What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/RB/RB? (1 Viewer)

ATG

Footballguy
I'm in a PPR league that starts 2 running backs, 2 receivers and one flex of either running back, receiver or tightend. I typically draft 2 or 3 running backs and 2 or 3 receivers in my first 5 picks. I dont draft 3 backs or 3 receivers with my first 3 picks. I don't like having my first running back or my first receiver being my 4th pick. Am I wrong in thinking this? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

It depends, who in the 3rd round are you gunning for? Like most, I'm a huge proponent of going RB/RB this year but in the 3rd round the value seems to be in WRs. Let's compare..

RB:

Sproles

Gore

Murray

Miller

DMC

Wilson

WR:

J. Jones

D. Thomas

Fitz

Cobb

R. White

A. Johnson

I see a lot of question marks in the 3rd round. Truth is there's more value at the WR position as you delve deeper into the draft but I'm usually more inclined to lock up a stud WR than a RB with a ton of question marks in the 3rd round. Sproles and Murray are the only two I'd grab, the latter being more of a gamble.

I'm in a draft next week with a similar setup (although no PPR).

I'm drafting from the 11 slot, and unless Calvin slips, I'm near certain I'm going to draft RB,RB,WR,RB for the first 4 rounds. I've mocked it like 100 times, and I just don't like the look of my team if I do it any other way. If Calvin is there I'd probably take him, but then I'm praying for a decent RB to fall to 3.11 and that just doesn't happen much in my mocks.

I like the rb rb rb look to my team. Wr seem deep to me. In the 5th/6th. I can live w Garçon / Ty Hilton/ josh Gordon / Austin type much better than Ingram type RB

I often do RB/RB/RB in my start 2 RB leagues. It just depends on who's available in each given round, but I'm confident that I can find good solutions for WR/QB later on in the draft. Sometimes I'll take 4 RBs in the 1st 5 rounds if the right guys are available. I usually don't even think about QB until 6th round or later. Every year I have one of the strongest stables of RBs in the league which comes in handy as the season wears on and the injuries and busts inevitably surface - either on my own roster or other peoples' roster. Scarcity of quality RBs makes them worth more than any other position in trades in most conventional lineup/scoring systems.

If it's a start 1 RB league (which I think more leagues should adopt), I wouldn't go that RB heavy in the early rounds. Just make sure I've got a couple of solid guys and then pick up guys I like at the points in the draft where it makes sense to do so.

Unless I hit serious bad luck, I usually make the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in a league with the same set up at #2, and a history of being very RB heavy. .5 ppr for all offensive players

My assumption going in was that I'd go D Martin then a RB and WR in whatever order, assuming it would be J Jones, D Thomas or worst case L Fitz.

Only way I'd deviate would be if somehow ALL the good RBs I'd want in the tier were taken (very unlikely, and I'd probably go two WR there or maybe even Brees) or if Graham dropped, which he did not.

To my surprise, I went RB-RB-RB. S Jax and Murray. I know Murray's an injury risk, but as a third RB I am taking a calculated risk for the upside. After that tier of WR was gone, the drop from say A Johnson to R Wayne wouldn't be as much as whatever my flex would be.

That's just my take... you can get decently close to a similar WR at 4/5 but the drop in RB's is precipitous. In fact, I find almost as much value at RB 6/7 as 4/5.

It depends, who in the 3rd round are you gunning for? Like most, I'm a huge proponent of going RB/RB this year but in the 3rd round the value seems to be in WRs. Let's compare..

RB:

Sproles

Gore

Murray

Miller

DMC

Wilson

WR:

J. Jones

D. Thomas

Fitz

Cobb

R. White

A. Johnson

I see a lot of question marks in the 3rd round. Truth is there's more value at the WR position as you delve deeper into the draft but I'm usually more inclined to lock up a stud WR than a RB with a ton of question marks in the 3rd round. Sproles and Murray are the only two I'd grab, the latter being more of a gamble.
but julio, and thomas wont be there in round 3 unless your extremely lucky.. and fitz, cobb, and white all could be gone if your picking late in round 3 though.

you really have to play the value game, which most likely is rb-rb- wide out

would hate to start out wr-wr and have mcfadden or murray as your top backs

RB:

Sproles

Gore

Murray

Miller

DMC

Wilson

WR:

J. Jones

D. Thomas

Fitz

Cobb

R. White

A. Johnson

but julio, and thomas wont be there in round 3 unless your extremely lucky.. and fitz, cobb, and white all could be gone if your picking late in round 3 though.

you really have to play the value game, which most likely is rb-rb- wide out

would hate to start out wr-wr and have mcfadden or murray as your top backs
Julio, Fitz and Thomas were all gone by 2.10 in our draft (12 teams). Cobb and White went fairly early/mid third. In a traditionally RB heavy league

I had my draft tonight with a similar setup (2 RB, 2 WR, 1 FLEX). We all get one keeper then start the draft. I kept Marshawn Lynch then with picks 1.12 & 2.01 I took Jones-Drew & Reggie Bush. My two receivers are Reggie Wayne & Jordy Nelson. I may be hurting but I think they'll both be fine this year.

RB's are always the highest commodity to acquire. They make for great trade bait, much better than WR or second tier QB.

I just went RB, RB, RB in a draft and got:

• Alfred Morris
  • Steven Jackson
  • Frank Gore
My starting WRs were:

• Marques Colston
  • Steve Smith
  • TY Hilton
Tony Romo and Jordan Cameron to round out the starting lineup.

You can draft any which way and have a great draft as long as you mostly take the good values throughout and don't get too locked into any one plan.

I just went RB, RB, RB in a draft and got:

• Alfred Morris
  • Steven Jackson
  • Frank Gore
My starting WRs were:

• Marques Colston
  • Steve Smith
  • TY Hilton
Tony Romo and Jordan Cameron to round out the starting lineup.
Not bad...but jackson and gore scare me over the entire season...im not sure they hold up

Not a bad idea but I like RB/RB/WR/RB better. You can still get a low end WR1 in the 3rd and I like the value of 4th RB better over guys like Gore, McFadden, Miller, etc.

Its good to have a strategy but at the same time being flexiable is a must or your gonna end up chasing players and not drafting value

I went RB/QB/RB/RB/TE in my 12 teamer (had 1.01 and 3RR), my WRs are rough!!!

Honestly wouldn't recommend it
Who are your WRs and are you in a 2RB/2WR/Flex league or just two RB. Makes a big difference.

FWIW, I ended up, shockingly (to myself at least) going RB, RB, RB, QB, TE, RB. I expected to wait on QB, though as the run happened right after, this ended being a decent move. TE was Gronk, who I never thought would drop to the fifth, but he did and I'll take the chance on proven upside. Decent chance he will be at at least a FF WR#2 level, if not better, by week 4-5, if I can sustain the early games.

My WRs - I'll start two of the three

A Boldin, SF - Hardly spectacular, but he has a history of producing when needed, and he's needed. If Caep's so good, even with V Davis, the #1WR should get enough looks and enough redzone looks to be workable.

James Jones, GB - Big upside, has shown he can get to the endzone and there are a lot of yards AND TDs in that offense. Obviously concerned re: consistency, but these are rounds 7, 8 and 9.

C. Givens STL - Could be the traditional #1 on an offense that many think might take a step forward, and again, showed last year he can do it in game. But hardly "proven"

Now, hardly D Thomas and Wayne or Garcon, and it's not for everyone - but with the players presented to me when they were, I think those three WRs as my "worst" two starters overall will make my going all in on RB (also got Lacy) worthwhile. And certainly some trade opportunity.

Not a bad idea but I like RB/RB/WR/RB better. You can still get a low end WR1 in the 3rd and I like the value of 4th RB better over guys like Gore, McFadden, Miller, etc.
4th rb: ball, gio, Matthews don't excite me.
Lacy? Vereen?
Would rather roll w Wilson as a flex and take garcon and torry smith as my wrs. Plus I have seen lacy at the end of the 3rd so iffy he is there.

I went RB/QB/RB/RB/TE in my 12 teamer (had 1.01 and 3RR), my WRs are rough!!!

Honestly wouldn't recommend it
Who are your WRs and are you in a 2RB/2WR/Flex league or just two RB. Makes a big difference.

FWIW, I ended up, shockingly (to myself at least) going RB, RB, RB, QB, TE, RB. I expected to wait on QB, though as the run happened right after, this ended being a decent move. TE was Gronk, who I never thought would drop to the fifth, but he did and I'll take the chance on proven upside. Decent chance he will be at at least a FF WR#2 level, if not better, by week 4-5, if I can sustain the early games.

My WRs - I'll start two of the three

A Boldin, SF - Hardly spectacular, but he has a history of producing when needed, and he's needed. If Caep's so good, even with V Davis, the #1WR should get enough looks and enough redzone looks to be workable.

James Jones, GB - Big upside, has shown he can get to the endzone and there are a lot of yards AND TDs in that offense. Obviously concerned re: consistency, but these are rounds 7, 8 and 9.

C. Givens STL - Could be the traditional #1 on an offense that many think might take a step forward, and again, showed last year he can do it in game. But hardly "proven"

Now, hardly D Thomas and Wayne or Garcon, and it's not for everyone - but with the players presented to me when they were, I think those three WRs as my "worst" two starters overall will make my going all in on RB (also got Lacy) worthwhile. And certainly some trade opportunity.
Its a 10 offensive starters plus a KR. (1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 PK, 2 flex (1 W/R, 1 W/T), & 1 KR*; PPR .5/1/1.5 and all TDs 6 pts

Went ADP at 1.01

Rodgers at 2.12, thought that was good value at 6 pt TDs

Gore at 3.12 and then Sproles at 4.01. To me, this came down to having a Bowe / Colston / Nicks type as my WR 1 and struggle with RB depth at the flex position and in case of injury to ADP or Gore or do I take the opp at 4.01 and lock up the RB slots then. I decided to take the RB and lock it and prayed that Nicks or Colston would come back. Not a chance. 5.12 i took Gonzo who was by the highest scoring player from last yr (not QB) by a decent margin.

I wanted all those WRs u mentioned because they are great value but missed on Given and Boldin; my league mates are pretty smart.

6.01 - James Jones / 7.12 Ty Hylton / 9.12 M Williams / 10.01 Lance Moore.

My take on this is simple:

Later half of the draft, take 2 RBs you're confident in. Go for one guy who is consistant weekly like Lynch. With the second try for CJ or Forte. CJ if you don't mind some bad weeks but he could be top 5ish. Forte will probably low end RB1 in PPR.

Top portion of the draft it's a, does CJ, MJD, Bush get to me question. I'll take all of those and then get the best available WR. If you can get 2 I could see RB/RB/RB. If you can't get any I go WR/WR.

You can draft any which way and have a great draft as long as you mostly take the good values throughout and don't get too locked into any one plan.
Its good to have a strategy but at the same time being flexiable is a must or your gonna end up chasing players and not drafting value
Exactly. Get an idea of what would be value plays each round and go from there. I don't understand the posters who "know" they are going to draft a certain order. Why put the blinders on and decide before your draft you are going to take 3RBs?

I often do RB/RB/RB in my start 2 RB leagues. It just depends on who's available in each given round, but I'm confident that I can find good solutions for WR/QB later on in the draft. Sometimes I'll take 4 RBs in the 1st 5 rounds if the right guys are available. I usually don't even think about QB until 6th round or later. Every year I have one of the strongest stables of RBs in the league which comes in handy as the season wears on and the injuries and busts inevitably surface - either on my own roster or other peoples' roster. Scarcity of quality RBs makes them worth more than any other position in trades in most conventional lineup/scoring systems.

If it's a start 1 RB league (which I think more leagues should adopt), I wouldn't go that RB heavy in the early rounds. Just make sure I've got a couple of solid guys and then pick up guys I like at the points in the draft where it makes sense to do so.

Unless I hit serious bad luck, I usually make the playoffs.
This is how I approach my auctions - build a strong stable of RBs. Taking a shot at 5-6 RBs that I think could hit, seems to always work well. If I have more than I need, I trade to strengthen other positions. This is in RB, RB flex leagues and I think it works great.

Exactly. Get an idea of what would be value plays each round and go from there. I don't understand the posters who "know" they are going to draft a certain order. Why put the blinders on and decide before your draft you are going to take 3RBs?
RIght.

are you really gonna wanna reach at the turn of 2 and 3 to take mcfadden and murray (purely example) just so you can take 3 rbs to start even if a julio or jimmy some how managed to fall that far?

lets say your picking at 1.. you can really plan a head by picking out 25 guys that you really want and you'll be able to see how the chips could possibly fall.

End of the day though its your team and you gotta be happy with it.

My opinion, not in this era. Wr score too much to not have two top 15-20.
I generally agree, but the dynamic with 3 RBs starting, or a flex that allows it, does change things a bit. In our case, everyone gets .5 PPR, so if you get a RB that should receive 40+ catches, and especially if they have a chance for 55+, that's huge.

IMO you also have far more WR's who should score pretty well on a week to week basis and/or have upside any given week. There are a LOT less RBs who can give you the same. So many split backfields, and if you get the 40% of a 60-40 split and dont get a TD, ouch. Meanwhile, a 2nd WR on a passing team, or even a third receiving option on a big time passing offense give either consistency as a possession guy with PPR, upside with TD potential and in some cases, both.

So, you can get viable starters in the 6-9 rd at WR, but, especially at 8-9, good luck finding anything but a backup or upside flyer who needs a lot to go right as a RB.

I don't disagree. The thing is, when I look at the receivers available, and try to figure out who the top 15 or 20 are most likely to be, I'm seeing very strong candidates being drafted as low as the 120's.

Why would you make this decision before the draft?

Why not make it based on the players available at the time?

Because for the players available at the time to have any meaning, you need to have already considered how valuable they are, relative to one another.

Nobody goes in dead set on picking 3 RB's in the three first picks. But it's nice to know if it's viable just in case...as your post suggests...the best players available at the time would have you end up with RB/RB/RB.

I don't disagree. The thing is, when I look at the receivers available, and try to figure out who the top 15 or 20 are most likely to be, I'm seeing very strong candidates being drafted as low as the 120's.
IMO, that is BECAUSE of this era. You have less full time RBs (arguably, but it seems that way) and MORE WR options because of the increase in passing.

So, at best you have the same relative depth at RB as before, if not less, for viable fantasy starters. You have a lot more WR's to choose from who can at least be viable - not talking studs here, but solid #2 and #3 types and even #4's with upside or startability. By the time you are at those tiers of RBs, you are hoping for 5-10 touches and maybe a RD.

This is exactly what you should do. That said, you need to be aware of the effects that your 2nd and 3rd round picks will have later on. It's not as simple as BPA, it has to be more of a VBD decision. I might have a slightly better WR to take in the 2nd/3rd round as compared to a RB. But if I believe that in round 4/5 (or later), I can get a considerably better WR than RB, it might be better to take the slightly lesser RB in the 2nd/3rd and the significantly better WR in the latter rounds in terms of building a team.

I agree you have to let the draft come to you...I also think it serves as an example that you can go in this direction and if you find yourself at RB/RB/RB in a draft, here are some ideas how to maneuver the rest of the way.

You obviously have to be flexible and able to adapt to any draft situation but going into it with a plan is always helpful. I mock like an animal to get a grasp on how people react in certain positions, situations and etc. In my experience thus far, going RB/RB/WR has been optimal. On average, I see myself taking this direction but there's always a chance someone falls to far and etc.

Started my Omega 20 draft with the #1 pick. Went RB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, QB

1. AP - Duh

2. Reggie (PPR Beast)

3. Sproles (See above)

4. Nicks (Way Undervalued IMO)

5. Wayne (Steady Eddie)

6. Desean Jackson (Love big play ability)

7. Kaepernick (Not Planned, but couldn't pass him up)

Love my team so far........a lot of other teams have RB2's and RB3's with huge question marks. Maybe I don't have a consensus stud WR, but I like Nicks to return to form. Wayne is solid every year. I think Jackson will be a great WR3.

Started my Omega 20 draft with the #1 pick. Went RB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, QB

1. AP - Duh

2. Reggie (PPR Beast)

3. Sproles (See above)

4. Nicks (Way Undervalued IMO)

5. Wayne (Steady Eddie)

6. Desean Jackson (Love big play ability)

7. Kaepernick (Not Planned, but couldn't pass him up)

Love my team so far........a lot of other teams have RB2's and RB3's with huge question marks. Maybe I don't have a consensus stud WR, but I like Nicks to return to form. Wayne is solid every year. I think Jackson will be a great WR3.
That's exactly what I think I'll be looking at, except I'll have either Martin or TRich from the #2 spot. Our league gets return yards as well, making Sproles HUGE! In this scenario, I'll be ecstatic if I can start RB-RB-RB with the same three as you at the top of the draft, and take my chances with a few #2 WR's that have big upside. But, it all depends on the league setup, and how the draft flows.

You need to let the draft come to you. I just finished a 12 team PPR draft from the #4 spot. It was an online draft that took about a week. Due to other owners taking WRs and QBs in the first two rounds, I ended up with Arian Foster, Matt Forte, and Reggie Bush. I wasn't looking to target a RB in round 3, but I couldn't let the owners who took top WRs end up with Bush in a PPR.

You need to let the draft come to you. I just finished a 12 team PPR draft from the #4 spot. It was an online draft that took about a week. Due to other owners taking WRs and QBs in the first two rounds, I ended up with Arian Foster, Matt Forte, and Reggie Bush. I wasn't looking to target a RB in round 3, but I couldn't let the owners who took top WRs end up with Bush in a PPR.
Drafting 3rd in a 12 man PPR (Flex) league, I took Jamaal Charles 1st, MJD 2nd, and Bush 3rd. My team ended up like this:

Tony Romo

Jamaal Charles

MJD

Vincent Jackson

Eric Decker

Jason Witten

Reggie Bush

K

D

Somewhat weak at WR, but I like it.

drafting from the 2 slot

i went rb rb rb

doug martin

chris johnson

darren sproles

cam newton

a. brown

for my first 5

the rest of my team includes, t. austin, andy dalton, ahmad bradshaw, bernard pierce, desean, alshon jeffery,

greg olsen, pettigrew, heath miller (took a late round flyer on him), akers and ravens defense

we start a combnation of 4 running backs or recievers so i can start 3 running backs and only 1 wide out so my lack of a stud receiver isnt as big a problem as in a league where you need 2 wide outs.

my other wide outs are tavon austin, desean jackson and alshon jefferies.

not sure how i would feel if I needed to use any of those as an every week #2 wr.. I wasnt planning on taking a qb that early but I figured Cam at 4.11 was too good of value to pass up

one more thing.. david wilson and lamar miller were both there at 4.11 if I would of known that I probably would of went with a wide out instead of sproles at 3.2

still think

Users who are viewing this thread