What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Najee Harris, PIT (1 Viewer)

The Steelers indicated on Tuesday that they plan to play first-round rookie RB Najee Harris in all four preseason games.

"He's a rookie," coach Mike Tomlin began. "Man, he needs the process of game preparation and [to] ultimately play. We’ve got four opportunities for him to do that." Harris is the gem of Pittsburgh's rookie class and a second-round fantasy pick after the team spent a first-rounder on him in April. Barring injury, this doesn't have much impact on his fantasy outlook. The Steelers open the 2021 preseason in the Hall of Fame Game on Thursday.

SOURCE: Brian Batko on Twitter

Aug 3, 2021, 3:15 PM ET

Sooooo no one is going to talk about how he looked like basically big Jamaal Williams last night?
I was looking more at the offensive line but have no clue what sort of combination of starters they had in the game and have even less knowledge of what Dallas had in the game.

Not sure how much can be gleaned from the first preseason game unless you were looking for something spectacular so no we didn't see spectacular out of Harris last night.

The offensive line... a lot of the negativity directed at James Connor was misguided so I wasn't on-board that Harris was the solution of the running game woes.

The offensive line is the key.

What comes first the chicken (running back) or the egg (oline)? Bad olines can turn good running backs into bad running backs. Top that with an ancient quarterback running on fumes with no competent backup….I am passing on Najee in redraft.

What comes first the chicken (running back) or the egg (oline)? Bad olines can turn good running backs into bad running backs. Top that with an ancient quarterback running on fumes with no competent backup….I am passing on Najee in redraft.

Presuming he goes as an rb1 or high 2 I agree. Love the talent but for situation, he's probably going to disappoint many this year.

stud.300 carries with ease. bad o-line be damned.
There’s probably a reason he only had 8 runs of 20 or more yards while his first contact was on average 10.6 yards past the line of scrimmage. I think he only had 1 run at Bama over 30 yards. The guy has no juice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Najee Harris rushed seven times for 22 yards in the Steelers' Hall-of-Fame Game victory over the Cowboys.

The No. 24 overall pick also added a three-yard reception. Harris' first NFL work of any kind came with Ben Roethlisberger on the sideline, as well as Benny Snell not playing. Snell's absence mean we didn't really gain any insight into who Harris' primary backup might. Jaylen Samuels handled 12 touches while Kalen Ballage picked up a "lower-body injury." The Steelers have claimed Harris will play in all four preseason games — the Steelers are one of just two teams who will reach that number this August — but we will believe that when we see it. The drumbeat for Harris as the Steelers' every-down back has marched on unabated. 

Aug 6, 2021, 12:04 AM ET

From a redraft perspective the fact that they want to give him this much work in the preseason would give me pause. Could imply that the aren't very concerned about saving him for the real games. I guess we'll see how his usage progresses.  

Jail said:
From a redraft perspective the fact that they want to give him this much work in the preseason would give me pause. Could imply that the aren't very concerned about saving him for the real games. I guess we'll see how his usage progresses.  
Why would they take a RB in the first round and then not be concerned about having him for the regular season? They’re giving him reps to get him ready. Most players will see some preseason action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jail said:
Why would they take a RB in the first round and then not be concerned about having him for the regular season? They’re giving him reps to get him ready. Most players will see some preseason action.

Claypool played quite a bit as well.  Just Tomlin's MO for that game.

Take him early. Grab his handcuff late and let the injury god be on your side
Do we know who the true handcuff is? I’m assuming it’s McFarland, but not sure they wouldn’t do a McFarland/Snell RBBC if Harris goes down. Or maybe trade for/sign someone else entirely given how poorly those guys performed last year.

Do we know who the true handcuff is? I’m assuming it’s McFarland, but not sure they wouldn’t do a McFarland/Snell RBBC if Harris goes down. Or maybe trade for/sign someone else entirely given how poorly those guys performed last year.
correct, RBBC or maybe free agent depending on how the season is going.

Take him early. Grab his handcuff late and let the injury god be on your side. HOF QB with 3 stud receivers:

Diontae Johnson
Chase Claypool
Juju Smith-Schuster

Imagine the running lanes on a draw on 2 & long out of a 3WR set. He's going to average 4.5 YPC put up about 1,250 rushing yards, and score 12 TDs. Anything less than that will be a disappointment. If he doesn't put that up, then his handcuff has gone ape#### (either injury or disappointment).

I personally like Etienne more, less draft capital in redraft and more upside in PPR. Dude is running routes out of the slot.

You predict 1250 and 12 TDs on the ground (plus whatever he does in the air) but prefer ETN. Even assuming a 1 to 2 round draft difference - you must be super high on what ETN will do.

Steelers training camp takeaways: Najee Harris is the real deal

Excerpt:

Because of Mike Tomlin’s history of using a running back until the wheels fall off, it might already be a good time to predict Najee Harris will be the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and lead the league in rushing attempts, if not yardage.

Based on three weeks of observations at training camp, of course.

The Steelers will conclude their training camp practices at Heinz Field this week — the last practice open to fans is Wednesday — and it is apparent for all to see that Harris, the team’s No. 1 pick, is nothing but the real deal. Barring injury, the Steelers will lean on him the way they did Le’Veon Bell.

Harris, though, is stronger and more explosive than Bell and has a chance to be the best back in the AFC North that features two of the best running teams in the league. His ability is the easiest takeaway to have from three weeks of training camp.

Okay Najee gang - why would you take Najee over Mixon (they are almost in the same boat)?
They do seem to be similar volume plays. Mixon went before Najee & I was thrilled to get him at 2.06. If I had been given the opportunity to choose I still would have taken Harris because higher ceiling.

I was thrilled to get him at 2.06

You should be immediately arrested. You literally stole him.

We have a tendency to get caught up only in the metrics, while forgetting about the heart and the drive. He spent time in a homeless shelter as a kid, and pulled himself up by the jockstrap to get where he is today. Put me on record as saying (barring injury): Najee is gonna be a fantasy star. He won't settle for anything less than greatness.

One more person who doesn’t understand the difference between ceiling and floor. Hate to see it. 
Harris, Big Ben, and the PIT offense passed the eye test in the preseason. Conner and Snell had low grades, I expect Harris to have a much higher grade. Shades of Bell, Mendenhall and DeAngelo. Plus a good defense.

As a Steelers homer, I hope you are all right, but I have seen nothing that actually says to me the team will run anymore than last year or that Harris can average more than about 3.5 ypc. 

tangfoot said:
One more person who doesn’t understand the difference between ceiling and floor. Hate to see it. 
Terrible post.  Pretty feasible if he’s in on all 3 downs.  He’s better than anyone they’ve had since Bell. 

Terrible post.  Pretty feasible if he’s in on all 3 downs.  He’s better than anyone they’ve had since Bell. 
You just proved my point. 
“Feasible” = possible = ceiling

”Probable” is the word you should have used if you believe his floor is a ridiculous 1300/10

You just proved my point. 
“Feasible” = possible = ceiling

”Probable” is the word you should have used if you believe his floor is a ridiculous 1300/10
He said total yards.  I looked up Bell’s rookie season stats.  He had right at 1300 total yards in 13 games.  So yeah, Harris’s floor is 1300 total yards as a bell cow back in 17 games.  I could be wrong, but I would bet on the over.  

SoBeDad said:
Harris, Big Ben, and the PIT offense passed the eye test in the preseason. Conner and Snell had low grades, I expect Harris to have a much higher grade. Shades of Bell, Mendenhall and DeAngelo. Plus a good defense.
shhh..Freirmuth looks like a new weapon for Ben. let them sleep on Pittsburgh. Ben is going to be a beast this season

Likely going to end up with lots of shares of Najee.

TD heavy league he came back to me in the late 2nd (also a league that tends to go heavy QB early)...paired him with McCaffrey as Kamara and Henry went 1-2.

Then drafting 10th yesterday grabbed he and Tyreek to start my draft.  Guessing tonight the 1st round goes similarly and drafting 10th I will be choosing from Najee, Mixon, Gibson, Barkley types.

Those latter two leagues are standard non-ppr scoring.  

Im actually pretty good with it as I like his floor and ceiling in that offense pretty well.

The difference is Mixon has a long history of injuries.....Harris does not.  Usage should be similar until Mixon gets injured.
It hasn't been that bad of an injury history. Last season was the 1st time in his NFL career he missed more than 2 games in a season. Any negativity there is balanced out by already having established himself as a legit NFL talent and being more explosive. I have these guys very close and agree they are difficult to pick apart. 

The Mixon Harris debate is a good one as both teams have made significant changes to poorly ranked offensive lines.

Its thin ice as both could boom or both could bust!

It hasn't been that bad of an injury history. Last season was the 1st time in his NFL career he missed more than 2 games in a season. Any negativity there is balanced out by already having established himself as a legit NFL talent and being more explosive. I have these guys very close and agree they are difficult to pick apart. 

I agree but the reason to take Harris over Mixon is because of the mysterious foot injury that knocked him out for most of last year.  They are very close for sure.

I agree but the reason to take Harris over Mixon is because of the mysterious foot injury that knocked him out for most of last year.  They are very close for sure.
That is fair but it seems like he is fine, right? I haven't heard anything else on it? Also, I am really not arguing because I have Harris over Mixon. 

That is fair but it seems like he is fine, right? I haven't heard anything else on it? Also, I am really not arguing because I have Harris over Mixon. 
I think Mixon is fine.  But such a weird injury with basically no information for a year.  Even though it doesn't seem like anything it just sits in the back of the mind as a question mark.  Not a big one but enough that it makes me put Harris over Mixon.  

I think Mixon is fine.  But such a weird injury with basically no information for a year.  Even though it doesn't seem like anything it just sits in the back of the mind as a question mark.  Not a big one but enough that it makes me put Harris over Mixon.  
Fair, I took it a bit as the team knew they were bad and were fine losing- especially after Joe Burrow went down so they just had Joe rest and rehab. 

Najee Harris rushed 16 times for 45 yards in the Steelers' Week 1 win over the Bills.

Harris was targeted just three times in the passing game, totaling one catch for four yards. It was a debut to forget for the No. 24 overall pick, who found zero running room behind Pittsburgh's horrific offensive line against an upper-echelon defense. Harris also needs to realize he's not going to run through defenders like he did in college. It's going to be a trying year for Harris behind this offensive line, but the touches are going to keep him on the RB1/2 map every week. Things should be easier next week at home against the Raiders.

Sep 12, 2021, 4:34 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread