What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (1 Viewer)

I'm not seeing why anyone would think the Giants will be good this year, Daboll may make them more watchable but their roster is really really bad. The new GM can't turn it around in one season.
No, but the OL should be improved, and Barkley looks healthy.
OL is not good.
No, but it’s better than it was.
They certainly have invested the draft capital. Although Thomas has been quite bad.

MFL still has him as RB11 & pick ~18 overall (12 team, redraft, PPR, no-mocks, stupid 1QB format)

Kamara jumped to RB8, pick ~15-16

You still confident about those rankings @Deamon ?
Yup, still think you can get him at pick 14. He didn't go before pick 14 in any of my 7 drafts so far.

MFL still has him as RB11 & pick ~18 overall (12 team, redraft, PPR, no-mocks, stupid 1QB format)

Yup, still think you can get him at pick 14. He didn't go before pick 14 in any of my 7 drafts so far.
Pick 14? So he went 15 in at least one. Brother you were saying pick (and this is being generous because I don't want to go dig.up our previous conversation) but you were talking 2.6 at the earliest for Barkley (I think for Kamara too but I may be misremembering that).

I'm going to apologize a little here because, perhaps I was unclear that my perspective often focuses on a labor day draft, because that's how I do. When you are in dozens of leagues, or whatever, as it seems you are I guess I can see how you would put more focus on ADP, and give much more weight to the DP than the A as you seem to do.

Bottom line is if someone is worth the 1.12-2.02 pick today should you really fault the person who took him there 2/4/6 weeks ago? Those people were ahead of the curve and the ones who stuck to ADP took someone in those spots who has fallen out of favor now that we have more information. And, at this moment, we look at the people who got Saquon & Barkley at 2.7 or 3.1 as lucky that they fell.

Not trying to "get over" or start a fight just pointing out how fast things change in the magic football world.

Last edited:

Pick 14? Brother you were saying pick (and this is being generous because I don't want to go dig.up our previous conversation) but you were talking 2.6 at the earliest for Barkley (I think for Kamara too but I may be misremembering that).

I'm going to apologize a little here because, perhaps I was unclear that my perspective often focuses on a labor day draft, because that's how I do. When you are in dozens of leagues, or whatever, as it seems you are I guess I can see how you would put more focus on ADP, and give much more weight to the DP than the A as you seem to do.

Bottom line is if someone is worth the 1.12-2.02 pick today should you really fault the person who took him there 2/4/6 weeks ago? Those people were ahead of the curve and the ones who stuck to ADP took someone in those spots who has fallen out of favor now that we have more information. And, at this moment, we look at the people who got Saquon & Barkley at 2.7 or 3.1 as lucky that they fell.

Not trying to "get over" or start a fight just pointing out how fast things change in the magic football world.
1st Bolded: I never said that at all. I was in agreement with you that I loved Barkley. The entire discussion was if you should take him at pick 10. I said no, because he will be there at pick 15 for you to take. In all 7 of my drafts so far, he has been there at pick 15 so my case rests. If you have pick 10, aim for him at 2.03 and take someone else at 1.10.

2nd Bolded: Now you're twisting things... the discussion was about 1.10... NOT about "1.12-2.02" I never faulted someone who took him at 1.12-2.02 2/4/6 weeks ago like you're saying. I faulted someone who took him at 1.10, because he is most often (7 for 7 in my leagues) there at 2.03. The current data confirms this as well, since you just said his ADP on MFL is now at 2.06. So I'd definitely still wait at 1.10 and take him at 2.03.

Pick 14? Brother you were saying pick (and this is being generous because I don't want to go dig.up our previous conversation) but you were talking 2.6 at the earliest for Barkley (I think for Kamara too but I may be misremembering that).

1st Bolded: I never said that at all. I was in agreement with you that I loved Barkley. The entire discussion was if you should take him at pick 10. I said no, because he will be there at pick 15 for you to take. In all 7 of my drafts so far, he has been there at pick 15 so my case rests. If you have pick 10, aim for him at 2.03 and take someone else at 1.10.

2nd Bolded: Now you're twisting things... the discussion was about 1.10... NOT about "1.12-2.02" I never faulted someone who took him at 1.12-2.02 2/4/6 weeks ago like you're saying. I faulted someone who took him at 1.10, because he is most often (7 for 7 in my leagues) there at 2.03. The current data confirms this as well, since you just said his ADP on MFL is now at 2.06. So I'd definitely still wait at 1.10 and take him at 2.03.
Oh yeah, I think it was in the 1.10 thread but was 2.3 ever on the table for you in there? Maybe I'm misremembering. I'll let you do the fact checking on all that. Let me know if I was wrong.

@Chaka looks like you responded by asking me if he went 15 in one of my drafts but deleted it.

He did, he went 15 twice actually. All 7 times, the drafter at 1.10 passed on him and could get him at 2.03 if they wanted. I know this is a small sample size, but the ADP date from thousands of drafts is also consistent with him going around pick 15 (actually it's lower at 18).

Oh yeah, I think it was in the 1.10 thread but was 2.3 ever on the table for you in there? Maybe I'm misremembering. I'll let you do the fact checking on all that. Let me know if I was wrong.
Not sure what you mean by 'was the 2.03 ever on the table for you in there?". I really like the player and would take him above his ADP. If i had pick 10, I'm probably targetting him at the 2.03 for sure and that's only a small reach above his adp.

PS... I think in your league it makes even more sense to pass on him at 1.10. I would imagine in a 2QB league, he drops much lower than the 18th average position he is going now.

@Deamon I was going to ask about pick 15 but decided it didn't matter. Honestly none of this does.

I was simply wondering if you were still adamant about not taking a guy like Saquon or Kamara in the, let's say, 1.10-2.04 range as I recall you were roughly 5-10 days ago?

My recollection is the idea of taking Barkley before 2.6 (I think you were closer to 2.9-3.01 but memory is a funny thing, and I'm not going to spend the time looking it up) was off the table for you because, according to ADP you could get him later.

My question is, if he is worth RB11 (~pick 18) now, and in here it seems closer to pick 13-14, was it wrong to take him there a week ago? Or even a month ago? It could change tomorrow, but right now weren't those drafters ahead of the curve?

Barring injury, do you se Barkley's value dropping between now and Saturday, when most magic football drafts are complete?

And @Deamon this coming Saturday I fully expect Barkley (and Kamara) to be available at pick 2.09, or so, in my draft. But that is only because we actually value the most important position in real football, by far (and unquestionably), somewhat appropriately relative to the rest of theagic football community.

I was simply wondering if you were still adamant about not taking a guy like Saquon or Kamara in the, let's say, 1.10-2.04 range as I recall you were roughly 5-10 days ago?
This is quite the straw man you've created here. You're taking a range (1.10-2.04) that we never discussed. I never said I was against taking him at 2.04... I said I was against taking him at 1.10, and FOR taking him at 2.03 in that case.

My recollection is the idea of taking Barkley before 2.6 (I think you were closer to 2.9-3.01 but memory is a funny thing, and I'm not going to spend the time looking it up) was off the table for you because, according to ADP you could get him later.
Your recollection is quite wrong. If this was the case, how would it be bad to take him at 2.05 'if you could get him later'? His ADP wasn't late 3rd Round, so I never would have claimed to pass on him at 2.05 as you 'could get him later'. (as you're remembering)

My question is, if he is worth RB11 (~pick 18) now, and in here it seems closer to pick 13-14, was it wrong to take him there a week ago? Or even a month ago? It could change tomorrow, but right now weren't those drafters ahead of the curve?
Is he worth RB11? He is now and he was 5-10 days ago. You're really stretching your numbers here... how is RB11 ever pick 13? Those 3 WR's aren't dropping out of the first round almost anywhere but that's besides the point.
To your 2nd question, were the drafters that were taking him as RB11 'ahead of the curve'? Sure. I was one of those people who had him around RB11 a few weeks back. The whole discussion was that I wouldn't take a guy I have ranked at about pick 18, at the 1.10 spot. I'd wait and take him at 2.03.

Barring injury, do you se Barkley's value dropping between now and Saturday, when most magic football drafts are complete?
No I don't see his value at all dropping between now and Saturday. I think his value this weekend will still be around RB11 (pick 15-20). I've always said I'm targetting him in the middle of round 2 and would still (always have, always will) take him above his ADP. Just never at pick 10 because you also get pick 15. We're saying the same thing here, I'm not sure what you're trying to argue or prove because you're creating arguments that I never said.

This is quite the straw man you've created here. You're taking a range (1.10-2.04) that we never discussed. I never said I was against taking him at 2.04... I said I was against taking him at 1.10, and FOR taking him at 2.03 in that case.

Your recollection is quite wrong. If this was the case, how would it be bad to take him at 2.05 'if you could get him later'? His ADP wasn't late 3rd Round, so I never would have claimed to pass on him at 2.05 as you 'could get him later'. (as you're remembering)

Is he worth RB11? He is now and he was 5-10 days ago. You're really stretching your numbers here... how is RB11 ever pick 13? Those 3 WR's aren't dropping out of the first round almost anywhere but that's besides the point.
To your 2nd question, were the drafters that were taking him as RB11 'ahead of the curve'? Sure. I was one of those people who had him around RB11 a few weeks back. The whole discussion was that I wouldn't take a guy I have ranked at about pick 18, at the 1.10 spot. I'd wait and take him at 2.03.

No I don't see his value at all dropping between now and Saturday. I think his value this weekend will still be around RB11 (pick 15-20). I've always said I'm targetting him in the middle of round 2 and would still (always have, always will) take him above his ADP. Just never at pick 10 because you also get pick 15. We're saying the same thing here, I'm not sure what you're trying to argue or prove because you're creating arguments that I never said.
Well, I guess if that's how you remember it, party on.

I'm not seeing why anyone would think the Giants will be good this year, Daboll may make them more watchable but their roster is really really bad. The new GM can't turn it around in one season.
No, but the OL should be improved, and Barkley looks healthy.
OL is not good.
Not sure how we know this, but they've invested heavily in the OL so we'll see.

With Daboll, Barkley may lead the league in touches - barring injury, I see a big season ahead.

Well, I guess if that's how you remember it, party on.
"If that's how I remember it?". C'mon man, if you're going to put words in my mouth at least show your work.

How is it possible I said to not take Barkley at 2.05 because you could " get him later"... are you suggesting that I wrote that he'd be available at someone's 3.08 pick? You remember me suggesting to pass at 2.05 because you could get him at 3.08?

Jake Ciely has on several occasions illustrated why being on a "bad" team is not one of the most important stats to consider when drafting a RB.
I pick 9th tonight in a 10 team league and plan on taking Barkley in the early 2nd. Would have no problem with a Kamara/Barkley pairing; in a ppr league I think that's gold, Jerry, gold.
Not just in a PPR league. In our 14 team standard, Kamara went @ 1.12 and Barkley went @2.3 (picks 12 and 17) to the same owner.

Last edited:
Who would you take between Barkley and Swift in full PPR?

I had that choice on Sunday and took Swift, mainly because the Lions OL is supposed to be top 5. I know Giants OL is "better" than last year but sounds like Neal has been less than impressive in preseason. Barkley will definitely get a higher volume.

Still not sure if I made the right or wrong decision but will be fun to see how it plays out.

I had that choice on Sunday and took Swift, mainly because the Lions OL is supposed to be top 5. I know Giants OL is "better" than last year but sounds like Neal has been less than impressive in preseason. Barkley will definitely get a higher volume.

Still not sure if I made the right or wrong decision but will be fun to see how it plays out.
I had that decision at 2.08 and went Barkley.

I have Swift in a 16 team dynasty and like the dude, but my reasoning was that Barkley has no competition for carries, and Swift actually seems like more of an injury risk based on the last two seasons.

I have Swift in a 16 team dynasty and like the dude, but my reasoning was that Barkley has no competition for carries, and Swift actually seems like more of an injury risk based on the last two seasons.
Just curious on the bolded part.

Swift has played 13 games each of the last two seasons. Barkley played 13 last year and 2 in 2020. Just don't see how Swift is more of an injury risk.

I have Barkley in a dynasty league so hope both do well (and think they will) but I'm actually worried more about injury to Barkley with a heavier workload and not as good of an o-line

Swift has played 13 games each of the last two seasons. Barkley played 13 last year and 2 in 2020. Just don't see how Swift is more of an injury risk.

I have Barkley in a dynasty league so hope both do well (and think they will) but I'm actually worried more about injury to Barkley with a heavier workload and not as good of an o-line
But why wouldn’t you want the heavier workload?

With RBs, it’s all about getting the dude who’s gonna get more touches.

And apologies - I was half joking about injury risk. I guess it was too subtle or poorly delivered, likely the latter.

I want the dude who isn’t in a time-share.

And not joking, at least Barkley tried to play through his injury, where Swift has had his toughness questioned by his own coach.

But why wouldn’t you want the heavier workload?

With RBs, it’s all about getting the dude who’s gonna get more touches.

And apologies - I was half joking about injury risk. I guess it was too subtle or poorly delivered, likely the latter.

I want the dude who isn’t in a time-share.

And not joking, at least Barkley tried to play through his injury, where Swift has had his toughness questioned by his own coach.
Nothing negative about a heavier workload, but more of an injury risk. I think Swift will still have a good workload and do more with it behind a really good OL and his role in the passing game. It was close for me and still not sure I would do it again if I had a do over.

I think Campbell was challenging Swift more than questioning his toughness. Guess he put on a few pounds of muscle this year too, which will help.

Nothing negative about a heavier workload, but more of an injury risk. I think Swift will still have a good workload and do more with it behind a really good OL and his role in the passing game. It was close for me and still not sure I would do it again if I had a do over.

I think Campbell was challenging Swift more than questioning his toughness. Guess he put on a few pounds of muscle this year too, which will help.
Makes sense. And honesty if I had the picks over again I might go swift over Barkley.

I think it’s a coin flip, really. Both have health questions, Swift has more competition for carries but runs behind a better OL.

I’ll say this - that was the most difficult pick of my draft. I took almost the full 2 mins to pick Barkley. And it’s not like I’ve been burned before - I have never rostered him.

A small part of it was not wanting to be overly invested in Swift. And like I said, I have him in a big league already.

I pick 9th tonight in a 10 team league and plan on taking Barkley in the early 2nd. Would have no problem with a Kamara/Barkley pairing; in a ppr league I think that's gold, Jerry, gold.
Wouldn't be bad.... you're not considering others at 9 over Kamara in full PPR? Diggs/Chase/Mixon/Cook?

Swift actually seems like more of an injury risk based on the last two seasons.
Based on the last two seasons where Swift missed 6 games and Barkley 17 games?
Injuries like high ankle sprains and torn ACL's are isolated injuries that are no more likely to happen as an ongoing issue. Swift has had groin issues multiple times as well as a concussion that caused him to miss games. To me, those types of injuries are more likely to recur (groin injury since it has happened in multiple years) over and ACL or high ankle sprains. Types of injuries do matter when evaluating the injury proneness of a player.

Swift actually seems like more of an injury risk based on the last two seasons.
Based on the last two seasons where Swift missed 6 games and Barkley 17 games?
Injuries like high ankle sprains and torn ACL's are isolated injuries that are no more likely to happen as an ongoing issue. Swift has had groin issues multiple times as well as a concussion that caused him to miss games. To me, those types of injuries are more likely to recur (groin injury since it has happened in multiple years) over and ACL or high ankle sprains. Types of injuries do matter when evaluating the injury proneness of a player.

We have no idea if those injuries (Swift's) will continue to occur and last I checked constant lower leg injuries like ACL/MCL tears and high ankle sprains take their toll on RBs.

Basically we're rewarding Barkley for missing 11more games - games in which he couldn't pull a hamstring or groin since he wasn't playing.

Basically we're rewarding Barkley for missing 11more games - games in which he couldn't pull a hamstring or groin since he wasn't playing.
I’m only rewarding Barkley for having less competition for touches, and being a likely recipient of garbage time dump-off passes that should be prolific in volume this year.

Again, my injury comment was intended as tongue-in-cheek and was poorly executed. My bad.

I also like that Barkley is playing for a contract, with NYG or another suitor next year, and looks super fit and hangry to prove the doubters wrong.

We have no idea if those injuries (Swift's) will continue to occur and last I checked constant lower leg injuries like ACL/MCL tears and high ankle sprains take their toll on RBs.

Whether previous injuries impact future effectiveness wasn't the question being discussed. Injury proneness and whether previous injuries are more likely to lead to future injuries. Soft tissues issues (pulled muscles) that happen in multiple years can be a sign that the particular player has an ongoing issue that may re-appear. Concussions are injuries that tend to be worse the more you get so a riskier injury for future lost time. Comparing those to a high ankle sprain caused by randomly stepping on someone's ankle 30 yds away from the play is a fluke and I don't see that as an indicator that injury will be more likely to happen again. It may diminish his burst in the future but that is a different discussion.

Personally I am rewarding Barkley because I think he is the better talent/player. I treat Swift's injuries as more of a future injury risk due to the type of of injuries vs Barkley's type of injuries. So that moves Swift down a bit. I don't think the previous injuries have diminished Barkley to the point that he is no longer an elite RB talent so I don't dock him for those in that manner.

Just my .02 cents

Whether previous injuries impact future effectiveness wasn't the question being discussed. Injury proneness and whether previous injuries are more likely to lead to future injuries. Soft tissues issues (pulled muscles) that happen in multiple years can be a sign that the particular player has an ongoing issue that may re-appear. Concussions are injuries that tend to be worse the more you get so a riskier injury for future lost time. Comparing those to a high ankle sprain caused by randomly stepping on someone's ankle 30 yds away from the play is a fluke and I don't see that as an indicator that injury will be more likely to happen again. It may diminish his burst in the future but that is a different discussion.

Personally I am rewarding Barkley because I think he is the better talent/player. I treat Swift's injuries as more of a future injury risk due to the type of of injuries vs Barkley's type of injuries. So that moves Swift down a bit. I don't think the previous injuries have diminished Barkley to the point that he is no longer an elite RB talent so I don't dock him for those in that manner.

Just my .02 cents
I guess we'll see.

Beastly today - that's for sure
Dragging defenders for multi yards

He looks like he did at his absolute best.

The only blemish was the fumble OOB on the long run, but man - he looked like the best player on the field.

If I were a betting man I’d say they pay Barkley & drop Daniel Jones, then trade up in the draft or bring in a FA QB.

Taken in the 3rd round in my league. Might be a league winner.

Saquon is an all-timer type of talent. He's Marshawn Lynch with more of everything. Bigger, stronger, and faster.

His career so far has basically been the worst runout possible. Injuries and a horrific team.

With a clean bill of health, he can absolutely finish as RB1.

The Giants still figure to be pretty terrible though, so I think he's going to be keyed on every game.

Saquon Barkley rushed 18 times for 164 yards and one touchdown in the Giants' Week 1 win over the Titans, adding six receptions for 30 additional yards.

This was the kind of performance we hoped to see out of Barkley after positive reports emerged from training camp all offseason. Barkley kept the Giants in this one with one big play after another -- tallying four rushes of 10+ yards on the day. His longest run of 68 yards came on his first play in the third quarter, when he broke loose into the secondary before eventually being forced out of bounds at the Titans' 22-yard line. Barkley would return a few plays later to score a four-yard touchdown -- his lone score of the day. A 33-yard run by Barkley in the fourth-quarter would set up the Giants' final touchdown of the day, and it was Barkley who was called upon to convert the go-ahead two-point try to put the Giants up 21-20. Barkley should be treated as a top-12 back until further notice. He should have another big day next week against the Panthers.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I love Barkley this year and trying to snag him in the 2nd where I can but one fear is that the Giants offense may be sooo bad with no Qb
Not touching him for this reason. He can only score so many points all by himself and if they are 3 and out all day he's not going to get enough reps. Even if you guaranteed me 100% health I am out in the 2nd round. I hope he pops early and I can unload him in dynasty.
Interested who you got for him?
I would think that you could get quite a haul right now.

Health is probably the only thing that's going to keep Barkley out of the top 5. Outside of McCaffrey, Taylor, and maybe Cook or Ekeler, I can't think of any RB that's a bigger part of his team's offensive game plan.

Users who are viewing this thread