What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

Triangle of Sadness

Woah! I was not prepared for this one. I loved about 85% of this movie, and did not enjoy the remaining 15%. That's not a criticism of the quality of this film - only a critique on some choices the film made. This is a bat#### crazy film - almost in the style of David Lynch. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. But anyone interested in film as art should definitely give it a shot.

Dragged Across Concrete

From the director of Bone Tomahawk. This movie is unbelievably violent and misogynist. I'm wondering if anyone else saw this? What was your reaction?
It's so random that this movie from 2018 (that nobody heard of) is now one of the most streamed movies on Netflix. Where did this come from?
Did Netflix only recently acquire it? That would explain it.
Must be it and it’s an action movie with Mel so that was an easy sell a lot of people.

I saw a new 4K restoration of Bertolucci's The Conformist is playing this weekend in Detroit. Hopefully I can find someone else who is interested in going with me. Anyway that got me down a rabbit hole the last few days of films about fascism:

The Conformist
Army of Shadows
Z

Tonight, it's a second watch of The Damned

Rome Open City, The Night Porter and Cabaret are also on my radar for the next week. This must be one of my favorite film topics because I consider basically all of these (except The Night Porter, haven't seen it yet) are basically masterpieces.

Last edited:
With the new John Wick coming out, I decided to check out the original. Unfortunately, as much as I like Keanu, I didn't care for John Wick. It felt like I was just watching a video game. The fight scenes were well done but that's all it really was. I expected more stunts and it to be bigger. I also found if pretty joyless. Is the 2nd one worth watching anyway? I have heard it's the best. What am I missing here with the original?

The second film is better than the third. Just took my son to see 4 and it was pretty fun.

I just ordered up the Bergman 39movie Criterion collection. :popcorn:
Well if you have any insomnia, you've got it covered.
We will never be movie friends, will we? First PTA, and now this. Next you are going to tell me Kubrick is a cold, pretentious bore. ;)
That's actually an interesting question: What couple of directors don't work for you?

Mine are definitely are Antonioni, Cronenberg and John Carpenter (except for Halloween). I just don't get hype and love for these movies and I've seen several from all 3 directors.

I feel like Cronenberg should be lumped into the David Lynch category: there's no denying the art in their work - but the films aren't always fun to watch.

I feel like Cronenberg should be lumped into the David Lynch category: there's no denying the art in their work - but the films aren't always fun to watch.
I have done a recent 180 on Lynch. I saw Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive in high school/early college and hated them both- thought they pretentious trash. I rewatced both in the last few years and both totally worked for me.

With the new John Wick coming out, I decided to check out the original. Unfortunately, as much as I like Keanu, I didn't care for John Wick. It felt like I was just watching a video game. The fight scenes were well done but that's all it really was. I expected more stunts and it to be bigger. I also found if pretty joyless. Is the 2nd one worth watching anyway? I have heard it's the best. What am I missing here with the original?

The second film is better than the third. Just took my son to see 4 and it was pretty fun.
Big Red X

We will never be movie friends, will we? First PTA, and now this. Next you are going to tell me Kubrick is a cold, pretentious bore. ;)
That's actually an interesting question: What couple of directors don't work for you?

Mine are definitely are Antonioni, Cronenberg and John Carpenter (except for Halloween). I just don't get hype and love for these movies and I've seen several from all 3 directors.

I like most of his stuff that I’ve seen, some of it doesn’t work for me though

Liked
Videodrome
The Fly
eXistenZ
A History of Violence
Eastern Promises

Ok
Naked Lunch

Meh
Spider

Would like to watch these at some point
Scanners
Dead Zone
Dead Ringers
Crash
Maybe the new Crimes of the Future
Maybe some of his old old stuff too

Wait, no love for The Thing?

I have done a recent 180 on Lynch. I saw Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive in high school/early college and hated them both- thought they pretentious trash. I rewatced both in the last few years and both totally worked for me.

Yeah, 18 year old me had radically different views on film than 56 year old me. I couldn't stand Apocalypse Now back then, and now it's in my all-time top 10.

I like most of his stuff that I’ve seen, some of it doesn’t work for me though

Liked
Videodrome
The Fly
eXistenZ
A History of Violence
Eastern Promises

Ok
Naked Lunch

Meh
Spider

Would like to watch these at some point
Scanners
Dead Zone
Dead Ringers
Crash
Maybe the new Crimes of the Future
Maybe some of his old old stuff too

Scanners is a great concept, but there are some long, dreary stretches in that one. Crash is amazing - albeit disturbing. Dead Zone is likely Cronenberg's most commercial movie - but it could be my favorite Steven King adaptation save The Shining.

I noticed that American Hustle is now on Netflix. Reminds me of the very disturbing article I read about David O. Russell last week. This guy is garbage as a person - regardless about how you feel about his films.

I noticed that American Hustle is now on Netflix. Reminds me of the very disturbing article I read about David O. Russell last week. This guy is garbage as a person - regardless about how you feel about his films.
Yeah I’ve heard nothing but bad things about him and honestly, on rewatch his movies are overrated.

Yeah, 18 year old me had radically different views on film than 56 year old me. I couldn't stand Apocalypse Now back then, and now it's in my all-time top 10.
As I would expect. That is why it fascinates me when I run into people who don't watch movies multiple times.

I saw a new 4K restoration of Bertolucci's The Conformist is playing this weekend in Detroit. Hopefully I can find someone else who is interested in going with me
not one of my favorite's but hot damn is it one of my favorites to look at. just gorgeous cinematography and art-direction.

eta: completely jealous you're getting to see it in a theater with a nice restoration. I think I saw it at some art house in SF on a crinkly screen with a crinkly print.

Yeah I’ve heard nothing but bad things about him and honestly, on rewatch his movies are overrated.

I watched the video where he verbally abuses Lilly Tomlin. This jerk throws a tantrum, calls Tomlin horrible names, and then locked himself in a room until SHE apologized.

As I would expect. That is why it fascinates me when I run into people who don't watch movies multiple times.

I mean it kind of makes sense, in that if you don't enjoy something, why rewatch the same thing?

I watched the video where he verbally abuses Lilly Tomlin. This jerk throws a tantrum, calls Tomlin horrible names, and then locked himself in a room until SHE apologized.
Yuck.

I saw a new 4K restoration of Bertolucci's The Conformist is playing this weekend in Detroit. Hopefully I can find someone else who is interested in going with me
not one of my favorite's but hot damn is it one of my favorites to look at. just gorgeous cinematography and art-direction.

eta: completely jealous you're getting to see it in a theater with a nice restoration. I think I saw it at some art house in SF on a crinkly screen with a crinkly print.
First watch I liked it but did feel some distance to it. I was a little unsure of what was happening with the flashbacks. It improved a ton on rewatch. I can’t wait to see it on the big screen. It’s considered one of those cinephile bucket list big screen movies.

@jdoggydogg related to the David O’Russell conversation, have you seen his recent movie Amsterdam? It’s ok but critics absolutely destroyed it. It’s not nearly as bad as they said but I think his persona fueled the flames on the reviews. People didn’t want to see him succeed and especially resented the message of the movie. The movie has this message of love and kindness and when you know the filmmaker, that comes up really disingenuous or like some kind of fake apology tour.

Last edited:
@jdoggydogg related to the David O’Russell conversation, have you seen his recent movie Amsterdam? It’s ok but critics absolutely destroyed it. It’s not nearly as bad as they said but I think he persona fueled the flames on the reviews. People didn’t want to see him succeed and especially resented the message of the movie. The movie has this message of love and kindness and when you know the filmmaker, that comes up really disingenuous or like some kind of fake apology tour.

I did! At the time, I didn't know Russell was the director - so I was unbiased. I liked the performances - after all, Bale and Robbie never disappoint. The movie seemed weird tonally and kind of meandering. I don't know if this is apt, but the movie felt very derivative of Wes Anderson or Coen Brothers' period films without the charm.

Watched Margin Call again yesterday. As a corporate / finance guy, I love this movie. It’s a slow burn, but some great acting performances from a stacked cast. Highly recommend.

Mrs. Dogg and I really enjoyed The Big Short. Watching that movie, I realized that I love movies that take a complex topic that I don't know anything about and not just make it informative - but make it entertaining.

Watched Margin Call again yesterday. As a corporate / finance guy, I love this movie. It’s a slow burn, but some great acting performances from a stacked cast. Highly recommend.

Mrs. Dogg and I really enjoyed The Big Short. Watching that movie, I realized that I love movies that take a complex topic that I don't know anything about and not just make it informative - but make it entertaining.
Yeah, Margin Call does a good job of that as the analysts are required to explain the issue to the CEO (Jeremy Irons, who was awesome in this) “as if he were a golden retriever”.

I'm in the minority about The Big Short in that I disliked it so much, I gave up after 20 minutes.
I found the constant bouncing/zooming/cutting around of the camera very annoying and it also seemed like everyone was mumbling their lines.
Maybe it got better later on and I need to give it another try...

Last edited:

I'm in the minority about The Big Short in that I disliked it so much, I gave up after 20 minutes.
I found the constant bouncing/zooming/cutting around of the camera very annoying and it also seemed like everyone was mumbling their lines.
Maybe it got better later on and I need to give it another try...

I don't remember that, but I'll take your word for it. Overall, I liked it a lot - so perhaps it's worth a second chance.

I went on a little literary adaptation binge (pretty disappointing)

• The Great Gatsby (1974): not very good and boring
  • The Great Gatsby (2013): not very good but at least it isn't boring
  • Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997): disappointing compared to the book, but Spacey sure was well cast and the some of the real Savannah characters that inhabit the movie make this a worthwhile watch for anyone who dug the book
  • Great Expectations (1998): hated everything about this from changing the location to the modern South,Pip to Finn, the awful soundtrack, etc. It's just all wrong.
A double feature of Gospel-Soul-Blues in Watts (much better)
  • Wattstax (1973): Reminded me a lot of Summer of Soul. This a documentary about "the Black Woodstock" in Watts where Richard Pryor, Isaac Hayes, Albert King and more perform. Similar to Summer of Soul.
  • Amazing Grace (2018): Long unreleased Sydney Pollack documentary of Aretha's live gospel recording in Watts. Pollack didn't fully seem to know what he was doing but the musical performances are so good that it completely makes up for the poor coverage. It's not really much different than just listening to the album that has been around for 50 years but getting to see live footage of it is a treat.
And last but not least
  • Cobra (1986): If viewed as an action-comedy, this is a real blast to watch. I love how totally insane everything about this movie is.
Lol thing is Cobra was not trying to be an action comedy in the least bit. I also revisited this on HBO Max. Ugh god it was so bad. Stallone mailed this one in badly.

• Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997): disappointing compared to the book, but Spacey sure was well cast and the some of the real Savannah characters that inhabit the movie make this a worthwhile watch for anyone who dug the book
  • Great Expectations (1998): hated everything about this from changing the location to the modern South,Pip to Finn, the awful soundtrack, etc. It's just all wrong.
  • Wattstax (1973): Reminded me a lot of Summer of Soul. This a documentary about "the Black Woodstock" in Watts where Richard Pryor, Isaac Hayes, Albert King and more perform. Similar to Summer of Soul.
  • Amazing Grace (2018): Long unreleased Sydney Pollack documentary of Aretha's live gospel recording in Watts. Pollack didn't fully seem to know what he was doing but the musical performances are so good that it completely makes up for the poor coverage. It's not really much different than just listening to the album that has been around for 50 years but getting to see live footage of it is a treat.
And last but not least
  • Cobra (1986): If viewed as an action-comedy, this is a real blast to watch. I love how totally insane everything about this movie is.
Lol thing is Cobra was not trying to be an action comedy in the least bit. I also revisited this on HBO Max. Ugh god it was so bad. Stallone mailed this one in badly.
I agree, it's an unintentional action comedy. If taken seriously, it is god awful.

Riddick (Netflix): I never had any interest in these movies, and don't like Vin Diesel at all - every scene in every movie can't be about what a badass you are. I watched Pitch Black knowing he was in it, but the description sounded decent. It was better than I expected, not great but not terrible. I realized way too deep into the movie that this must be part of the Riddick movies, so I watched the second, Chronicles of Riddick. I was pleasantly surprised - it was visually interesting, good bad guys, not too explainy... so I watched the third, Riddick. It blew. Just a big Vin Diesel festival of trying to be a badass. Some awful treatment of Katee Sackhoff's character - rape threats all around, an implication that despite being a lesbian, she had to sleep with Vin Diesel because he's such a badass... yucky movie. I did like the design of the scorpion gator monster, that was about it.

Riddick (Netflix): I never had any interest in these movies, and don't like Vin Diesel at all - every scene in every movie can't be about what a badass you are. I watched Pitch Black knowing he was in it, but the description sounded decent. It was better than I expected, not great but not terrible. I realized way too deep into the movie that this must be part of the Riddick movies, so I watched the second, Chronicles of Riddick. I was pleasantly surprised - it was visually interesting, good bad guys, not too explainy... so I watched the third, Riddick. It blew. Just a big Vin Diesel festival of trying to be a badass. Some awful treatment of Katee Sackhoff's character - rape threats all around, an implication that despite being a lesbian, she had to sleep with Vin Diesel because he's such a badass... yucky movie. I did like the design of the scorpion gator monster, that was about it.

I enjoyed this and Pitch Black more than the consensus, but I am a huge Sci Fi nerd so not surprised I'm higher than the consensus.

I enjoyed this and Pitch Black more than the consensus, but I am a huge Sci Fi nerd so not surprised I'm higher than the consensus.
I didn't even know there was a third movie. Despite the panning by Tick, I'm still interested. I enjoyed the first two... Flawed, but fun.

I didn't even know there was a third movie. Despite the panning by Tick, I'm still interested. I enjoyed the first two... Flawed, but fun.
#4 is filming.

Riddick is Vin Diesel's life long passion project from what I've read. Lightning struck with Pitch Black - that movie is a lot of fun and perfect genre piece. The others miss the mark for me.

My brother in law had never seen any John Wick movies, so I made him watch The Raid: Redemption first. It's probably the 4th time I've seen it. Man, what a movie. Of course it's the template for John Wick's style of action, and the action is among the best I've ever seen, but it's also a well made movie. The bad guy is such a sleazeball, just perfect acting.

We went down a Making Of rabbit hole after on YouTube because he just couldn't understand how many of the scenes could have been made without major injuries. I recommend doing that - it was really interesting.

My brother in law had never seen any John Wick movies, so I made him watch The Raid: Redemption first. It's probably the 4th time I've seen it. Man, what a movie. Of course it's the template for John Wick's style of action, and the action is among the best I've ever seen, but it's also a well made movie. The bad guy is such a sleazeball, just perfect acting.

We went down a Making Of rabbit hole after on YouTube because he just couldn't understand how many of the scenes could have been made without major injuries. I recommend doing that - it was really interesting.
Have you seen the sequel??

Have you seen the sequel??
Yeah, I put a review in the wrong place, but it’s great.

Ended up seeing it tonight on the big screen. Blown away. It has absolutely shot up even higher in my mind. One of the best movies ever made. I am so jealous of people in NYC and LA who have the opportunity to see movies like this on the big screen more regularly.

Thanks for this recommendation. I decided to treat myself to a little relaxation and a movie today and made this my pick when I saw your post and then looked at the cast (you had me at Stanley Tucci and Paul Bettany). Excellent movie all the way around.

I know I posted this in the streaming thread, but here might be better for the movie buffs. WHOAMI on netflix was pretty fun and really good. Follows some German underground hackers through some heists.

Woman King (Netflix) was good. It looked great, they did a good job of avoiding some overdramatic scenes, the battle scenes were mean and interesting. I don’t knkw anything about the historical accuracy, but I liked the movie.

And last but not least
Acting is so stiff and wooden. Unintentional laughs. Wonder if Stallone was coked out when he made it. Razzie nominated for worst picture, worst actor, worst actress, worst supporting actor and worst screenplay.

Last edited:
Acting is so stiff and wooden. Unintentional laughs. Wonder if Stallone was coked out when he made it. Razzie nominated for worst picture, worst actor, worst actress, worst supporting actor and worst screenplay.
I would bet my house he was coked out. I read he was so full of himself when making it that he had a rule on set that nobody but the director was allowed to talk to him. Filming was constantly delayed because he was having sex with Nielsen in his trailer.

I would bet my house he was coked out. I read he was so full of himself when making it that he had a rule on set that nobody but the director was allowed to talk to him. Filming was constantly delayed because he was having sex with Nielsen in his trailer.
I can fully believe that!!!

Mario movie was fun. Kid was in absolute heaven. He’s a huge Mario and bowser fan and I think his year was made.

My 7 year old went to see it with his spring break camp on Friday. He came back home and told me he gave it “100 out of 10”.
my 15yo son saw it with a friend last night and liked it (wasn't even a mario/video game kid).

I swear when he came home his eyes looked a little bloodshot and half-closed... but I asked him today if he'd ever tried smoking or edibles (we talk freely about this stuff and have for a few years) and he said no. so he enjoyed it even without any additives.

Users who are viewing this thread