What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (1 Viewer)

Cordarrelle Patterson rushed nine times for 38 yards and one touchdown in the Falcons' Week 4 win over the Browns.

Patterson came into this one questionable with a knee injury, and his workload was scaled back, as the Falcons gave both Tyler Allgeier and Caleb Huntley 10 carries apiece in a three-way committee approach. C-Patt was also held out of the box score as a receiver, and he has just one catch over the last three weeks. Assuming Patterson is healthy and closer to 100% next week, he'll still be little more than a back-end, TD-dependent RB2 in a tough spot against the Bucs on the road.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Anyone have any more insight into this? Was this due to his vague injury, or more a harbinger of the future?

I honestly haven’t watched much Patterson this year. But am aiming to seek out some trade opportunities to enhance my second half of the season running back stable. Is he worth a buy low?

I honestly haven’t watched much Patterson this year. But am aiming to seek out some trade opportunities to enhance my second half of the season running back stable. Is he worth a buy low?
If by "buy low" you are asking if his ROS will look considerably better than his season to date, I would say no. That said I think he can continue to do what he's done (think more this year than last) and I would lump him in with that ever expanding group of RBs on struggling offences and who don't seem to be involved in the passing game. I have him on IR and I'm watching over the next 3+ weeks to see if Allgeier can clearly provide more than CPat was and/or do enough to keep the goal line work. That would leave Patterson fairly unstartable I think.

I know he's eligible to come back this week. Any Atlanta homers know if he's on schedule? He's available in one league, but I already have my roster clogged with injured guys (Bateman, MThomas, Conner) and really can't afford another one in a bye-pocalypse week

If by "buy low" you are asking if his ROS will look considerably better than his season to date, I would say no. That said I think he can continue to do what he's done (think more this year than last) and I would lump him in with that ever expanding group of RBs on struggling offences and who don't seem to be involved in the passing game. I have him on IR and I'm watching over the next 3+ weeks to see if Allgeier can clearly provide more than CPat was and/or do enough to keep the goal line work. That would leave Patterson fairly unstartable I think.
Algeier is just a guy so far, unspecial. The UDFA played better than him yesterday and another week Avery did. He did pretty good in-between but we're not talking about a first round back that brought inadvertent pressure to the staff to play him.
Patterson is a big back so I'm not sure if he'd give up red zone touches. If so it would save him from taking some hits, but he's tough to stop and...idk.
Really, most of all, is that Arthur Smith has more tricks in his bag now. Each back had a moment that defenses have to watch for and Smith can gameplan to capitalize.
London has been the focus and also an afterthought as has several Falcons already. People want to complain about their FF guy not being forced the ball, but he's winning playing matchups and scheming to the matchups they can win.
It'll only be similar for a play here n there for the backs or maybe one drive. As long as Patterson's presence puts eight in the box, mission accomplished- now he probably has Pitts or London in a favorable one on one.

Algeier (Caleb and Avery too) is not respected like that by the defenses so it's not really a close comparison.

Every team has DB injuries. Who has healthy and talented enough DBs to matchup with Patterson, London, and Pitts lined up as WRs? That's probably the scenario where he's gonna plug Algeier in to run it when the D is worried of the pass. How do they adjust the next play? So then he'll do this....on and on. Base though will certainly be the guy that commands eight in the box

don't know what to do with him this week. It's a juicy matchup.
same. would like to start him, but worry about how much he'll actually play.
everyone was worried about Metcalf last weekend after he was carted off the field the week before , yet he played the whole game and scored .
I listen to the players and watch if they practice all week , if they get the go ahead i wind them up and watch`em go with no regret

everyone was worried about Metcalf last weekend after he was carted off the field the week before , yet he played the whole game and scored .
I listen to the players and watch if they practice all week , if they get the go ahead i wind them up and watch`em go with no regret
Fair enough. Granted, this is a much different injury.

Fair enough. Granted, this is a much different injury.
different but he has had ample time to heal , if he says he`s good to go and the team lets him go im putting him in .
These are world class athletes with the best sports medicine in the world

Cordarrelle Patterson's Week 9 status to be determined on Saturday

by Andersen Pickard | Falcons Correspondent | Fri, Nov 4th 6:15pm EDT

Falcons head coach Arthur Smith told the media that he won't have an update on running back Cordarrelle Patterson's status until Saturday. (D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter)

Fantasy Impact:
Saturday is the deadline for the Falcons to activate Patterson if they plan to make him active Sunday and, understandably, Atlanta is taking the decision down to the wire. If he plays, Patterson should be viewed as a low-end RB2 in fantasy while Tyler Allgeier is an RB3. However, if Patterson is forced to miss another game, Allgeier becomes a low-end RB2 while Caleb Huntley rises to the high-end RB4 range.

Would like to hear who folks are putting him in over … I’m considering Swift.
I'd start any random 10-point flex over Swift. The fact that most paysite ranking services have Swift ranked (as a top 20 RB) over Jamaal Williams right now, given public info directly from the coach is ridiculous and harmful to their customers. The risk with Swift makes him unstartable to me.

I lost Cordarelle and Javonte on the same day and haven't won a game since, so it probably doesn't matter, but yeah I'm starting him.

Having had him the last 2 seasons, he's just not the sort of guy to leave on your bench. You never know what's going to happen, but he always has a chance to win you a week.

As an aside, he's just so fun to watch. It's like the Falcons just give him the ball and say "hey man, would you mind just depositing this thing in that endzone over there?" Sure!

Cordarrelle Patterson rushed 13 times for 44 yards and two touchdowns and caught one pass for nine yards in the Falcons' Week 9 loss to the Chargers.

He also had a long rushing touchdown called back by a penalty but did manage to punch a carry into the end zone later that drive. Patterson was platooned with Caleb Huntley and Tyler Allgeier in his first game back from injured reserve but still led the backfield in carries. As his role grows, he should see a larger cut of the touches. He will look to sustain his RB2 fantasy numbers in Week 10 versus the Falcons.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Cordarrelle Patterson rushed five times for 18 yards in the Falcons' Week 10 loss to the Panthers, adding a two-yard reception.​

It was a hugely disappointing effort on a night where driving-rain conditions favored the run, as Carolina's 47/232/2 can attest. Patterson was out-snapped and out-touched by Tyler Allgeier, but the rookie had no better success, somehow posting three total yards on 11 touches thanks to a disastrous night in the receiving game. C-Patt now has just 18 carries for 62 yards in two games since returning from injured reserve, though he did find the end zone twice in Week 9 against the Chargers. He will remain in the low-end RB2 mix against the Bears' leaky defense in Week 11.
Nov 10, 2022, 11:59 PM ET

Arthur Smith was straight up criminal in his use of RB’s last night, CP in particular. A 4 man RB rotation!!! WTF. That just might be the stupidest thing I’ve seen in football in a long time. And I’m saying that with full awareness that I’m speaking about the same man who refuses to use his last 2 high first round pick receivers in any meaningful way. Unreal.

Last edited:
I thought Smith was a decent coach,until last night. Was he not paying attention to what the other team was doing on offense? On a wet night? Find a hot back and hand it off. No,let's have Marcus run around and make errant throws all night. Interim coah outcoached the full time coach.

I thought Smith was a decent coach,until last night. Was he not paying attention to what the other team was doing on offense? On a wet night? Find a hot back and hand it off. No,let's have Marcus run around and make errant throws all night. Interim coah outcoached the full time coach.
Prior to last night, it would have been hard to find a coach who has been more loyal to running the ball than Smith. It was clear that Carolina had studied the hell out of ATL's run schemes and was prepared to give them fits all night (hence the willy nilly usage of 4 backs trying to find one who could succeed). The ugly truth here is that on any given day an effective offense needs to be able to go run heavy or pass heavy and Mariotta's inability to perform the latter was on full display.

Prior to last night, it would have been hard to find a coach who has been more loyal to running the ball than Smith. It was clear that Carolina had studied the hell out of ATL's run schemes and was prepared to give them fits all night (hence the willy nilly usage of 4 backs trying to find one who could succeed). The ugly truth here is that on any given day an effective offense needs to be able to go run heavy or pass heavy and Mariotta's inability to perform the latter was on full display.
While I understand what you’re trying to say it doesn’t line up with what we saw last night. The decisions made no sense. CP runs for a 9 yard gain on first down and then they pull him out and he doesn’t see the field for 5/7 more plays. That’s ludicrous. No running back is going to gain any kind of rhythm getting one carry at a time. No running game is going to gain any momentum when you change of the running back every other play. Especially when you have subpar talent at that position. CP is the only difference maker at the running back position they have. He’s the only one that gives them any real upside, it makes no sense to not have him carry the bulk of your carries.

While I understand what you’re trying to say it doesn’t line up with what we saw last night. The decisions made no sense. CP runs for a 9 yard gain on first down and then they pull him out and he doesn’t see the field for 5/7 more plays. That’s ludicrous. No running back is going to gain any kind of rhythm getting one carry at a time. No running game is going to gain any momentum when you change of the running back every other play. Especially when you have subpar talent at that position. CP is the only difference maker at the running back position they have. He’s the only one that gives them any real upside, it makes no sense to not have him carry the bulk of your carries.

Perhaps they were easing him back in coming off of injury.

Perhaps they were easing him back in coming off of injury.
Oh, that would make sense except for the fact you wouldn’t then put him on returning kicks. Or running a bunch of routes on the outside where he’s never going to get the ball. It was just an atrocious display of coaching.

Cordarrelle Patterson rushed 10 times for 52 yards in the Falcons' Week 11 win over the Bears, adding two receptions for seven additional yards.​

It was Patterson's third straight underwhelming effort on offense since returning from injured reserve, though he made the play of the game when he made a 103-yard house call on a second quarter kick return. It was Patterson's ninth kick return touchdown, the most in the history of the league. Elsewhere, Patterson also converted a critical fourth down with his legs. Being kept in the 10-14 touch range since his knee healed up, Patterson will be more of a FLEX than RB2 for Week 12 against the Commanders.
Nov 20, 2022, 4:24 PM ET

If he's healthy, I don't understand why he's not getting more carries. Dude is amazing and they're under utilizing him imo

I get it. He's thirty-one and they're managing the amount of hits he takes. I don't necessarily like it, but that's what they're doing since he got injured.

Users who are viewing this thread