What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tony Jones Jr., NO (2 Viewers)

I prefer to look at history rather than outliers 

And what is the history?

Pre-season

vs Jaguars 5 attempts for 24 yds  (4.8 yd average) 1 rec for 4

Ravens 7 for 82 yards (11.7 avg) 1 rec for 4 yds

Had 850 yards his last year in college with roughly a 6 yd avg.

What other history do you have to share please?

Fantasy production is one part talent and one part opportunity. Tony Jones has boatloads of the latter. NO 2nd RB has always done well and is at least flex worthy... and if Kamara goes down? 

TJj Seems like a "fade at your own risk" to me.

And what is the history?

Pre-season

vs Jaguars 5 attempts for 24 yds  (4.8 yd average) 1 rec for 4

Ravens 7 for 82 yards (11.7 avg) 1 rec for 4 yds

Had 850 yards his last year in college with roughly a 6 yd avg.

What other history do you have to share please?
History of Undrafted FAs

Anyone rolling him? I have a 2 wr 2 rb and 2 flex 18 team guillotine and lost trequan and Gus 

I have him on the bench for nico and parr’s but kind of feel like Tony will get some garbage time

Tony Jones had 11 rushes for 50 yards in the Saints' Week 1 win over the Packers. 

Jones only had a couple rushing attempts before both teams benched their starters in the middle of the fourth quarter, with New Orleans up by four scores. Jones took Latavius Murray's job in the Saints offense and proved he would have considerable fantasy value should Alvin Kamara miss any time in 2021. Jones should be picked up in leagues with deep benches.

Last edited by a moderator:
40 Yard Dash

Bench Press

Vertical Jump

Broad Jump

3 Cone Drill

20 Yd Shuttle

Anyone rolling him? I have a 2 wr 2 rb and 2 flex 18 team guillotine and lost trequan and Gus 

I have him on the bench for nico and parr’s but kind of feel like Tony will get some garbage time
I have him on the bench, but I'm glad I do. Nice depth, maybe a mid-season trade chip to the Kamara owner, def a lotto ticket if Kamara gets nicked up. 

40 Yard Dash

Bench Press

Vertical Jump

Broad Jump

3 Cone Drill

20 Yd Shuttle

I watched a lot of Tony at Notre Dame and something that needs to be mentioned is that he lost a LOT of weight.  Looks in far better shape than he has the last few seasons.  I'm interested in finding out his new weight and what he did in the off-season because he looks like a different back.

I watched a lot of Tony at Notre Dame and something that needs to be mentioned is that he lost a LOT of weight.  Looks in far better shape than he has the last few seasons.  I'm interested in finding out his new weight and what he did in the off-season because he looks like a different back.

Underwear metrics can be overrated. Plenty of examples of players who were timed/measured stiffs as athletes, but were tremendous football players.

a. As Michael Irvin brilliantly laid out, it's not about how fast you run the forty in fresh spandex. It's about how fast you run the forty in pads during the 4th qtr of a close game while being contested by a starting NFL defender.

b. As you imply, pre-draft measurables are just one snap shot in time, which could be missing important context. Was the player healthy? Was he in shape? Did he train for those specific drills? How has his body changed since? 

Not suggesting measurables should be thrown out altogether. But they should be only one guidepost of several, with in-game eye test being generally more meaningful. 2021 version of TJJ has the latter in spades IMO.

Any input on what kind of reps he got Sunday?  It was a blow out so it could have been garbage time.  Did he look like he was part of the game plan?

Any input on what kind of reps he got Sunday?  It was a blow out so it could have been garbage time.  Did he look like he was part of the game plan?

He looked good in the reps he got even before the blowout. He even lined up often times with Kamara either out wide or in the backfield. I can't see the Saints taking Kamara off the field much, but Jones is a great insurance policy if Kamara was to miss any time. It helps that the Saints dont have that many trusted weapons at WR/TE currently. 

vs the incredible 6th round pedigree of Murray... 
I suppose after a player has been in the league for a few years draft pedigree doesn't apply. All we have to go on with UDFAs is history and for the most part they aren't very good.  Of course there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

I suppose after a player has been in the league for a few years draft pedigree doesn't apply. All we have to go on with UDFAs is history and for the most part they aren't very good.  Of course there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Priest Holmes and Arian Foster say Hi :)  

I don't disagree that UDFA's have a significant wash out rate, however production is a factor of two variables: Skill and opportunity. The better the situation/opportunity.. the less skill is required to be fantasy viable. 

I think one could argue that Jones finds himself in what could be a very good situation... one that could allow him to be QUITE viable if something were to happen to Kamara.

With SF, ATL, and BAL gobbling up so many FA RBs, it's not like there's a huge pool of +talent backs waiting to be signed if the need arose.

IMO Jones would immediately be a strong RB2 with RB1 upside week to week, though would likely be more script/matchup dependent than Kamara due to a clear gap in talent. In meantime, he could still provide a nice flex/safety-valve play... which is more than many cuffs. 

Think I am going to drop Stephenson for Jones (Kamara owner). Harris and the NE RBBC is a mess and I punted the same RBBC mess in SF.

It was only one week, but TJJ quietly had a great game. #1 rated PFF RB during week 1...

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/hb

Eye test still looking good too, even in regular season action now...

https://youtu.be/4-cI0VyIvFo

What really stands out to me in that vid is that he was regularly integrated into the offense during the first half, with at least two runs coming from a Jones/Kamara twin-back formation. During the second half, he didn't get any touches until late in the 4th - maybe that had something to do with the score getting out of hand and Payton not wanting to show anymore tape of his new toy. No idea, but either way, Tony looked really good in week 1 when called upon.

This guy will be useful even with Kamara as RB1, and looks to be a league breaker if AK41 misses any time.

---

Just for funzies, compare Tony with the dude who is getting endless chatter and hand-wringing on the SP front page right now. It's a stark contrast IMO when watching their preseason highlights:

https://youtu.be/CygruJKa47E - Sermon Preseason

https://youtu.be/Nm6WSDiQ8iQ - Jones Preseason

Underwear measureables lie. Tape don't lie.

I'm going to say this once.

He is a league winner if Kamara goes down.  He is the absolute perfect end of bench lotto ticket.   I own in 4/4 redrafts.

Don't hold your WR5 wastes, this is what wins leagues if things fall right.

TZM

I'm going to say this once.

He is a league winner if Kamara goes down.  He is the absolute perfect end of bench lotto ticket.   I own in 4/4 redrafts.

Don't hold your WR5 wastes, this is what wins leagues if things fall right.

TZM
Even after seeing the offense last week?

Agree.

This offense isn't going to be all that. 

Brees was the glue that kept it all together. Payton magic aint going to be enough.

NO going to experience what NE experienced last year.

It's crazy what one week does in the NFL. Week 1 the Saints looked unstoppable vs GB. Week 2 the Saints suck vs Carolina while missing 3 key defenders and multiple assistant coaches and everyone is ready to write the entire team off. 

Agree.

This offense isn't going to be all that. 

Brees was the glue that kept it all together. Payton magic aint going to be enough.

NO going to experience what NE experienced last year.

It's crazy what one week does in the NFL. Week 1 the Saints looked unstoppable vs GB. Week 2 the Saints suck vs Carolina while missing 3 key defenders and multiple assistant coaches and everyone is ready to write the entire team off. 
Fair point - I think the truth is somewhere in between.

Although the 38 points scored against the Packers was not exactly indicative of an offensive explosion. It was just a highly efficient performance by Winston (14 for 20, 148 yards, 5 TDs) and a workmanlike effort by Kamara (20-83-0 rushing, 3-8-1 receiving)

Fair point - I think the truth is somewhere in between.

Although the 38 points scored against the Packers was not exactly indicative of an offensive explosion. It was just a highly efficient performance by Winston (14 for 20, 148 yards, 5 TDs) and a workmanlike effort by Kamara (20-83-0 rushing, 3-8-1 receiving)

At minimum feel this offense will be a bit (or maybe a lot) clunkier. Drives that used to be extended with Brees will not be. Worse, Winston will give the ball away. Way more "team risk" than in previous years that could bring down any given offensive player. Wind is no longer at their backs.

At minimum feel this offense will be a bit (or maybe a lot) clunkier. Drives that used to be extended with Brees will not be. Worse, Winston will give the ball away. Way more "team risk" than in previous years that could bring down any given offensive player. Wind is no longer at their backs.
For drive sustainability as you say, I think Hill may be in there sooner rather than later. He may not be the most polished passer, but his legs will enable the team to sustain drives.

Since this thread is about Tony Jones, I see a potential switch to Hill as negative for both him and Kamara given the rushing attempts Taysom would absorb. This is all idle speculation though - still a lot to be determined vis-a-vis Winston.

For drive sustainability as you say, I think Hill may be in there sooner rather than later. He may not be the most polished passer, but his legs will enable the team to sustain drives.

Since this thread is about Tony Jones, I see a potential switch to Hill as negative for both him and Kamara given the rushing attempts Taysom would absorb. This is all idle speculation though - still a lot to be determined vis-a-vis Winston.

Hill being in at QB would hurt the value of all skill players imo. Hill already takes way too many goal line carriers for my liking. Jones value would likely take the biggest hit between him and Kamara (barring an injury of course). If they arent running Kamara as much because of Hill running, why would they need to give him as many rests throughout the game, but Kamara can benefit from the threat of both him and Hill running. Tricky situation all around if Hill gets in there. 

Even if healthy, I'm not sure Jones has much value other than a potential handcuff to Kamara. And even that might be tenuous because even though he flashed in preseason, we don't know how good he can be.

Heading into the season, it seemed like Jones would take on the Murray role and have some standalone value. But this offense has clearly changed in the post-Brees era and, as it stands now, does not seem to support two RBs. Unless you want to count Taysom as the gadget guy.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Saints RB Tony Jones (ankle) is expected to be sidelined "3-4 weeks."

It explains why the Saints worked out RBs Lamar Miller, Duke Johnson, Brian Hill, Ito Smith and Ryquell Armstead Tuesday. Alvin Kamara handled a career-high 26 carries without Jones available to close Week 4 and will likely continue sponging touches as the only viable runner on New Orleans' roster. Jones is expected to go on injured reserve at some point ahead of New Orleans' Week 7 bye.

RELATED: 

Alvin Kamara

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 5, 2021, 5:12 PM ET

Timmay said:
Dropping...I can't afford to stash him on IR.

Dropped for Damian Williams. Monty is only listed as Doubtful right now that I couldn't move him to IR just yet. 

Saints activated Tony Jones (ankle) from injured reserve. 

Jones went down with the ankle injury in Week 4 and has been sidelined ever since. He gained steam as the backup to Alvin Kamara during training camp and ultimately unseated Latavius Murray for the gig before final roster cuts. Jones earned 77 yards on 19 in his four outings leading up to the injury, though the bulk of his work came in the Saints’ Week 1 blowout of the Packers. He’ll likely play a backup role in his first game back. Mark Ingram remains a fringe-RB1 in Week 11 with Alvin Kamara out again.

RELATED: 

Mark Ingram

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 20, 2021, 2:26 PM ET

Neither Kamara or Ingram are practicing today. Might not be a bad stash if you can add him for nothing.

Guess it depends on whether you’re looking for a one week play or ROS. Have to figure one or Kamara or Ingram will be back after the mini-bye after tomorrow.

Picked him up to see how he shows tonight. Not starting him though. Going with Alex Collins on Monday night. We'll see. Really needed Ingram. Ugh. 

Users who are viewing this thread