What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sony Michel (1 Viewer)

So the score alone would tend to dictate a heavier emphasis on Henderson.

The balance might be different when the Rams are playing with a lead. 
Can you elaborate on this... because of his receiving abilities? Higher level, it makes very little sense for game dynamics to drive use of a guy trying to heal from a rib injury. I.e., not the sort of guy you use for mop up, if that was what you meant.

Can you elaborate on this... because of his receiving abilities? Higher level, it makes very little sense for game dynamics to drive use of a guy trying to heal from a rib injury. I.e., not the sort of guy you use for mop up, if that was what you meant.
Yes, regardless of injury or fumbling or anything like that, I would think Henderson would be strongly favored when the Rams are behind.  Michel could be (but so far hasn't been) the guy when salting a lead.  But of course if ball security is an issue than Michel would not be used to ice a game.

Sony Michel rushed 11 times for 37 yards and a touchdown in the Rams' Week 5 win over the Seahawks, adding an eight-yard reception. 

Nearly all of Michel's work came on a second quarter drive where Darrell Henderson was on the sideline getting his left arm worked on. Likely to Michel's surprise, Henderson managed to return. Probably to Henderson's surprise, Michel resurfaced for a two-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Michel made a nice cutback. Henderson keeps giving the Rams' coaching staff reason to believe he can't stay on the field, but he has looked far superior to Michel when healthy, even if Michel has looked fine. The Giants are on tap for Week 6. 

Oct 8, 2021, 12:23 AM ET

Looked like Henderson banged his elbow / funny bone. 

Henderson was so much more explosive, so I’d expect this 80-20 rotation to continue. 

They were also super pass-happy early on, then went 8/10 run plays that drive. As a Henderson owner I was like, “oh come on, this is some BS Right here!”

:lol:  

Hard to trust Sony unless Henderson misses a game. 

Henderson keeps giving the Rams coaching staff reason to believe he can't stay on the field.
Henderson has played 90%+ of snaps 2 games, 66%+ his other 2. This is more than Aaron Jones, Deandre Swift, Nick Chubb, Miles Sanders, yada yada. Dalvin Cook usually isn't on the field over 80% of the time.

Michel gets 9 of his 11 carries on one drive at the end of the first half where Henderson sat out. If the Rams coaching staff doesn't think Henderson can stay on the field why did they play him mostly the entire second half with 11 more carries? Meanwhile Michel only gets 2.

Rams coach Sean McVay said it's really good to get "rhythm runner" Sony Michel involved, but he stopped short of calling him the lead back and said Darrell Henderson is a big part of the offense.

This is a difficult quote to interpret because Michel played well in Week 13 and McVay conceded that he will remain involved, but the Rams' coach also pivoted back to Darrell Henderson when asked whether Michel would be the lead back moving forward. Once fully healthy, Henderson is likely still the RB1 despite the fact that he was struggling before his injury, but expect both Rams backs to be involved on a weekly basis.

SOURCE: Stu Jackson on Twitter

Dec 7, 2021, 7:37 PM ET

SONY MICHEL RB, LOS ANGELES RAMS

The LA Times' Gary Klein suggested the Rams could use more "heavy" offensive formations going forward. 

In the team's Week 13 demolition of the listless Jaguars, the Rams used OL Joe Noteboom as an extra tight end in so-called heavy formations with three tight ends. The result was 121 yards and a touchdown on 24 rushing attempts for Sony Michel, who started in placed of Darrell Henderson (thigh). The Rams this season have the NFL's seventh highest pass rate (62 percent); against Jacksonville last week they passed on 59 percent of their offensive snaps. Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury said he expects to "see a heavy dose" of LA's new "heavy" look when Arizona takes on the Rams in Week 14. Such an approach would make sense against the run-funnel Cardinals defense, which gave up 90 rushing yards and a touchdown to David Montgomery in Week 13. Henderson, meanwhile, is trending toward suiting up for LA's Monday night game against Arizona, though Michel may have played himself into shared backfield. Michel is a viable flex play if Henderson is active.

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

SOURCE: LATimes.com 

Dec 11, 2021, 9:23 AM ET

menobrown said:
I don’t know Sony’s vax status but I believe close contact rules only apply to the non vaxxed.
And if that was the case wouldn't he already be deactivated as well? He would be unable to clear by Monday, so it *seems* like that would already be reported but IDK. 

menobrown said:
I don’t know Sony’s vax status but I believe close contact rules only apply to the non vaxxed.
Isn’t Mike Williams vaccinated and dealing with close contact of Keenan? 

Williams seems likely to play but has testing requirements to pass first. Depends on date of close contact 

Williams seems likely to play but has testing requirements to pass first. Depends on date of close contact 
No, Mike Williams has been reported as unvaxxed and has to go thru those test reqs because of it. But he has tested negative and was activated today. 

I think the idea is that by being subject to those testing reqs, reporters can infer his vax status without him ever actually disclosing it. If I understand this correct.

FYI - below was days ago, and he is on track to play

Williams was added to the COVID list as a close contact of Keenan Allen, who was put on the list earlier this week. Because Williams is unvaccinated, he is out for five days. However, the five-day period starts at the time of the contact and that was deemed to have happened on Monday. While Williams will likely miss the entire week of practice, he should be able to suit up for the Chargers' Week 14 game against the Giants. Allen also has a shot at playing this week because he is vaccinated.

FYI - below was days ago, and he is on track to play

Williams was added to the COVID list as a close contact of Keenan Allen, who was put on the list earlier this week. Because Williams is unvaccinated, he is out for five days. However, the five-day period starts at the time of the contact and that was deemed to have happened on Monday. While Williams will likely miss the entire week of practice, he should be able to suit up for the Chargers' Week 14 game against the Giants. Allen also has a shot at playing this week because he is vaccinated.
That is the blurb I saw and was trying to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he makes the Rams a better team with his running style. And if they can control the game with his smash mouth running, they should be able to win against a big time div rival.
I think Michel is a better RB than Henderson in general, the issue has always been staying healthy for Michel.

I think he makes the Rams a better team with his running style. And if they can control the game with his smash mouth running, they should be able to win against a big time div rival.
Are you saying the LA Rams can suddenly become a smash mouth team? 

Have you watched their games this season? 

I’m honestly considering starting him over Aaron Jones coming off injury.  I hate my brain sometimes.

I’m honestly considering starting him over Aaron Jones coming off injury.  I hate my brain sometimes.
Might not be a bad idea. Bears have a decent run defense and no telling how Jones will be fresh off of injury. 

• Smile
Reactions: Hoh
Something to chew on - In LAR's blowout win last week, Sony played every single snap until Mekhi Sargent came in for the last 2 offensive snaps for the Rams.  He probably wouldn't even have come out if not for his 25 yard run right before that.

Henderson owner offered the Bears D for him :lol:

Throw the Bears to the wire and make a real offer. 

Sony won a lot of owners critical games last week during a tough RB bye week. Owners hoping for another one 👍

Fresh off of injury? Didn't

Jones

play week 12, albeit in a limited fashion? And now he has had a bye week to heal even more.

He did.  Jones will be at full strength for the Bears game.  No way he's going to NOT play in this one.  I mean, this is Packers-Bears.  Jones will get all of the work he wants and Dillon will pound it out in the last quarter after the Packers go up 52-3.

I don't love the match up @Arizona...they won't be winning 37-7, can folks not admit he feasted on Jax last week? Sony didn't do anything to change who we think he is normally. 

I don't love the match up @Arizona...they won't be winning 37-7, can folks not admit he feasted on Jax last week? Sony didn't do anything to change who we think he is normally. 
I don't think either Sony or Henderson are anything special.  Their career averages are very similar and nothing I get excited about.  I have stayed with Henderson all year because in that offense an average guy can do well.  Right now Sony is the average guy in that offense.  

I dropped Henderson for michel. Our rosters lock this week. Figured I could at least get one or maybe 2 games of michel vs sitting both due to committee. We’ll see how dumb of a move this is.

I dropped Henderson for michel. Our rosters lock this week. Figured I could at least get one or maybe 2 games of michel vs sitting both due to committee. We’ll see how dumb of a move this is.
Not a bad strategy.  You have this week and possibly next.  Once they are both playing I can't imagine taking a risk playing one in the playoffs.  So you probably would never have another shot to start henderson.

Sony Michel rushed 20 times for 79 yards in the Rams' Week 14 win over the Cardinals.

He failed to catch his lone target in the passing game. With Darrell Henderson landing on the COVID list Saturday, Michel got a second straight bell-cow game to himself after ripping the Jaguars for the overall RB4 fantasy week last Sunday. Michel had 51 yards on nine carries at halftime with at least three runs of 10-plus yards, but his final 11 totes produced just 28 yards, and he was held out of the end zone with no pass-game involvement. It shows up as a not-so-great fantasy performance, but Michel overall played pretty well. He was stuffed a few times late in clock-killing mode when the Cardinals knew the Rams were running the ball. If Henderson needs to miss another game, Michel will be in line for 18-plus carries again next week against Seattle as an RB1.

Dec 14, 2021, 12:02 AM ET

SONY MICHEL RB, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Rams head coach Sean McVay said the team's running back usage in Week 15 against the Seahawks will hinge on a "feel for the flow of the game." 

Thanks Sean. He added that the Rams would "utilize" both Sony Michel and Darrell Henderson if both backs are active against Seattle. LA using heavier formations and running a little more than usual in recent weeks could lead to a halfway decent workload for both Michel and Henderson, though Michel profiles as the likely goal line back. When the Rams faced the Seahawks in Week 5, they ran 28 times for 119 yards and two touchdowns. Both Michel and Henderson managed a rushing score. 

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter 

Dec 21, 2021, 12:45 PM ET

wow, lucked out on this call lol. Do we feel confident with Michel going forward?

When healthy, Michel is the better back as McVay has just validated.  Equivalent yards/target in the passing game and superior yards per attempt in the run game.  It's not that DH is bad, its just that Michel is a tad better.

He's just a better runner and more consistent between the tackles. And the type of runner McVay likes. Why he played Gurley (with fork sticking out of his back), Malcolm Brown, and Akers (drafted one year after trading up for Henderson) over Henderson.

I'm a fan of Henderson (as my past posts show) but at this point it's fairly obvious they best usage of Henderson is as a change of pace back. Probably best for him long term and put him in situations to maximize what he does well.

If this continues, Sony may have made himself some money in the off-season. Can see a team like Houston or Miami kicking the tires on him and not wanting to spend a lot of draft capital at the position.

He's just a better runner and more consistent between the tackles. And the type of runner McVay likes. Why he played Gurley (with fork sticking out of his back), Malcolm Brown, and Akers (drafted one year after trading up for Henderson) over Henderson.

I'm a fan of Henderson (as my past posts show) but at this point it's fairly obvious they best usage of Henderson is as a change of pace back. Probably best for him long term and put him in situations to maximize what he does well.
I'm stuck with Henderson in two leagues because I was holding as a playoff team.  Now I wish I had traded him for a future 2nd rd pick, playoffs be-damned.   

I drafted Henderson and picked up Michel as a handcuff.  Henderson’s injury didn’t look good and wouldn’t be surprised if he misses next week.  Michel could be a league winner next week against Baltimore.  

Users who are viewing this thread