What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Trey Sermon, Colts (2 Viewers)

Buffalo has 3 that are better

That's almost madness. Singletary and Moss are not better. This has gone way too far.
With all due respect, you can't be for real right now. The 9ers gave up on Sermon after one year, after using a 3rd on him. The list of good running backs cut during their rookie deal is very short.

Singletary and Moss have been at least decent when they've played. Most importantly they have not got cut by the Bills.

What is your basis here?

Buffalo has 3 that are better

That's almost madness. Singletary and Moss are not better. This has gone way too far.
With all due respect, you can't be for real right now. The 9ers gave up on Sermon after one year, after using a 3rd on him. The list of good running backs cut during their rookie deal is very short.

Singletary and Moss have been at least decent when they've played. Most importantly they have not got cut by the Bills.

What is your basis here?

Not only did they give up on a 3rd round pick after a year but it is a player that is making little money which is another example of just how much they did not want him...they do not gain anything on the cap from getting rid of him.

Drafted Sermon in 2021 based on him being 3rd Rd and clear path to being the starter there...i didn't even glance at Elijah Mitchell when we made these selections and I already had a couple strong WRs, Sermon would make Keeper #3 which is our max roster going into the redraft.

I'm telling you this because I'm no different than you all and I get hoodwinked from time to time when i don't do enough research.

-That said, i made a big point to spotlight Elijah in my RB tiers this year and I have no animosity towards Sermon who I CUT/RELEASED at the end of last year because we only have about 18-19 roster spots and I was a Playoff team and needed the roster spot for someone else, Sermon looked hopeless in San Fran, and even when he looked alright on the field you got the impression the coaching staff felt he was a disaster and not the guy they thought they were drafting.

It would be easy for me to sour on Sermon and I certainly think he is far worse than I had gauged him but if he lands in the right spot on the right team and maybe it takes him a month to work his way up the depth chart or an unavailability moment in front of him on the depth charts and maybe he gets another crack to show what he's made of.

Interesting story and one you should keep in your notes

SF 2021
Sermon-3rd Rd
Mitchell-6th Rd

SF 2022
Mitchell-RB1
Sermon-No Mas

Drafted Sermon in 2021 based on him being 3rd Rd and clear path to being the starter there...i didn't even glance at Elijah Mitchell when we made these selections and I already had a couple strong WRs, Sermon would make Keeper #3 which is our max roster going into the redraft.

I'm telling you this because I'm no different than you all and I get hoodwinked from time to time when i don't do enough research.

-That said, i made a big point to spotlight Elijah in my RB tiers this year and I have no animosity towards Sermon who I CUT/RELEASED at the end of last year because we only have about 18-19 roster spots and I was a Playoff team and needed the roster spot for someone else, Sermon looked hopeless in San Fran, and even when he looked alright on the field you got the impression the coaching staff felt he was a disaster and not the guy they thought they were drafting.

It would be easy for me to sour on Sermon and I certainly think he is far worse than I had gauged him but if he lands in the right spot on the right team and maybe it takes him a month to work his way up the depth chart or an unavailability moment in front of him on the depth charts and maybe he gets another crack to show what he's made of.

Interesting story and one you should keep in your notes

SF 2021
Sermon-3rd Rd
Mitchell-6th Rd

SF 2022
Mitchell-RB1
Sermon-No Mas
I found it interesting how Sermon was sometimes going late 1st, which was pretty early for his draft capital. I assume this was because it was the 49ers. Yet, I got Mitchell in the 4th, same situation. The difference between a 3rd and 6th round draft capital is not really so pronounced in real life.

Sermon went at 9, 10, and 6 in my leagues. I recall seeing lots of other people post late 1st fairly consistently. I can’t recall a RB falling this far or fast since maybe Sankey who got cut after two years (who i thankfully was still able to unload for something after his rookie year.) Rojo lost a boatload of value after an abysmal year 1 but managed to stay on the roster. TRich got traded after 1 year and was still valued sky high for a while after that.

Same, although I did hear the Mitchell hoofbeats from some speculators (wish I had tracked who) that Mitchell was the guy for SFO, not Sermon, based on style. Let my OSU homerism blind me. Mitchell's draft slots:

12 man - 3.11
16 man - 3.03
16 man - 2.14
16 man 2rb required full IDP - 6.05 but 51st offensive player so equivelant of 4.03 - holy crap in 2 RB required that hurts.

Sermon can play in this league and if he ends up in the right place he can still have an impact. Shanahan is the wonkiest dude ever for how brilliant his results are so I'm not going to hold this against Sermon yet.

Same, although I did hear the Mitchell hoofbeats from some speculators (wish I had tracked who) that Mitchell was the guy for SFO, not Sermon, based on style. Let my OSU homerism blind me. Mitchell's draft slots:

12 man - 3.11
16 man - 3.03
16 man - 2.14
16 man 2rb required full IDP - 6.05 but 51st offensive player so equivelant of 4.03 - holy crap in 2 RB required that hurts.

Sermon can play in this league and if he ends up in the right place he can still have an impact. Shanahan is the wonkiest dude ever for how brilliant his results are so I'm not going to hold this against Sermon yet.
In the 'local leagues" I was able to grab Mitchell in the 4th and 5th rounds, for whatever reason, many folks don't view him as a potential RB1 but part of a unique RBBC involving Deebo. Thankfully some folks think Samuel is their lead back, certainly the bump in pay I understand but they are not paying him per carry.

I'll be happy if Elijah stays relatively healthy all season and is starting off the 1st and 2nd Drive of the football games on Sunday. Good things will happen.

19/104/TD his very 1st game Week 1 last year. 19 touches the next week and got hurt, Inactive Weeks 3 and 4...

Weeks 6-9...18-18-28 carries and the week he had but 8, also contributed with 5 catches and ended the day with almost 80 yds and 13 in PPR leagues.

`19-16-16-13 in 4 of his 1st 7 games as the primary for San Fran. Inactive Week 10 but answers back with 28 in Week 11. and 17 more in Week 12...then we have to suffer another 3 weeks of him being INACTIVE so again i just want him to stay healthy and sharing some touches with Deebo won't hurt that cause.

27-22-21-21-21 carries his last 5 games for the 49ers last year. His Playoff run was not as juicy and if he had done well, I highly doubt he would be going as late as he is after 20 RBs come off the board. Find a Top 10 RB from last year or some fo the ones being pimped as Top 10 in '22 and I bet you won't find the type of touches and dedication from the coaches and staff to hand the ball off like you see with Mitchell and San Fran right now.

It's likely he will miss a couple games when you look at last season. 6 weeks Inactive and chopped up over 3 different trips on Injury Report, makes it tough to gauge when to start him coming off injury.

This could be the best thing for him if it was a work ethic type of issue that got him cut. It might wake him up to the point he puts in the time and effort to improve. I don't think SF really gave him much of a chance and who knows why that was. Change of scenery should help and someone will pick him up unless there is something much more significant out there that isn't known.

The LA Rams
Washington
Chicago...they're singing everyone else who has been cut so why break precedence?
Michel just signed with LA.
Chicago needs WRs nor RBs.
Washington is a decent option.
Michel signed with the Chargers, not the Rams
All the LA teams look the same
An all LA Super Bowl is not impossible

I also think it's interesting that both the Rams and Bucs have had home field at the Super Bowl the last couple seasons. I don't think the Cards are any sure fire thing but they do have talent and stranger things have happened. No really Stranger Things Season 4 dropped over the summer.

Will we get a 3-peat at State Farm in Arizona?

You think there's any chance he beats out Boston Scott?
Ya there's a chance. I would guess we keep 4 RB's on the roster though, and him and Scott are opposite type of guys.
Sermon will get some work but I don't see him as stepping into a starting role even with Sanders out. In that case I think it would be a heavy mixture of the other three and probably not a backfield to target fantasy-wise.

Is he worth picking up among the likes of Herbert, Allgeier, Mark Ingram II type stashes?
I would not put him in this category at all. Those are all the backups to the starter. Sermon will likely be a backup to a backup.

Scott and Gainwell still securely in front of him.
Yep.

Had high hopes for him in SF, but just showed no burst. Something Shanahan loved about him to move up and draft him in the 3rd. Hopefully it works out for him in Philly

Eagles?

lmao he goes to a team with an even murkier backfield situation. :lol:
I am not sure I follow your point. Would he have been better off going to a team with a more established RB depth chart?
I guess the "murkiness" doesn't necessarily mean laughably bad, but laughably unpredictable and possibly frustrating if he should start garnering any significant usage.

You think there's any chance he beats out Boston Scott?
Ya there's a chance. I would guess we keep 4 RB's on the roster though, and him and Scott are opposite type of guys.
Sermon will get some work but I don't see him as stepping into a starting role even with Sanders out. In that case I think it would be a heavy mixture of the other three and probably not a backfield to target fantasy-wise.
He’s probably there to fill the Jordan Howard role. We might see him at the GL sometimes, continuing to keep Miles Sanders out of the end zone.

Users who are viewing this thread