just don’t trust this team. The only time I had a reliable Miami back was Ricky Williams (had him in ‘02 as my 1st round pick. So worth it), and then 1/2 of a magical season from Ronny “OG Wildcat” Brown. My god was he a fantasy football monster. My only year playing in the WCOFF Ronny was my RB2 & I was high on the leader board for weeks. While on vacation visiting my brother in Germany he got hurt & ended my hopes and dreams. And I paid 3 German marks for the  10 mins on the Internet to find out. 🥺

None of this has anything to do with “sandman” of course. I just wonder what his role will be & if he’ll keep the starting gig. He’s not really built to handle a big workload, and he’s going in the 4th-5th. I know he was good last year. I’m unsure if I trust the player or the situation. 

I keep hearing about how good a shape he came into camp in, yada yada yada. 

I just don’t trust this team. The only time I had a reliable Miami back was Ricky Williams (had him in ‘02 as my 1st round pick. So worth it), and then 1/2 of a magical season from Ronny “OG Wildcat” Brown. My god was he a fantasy football monster. My only year playing in the WCOFF Ronny was my RB2 & I was high on the leader board for weeks. While on vacation visiting my brother in Germany he got hurt & ended my hopes and dreams. And I paid 3 German marks for the  10 mins on the Internet to find out. 🥺

None of this has anything to do with “sandman” of course. I just wonder what his role will be & if he’ll keep the starting gig. He’s not really built to handle a big workload, and he’s going in the 4th-5th. I know he was good last year. I’m unsure if I trust the player or the situation. 
 I hear this.  I have a chance to keep him in my keeper league in the 10th round, which I will likely do, but I can't say I am excited about it.  

I’d keep him at that value for sure. 

Very hesitant to invest a 4th or 5th though. 
After the preseason, we should know if rookie Doaks is a threat. It's unlikely, as he's had some pass catching issues in camp, although in college he displayed soft hands. He could be a short yardage back, competing with Malcolm Brown. Gaskin knows how to run routes, I think he's  underestimated in that area. In worse case, Gaskins should get at least 2/3 of the carries and receptions at RB, but maybe not many GL carries. 

After the preseason, we should know if rookie Doaks is a threat. It's unlikely, as he's had some pass catching issues in camp, although in college he displayed soft hands. He could be a short yardage back, competing with Malcolm Brown. Gaskin knows how to run routes, I think he's  underestimated in that area. In worse case, Gaskins should get at least 2/3 of the carries and receptions at RB, but maybe not many GL carries. 
I also need to see if Tua has improved, and is capable of using his new weapons.

They've got 2 legit field-stretchers. If Tua can hit them & make the threat legit, that’s gonna soften up the defensive fronts quite a bit for whomever is running the ball. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaskin was effective last year, particularly as a receiver out of the backfield.  As a runner, once he took over the job, he was uneven, putting up three good games, (18/91 vs NYJ, 21/90 vs CIN, and 14/87 @LVR) and three bad/mediocre games (22/66  @ JAC, 16/57 @ SFO, 7/20 @BUF). I'm throwing out his game against the Rams because no one runs the ball well against them.  From a fantasy perspective, his great work as a receiver was his saving grace throughout the season. 

Gaskin's supporters point to the fact that the Dolphins passed on Etienne, Harris, and many other backs early in the draft, but it's hard to say whether that can be read as an endorsement of Gaskin or rather a skepticism around investing valuable draft capital in the RB position. Or the fact that they feel confident about Ahmed and Brown as back-ups (or part of a committee). Another point in Gaskin's favor is that he should be part of an offense with a lot of weapons that should move the ball down the field and put up points.

The other side of it is that Gaskin hasn't shown an ability to stay healthy and Flores may not trust him to carry/withstand a large workload.  Also, Ahmed looked promising in limited action and Brown is a very solid back who can do a little bit of everything and can be trusted in pass protection. It should also be noted that the Dolphins put in a failed waiver claim on Kerryon Johnson.  Beyond that, the Dolphins have a very poor offensive line.  PFF ranks them as #30 in the NFL.

I do think Gaskin's pass-catching ability gives him a floor but I don't think the ceiling is where others do.

My projections:

Gaskin: 192 carries, 749 yards, 4 touchdowns,  62 targets, 48 receptions, 432 yards, 2 touchdowns

Brown: 102 carries,  406 yards, 5 touchdowns, 35 targets, 24 receptions, 173 yards, 1 touchdown

Ahmed: 98 carries, 402 yards, 2 touchdowns, 23 targets, 17 receptions, 133 yards, 0 touchdowns

Doaks gets 0 touches?

My projections:

Nice write up / Good points all.   (Partial quote here)

I believe some of the reason they passed on drafting a RB high was they got their target in Malcom Brown. I think the RBBC will be more even than your projections but I see more GL TD for Brown.  Brown was targeted by a few teams and Miami paid him well to come to town.  I can see Gaskin's more receptions, but Brown more carries.  But I also believe Tua will have more rush TD.  Not sure how "high octane" the Mia offense will be... they have weapons, but will they utilize them to they best potential and capitalize on what the Def allows

Miami hasn't had a top 10 offense since 1995, the longest streak by far in the NFL. A lot of that falls on poor QB play, an emphasis on defense, and lack of playmakers. The co-offensive coordinators are supposedly building the offensive plan around the players they have. I think that means quick passes to Waddle, more long passes to Wilson and Fuller to stretch the defense. Which should open up more opportunities for the large receivers, Parker and Gesicki.  The opportunities for Gaskin will depend on how well Tua plays to keep drives alive. And how much improved the oline is. The center and 2 guard positions should be improved. I think Brown, and perhaps Doaks will take away many short yardage opportunities. Gaskins had a few plays in the passing game that impressed me last year including the catch and run from Fitzpatrick in the LV game and another catch of about 30 yards from Tua on a scramble. 

His ADP is in the low 20s, in a group including Robinson, Hunt, Williams and Gordon. I take Gaskins ahead of Robinson and Gordon, not Hunt and Williams who have more upside.

I need to see if Tua shows something in the preseason to finalize my rankings.

As a runner, once he took over the job, he was uneven, putting up three good games, (18/91 vs NYJ, 21/90 vs CIN, and 14/87 @LVR) and three bad/mediocre games (22/66  @ JAC, 16/57 @ SFO, 7/20 @BUF). I'm throwing out his game against the Rams because no one runs the ball well against them.  From a fantasy perspective, his great work as a receiver was his saving grace throughout the season.

Ahmed looked promising in limited action and Brown is a very solid back who can do a little bit of everything and can be trusted in pass protection. It should also be noted that the Dolphins put in a failed waiver claim on Kerryon Johnson.  Beyond that, the Dolphins have a very poor offensive line.  PFF ranks them as #30 in the NFL.

Distilled your post to my takeaways.

I may have a few shares of Brown, Parker, Geisiki and the kicker, but that's about it for fish exposure.

Flores speaks, Gaskin owners weep: 

“MYLES GASKINRB, MIAMI DOLPHINS

Dolphins head coach Brian Flores said the Dolphins will continue to use a three-player backfield rotation. 

Malcom Brown got the start Saturday against Chicago, seeing 16 snaps with Miami's first team offense to Myles Gaskin's seven first-team snaps. Gaskin has four carries for 19 yards; Brown gained eight yards on nine rushes. Salvon Ahmed, who had four starts in 2020 while Gaskin was sidelined, had six rushing attempts for 40 yards, along with 31 yards and a touchdown through the air. "You saw all three backs played, all three of them got carries," Flores aid. "Pick one out and put them in, basically. We like all three guys. They all do good things. And I think we saw that today. And [we'll] just keep working all three guys." Gaskin was never going to dominate backfield snaps for the Dolphins. Now he could be trapped in an unpredictable committee -- a tough spot for a fourth-round pick in 12-team fantasy leagues. Running backs going after Gaskin -- including Mike Davis, Kareem Hunt, Raheem Mostert, and Travis Etienne -- have more secure roles in their respective offenses.”

3-headed monster, RBBC. Ahmed sounding like the value pick. 

Kills of of my later RB targets. I was just starting to believe, too. :(  

NE backfield redux, maybe.

But also, not sure you should take anything Flo willingly shares at face value. 

The confusing thing about the rotation in the preseason game is that, according to accounts of people watching practice, Gaskin has been on the field with Tua almost exclusively (other backs have also had snaps with Tua, but I haven't heard any snap recaps with Gaskin being the back with Brissett). Then in PS game 1, Gaskin played mostly with Brissett. Not sure what to make of that, but I trust the reports of how they are used in practice over the 1st preseason game at this point. 

tombonneau said:
The worst part of this is I have all three of these cloggers on my roster and now I have to keep them all!
If it really is rbbc, I think only the ones catching passes are going to be usable. The OL is not going to make brown even Gus Edwards level usable if he isn't getting decent targets. 

I'm still viewing Gaskin as the RB to own in Miami. But yeah, certainly dropping him several rounds. Probably an 8th round caliber guy right now. 

I took Ahmed with my last pick of my draft Saturday. Not really interested in Gaskin anymore. Looks like a mess tbh, but I’m not entirely convinced Ahmed isn’t just the best back out of all of them. 

How has Doaks looked?
Depends on who you ask. Herald beat writer Barry Jackson mentions his drops in practice, and says he had a reception for -3 yards. But in college he had very soft hands and the -3 yard reception was a 30 yard catch and run called back cause his knee barely touched the ground. He also made a nice block on a blitz, made a tackle on a KO, and was called for a hold on a KR. The verdict is still out. IMO, he's their best power back. He has 2 games to make to impress the coaches. I think he'll be the 4th RB.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jason_Sarney/status/1426628433237495822

I think Gaskin will be the main guy. He has looked very good in camp. Stronger, quicker, just clearly to my eyes the best and most complete back we have. I felt last season he was JAG, but he really impressed me as the season wore on and if he did not get hurt his numbers would have been even better. With his off-season. He looks even better.

Savon Ahmed has some nice skills, but I think he is not a hearty guy for lack of a better term. I don’t think he can take the pounding of a 17 game season at all.

Malcom Brown is who he is and Doaks IMO will leap frog him by mid season. 

For fantasy purposes.....in a redraft I would avoid the situation or take Gaskin in the 8th round or later (12 teamer) if people get scared off even more. 

Bottom line is our OL is not that good right now. They got pushed around all week in joint practices vs the Bears and this week they are doing joint practices with the Falcons.

I am going to the pre-season game this Saturday and will be watching the OL closely. I also fully expect Gaskin to be the starter running out for the first series the weekend in the “Dress Rehearsal” He has earned it.

ya, not sure if ppl just like to see things for their own benefit...

they didnt draft a rb for a reason. this guy is pretty decent. 

Now all the analysts are going to redo all the negative videos made last week in their overreaction to 1 preseason game. 
Agreed - I listened to a few podcasts last week and some were running for the hills on Gaskin. It will still probably be some form of committee, but the demise of Gaskin may have been overstated a bit too much off one game. 

Agreed - I listened to a few podcasts last week and some were running for the hills on Gaskin. It will still probably be some form of committee, but the demise of Gaskin may have been overstated a bit too much off one game. 
I was floored how much overreaction to Malcolm Brown turning damn near 10 carries into less than 10 yards … and somehow Gaskin was dead. 

The guy was RB8 in PPR when he was healthy. He’s their best back, and he just might be pretty damn good. 

I was floored how much overreaction to Malcolm Brown turning damn near 10 carries into less than 10 yards … and somehow Gaskin was dead. 

The guy was RB8 in PPR when he was healthy. He’s their best back, and he just might be pretty damn good. 
I think some will point to Brown’s usage/goal line TD last night with the twos. I still think  it’s a work in progress though and Flores likes Brown (and Gaskin) a lot. We’ll see what happens week 1.

I think some will point to Brown’s usage/goal line TD last night with the twos. I still think  it’s a work in progress though and Flores likes Brown (and Gaskin) a lot. We’ll see what happens week 1.
But Gaskin literally scored goal line on the first possession. 

Please keep him cheap, market. Please overreact to Brown and Ahmed. 

The RB1 comment. I’d be doing cartwheels if he managed that performance, but don’t think that’s a realistic range of outcome.
They say if he gets a featured role, he has a pretty good chance to be an RB1. Seems like an accurate statement to me, a least in PPR. But I guess it depends on the definition of "feature role".

But yeah, it is hyperbole season for sure. 

I think Brown will definitely get touches, and it won't surprise me if there are weeks where the carries are around 50/50, but Gaskin should get used far more in the passing game (41 catches on 47 targets in 10 games last year, and got 4 catches/4 targets in limited duty yesterday).  I am sure there will be weeks where we Gaskin owners will want to pull out hair out, but I think the volume should be there to make him a good RB2. 

I would be drafting Gaskin as a great RB3/flex play with upside to a RB2. 

Like I had said prior to the preseason game vs Atlanta....he is clearly the lead back of the three headed committee. Has been all summer in camp. He will have some big games. But I would not be drafting him as a legit RB2.....too many other mouths to feed. Ahmed and Savon are no doubt part of the gameplan every week too. 

My 10-team PPR superflex $250 cap auction drafted last night, and no one wanted any part of the Miami backfield.

Gaskin went for $8 -- most of the other RBs in his ADP/AAV tier went for $15-20 -- and Ahmed and Brown went undrafted. 

My 10-team PPR superflex $250 cap auction drafted last night, and no one wanted any part of the Miami backfield.

Gaskin went for $8 -- most of the other RBs in his ADP/AAV tier went for $15-20 -- and Ahmed and Brown went undrafted. 
Good value. Miami only has 3 RBs now, but will add Doaks to the PS if he clears wavers. And perhaps add someone else who was cut to the 53. No threat to Gaskins.

Good value. Miami only has 3 RBs now, but will add Doaks to the PS if he clears wavers. And perhaps add someone else who was cut to the 53. No threat to Gaskins.
I thought so too. I was low on $ when he was called so I couldn't bid him up, and the rest of the league didn't care to. 

Dolphins coach Brian Flores suggested RB Myles Gaskin has become a player the team can trust to be on the field for all three downs.

"He's made [pass protection] a part of his game that he's not a guy we have to take out in those situations," Flores exclaimed. He also touted Gaskin's professionalism as the 24-year-old has reportedly been consistent in coming in early and leaving late to do extra work throughout camp. Malcolm Brown out-snapped Gaskin 16-7 with Miami's starters during the first preseason game but it was the latter who came roaring back with 19 snaps to Brown's five in the following contest. Gaskin undoubtedly has a role, but whether it's the one Flores suggests he'll have remains to be seen. He's an RB2/3 jammed in an RBBC until proven otherwise.

SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Sep 6, 2021, 4:24 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread