What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sony Michel (1 Viewer)

I think Edmonds is the most valuable MIA RB.   As the primary receiving back, that will certainly give him some decent floor in PPR, and yes, he will be called upon in the run game beyond that.   I definitely don't see anything resembling a workhorse role.   Maybe a slightly larger slice of the pie than what he was getting in Arizona, but I'm not expecting a giant leap.

So as far as Michel goes, I guess what I'm hoping for is a 70-75% chunk of that 2021 James Conner slice.   That probably looks pretty close to 2021 James Conner without the crazy TD count.   It won't happen if Mostert is healthy.  Gaskin making the team and maintaining any role is probably enough to ensure that it doesn't happen.       

I am not buying the Edmunds hype. I think he is a change pf pace and 3rd down back. Perhaps Mostert (who I feel was a product of the system in SF) isn't bouncing back like they hoped so why not grab Michel. 

I'm not saying he's a must have pick. But we all know this game isn't won early in the draft. Grabbing a guy late who could be the GL back on a pretty good offense (with Hill) seems like a no-brainer to me. 

For a stretch, he was a difference maker in 2021.   To be an actual difference maker in 2022, he'll probably need the same thing that happened in the Rams backfield; the two guys at he top of the depth chart going down to injury.   It's certainly within the realm of possibilities for Edmonds and Mostert.

I was hoping he had done enough to find a nice #2 role on a good offense without much in the way of competition behind him.   A landing spot that might offer some nice standalone value right out of the gate.   However, the path to a #1 RB (fantasy difference maker) by week 8 might be just as good in Miami as any other destination.

It’s just going to be challenging, I think, (especially in dynasty) in the first few weeks when you’re trying to scoop up one of those FA’s that nobody saw coming and you have to decide if Sony is drop-worthy or not.

I am not buying the Edmunds hype. I think he is a change pf pace and 3rd down back. Perhaps Mostert (who I feel was a product of the system in SF) isn't bouncing back like they hoped so why not grab Michel. 

I'm not saying he's a must have pick. But we all know this game isn't won early in the draft. Grabbing a guy late who could be the GL back on a pretty good offense (with Hill) seems like a no-brainer to me. 
Whether you buy the hype or not (and I’ve seen absolutely no hype to date, fwiw) the reality is that MIA made him a priority signing & committed $6M guaranteed.

That’s not hype. It’s what happened. 

So clearly MIA views him as at least their 1A.

As mentioned previously, I don’t know that just because McDaniel is from the Shanny tree he’ll use the same tendencies. My gut says Edmonds gets 1st crack as a pseudo feature role, with ~65% of the touches, and the other 35% are split up situationally. Breather back, short yardage, COP, 2 in the backfield, etc.

The challenge in predicting it is that all 3 of Mostert, Edmonds and Sony are good, but none are great.

It’s fine to own part of the committee - but I wouldn’t go convincing myself that I need to run out and buy Sony with some kind of projection, because chances are high that I’ll be wrong. 

For a stretch, he was a difference maker in 2021.   To be an actual difference maker in 2022, he'll probably need the same thing that happened in the Rams backfield; the two guys at he top of the depth chart going down to injury.   It's certainly within the realm of possibilities for Edmonds and Mostert.

I was hoping he had done enough to find a nice #2 role on a good offense without much in the way of competition behind him.   A landing spot that might offer some nice standalone value right out of the gate.   However, the path to a #1 RB (fantasy difference maker) by week 8 might be just as good in Miami as any other destination.
Mostert is 29 and coming off a lot of lower body injuries - Sony may not have to wait for a Mostert injury to be the RB2. I say this as having Mostert in one, and the other two in none - so I’ll be pulling for him of course.

My understanding locally about the signing is he wanted to be close to home. If I am drafting today I avoid the Miami backfield.  As we get into TC and closer to the season it should all shake out.
-Chase would seem likely to get a decent chunk as long as he is healthy. Most of the Miami RBs have had long stints on the IR in season at least one or two of the last 3 seasons, it's going to take 3-4-5 RBs in order for Miami to compete all year. 

-Chase is the starter and was given a $12M contract over 2 yrs. 

-Mostert understands the playbook but he hasn't produced since 2019 with any regularity. And they are only paying him about $2M and i feel he might not even make final cuts and if he does he likely won't be healthy by October. Just keeping it real. 

-ZaQuandre White was brought in as UFDA and has some skills, he will likely be on summer camp reports, some folks will pick him up off waivers in Dyansty at least a week or two in July/Aug but the reality is he might not even make the team but I think he has a clear path to at least the practice squad in '22. 

-Myles Gaskin...enough said. He is at best RB3 right now and fighting for a roster spot carrying close to $3m in cap relief if they release him, he better have the camp of his life this year if he hopes to make it. 

-Doaks? I hear about him but I've never even seen him live in uniform. I'll let others weigh in on his future as a 7th round pick from last year as I recall. 

-Sony Michel has a terrific shot at making the cut and i could see a scenario where he would see some touches. Will it matter in FF? Multiple injuries and other things would have to unfold for Michel to rise to the level of RB1. That said, there isn't a Stud-RB on this roster yet that has nailed down the monster share of touches. 

Still room for an Alpha-type to walk on this team and take over at RB. Bunch of fluff right now IMHO. 

Cheers Gator!

Multiple injuries and other things would have to unfold for Michel to rise to the level of RB1.
i am assuming you mean “the team’s RB1” and not a FF RB1? 

i see no path to Sony being a FF RB1. 

That said, there isn't a Stud-RB on this roster yet that has nailed down the monster share of touches. 

Still room for an Alpha-type to walk on this team and take over at RB. Bunch of fluff right now IMHO. 
agreed. Miami might be drafting a RB of the future in ‘23. They are one of the teams that I could conceivably see taking a first round running back.

I don't think we can equate an RB's salary with how much he is going to be used.

R Jones signed for $1.5 mill. M Gordon signed for $2.5.

I think Jones and Michel will be the between the tackles guy-125 to 175 carries.

I play in dynasty leagues and do not have a piece of Miami's RB's

Whether you buy the hype or not (and I’ve seen absolutely no hype to date, fwiw) the reality is that MIA made him a priority signing & committed $6M guaranteed.

As mentioned previously, I don’t know that just because McDaniel is from the Shanny tree he’ll use the same tendencies. My gut says Edmonds gets 1st crack as a pseudo feature role, with ~65% of the touches, and the other 35% are split up situationally. Breather back, short yardage, COP, 2 in the backfield, etc.

The challenge in predicting it is that all 3 of Mostert, Edmonds and Sony are good, but none are great.

It’s fine to own part of the committee - but I wouldn’t go convincing myself that I need to run out and buy Sony with some kind of projection, because chances are high that I’ll be wrong. 
All I am saying is Chase has yet to show he can be "the guy". And to win in fantasy football, you sometimes have to think outside the box and draft for high upside. Michel has a chance to be the GL back in an offense that should be pretty good. That is worth consideration. 

I don't care at all about the contracts. Niners drafted Sermon in the 3rd round. We all bit on that too. Oops.   

All I am saying is Chase has yet to show he can be "the guy". And to win in fantasy football, you sometimes have to think outside the box and draft for high upside. Michel has a chance to be the GL back in an offense that should be pretty good. That is worth consideration. 

I don't care at all about the contracts. Niners drafted Sermon in the 3rd round. We all bit on that too. Oops.   
I think the upside is the receiving back, as opposed to the RBBC guy who gets the carries. 

Receiving touches are worth sooo much more than carries. 

Drafting for high upside has not meant Sony Michel since his rookie year. 

-Chase is the starter and was given a $12M contract over 2 yrs. 
He was also one of the first FAs signed right of the gate, so clearly the team has meaningful plans for him. With the additions of Mostert and Michel though, it's hard to say how much until things play out in the next few months. I don't see Gaskin or Ahmed as holdovers as any kind of threat, if they even make the team.

Not exactly making a statement in the preseason.
From Barry Jackson back on Jul 26, see below.

Based on finances for this year and past performance, the edge would go to Michel over Gaskin. In theory, the best GL back. But Michel hasn't looked as explosive as the other backs, including rookie Zaquandre White who did well with limited opportunities yesterdsy, including a 4 yard between the tackles run where he got something out of nothing, and a nice TD grab on wheel route where faked out the last defender near the GL.

>>I give the edge to Sony Michel over Myles Gaskin, because Michel is a better between-the-tackles runner, a better runner overall last season and the superior pass blocker.

Last season, Pro Football Focus ranked Michel 61st as a pass blocker among 157 qualifying running backs. He allowed one sack and three hurries in 55 pass blocking chances.

Gaskin was rated 101st of 157, allowing one sack but seven hurries in 76 pass blocking chances.

All but $22,000 of Gaskin’s $2.6 million cap hit is eliminated if he’s cut. And none of his $2.5 million salary is guaranteed, so that, too, would come off the books if he’s cut. He stands very much at risk. Perhaps he could net a late-round draft pick.

The Dolphins eliminate $900,000 of Michel’s $1.7 million cap hit if he’s cut. But $500,000 of Michel’s $1.2 million salary has already been guaranteed.

So the finances favor Michel.

As for the starting job, that should be an interesting battle between Edmonds and Mostert; Michel could push them.<<

My first NFC (or any league) casualty. Ah well - last round pick. Still, kinda hoped he’d stick there. Surprising since Mostert is old and made of glass.

My first NFC (or any league) casualty. Ah well - last round pick. Still, kinda hoped he’d stick there. Surprising since Mostert is old and made of glass.
I thought for sure it was the end of Gaskin and/or Ahmed when Edmonds/Mostert/Michel were signed. Michel looked pretty decent last year - he must have really looked bad this year for them to cut Michel before Gaskin/Ahmed.

I thought for sure it was the end of Gaskin and/or Ahmed when Edmonds/Mostert/Michel were signed. Michel looked pretty decent last year - he must have really looked bad this year for them to cut Michel before Gaskin/Ahmed.
With Akers and Henderson both being banged up all preseason, I wonder if Michel finds his way back to the Rams?

With Akers and Henderson both being banged up all preseason, I wonder if Michel finds his way back to the Rams?
They seem pretty high on rookie Kyren Williams, but wouldn't rule out a reunion.

So much for any value we thought Joshua Kelley or Isaiah Spiller may have. This could be a mess behind Ekeler.
I grabbed Spiller thinking he'd be a good handcuff to Ekeler. Then Spiller gets hurt and Josh Kelley seemingly runs ahead of him. Now they bring in Michel, which tells me they aren't all that thrilled with what they've got to spell Ekeler. Maybe Spiller just isn't that good and is a 4th round JAG just like Kelley???

We have large rosters, so I grabbed Michel too. He did a good job for the Rams last year. The Chargers have been looking for an Ekeler compliment for a while, and Michel could give them that. I'm not crazy about rostering both Michel and Spiller behind Ekeler at the moment, but maybe I can use it to buy time before I need a roster spot.

Curious to get some opinions on the Chargers RB room behind Ekeler this season....

Dude is a curse.
Seems like a good curse though... his teams have happened to win 2 Super Bowls
Not for my FF squad. :rant:

• dynasty - showed promise, then blah for the Pats.
• 2 years later I finally manage to dump him as a toss-in to a larger deal
• goes to the Rams, screws up my Henderson pick (along with Henderson, of course)
• Goes to MIA. I pick him with 2nd to last round picks in 2/3 NFC leagues, as he’s behind oft injured Chase & Mostert. *poof* now he’s behind Ekeler. Maybe also behind Kelley.

It’s like season after season he continues to find ways of haunting me. Dude’s a bad penny.

Dude is a curse.
Seems like a good curse though... his teams have happened to win 2 Super Bowls
Not for my FF squad. :rant:

• dynasty - showed promise, then blah for the Pats.
• 2 years later I finally manage to dump him as a toss-in to a larger deal
• goes to the Rams, screws up my Henderson pick (along with Henderson, of course)
• Goes to MIA. I pick him with 2nd to last round picks in 2/3 NFC leagues, as he’s behind oft injured Chase & Mostert. *poof* now he’s behind Ekeler. Maybe also behind Kelley.

It’s like season after season he continues to find ways of haunting me. Dude’s a bad penny.

Rashaad is a "bad penny".

I could see him become a short yardage and GL back to save wear and tear on Ekler. Does anyone have last year's "and one" or inside the 5 stats for Michel and Ekler.

I could see him become a short yardage and GL back to save wear and tear on Ekler. Does anyone have last year's "and one" or inside the 5 stats for Michel and Ekler.
Per FFI, Ekler was 4/8 and Michel was 12/17 on 'and one' rushing attempts in 2021. In 2020 it was 1/2 and 3/6.

Rushing inside the 5: 18 attempts, 9 TDs, 2 2pt conversions for Ekler. Michel had 7 attempts, 4 TDS.

Michel has been equal to Ekler as a short yardage rusher, but obviously this doesn't take into account short-yardage receptions. I think Michel carves out a role. This will keep Ekler fresher for the playoff run.

Whether you buy the hype or not (and I’ve seen absolutely no hype to date, fwiw) the reality is that MIA made him a priority signing &amp; committed $6M guaranteed.

Theory still holds true now, but I was way wrong on my thoughts of him in Miami. I would avoid that backfield at all costs.

Theory still holds true now, but I was way wrong on my thoughts of him in Miami. I would avoid that backfield at all costs.
Yep - two fragile backs and Gaskin still there to muddy things up.

I wish we had some clarity on Sony’s role in SD. Unfortunately the preseason is done and gone.

I’m betting he’s a drop, but I hesitate to do that until I know he’s not the RB2.

I think Michel is 2 for now, at least until Spiller gets healthy and shows the ability to move into the 2 role. I don't know how long it'll take Michel to learn the playbook, so Kelly might be acting 2 for the 1st week or so.
Depth chart has Sony as RB3, for whatever that's worth.

I think Michel is 2 for now, at least until Spiller gets healthy and shows the ability to move into the 2 role. I don't know how long it'll take Michel to learn the playbook, so Kelly might be acting 2 for the 1st week or so.
Agree, Michel will see action early in the season but mostly spelling Ekeler, don't see him getting more than a handful of touches, 10+ if they are blowing out the opponent and don't want to expose Ekeler.

But once we get into late October and Spiller is healthy and getting more reps in practice, finding his number called a few times a game to start and see what he does, eventually he will overtake Michel is my guess and then we won't see Michel much in December.

Depth chart has Sony as RB3, for whatever that's worth.

IMO it isn't worth much. He just walked in the door, so I think that is why he isn't at #2.

He is a veteran who has played for two Super Bowl champs. He is a solid runner who has a complementary style to Ekeler. He can pass protect effectively. Bottom line, the coaches can trust him in a key situation if needed. Can they say that about Spiller today? about Kelley? While they may trust them, they couldn't reasonably trust them to the same extent as Michel.

The Chargers are clearly "all in" this season, i.e., pushing all their chips in for a championship run. With that mentality, Michel adds value over Spiller.

He is the epitome of a replacement level talent at this point in his career, which is still better than rb2/3 that the chargers currently have. More valuable real life player than in fantasy IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread