What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ty Chandler, MIN (1 Viewer)

farfromforgotten

Footballguy
With the news that the Vikings are receiving calls in regards to Mattison’s availability is the rookie suddenly the next man up in Minnesota?

Edit: looks like 113 yards on 15 carries in the preseason.

Last edited:
Anecdotal but Paul Charch lives in Minnesota had pretty good praise for Chandler on Sigmund Bloom's pod based on how he looked in the preseason and this was a week or so back.

I have a personal interest in him as I traded away Cook and Mattison from my dynasty squad in the offseason and picked up Chandler on a whim the other day.

Looks to have a great size to speed ratio. I saw he was a 24 year old rookie coming into the draft. I always question how good college players really are when they are still competing at an advanced age.

:whistle:

2023 is looking better and better for Chandler-5th Rd in '22
Alexander Mattison is all that stands in his way right now
Mattison was not given a lot of money, 2 yr/$7M this past off season, $3M a year is Raheem Mostert range and he didn't even have 200 carries last season.
I would not pencil in Mattison as the work horse just yet, gotta see how camp unfolds but I like Chandler or someone who is not on the Minnesota roster right now.

I believe Chandler and Nwangu were splitting reps as the #2 back in OTA's and that's just because McBride had not yet signed and was not practicing. Hard to get a read on who is the backup right now and if it's a clear cut backup or a backup RBBC.

I believe Chandler and Nwangu were splitting reps as the #2 back in OTA's and that's just because McBride had not yet signed and was not practicing. Hard to get a read on who is the backup right now and if it's a clear cut backup or a backup RBBC.
I'd bet on McBride being the #2. Nwagnwu is just a KR, and Chandler is just fast, but no real RB skills. Chandler feels like he could be the change of pace behind Mattison, and then get leapfrogged if Mattison went down, because the change of pace role is what he profiles as.

I'd bet on McBride being the #2. Nwagnwu is just a KR, and Chandler is just fast, but no real RB skills. Chandler feels like he could be the change of pace behind Mattison, and then get leapfrogged if Mattison went down, because the change of pace role is what he profiles as.
I roster Chandler in a 16 team league & agree.

If he can carve out a receiving role that’s his best bet for value going forward.

Otherwise I agree with this. Though if Mattison were to miss time, Ty would undoubtedly be splitting work since McBride couldn’t catch a cold.

My money is on the Vikings bringing in some RB depth via free agency.

A less expensive version of Cook.
They’re $10M under the cap.

I figured they released Cook and signed Mattison because they have other needs besides burning money on a RB, but you could be right.

Who do you see as “a less expensive version of Cook”? Zeke? 🤢

Behind Mattison, I think Chandler gets the most action / opportunity to make a name for himself. However, probably not enough to matter much for fantasy. I view Mattison as the clear feature back for '23, but won't reach bellcow heights. Chandler and McBride will both mix in.

If Mattison goes down, I agree that McBride profiles as the early down / goal line back. However, I think the fantasy points are probably pretty evenly split with both somewhat relevant.

I agree that there's a chance that one of the higher profile FAs could come in. Certainly, if Mattison goes down and anyone of consequence is available. For McBride and Chandler, I think you're hoping that they're comfortable with what they have in the RB room for now. If Mattison goes down, you're hoping that the free agent (and trade) market is complete junk at that point.

My money is on the Vikings bringing in some RB depth via free agency.

A less expensive version of Cook.
They’re $10M under the cap.

I figured they released Cook and signed Mattison because they have other needs besides burning money on a RB, but you could be right.

Who do you see as “a less expensive version of Cook”? Zeke? 🤢
Fournette?
Honestly, Fournette (or Hunt) would probably be a better fit for the current offense than Cook was. They are FAR better in the receiving game.

They are FAR better in the receiving game.
Except Fournette was overweight & never showed even the slightest resemblance to “playoff Lenny”. He averaged 3.5 YPC, and caught a ton of dink & dunk passes from TB12.

And he’s never been one to work cheap, IIRC. I’d be kind of shocked if MIN signed him,

Fournette?
Dude looked super washed in TB.

I wouldn't rule out Fournette, Zeke, or Hunt. As washed as they all may be.

As long as two of those are hanging around, I think they'll try to see what they have in Chandler and McBride (& Mattison for that matter). If they have any questions about Mattison as a 15 carry feature back or Chandler / McBride as #2, they could add as early as this week.

......but I think they'll try to avoid it if possible.

Fournette?

As long as two of those are hanging around, I think they'll try to see what they have in Chandler and McBride (& Mattison for that matter). If they have any questions about Mattison as a 15 carry feature back or Chandler / McBride as #2, they could add as early as this week.

Based on making Mattison their 1st priority & paying him $7M with the expressed intention of reducing their financial commitment to the position, I’m deeply skeptical they burn any & on Hunt, Fournette, or Zeke.

IMO the Vikes have been transparent on their intentions this season. They know they have needs beyond RB, and they’re following the plan.

If something changes I’ll be paying attention along with everyone else, but IMO Mattison is the clear RB1 in MIN.

They even removed Cook & put in Mattison on their social media header. Can’t be much more obvious than that.

Fournette?

Based on making Mattison their 1st priority & paying him $7M with the expressed intention of reducing their financial commitment to the position, I’m deeply skeptical they burn any & on Hunt, Fournette, or Zeke.

IMO the Vikes have been transparent on their intentions this season. They know they have needs beyond RB, and they’re following the plan.

If something changes I’ll be paying attention along with everyone else, but IMO Mattison is the clear RB1 in MIN.

They even removed Cook & put in Mattison on their social media header. Can’t be much more obvious than that.

Nobody is saying that Mattison isn't the #1. However, I do think there's some question of what level of #1 we're going to get. I think he's a clear "feature". I don't think he's a "bellcow". I think he's better than the lead of a committee.

Over/under 15 carries, 18 touches? I think there's an outcome where he's 18-20 carries and everything that the Mattison truthers have hoped. I also think there's an outcome where he's somewhat less and it looks a bit closer to a lead in a committee.

The stat lines have been good when Dalvin has been out, so I think 15 carries and the clear feature is a pretty safe assumption. However, I have listened to enough Vikings insiders on the local stations question the decision-making behind the LOS and pass protection (generally in response to how good is Mattison / can he take over for Cook). Same people have said that they're intrigued with Chandler and viewed McBride as a starter level RB (take that with a grain of salt I know). Between this and the fact that Mattison was never an athletic specimen to begin with, I think we're probably looking at fantasy goodness instead of greatness, but he's definitely the #1.

All three backs have warts, but I think they would rather have Mattison prove that he can't carry the load or that Chandler or McBride can't be the reason for cutting into that. I don't think they're signing an RB right now. However, if there are any hesitations about Mattison and Chandler on third down / passing situations, there's a chance.

I think he's a clear "feature". I don't think he's a "bellcow". I think he's better than the lead of a committee.
Pretty sure that’s as good as it gets for FF in 2023 unless you’re lucky enough to roster Bijan or a small handful of RBs.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that he’s going to be a bellcow RB either.

I have a personal interest in him as I traded away Cook and Mattison from my dynasty squad in the offseason and picked up Chandler on a whim the other day.

Looks to have a great size to speed ratio. I saw he was a 24 year old rookie coming into the draft. I always question how good college players really are when they are still competing at an advanced age.
It's fair to question. The RB position is definitely geared towards the younger the better and studies have shown some decline in RB performance starting as soon as 25 years old, before the bigger cliff at 28 years old.

That said there have been some very good RB who entered the NFL at age 24 who have been successful.

David Johnson is an example that comes to mind off the top of my head and there have been others, but I would have to look that up again to recall who they were.

Still the window of peak performance is small and even shorter for a RB coming in at that age.

I don't think the cliff is at 28 yrs old. I think it's more towards the amt of usage a RB receives. DJ's 2016 season ruined him. The cliff is either career usage (approx 1600 carries imo) or season usage. Fred Jackson is proof the cliff is not at 28 yrs old.

FWIW Nwangu does have athleticism in spades, but I am afraid he lacks other intangibles like vision similar to Mike Boone as the reason he is not being talked about as a contender here.

I don't think the cliff is at 28 yrs old. I think it's more towards the amt of usage a RB receives. DJ's 2016 season ruined him. Fred Jackson is proof the cliff is not at 28 yrs old.
There are always exceptions. Most of these studies are looking at the position as a whole as far as that type of evaluation goes.

Some people think its age, some think its workload. I think its likely a combination of both.

You can't just throw out outlier examples as proof against that there may be something to this.

Obviously every player and situation is unique.

Last edited:
He is someone to stash at the end of your bench if a Mattison / McBride owner, but otherwise I would leave on the waiver wire.
🤷 I dropped N Hines for him
Might regret it but whines has disappointed
Have both after a speculative Chandler add end of season. Both are prime candidates to be one of my five cuts for our August draft. I'm almost counting Hines as the automatic cut at this point. It would take a Cook injury in camp to change that. If the Vikings add any free agent RBs of consequence, I probably throw back Chandler. However, I'm going to look elsewhere for my last cut if this is the backfield.

Vikings OC Wes Phillips said second-year RB Ty Chandler will "have to be" ready to take on an expanded role.

Dalvin Cook's release has set up Chandler to step into the Vikings' RB2 role. The 2022 fifth-rounder played in three games (12 snaps) before landing on IR as a rookie, but flashed in the preseason, rushing for 113 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries (7.5 YPC). Chandler is a pivot to the Vikings' post-Cook backfield that could play his way into a committee. Alexander Mattison, who the Vikings signed to a $6.4 million extension in March to be Cook's replacement, has averaged under 4.0 YPC the last two seasons.
SOURCE: ESPN
Jun 10, 2023 at 10:04 AM ET

Perhaps he is #2 if Mattison isn’t hurt. However, if Mattison went down I wouldn’t be surprised if McBride got the early down work.

Perhaps he is #2 if Mattison isn’t hurt. However, if Mattison went down I wouldn’t be surprised if McBride got the early down work.
I probably would stay away from McBride due to his propensity of fumbling. I rather have Ty Chandler over him due to experience with Vikings' offensive scheme.

I probably would stay away from McBride due to his propensity of fumbling. I rather have Ty Chandler over him due to experience with Vikings' offensive scheme.
You might be right, but it is too early to know right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if Chandler is #2 with a healthy Mattison. If something were to happen to Mattison I’m not so sure the Vikings would want Chandler to be a bell cow type of back. Probably 50/50, or even 60/40 McBride, but that is obviously guesswork. Isn’t Chandler a little on the light side?

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/dont-forget-about-ty-chandler-vikings-backfield-picture

Every pre-season carry in that link. I probably favor Chandler over McBride slightly because the #2 role appears to be there for him. Slightly better draft capital. A lot of positive buzz for a guy that didn't do much in season. I'm still eyeing McBride late 3rd / early 4th. I'm surprised to see that he only weighed in at 209 himself, but he probably has more of the workhorse profile if you're shooting for the top 5% of outcomes where he excels while figuring out the passing game and can protect the football.

A bit of a disappointing showing with Mattison out, seems like he struggled with first team reps and lost a fumble. Would have liked to see a better start with the opportunity

Vikings RB Ty Chandler rushed 11 times for 41 yards in Thursday’s preseason opener against the Seahawks, adding four receptions for 29 additional yards.
Chandler started the game and heavily out-touched rookie DeWayne McBride in the first half. The two are competing to back up Alexander Mattison in the Vikings’ post-Dalvin Cook backfield. Chandler was making tacklers miss in Seattle while also featuring in passing situations. It would certainly appear he has a leg up on McBride, though the word out of Vikings camp has been that neither back is standing out.

McBride offers nothing in the passing game; workhorse runner at UAB but only 5 receptions the past 2 years. Chandler & Nwangwu are both athletic and very fast but have really only been STers in the regular season.

Kwesi can’t seriously think his RB room is complete. They need a complement to Mattison and these guys ain’t it.

IMO

Noticed last night that the Vikings picked up 2022 Waldman darkhorse team member Abram Smith and that they were playing him ahead of McBride on short yardage situations in the 1st half.

Not what you wanted to see on the McBride side. Chandler got stuffed on a 3rd & 1, which probably won't be his role, but he definitely ran better than his statline would indicate. Obviously did some good things in the passing game and one of the broadcasters said that he did well in pass protection (accuracy of such an assessment is always questionable). KOC halftime interview commented on Chandler running the ball well despite poor run blocking up front.

I agree that this is a potential landing spot for one of the big name free agents, but it might have more to do with their confidence in Mattison being a 15-carry per game guy than Chandler being able to take the #2. Unfortunately, such a signing will nuke whatever late round redraft value Chandler might have.

Vikings coach Kevin O’Connell said RB Ty Chandler “jumped out” in Thursday’s preseason loss to Seattle.

“I thought Chandler jumped out,” O’Connell told reporters after the game. “ Any time he had the ball in his hands, very rarely tackled by the first defender.” With Alexander Mattison sitting, Chandler started vs Seattle, totaling 60 yards on 15 touches. Chandler, who missed his rookie year to a hand injury, hadn’t been overly impressive in practices to this point. The strong showing has Chandler as the favorite to open the season as the Vikings’ No. 2 back.

I'm still eyeing McBride late 3rd / early 4th. I'm surprised to see that he only weighed in at 209 himself, but he probably has more of the workhorse profile
Have never been in a dynasty league, so, grain of salt stuff. Citing Brian Baldinger, down the stretch they couldn't consistently establish Cook. Which became glaringly obvious in that home playoff loss to the Giants. That's besides the widely reported philosophical shift to more of an aerial attack. I like McBride, but not so much the situation. Short yardage, GL, up on the scoreboard, let's mash, closing out games... Could be wrong but that's where I think this coaching staff values a 'back like McBride. The thing we can be most confident about is them lining up in 11 personnel as often as any other team. Lighter fronts, hand it to more of a shifty scat-back type. They're high on Chandler, got him a good look & he did pretty well. O'Connell was quick to praise his performance.

If you could land Tank Bigsby instead, I'd do it. If there's an equal valued WR & on the turn you could get Chris Rodriquez, I'd do that. Two-time team captain, love those guys. 6', 230lb brick house, elite contact balance who finishes. A power back you set deep in 12 & if they can keep the runway clean to the hole, by the time the defense gets him stopped it's 4.5+ yds. Played under disciples of Sean McVay/Kyle Shanahan. So, successful NFL concepts a part of his pedigree. Oh, okay sure, too bad he's buried on their um, ... is he? There's where he's listed, that's true. But I think there's a good chance that if something happens to Robinson it'll be this guy who eventually assumes most of his carries.

Good to see - I have a Ty Chandler share in a league where I’m thin at RB.

If Mattison goes down, Ty looks like the backup. He looked good enough to maybe have earned a little stand-alone value. 🤞🏼

It’s early though

I'm still eyeing McBride late 3rd / early 4th. I'm surprised to see that he only weighed in at 209 himself, but he probably has more of the workhorse profile
Have never been in a dynasty league, so, grain of salt stuff. Citing Brian Baldinger, down the stretch they couldn't consistently establish Cook. Which became glaringly obvious in that home playoff loss to the Giants. That's besides the widely reported philosophical shift to more of an aerial attack. I like McBride, but not so much the situation. Short yardage, GL, up on the scoreboard, let's mash, closing out games... Could be wrong but that's where I think this coaching staff values a 'back like McBride. The thing we can be most confident about is them lining up in 11 personnel as often as any other team. Lighter fronts, hand it to more of a shifty scat-back type. They're high on Chandler, got him a good look & he did pretty well. O'Connell was quick to praise his performance.

If you could land Tank Bigsby instead, I'd do it. If there's an equal valued WR & on the turn you could get Chris Rodriquez, I'd do that. Two-time team captain, love those guys. 6', 230lb brick house, elite contact balance who finishes. A power back you set deep in 12 & if they can keep the runway clean to the hole, by the time the defense gets him stopped it's 4.5+ yds. Played under disciples of Sean McVay/Kyle Shanahan. So, successful NFL concepts a part of his pedigree. Oh, okay sure, too bad he's buried on their um, ... is he? There's where he's listed, that's true. But I think there's a good chance that if something happens to Robinson it'll be this guy who eventually assumes most of his carries.

I have rookie picks in the late 3rd & early 4th where McBride was definitely on my radar in June, but that's probably fading fast. I still think there's a case for him somewhere, but that's obviously going to depend on roster space.

I can definitely see taking Rodriguez ahead of McBride at this point, but I'd be lying if I said I'm bullish on using an early 4th on him ....yet. Bigsby was always in a different stratosphere as a prospect, and is now close to knocking on the door of late 1st round capital in 1QB leagues.

As for Chandler, I think you're hoping for health and strong showings from him and Mattison to keep the veteran names away from this backfield. In season, you're hoping Mattison goes down and Chandler gets his chance when there aren't great options to sign off the street. Even if everything goes his way, I doubt that there's any world where Chandler is a bellcow fantasy RB1, but there's probably potential for something close to what we're hoping for from Mattison. Obviously slim odds that the Chandler train gets to these heights.

As for Chandler, I think you're hoping for health and strong showings from him and Mattison to keep the veteran names away from this backfield. In season, you're hoping Mattison goes down and Chandler gets his chance when there aren't great options to sign off the street. Even if everything goes his way, I doubt that there's any world where Chandler is a bellcow fantasy RB1...
Sorry I wasn't able to assist with your draft plan. McBride I view as the RB most like Mattison, the snap share I left out was PP, which favors them. I question whether the same guy most responsible for their ground game getting chucked up into the overtop & now tasked with fixing it, is going to. Apart from Mattison making the difference I think there's a bettor's chance they'll suck at running the ball. The short of it is that if Chandler can stay healthy, I think he'll have stand alone value regardless of Mattison's availability.

As for Chandler, I think you're hoping for health and strong showings from him and Mattison to keep the veteran names away from this backfield. In season, you're hoping Mattison goes down and Chandler gets his chance when there aren't great options to sign off the street. Even if everything goes his way, I doubt that there's any world where Chandler is a bellcow fantasy RB1...
Sorry I wasn't able to assist with your draft plan. McBride I view as the RB most like Mattison, the snap share I left out was PP, which favors them. I question whether the same guy most responsible for their ground game getting chucked up into the overtop & now tasked with fixing it, is going to. Apart from Mattison making the difference I think there's a bettor's chance they'll suck at running the ball. The short of it is that if Chandler can stay healthy, I think he'll have stand alone value regardless of Mattison's availability.

McBride vs Rodriguez is actually a very good question to pose for mid to late round dynasty diehards. But I think you're right about Vikings rushing this year. I definitely like the under for rushing yards and question this regime's commitment to running the ball. On the flipside, it's definitely possible that Mattison and Chandler can make up for that in the passing game (probably more of the dink and dunk, run via the pass variety).

Standalone value for Chandler in a typical redraft lineup league assuming Mattison is healthy? Good question, and a tough question... Probably comes down to bench spots, but there's probably some (enough to belong on the end of the bench on many rosters). If McBride doesn't make any noise from the #3 role, then that's definitely going to help Chandler's standalone value as the #2.

FWIW, Charchian is definitely putting chips on Chandler. Seems to think Mattison is either an injury risk or will flat out get outplayed by Chandler. I'm really skeptical about Mattison staying healthy and Chandler outplaying him to the extent that he becomes the preferred Vikings back for fantasy, but I would love to see it. I think there's a world where it does become a split backfield though, which is why I'm trying to hold on for dear life in dynasty, at least until Mattison proves that he can handle a high volume #1 role.

If Hunt signs, I think it becomes really tough sledding for the fantasy expectations of everyone.

McBride vs Rodriguez is actually a very good question to pose for mid to late round dynasty diehards. But I think you're right about Vikings rushing this year. I definitely like the under for rushing yards and question this regime's commitment to running the ball. On the flipside, it's definitely possible that Mattison and Chandler can make up for that in the passing game (probably more of the dink and dunk, run via the pass variety).

Standalone value for Chandler in a typical redraft lineup league assuming Mattison is healthy? Good question, and a tough question... Probably comes down to bench spots, but there's probably some (enough to belong on the end of the bench on many rosters). If McBride doesn't make any noise from the #3 role, then that's definitely going to help Chandler's standalone value as the #2.

FWIW, Charchian is definitely putting chips on Chandler. Seems to think Mattison is either an injury risk or will flat out get outplayed by Chandler. I'm really skeptical about Mattison staying healthy and Chandler outplaying him to the extent that he becomes the preferred Vikings back for fantasy, but I would love to see it. I think there's a world where it does become a split backfield though, which is why I'm trying to hold on for dear life in dynasty, at least until Mattison proves that he can handle a high volume #1 role.

If Hunt signs, I think it becomes really tough sledding for the fantasy expectations of everyone.
With respect to Hunt, I guess they're not comfortable with their current level of proven availability and/or experience. Above it was mentioned that McBride looked lost vs Seattle. My contention regarding Chandler's stand alone value is based on a lack of confidence that O'Connell will fix what was a strength ... before he arrived. As you deduced, that their short game might instead feature more screens or pitchouts off jet sweep fakes, looks downfield but with the intent of checking it down.

They could run less 11 personnel but I doubt it'd be by much. The Vikings had a negative game script of -2.42, if memory serves which was the 10th worst. That's likely to improve, perhaps Flores does get the defense turned around? O'Connell has said that he does want to run more, maybe he does figure it out. Those variables could certainly lend themselves. I've read that last year this offense led the league in runs that went for a net loss. The other factor is that Chandler's their guy, they drafted him & really high on him.

Users who are viewing this thread