What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (3 Viewers)

Health is probably the only thing that's going to keep Barkley out of the top 5. Outside of McCaffrey, Taylor, and maybe Cook or Ekeler, I can't think of any RB that's a bigger part of his team's offensive game plan.
Swift could crack the top 5. Though his TDs getting vultured definitely hurts. Also he's gotta stay healthy too.

Health is probably the only thing that's going to keep Barkley out of the top 5. Outside of McCaffrey, Taylor, and maybe Cook or Ekeler, I can't think of any RB that's a bigger part of his team's offensive game plan.
Swift could crack the top 5. Though his TDs getting vultured definitely hurts. Also he's gotta stay healthy too.
Good point on Swift. I'm not sure he's always going to get vultured given that IIRC the Williams TDs came after long runs by Swift and he may have been just given a breather. Something to watch going forward.

But yeah, health is an issue for both of these guys, as it is for everyone.

I would argue he is #1 in terms of offensive game plan. Only Taylor is close. Even CMC didn't get a normal workload.

I would argue he is #1 in terms of offensive game plan. Only Taylor is close. Even CMC didn't get a normal workload.
I think CMC will be more involved going forward - might have just been an anomaly in week 1. That said, one thing working in Barkley's favor from a touch standpoint is that there is no big time WR that commands targets, unlike Taylor (Pittman) and CMC (Moore, although also not in week 1).

In any event, it will be interesting to see Barkley and CMC face each other this weekend in an otherwise ho-hum matchup.

I love Barkley this year and trying to snag him in the 2nd where I can but one fear is that the Giants offense may be sooo bad with no Qb
Not touching him for this reason. He can only score so many points all by himself and if they are 3 and out all day he's not going to get enough reps. Even if you guaranteed me 100% health I am out in the 2nd round. I hope he pops early and I can unload him in dynasty.
Interested who you got for him?
I would think that you could get quite a haul right now.
Best offer was Gabe Davis and an 2nd for him so he's firmly in my lineup for now.

I love Barkley this year and trying to snag him in the 2nd where I can but one fear is that the Giants offense may be sooo bad with no Qb
Best offer was Gabe Davis and an 2nd for him so he's firmly in my lineup for now.

That seems like really lowballing!

You going to start him? Over who?

I think Barkley's ADP will vary wildly. I think he's worthy of looking at on the 2/3 turn but I doubt he goes that high on most leagues. I would bet he falls to about 40th overall or so, simply because so many people a) want nothing to do with the Giants, and b) have been burned by Barkley recently.
So he's currently at 25 overall redraft. That's 3.01

I expect as his health is highlighted, and as FF writers hype him up more and more this offseason (and FF heads like yourself, of course) his ADP will creep into the mid-second. Same exact thing happened last year - he went late 2nd in my league, and the hype this year is coming in sooner and stronger. FF managers will talk themselves into a lot of things while they're on the clock. Hell, CMC pretty much ruined my year last season and I'm starting to talk myself into him as a 1st round pick. :doh:

Desperation is never pretty.

I admit, there's a price that I would consider Barkley a value. Mid-2nd is not that price, so I really hope you're correct about 40th overall. 4th round is exactly where I would take a chance on him. I believe he'll be long gone by then in my late August draft.

The NY Giants had 23 offensive TDs last year, which is pathetic, and should certainly go up just by default, as its hard to be that bad. Also so many players were hurt last year. I'm not sure Barkley will be a lot more efficient this season, but its possible he is, what I am sure of is that the overall offense and his share of it will be better. I think something like 1,100-11 is on the table, with something like 50 catches.

I've got Barkley RB13 personally, I'd like to have him lower, but I really have a hard time coming up with reasons beyond "he gets injured again" to do so.
My big non-injury concern is the continued regression of Danny Dimes. The more they've let him pass, the more trouble he's gotten into. And 3 & outs are just as bad for skill players. And yet that's what the Giants are saying they want to do - open up the offense and let Danny Dimes let it fly without worrying about turnovers. That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I also wonder if Barkley is game-script proof, as he would need to be for such a lofty investment, and to be "bad team proof" as many implied he was above.

Will the Giants keep running him out there in garbage time if they're down 3 scores in the 4th? Those are the receptions people are counting on in part, so I think it's an interesting question.

Unfortunately some of that is unknowable.

Again - not trashing Barkley at all. I don't love his ADP, and if it continues to rise, I'll love it even less.
So here’s me, in week 2, absolutely thrilled that I landed Barkley at 2.08

Man things change fast in FF. Now he’s my boo. :wub:

That seems like really lowballing!

You going to start him? Over who?
Uhhh, everyone not drafted in the 1st round??

Saquon Barkley rushed 14 times for 81 yards and one touchdown in the Giants' Week 3 loss to the Cowboys Monday night.​

He caught all four of his targets for 45 additional yards in the passing game, pushing Barkley's total yards to 126 for the night. The lone highlight was a Barkley-esque 36-yard touchdown run in the third quarter to give the Giants a 13-6 lead. They quickly relinquished the lead and never found it again. Prior to the touchdown scamper where he broke multiple tackles on his way to the end zone, Barkley had been bottled up for 39 yards on 11 carries. He continues to look like the only capable player in this offense. Barkley gets a dream Week 4 matchup at home against the lowly Bears, who also somehow have a fluky 2-1 record.
Sep 26, 2022, 11:32 PM ET

Man, I am sure enjoying watching him play this year. Tough loss for the Giants, but it sure was not because of Barkley. As a matter of fact, we saw last night how much of a drop off it is to Breida. Breida's "whiff" blocking about got Daniel Jones killed a few times. Safe to say Barkley will continue to get as many snaps as he can handle, and then a few more.

Man, I am sure enjoying watching him play this year. Tough loss for the Giants, but it sure was not because of Barkley. As a matter of fact, we saw last night how much of a drop off it is to Breida. Breida's "whiff" blocking about got Daniel Jones killed a few times. Safe to say Barkley will continue to get as many snaps as he can handle, and then a few more.
He's really doing yeoman's work behind that line. They've got some talent on the OL though, so once they gel, it could get even better. And if they can get some semblance of a passing game - Toney and Golladay are ruining that but perhaps Wan'dale can bring some life - that should open up some more running lanes.

Saquon Barkley rushed 31 times :eek: for 147 yards in the Giants’ Week 4 win over the Bears, adding two receptions for an additional 16 yards.

Barkley ran effectively all game and looked explosive while doing so. He was so effective, it opened up Daniel Jones’ two rushing touchdowns. At one point, Barkley took snaps for the offense when both Jones and Tyrod Taylor left with injuries to run wildcat. Barkley continues to thrive in what is so far a season of resurgence.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Saquon Barkley rushed 31 times :eek: for 147 yards in the Giants’ Week 4 win over the Bears, adding two receptions for an additional 16 yards.

Barkley ran effectively all game and looked explosive while doing so. He was so effective, it opened up Daniel Jones’ two rushing touchdowns. At one point, Barkley took snaps for the offense when both Jones and Tyrod Taylor left with injuries to run wildcat. Barkley continues to thrive in what is so far a season of resurgence.

- NBCSportsEDGE
I don’t think that was the plan, both qbs went Down and he had to be the wildcat qb

- NBCSportsEDGE
I don’t think that was the plan, both qbs went Down and he had to be the wildcat qb
8 carries after Tyrod went out.

Saquon Barkley rushed 13 times for 70 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' Week 5 win over the Packers, adding three catches for 36 yards.

Barkley left in the third quarter with a shoulder issue but returned later in the game. He went for 41 yards on his first touch after returning. He found the end zone a few players later. Gary Brightwell punched in a touchdown while Barkley was sidelined. Had Barkley not left, it could have been a massive day. Barkley gets a tough matchup versus Baltimore's run-defense next week. Given his massive role, the matchup shouldn't be a concern. Barkley remains the RB1 overall.

- NBCSportsEDGE

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports the Giants don't have "too much concern" about Saquon Barkley's shoulder injury.​

Giants head coach Brian Daboll said Barkley, after picking up the shoulder injury last week against Green Bay, would be limited during Wednesday's practice. As long as Barkley can get in a few limited sessions this week, he should be in for a full complement of snaps in Week 6 against the Ravens. Second in the NFL in rushing yards, Barkley is averaging 3.81 yards after contact per attempt, the ninth highest rate in the league. Only Nick Chubb has more carries of over 10 yards than Barkley.
SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter
Oct 12, 2022, 12:47 PM ET

Giants head coach Brian Daboll said he has no concerns about Saquon Barkley's shoulder.​

Barkley played through the shoulder issue in Week 6 against Baltimore. He seemed to struggle with the injury at times as he ran for 83 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' upset win over the Ravens, and it seems Daboll isn't worried about his offensive centerpiece's outlook for Week 7 against Jacksonville. The Jaguars have become a run funnel defense over the past three weeks, allowing the 16th highest EPA per rush. Barkley is once again in line for 20-plus touches.
SOURCE: Patricia Traina on Twitter
Oct 19, 2022, 12:54 PM ET

Saquon Barkley rushed 24 times for 110 yards in the Giants’ Week 7 win over the Jaguars, adding four receptions for an additional 25 yards.

It’s actually quite amazing Barkley was able to finish with this stat line. He started out with only 20 rushing yards on his first 10 carries. The Jags held him check until late in the third quarter when he started breaking quality runs. The Giants never gave up on the run and Barkley eventually wore down his opponents. Barkley continues to be an elite option in real life and in fantasy.
- NBCSportsEDGE

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Giants and Saquon Barkley "will table any talks about a new contract until after this season."​

ESPN's Jordan Raanan added there were some talks between the two parties recently but nothing materialized. Barkley is currently playing on his fifth-year option and will be a free agent at the end of the season. After a few injury-plagued seasons, Barkley is in peak form this year and will obviously want a long-term extension. If the two sides can't reach an agreement, the Giants could choose to place the franchise tag on him.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Nov 13, 2022, 8:41 AM ET

Saquon Barkley rushed 15 times for 22 yards in the Giants’ Week 11 loss to the Lions, adding two receptions for an additional 13 yards.​

This was Barkley’s worst game of the season. The Lions completely committed to stopping him and it worked. Usually Barkley will find a crease and break one loose as the game goes on, but not this time. To make matters worse, Matt Breida stole a touchdown from him in the fourth quarter. He’ll have a tougher matchup in Week 12 against the Cowboys, but he can only go up from here, consider it an anomaly.
Nov 20, 2022, 5:10 PM ET

Saquon owner here - has been a stud this year with unbelievable utilization. Curious how other owners/observers feel ROS?

IMO his only problem is the offense around him scaring absolutely no one. Well Sunday they lost their only decent WR left in Wandale. If the Detoit Lions can figure out how easy it is to stop the Giants if you just load the box and make Vanilla Vick beat you with only his legs - won't every other D just replicate down the stretch. I just feel like his ceiling is lowering pretty rapidly. He is still a great player with a high floor, but could be a savvy sell with trade deadlines coming?

Thoughts?

Saquon owner here - has been a stud this year with unbelievable utilization. Curious how other owners/observers feel ROS?

IMO his only problem is the offense around him scaring absolutely no one. Well Sunday they lost their only decent WR left in Wandale. If the Detoit Lions can figure out how easy it is to stop the Giants if you just load the box and make Vanilla Vick beat you with only his legs - won't every other D just replicate down the stretch. I just feel like his ceiling is lowering pretty rapidly. He is still a great player with a high floor, but could be a savvy sell with trade deadlines coming?

Thoughts?
The trouble is you're r selling low, when he was the #1 or 2 fantasy pick by most experts going into this week. If need something major to move him.

What does TEN have besides Henry that scares defenses?

Saquon was more than getting it done when Wan’dale, Toney and Golladay were all out earlier in the season. If anything, it appears like injuries on the OL have been hurting the offense over the past several weeks.

What I don’t understand is why they don’t use Saquon out of the backfield more, as he is a dynamic pass catcher.

Saquon was more than getting it done when Wan’dale, Toney and Golladay were all out earlier in the season. If anything, it appears like injuries on the OL have been hurting the offense over the past several weeks.

What I don’t understand is why they don’t use Saquon out of the backfield more, as he is a dynamic pass catcher.
Perhaps Robinson getting hurt opens this part of his game back up?

Hopefully. He hasn’t been much of a receiver all year.

I wonder if it's how Daboll likes to use his RB's? I had this thought during the off-season but then figured the data was to old and light to worry about but I remember my first exposure to Daboll was when he got the Dolphins OC job. Only lasted one year but that season saw a few similarities to Barkley and Reggie Bush.

Reggie that year had a bit of a breakout as a runner. First 1,000 yard season and in general ran more N/S then he had in years past but I was miffed all year while he such a fairly small part of the passing game, 43 catches in 15 games.

Daboll went to the Chiefs the next year and Jamaal Charles dipped down to 35 receptions, which he doubled the next season after Daboll left.

This is old stuff from 2011/2012 and I'm sure a lot has changed and may be nothing to do with Daboll or have much of anything to do with his method for deploying RB's. But it was not a big part of the attack with the Bills either. Now he did not have a Bush, Jamaal or Barkley type but long story short I'm not seeing any evidence a RB in his system should expect a lot of passing game usage.

I wonder if it's how Daboll likes to use his RB's? I had this thought during the off-season but then figured the data was to old and light to worry about but I remember my first exposure to Daboll was when he got the Dolphins OC job. Only lasted one year but that season saw a few similarities to Barkley and Reggie Bush.

Reggie that year had a bit of a breakout as a runner. First 1,000 yard season and in general ran more N/S then he had in years past but I was miffed all year while he such a fairly small part of the passing game, 43 catches in 15 games.

Daboll went to the Chiefs the next year and Jamaal Charles dipped down to 35 receptions, which he doubled the next season after Daboll left.

This is old stuff from 2011/2012 and I'm sure a lot has changed and may be nothing to do with Daboll or have much of anything to do with his method for deploying RB's. But it was not a big part of the attack with the Bills either. Now he did not have a Bush, Jamaal or Barkley type but long story short I'm not seeing any evidence a RB in his system should expect a lot of passing game usage.
Barkley has the most targets and receptions on the team.

Fair point, although that probably speaks more to the state of the receiving crew. All that said, his receptions per game this year is in line with his career totals outside of his outlier rookie campaign.

That means nothing.

That means nothing.

I'm just reading along, but how do you figure that? Are you saying that they're checkdowns because all the other people running routes are covered? That Daboll doesn't design as many plays for his RBs and the leading the team in targets and receptions is a function of game play? That would seem the only way for it to be irrelevant to your point.

That means nothing.

I'm just reading along, but how do you figure that? Are you saying that they're checkdowns because all the other people running routes are covered? That Daboll doesn't design as many plays for his RBs and the leading the team in targets and receptions is a function of game play? That would seem the only way for it to be irrelevant to your point.
A few reasons really but the major one being it's not reflective of their overall usage relative to the team when you are using a season long total and not accounting for players such as Robinson and Slayto, who have averaged more targets per game, not being active several weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread