What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rachaad White, TB (1 Viewer)

2022 Fantasy Rookie Rankings: Kenneth Walker III and Jameson Williams shoot up rankings after sensational seasons

Excerpt:

At 6’2″, 210 pounds, Rachaad White is one of the best-kept secrets of 2022 dynasty rookie drafts. With that said, the proverbial cat is going to be out of the bag once White shows up at the Senior Bowl. The keyword for me when watching his tape is smooth. White is an efficient rusher who doesn’t waste movement and is a dual-threat out of the backfield. He was a 1,000-yard rusher last season but also caught 43 passes for nearly 460 yards.

He can be a bit upright at times, but that is coachable, as is pass blocking. White shows solid contact balance and determination at the point of contact. I’d like to see more burst at the line, but once his next gear kicks in, White is gone. Don’t sleep on him when the draft kicks off.

Bleacher Report analyst Matt Miller said Arizona State RB Rachaad White stood out in the first Senior Bowl practice session.

White (6'2/210) burst on the national scene this season after transferring to ASU from Mt. San Antonio JC in 2020. He took over the lead back role after battling the now departed Deamontre Trayanum for carries, rushing 182 times for 1,006 yards, 5.5 YPC and 15 touchdowns to go with 43 receptions for 456 yards and a touchdown through the air. Miller noted that White "looks strong and explosive" while going through drills in a pretty deep running back group that includes Jerome Ford, Hassan Haskins, Tyler Badie and Abram Smith. He took one carry off the right side for a would-be 50 yard touchdown in 11-on-11's and is shaping up as a mid-round all-purpose back who has shown an ability to make big plays during his Sun Devils tenure. 

SOURCE: Matt Miller on Twitter

Feb 1, 2022, 2:07 PM ET

The 43 receptions last year stands out, along with his size. I haven't really watched more than highlights. I wonder, is that more of a "Jay Ajayi catching 50 dump offs in a season at Boise St.", or is this guy a legit receiver out of the backfield?

The 43 receptions last year stands out, along with his size. I haven't really watched more than highlights. I wonder, is that more of a "Jay Ajayi catching 50 dump offs in a season at Boise St.", or is this guy a legit receiver out of the backfield?
Legit receiver kinda reminds me of Marcus Allen Raiders RB similar body and running style

I will say that I am not comfortable comping anyone to Marcus Allen. And if they are comparable they better be the top pick in just about any rookie draft!

There was a clip of White at the senior bowl running a route at the goal line. He totally dusted the LB in coverage, and caught the ball naturally immediately after. 

Watching him run, he's an upright, patient runner. I see some shades of Latavius Murray or LeVeon Bell in college (mind you, bot those guys were carrying 15-20 more lbs of weight in college than White last year, so having a similar running style to 230 lb Bell might not be as positive as it sounds given Bell played at around 210 in his prime).

Regardless, starter size with legit catching ability is very much worth watching in this RB class. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. I didn't want him to do that well. I have a later first-round pick, and I was hoping he'd fall at least there. 

Just spent a 2023 3rd in a startup draft today to move up 4 spots in the 10th round to draft him. As rookie RB4. Guess we will see.

The Draft Network's Justin Melo reports Arizona State RB Rachaad White "has met virtually with several teams."

The Saints, Bills, Bengals, Ravens, Browns and Raiders are among the teams that have met with White (6'2/210) according to Melo. A visit with the Buccaneers is reportedly on tap for Wednesday, as White continues to surge of draft boards. The Arizona State prospect has drawn interest for his three-down versatility Combine, where he ran a 4.48. Last season with the Sun Devils, White rushed for 182-1000-15 while also catching 43 passes for 456 yards and another score.

SOURCE: Justin Melo on Twitter

Apr 12, 2022, 1:36 PM ET

Why Breece Hall Could be the Next Jonathan Taylor

Excerpt:

Rachaad White, Arizona State

BackCAST Score: +58.6%
Type of Back: Receiving
Similar Historical Prospects: DeMarco Murray, Ahman Green

There is a huge gap between Hall and the next-highest rated running back in this draft. Interestingly enough, BackCAST's No. 2 prospect is a sleeper who is ranked 180th overall by Scouts Inc.

So what does BackCAST like about Rachaad White? He has a good size-speed combination, running a 4.48s 40-yard dash at 214 pounds. White is the most productive receiving back in this year's draft, averaging over 40 yards per game for the Sun Devils. White also averaged a respectable 5.8 yards per attempt on the ground. White did not dominate the backfield at Arizona State, but that could be due to his late start, as he joined the team after a two-year stint at junior college.

White's rank as BackCAST's second-best running back has more to do with the weakness of the class than it does with White's projection, which is good, but hardly record-breaking. That said, White's BackCAST projection is great for the price of a fifth- or sixth-round pick.

Bucs selected Arizona State RB Rachaad White with the No. 91 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.  

White (6'/214) was an elite college receiving back with 2.59 yards per route run. However, like previous Arizona State running back Eno Benjamin, his NFL coaches may view him as more of a versatile depth option than the lead receiving option in a committee -- he does profile fairly similarly to uninspiring receiving backs like Javorius Allen and Jeremy McNichols. Still, with a 4.48 40, a 38-inch vertical, and a 125-inch broad jump, White looks sufficiently athletic to seize an opportunity if it arises. With rare receiving efficiency, solid size, and plus athleticism, he profiles as a good bet for a Kenyan Drake-like stretch of fantasy relevance. He'll be well behind Leonard Fournette, but could see playing time if Uncle Lenny, 27, struggles with injuries in 2022. 

RELATED: 

Leonard Fournette

Apr 29, 2022, 10:52 PM ET

I don't like his landing spot at all. They just resigned Fournette THIS year...so he's definitely gonna be the RB2 in that offense for the next 2 years..maybe he's the next Pollard

I'm not nearly as high on White as others. He'll be 24 at the end of his rookie season & likely 26 before he could take over for Fournette.

I also don't believe White was necessarily drafted to be a feature back. Good chance he gets drafted over, IMO.

I had a feeling that Bruce Arians somehow nudged GM Jason Licht and HC Bowles to take White during 3rd round.  This is due to his recent experience with do-everything RB David Johnson at Arizona Cardinals. 

I had a feeling that Bruce Arians somehow nudged GM Jason Licht and HC Bowles to take White during 3rd round.  This is due to his recent experience with do-everything RB David Johnson at Arizona Cardinals. 
I like that comparison. He seems to have good cutting ability, great pass catching skills, and some acceleration to him. A lot of mixed reviews on what kind of back he is torn could be though.

I like that comparison. He seems to have good cutting ability, great pass catching skills, and some acceleration to him. A lot of mixed reviews on what kind of back he is torn could be though.
“The kind that eats into Lenny’s touches?” is probably the biggest question out of the gate. 

I would put odds that Fournette is on Tampa in 2023 as 50/50 at best. 
They have a pretty easy out after ‘23. Really can’t see them cutting Fournette before then unless he declines this season. I have a strong feeling White will get drafted over once Fournette moves on.

They have a pretty easy out after ‘23. Really can’t see them cutting Fournette before then unless he declines this season. I have a strong feeling White will get drafted over once Fournette moves on.
His contract was structured for an easy out after 2022 as well and if Brady is gone I think it's not possible so much as likely they think saving $4.5-6.5M against the cap is more valuable then a 28 year old Fournette on a team probably taking a step back.

A lot of variables at play such as if Brady returns(I would be surprised), how Fournette does, how White does, etc, etc.  I threw out the 50/50 number on him returning in 2023 but I had to bet the O/U today I'd take under on him returning.

His contract was structured for an easy out after 2022 as well and if Brady is gone I think it's not possible so much as likely they think saving $4.5-6.5M against the cap is more valuable then a 28 year old Fournette on a team probably taking a step back.

A lot of variables at play such as if Brady returns(I would be surprised), how Fournette does, how White does, etc, etc.  I threw out the 50/50 number on him returning in 2023 but I had to bet the O/U today I'd take under on him returning.
Yeah, Brady could be a factor, as well.

Off the top of your head, do you know how old White is? 

He's 23 years old. Haven't seen this mentioned. He's old for a senior. 

I hadn't gotten past BRUCE ARIANS DAVID JOHNSON takes since the draft.

He's 23 years old. Haven't seen this mentioned. He's old for a senior
And he's younger then Pierre Strong, about a month older then Brian Robinson, within 6 months or less of the Georgia's  and running about a year older then Allgeier and Pierce.

The top 2 and Spiller are pretty young but it's probably the oldest RB draft class I've ever seen.

He's 23 years old. Haven't seen this mentioned. He's old for a senior. 

I hadn't gotten past BRUCE ARIANS DAVID JOHNSON takes since the draft.
Last years top back Najee was 23 and just turned 24. Age doesn’t concern me as much with RBs because their lifespan is typically shorter anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last years top back Najee was 23 and just turned 24. Age doesn’t concern me as much with RBs because their lifespan is typically shorter anyway.
It's not about lifespan. 

If a RB looks amazing as a senior, as players the same age are entering their 3rd NFL season, it's hard to evaluate them. 

White being old doesn't mean he'll bust, kind of like how Najee being old doesn't mean White is going to rush for 1,000 yards his rookie year. 

It's not about lifespan. 

If a RB looks amazing as a senior, as players the same age are entering their 3rd NFL season, it's hard to evaluate them. 

White being old doesn't mean he'll bust, kind of like how Najee being old doesn't mean White is going to rush for 1,000 yards his rookie year. 
Guy averaged 10 yards a carry his junior year. I kid…4 carries. Juco before…? I guess I don’t know the stats comparison for running backs to back anything up here. He did look good his senior year and is a receiving threat so I have some interest. We are talking about a 2nd round rookie pick here in a weak class (imo), so most of those guys have some warts.

Took him at pick 21 in a 16 team IDP league today and can stash him on the rookie taxi squad for a year, can't be happier! 

Really impressed with him.  He's fast, elusive, breaks some tackles, catches it really well.  He's set up to be a good player at the NFL level.  

I think the situation is actually pretty good.  Fournette is a good back.  But he's also someone who routinely misses time.  He's never played a full 16 (or 17) games.  While he has had a lot of passing work in TB, they aren't handing him the ball at some crazy heavy rate.  He carried the ball 180 times last year after 97 the year before.  I assume to some extent they want to limit the usage in hopes of keeping him healthy.  All this should open the door for White to see touches even as a rookie.  He'll eventually have a chance to be the starter whwenever they move on from LF.  He'll probably get to start a handful of games this year due to injury.  

Bucs signed third-round RB Rachaad White to a four-year contract. 

The Bucs' third Day 2 runner in five years, White is the team's latest attempt to find a backfield mate for Leonard Fournette. "Playoff Lenny" has been just fine as the default every-down option, but he would ideally be a part of a committee. White displayed chops on all three downs at Arizona State in 2021, and is a plus athlete at 6-foot-0. Fournette is headed into his age-27 campaign with a rather lengthy injury history, including 2021 hamstring problems. White is a name well worth filing away in re-draft leagues. 

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

May 12, 2022, 1:50 PM ET

Rachaad White looks the part as a Bucs running back Tom Brady could trust

Excerpt:

The third-round pick will enter a crowded backfield with do-it-all starter Leonard Fournette, Ke’Shawn Vaughn and veteran third-down back Giovani Bernard.

But at 6-foot-1, 214 pounds, White could provide Tom Brady a reliable target out of the backfield that the future Hall of Famer was used to during his 20 seasons in New England. With the Sun Devils, White rushed for exactly 1,000 yards and 15 touchdowns and caught 43 passes for 456 yards and another score.

“He’s a good talent, that’s why we drafted him,” Bucs coach Todd Bowles said. “Leonard is our starter, obviously. We look for White to compete with Vaughn and Gio and we’ll see from there. ... He has good size. He has good feet and good speed. We’ll see in preseason where he fits at. But he’s capable of spelling Leonard, he’s capable of catching a ball. He’s capable of doing a lot of things.”

But how quickly can White earn Brady’s trust?

Fournette had a remarkable performance in 2021. He combined for more than 1,200 yards rushing and receiving. But the workload — he had 249 touches in 13 games — wore him down toward the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Brady no longer trusted Ronald Jones, who rushed for close to 1,000 yards during the Bucs’ Super Bowl 55 run, because he was bad in pass protection. Jones signed with the Chiefs as a free agent.

“Why it’s tough to get Lenny off the field, he’s a three-down back,” offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich said of Fournette. “He’s a smart guy, and he and Tom can play ball. They can play ball together when it starts moving on them and things are changing and things have to happen, Lenny and him can play ball. They’ve been in these situations.

“That’s why it’s hard to really get him off the field because of what he brings and the connection him and Tom have. I think it’s unique. It’s not that we’re forcing him on that field. It’s because he’s the best in what we’re asking him to do. We’ll see how it plays out this year.”

Bucs running backs coach Todd McNair said White has to first learn the offense and be sound in his assignments, something that can occasionally trip up Fournette.

“(Fournette’s) got a feel for getting open sometimes, and he’s got a habit for ad-libbing and that can get him in trouble,” McNair said. “Doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. He’ll go do a fake, ‘I’ve got to run out here in the flat,’ but the backers are dropping so he’ll just turn around and Tom will hit him. They got a little street ball feel for each other and that can get Lenny in trouble a lot. He ends up in the wrong place a lot. There’s a plus and minus. But him and Tom are comfortable together … that’s probably why Lenny wound up coming back.”

During Friday’s first rookie minicamp practice, White rarely left McNair’s side. Between plays, they were constantly talking about some of the nuances of the offense.

With his size and catch radius, White should have an advantage over some of the Bucs’ other backs as a receiver who can split out wide and win on routes.

“From a receiving standpoint, he’s a bigger target,” McNair said of White. “From a range standpoint, he’s got more range and things like that. That’s where it matters. Gio running a slant vs. Rachaad running a slant. Bigger target, catch radius. The more range you have in the passing game as you split out, that’s going to be an advantage.

“I think he’ll fit good. That was a really good scheme fit. You think back, we’ve always talked about David Johnson and what his role was in Arizona in the offense. Lenny got a feel for that because he could split out and do wide receiver stuff. The versatility is a plus.”

At least on Friday, White looked the part of an NFL player.

“When you walk out on that grass as a football player, man, all the football instincts just come in,” he said after his first practice. “But there were times that I caught myself just looking around. Looking at the logo on everybody’s helmet, looking at the jersey colors. Yeah, it’s crazy. I’m on the Buccaneers, so it’s wild.”

Running back Rashaad White just looks the part. His build and the way he moves just resembles an NFL running back. White has natural hands and catches the ball effortlessly. When he runs the ball, he just glides on the field with long strides. I’ve maintained that White will beat out Ke’Shawn Vaughn for the No. 2 running back spot behind Leonard Fournette this year. After watching White in rookie mini-camp, I feel even better about that prediction. 

https://www.pewterreport.com/bucs-monday-mailbag-which-rookies-impressed/

Nice things to hear but not going to get too excited yet because IIRC there was also positive press about Vaughn (also a 3rd round draft pick) heading into his rookie year.

zamboni said:
Nice things to hear but not going to get too excited yet because IIRC there was also positive press about Vaughn (also a 3rd round draft pick) heading into his rookie year.

I thought Vaughn's big thing was his landing spot and people were down on Ronald Jones.  Vaughn was going in the 1st round of a lot of rookie drafts early.  Then they signed Fournette and the rest is history.  

White you're going to get in the 2nd it seems, which makes him much more intriguing.  

I thought Vaughn's big thing was his landing spot and people were down on Ronald Jones.  Vaughn was going in the 1st round of a lot of rookie drafts early.  Then they signed Fournette and the rest is history.  

White you're going to get in the 2nd it seems, which makes him much more intriguing.  
Good points. My concern would be that even next year if they move on from Fournette, they could bring someone else in. 3rd round draft capital is decent but not exactly protective. But as you say, White should be going later than Vaughn did (unless of course White lights it up in camp).

Likely a really high volume guy in 2024.  Could be as soon as 2023 though if Leonard Fournette isn't as motivated without Tom Brady. 

He is the only guy they have drafted in the last few years that specifically has pass catching chops and where that is specifically considered a strength. It seems logical to me that if he isn't a bust and can be halfway competent, that he will supplant anyone else on the depth chart behind Fournette here in year one. With the assumption being that he helps makes them a better win-now team today than in 2023. Vs either Vaughn or Gio that is. I'm not sure Gio is going to be his old self again or that he will have anything more than the occasional 3rd option role. So if it isn't Rachaad as the obvious #2 then perhaps we are way too low on Vaughn. But I sort of doubt that.

Long story short I think White holds enormous value right now. Lot of it based on nothing more than potential (rookie fever), but for a late round handcuff who would likely get a lot of work if something happened to the incumbent, he is as good as they get ATM. And I think as the #2 he may get more run that people think. 

He has a dead cap hit of over $5M in 2023.  He may not be interested in playing for the Bucs at that point, but based on the $$ he'd still be the guy.
Yea, looks like they only save 3 mill if they cut him next year. 

Things change, it's not a guarantee he will be there, but that contract doesn't scream 'cut' at all

Users who are viewing this thread