What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tyler Allgeier, ATL (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
BYU sophomore RB Tyler Allgeier will declare for the NFL draft.

No shock here as Allgeier’s (5’11/220) stock couldn’t get much higher. The BYU back is coming off a big performance of 192 rushing yards and three touchdowns against UAB. He finished the season as one of nation’s leading running backs as he was fourth in rushing yards (1,606) and tied for the lead with 23 rushing touchdowns. NFL teams looking to find a three down runner with strength to break through tackles and running through secondaries will be eyeing Allegeier during the scouting process. We should be seeing his names called in late first round or midway through the second.

Dec 28, 2021, 1:13 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
2022 NFL Draft: The Most Overlooked Player at Every Position

Excerpt:

Running Back: RB Tyler Allgeier

Every running back is a little different in how they run. Some glide and cut, others show tremendous vision and patience, and others are just freight trains barreling through opposing defenses. 

BYU's Tyler Allgeier is the latter. The 5'11", 220-pound ball-carrier is the most physical runner in this year's draft class.

However, Allgeier isn't just a downhill, between-the-tackles type. According to NFL Network's Ben Fennell, he tied for third over the last two seasons with 25 carries of 20 or more yards. He also led those in that category by averaging 4.3 yards per attempt after contact. 

Iowa State's Breece Hall and South Dakota State's Pierre Strong Jr. finished first and second in 20-plus-yard runs, respectively. Hall relies on excellent vision and contact balance, while Strong is arguably the fastest straight-line back in the class. Both are very different stylistically when compared to Allgeier. 

A year ago, Allgeier's potential was obvious. The BYU back finished with 1,130 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns. He reached another gear in 2021 with 1,606 yards and a nation-leading 23 rushing touchdowns. He also became a bigger threat in the passing game with a career-high 28 receptions. 

Allgeier should be able to make an immediate impact in the NFL as a short-yardage/red-zone back, and he has the potential to develop into a full-time starter as he continues to improve on third down. 

CBS Sports draft analyst Chris Trapasso compared BYU RB Tyler Allgeier to San Francisco 49ers RB Elijah Mitchell.

A back like Allgeier (5'11/220) is hard to draw a comparison to, but Trapasso found a really good comp in Mitchell. Both thrive in a zone-blocking scheme, can run through contact, and have a true home run threat. Allgeier finished with a PFF grade of 88.4 on the season, good enough for 13th in the nation. Like Mitchell, Allgeier is likely to be a mid-late round steal for whoever selects him.

SOURCE: Chris Trapasso

Feb 15, 2022, 12:38 AM ET

Miami sits with the #29 pick and i think they could easily slide to #33-#37, somewhere in there and take a top RB prospect which they crave but avoid the 1st Round contract. 

-Allgeier is interesting and would fill a big need for the Phins. 

Zone-scheme will be what Miami is likely to start running on offense. 

Zone scheme talked about as the difference in the SF-Dallas game earlier this past season/post season and this seems to be what Allgeier played and thrived in. 

Many teams will want this guy at a certain point in the Draft but he doesn't seem like anyone they have to reach for in the 1st round. 

SF drafted Trey Sermon in the 3rd Round and then took Elijah Mitchell in the 6th round and he ended up being their starter. I see Miami doing a complete makeover or overhaul, at least 1 vet signed and brought in and additional 1-2 prospects coming out of college be that the draft or UDFA after the draft but look for Miami to have a complete shake up there. 

-Liked Duke Johnson towards the end of the year, feel like he never got a fair shake in the NFL, would love to see him make the roster next season and do good things even in a supporting role. 

Why Breece Hall Could be the Next Jonathan Taylor

Excerpt:

Ty Allgeier, Brigham Young

BackCAST Score: +57.8%
Type of Back: Balanced
Similar Historical Prospects: Jay Ajayi, Nick Chubb

Like Rachaad White, Ty Allgeier posts a good BackCAST projection despite being low on most draftniks' boards. Allgeier is a big back at 224 pounds. His 4.60s 40-yard dash is below average, but certainly not bad for a back of his size. Allgeier was also the most productive back on a per-carry basis in this draft class, averaging 6.3 yards per carry.

The odds are clearly stacked against a player with a draft projection as low as Allgeier's (he is currently ranked 232nd overall by Scouts Inc.). That said, he is certainly a player to watch if he manages to stick on an NFL roster and manages to get some playing time.

Falcons selected BYU RB Tyler Allgeier with the No. 151 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Allgeier (5'11/224) joined BYU as a walk-on in 2018. After logging just nine rushing attempts, he converted to linebacker for the 2019 season. He returned to the backfield in 2020 and exploded for 1,131 yards and 13 touchdowns on just 150 rushing attempts. He was even more productive as a senior with 1,606 yards and 23 scores on 276 carries. Allgeier was also involved as a receiver with 373 receiving yards in his final 24 games. He showed unimpressive speed at the Combine with a 4.60 40, but he was hard to bring down once up to full steam. In his two seasons as a starter, Allgeier averaged 49 breakaway yards per game, which bests the career average of Nick Chubb, Travis Etienne, and Joe Mixon. He projects on the Jordan Howard spectrum, a committee back who could surprise by taking over a backfield. In Atlanta, he'll compete with Mike Davis, Damien Williams, and Cordarrelle Patterson for backfield touches. Allgeier could become a decent Zero RB target. 

RELATED: 

Mike Davis

, Cordarrelle Patterson

, Damien Williams

Apr 30, 2022, 2:24 PM ET

Tyler Allgeier RB, BYU

Height: 5-11, Weight: 224

Boulder of a back who actually excels in a wide-zone scheme, so it's a logical fit in Arthur Smith's offense. Average-at-best elusiveness, minimal speed. Some power to his game. (Chris Trapasso)

I got him at 3.07 in a 12 team 1QB league a couple of days ago, and in another league he just went at 1.12. Talk about extremes lol

I got him at 3.07 in a 12 team 1QB league a couple of days ago, and in another league he just went at 1.12. Talk about extremes lol
I’m hoping to grab him and one of Z White or D Bell at my 2.8 and 2.9 picks in FFPC 1QB starting tomorrow. 
all 3 of those players have a VERY wide range of rankings if you look across the many sites. Huge variation. 

I like him but he seems like he's too slow. He'll rumble around, that's for sure. Just not sure (and I could be really wrong) that he's got enough explosiveness for the NFL game. Perhaps he does. I thought he would test better from watching him. The timed measurements disagree with my initial assessment. 

I like him but he seems like he's too slow. He'll rumble around, that's for sure. Just not sure (and I could be really wrong) that he's got enough explosiveness for the NFL game. Perhaps he does. I thought he would test better from watching him. The timed measurements disagree with my initial assessment. 
He's not a speed back at all but he's got good vision and power and gets yards after contact.  Atlanta is a power scheme so it's a good fit especially in a split with Cordarelle.  The scouting report on him is that he can block but doesn't always sustain blocks well, and he can catch well but has a limited route tree and obviously won't be burning anyone deep. 

He seems likely to get a dozen touches a game around 4 ypc and 6 ypr when he settles in... that feels like a fairly high estimate for a rookie...  i wouldn't expect more week 1, but by mid season he could be a 15 touch guy if he's playing well, and he could be their top goal line option so 7 or 8 touchdowns in 17 games seems possible.  In the rare games that Atlanta has a lead,  he should be the grind it out back. Not a guy you're dying to start as a rookie but an rb3 who can put up rb2 numbers is a nice get in the second round of a rookie draft. 

I get a big Jamaal Williams vibe from him, where he's nothing special, but he's good enough at everything to be a solid backup, who can be a useable start whenever he gets the chance.

Dynasty wise, I've got him 25th on my rookie board. 

I get a big Jamaal Williams vibe from him, where he's nothing special, but he's good enough at everything to be a solid backup, who can be a useable start whenever he gets the chance.

Dynasty wise, I've got him 25th on my rookie board. 

This is where I"m at.   That being said, I could see him having a big TD season because he profiles well as a goal line back.

I don’t know. If you’re sitting in the mid-2nd round and need RB help, you could probably do worse than an RB in his situation. Maybe it works. Maybe you dump him next offseason. 

Tried to move off the 2.12 but was unsuccessful so went Algeier and will hope for a chance to show what he has…. If anything.

He's been on my radar awhile since I saw Dane Brugler had him as RB4 in his The Beast draft prep. Caused me to look into him further. Good high character back story, highly productive,  really big frame and some passing down skills.  But for sure when you watch him he won't wow, not exactly a quick twitch kind of guy.

Dane had comped him to James Conner and that's a good comp IMO. I'd also say some Jordan Howard looking running ability, but offers more as a receiver.

Very solid second round RB. I had a little bit of a struggle post draft separating the two White's, Pierce, Spiller and him and could make a case for any of them and Allgeier is usually the least expensive. Part of why the early to mid second round of these my rookie drafts as RB rich as I can recall in that portion of the draft.

I saw "wanted Derrick Henry got Lendale White" and ya know...Lendale was fine. 1000 as a rookie? 900? 

Arthur runs a power game inside and outside, not so unlike Gibbs who he learned under. He still needs better blocking WRs but he absolutely will shift a FB and TE towards the outside to get a big lineup/matchup outside. Henry averaged 7,8 ypc outside not inside where everyone seems to remember him best.

It takes time to get stars and isn't easy. For now it seems he's adding pieces. The more threats the more he can shift and scheme.

Mariota can run. Pitts can beat any LB Cordarelle can beat a lot of matchups. Now the rook can pound it and force players to want to cheat to help.

One star but the rest you have to be aware of. Look for them to add more big bodies or good blockers. Unexciting TE or WR pickups that can be shifted outside. 

If they can run wide with a big lineup, who you putting on Pitts? So Marcus audibles for a pass and they got the matchup they wanted. Or everyone is ready for the overloaded side so he calls a RB counter to the weak side.

If he can't get the stars, he needs more pieces-either big bodies or average can't ignore me types. 

They stole some games last year working the sidelines with big bodies. They bought into it and Patterson had some big moments. 

Alot of TEs are more lineman like and not who you're lining up in the slot to block down field. A lot of WRs are speedy slick types that don't have this beastly blocker gene to their game. He's gotta find his guys and then whew... Arthur will again be the darling play caller of the NFL and Pitts will be the best TE ever. 

It's not gonna work with speedy little WRs being relied upon and....Arthur is more the new Gibbs.

Lendale will be fine for what he needs. 

How’s his blocking? 

Important to research these potential teammate issues. Per wiki:

Looks good...
I'm totally lost here. Maybe I commented out of turn or didn't understand what I thought I was responding to.

I thought Bri was making an argument that defenses will have to account for Pitts but with 2TE sets and big blockers, that Allgeier could potentially do very well. He said something about needing to account for "one star" and I was responding that I think defenses will need to account for London as well, further opening up room for Allgeier potentially.

I have no idea what any of the rest of this is. I don't know much about London as a run blocker but he has size?

I'm totally lost here. Maybe I commented out of turn or didn't understand what I thought I was responding to.

I thought Bri was making an argument that defenses will have to account for Pitts but with 2TE sets and big blockers, that Allgeier could potentially do very well. He said something about needing to account for "one star" and I was responding that I think defenses will need to account for London as well, further opening up room for Allgeier potentially.

I have no idea what any of the rest of this is. I don't know much about London as a run blocker but he has size?
I think it's just a joke relying on the pronunciation of Allgeier's last name (which is said the same as Algiers minus the s).

I wrote too long, rambled a bit, and they're zinging me.

London is definitely another piece. The Athletic article calls him an elite bully. I didn't read the article just it's a fun way to answer blocking Qs. It's right in line with what I was saying above.

barackdhouse said:

I was just making a joke based on Bri's long post talking about how they needed WRs that could block for their runners. Just something that seemed funny to me (my response, not Bri's post).

I understood your point that he ignored London being on the team.

The trade for Edwards (a known good blocker) means Arthur got his guys.

I bet he still adds more (lesser) but I would absolutely predict the Falcons run significantly better this year

Users who are viewing this thread