What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Criterion Channel has a great collection that popped up in the last couple months - Noir in Color. I've been working through that this week and really enjoying these. I don't think I had heard of any of the 14 besides 1, maybe 2. First up was: Leave Her To Heaven, Niagra, and Desert Fury. Next is Inferno.
Niagara is pretty sexy. Leave Her to Heaven is excellent. The color is strong and Gene Tierney gives one of the best performances that don’t often get mentioned among the best. She’s absolutely terrifying.

Criterion Channel has a great collection that popped up in the last couple months - Noir in Color. I've been working through that this week and really enjoying these. I don't think I had heard of any of the 14 besides 1, maybe 2. First up was: Leave Her To Heaven, Niagra, and Desert Fury. Next is Inferno.
Niagara is pretty sexy. Leave Her to Heaven is excellent. The color is strong and Gene Tierney gives one of the best performances that don’t often get mentioned among the best. She’s absolutely terrifying.
After looking at it, I would rate them so far how I listed them - Leave Her To Heaven by far the best.

Not sure if you will see the list, but HERE is the collection of movies. You have probably seen most?

Tierney has some great, subtle, shifts in emotion. Like you said - scary stuff, and I had to do a couple double takes on some dialogue and themes.

How about a couple with her and Perkins' Bates?

Tierney has some great, subtle, shifts in emotion. Like you said - scary stuff, and I had to do a couple double takes on some dialogue and themes.

And she's so stunningly beautiful that despite truly evil behavior, you can see why a man would try to overlook even some of her worst faults. Her and Bates would make quite a couple.

Of the ones listed, there are few I haven't seen. I really like Bad Day at Black Rock, House of Bamboo and Party Girl. Though I do think Leave Her to Heaven is the best of the collection.

And she's so stunningly beautiful that despite truly evil behavior, you can see why a man would try to overlook even some of her worst faults. Her and Bates would make quite a couple.

Of the ones listed, there are few I haven't seen. I really like Bad Day at Black Rock, House of Bamboo and Party Girl. Though I do think Leave Her to Heaven is the best of the collection.
What are the ones you haven't seen? I will watch a couple of those so there's something I've seen that you haven't for once. ;)

Last night I watched the 40s OG The Postman Always Rings Twice and Inferno. If I go with that collection tonight, another Tierney movie is on deck - Black Widow.

What are the ones you haven't seen? I will watch a couple of those so there's something I've seen that you haven't for once. ;)

Last night I watched the 40s OG The Postman Always Rings Twice and Inferno. If I go with that collection tonight, another Tierney movie is on deck - Black Widow.
What did you think of Postman?

As for ones I haven’t seen, the movies I didn’t previously mention aren’t ringing a bell. Not sure if I didn’t see them or they just left no impression.

What did you think of Postman?

As for ones I haven’t seen, the movies I didn’t previously mention aren’t ringing a bell. Not sure if I didn’t see them or they just left no impression.
I really liked Postman. I am sure as I dig farther I will find more and more that don't click, but for the most part I have liked all the noir movies that I have watched. I am going to be mixing in some of the movies in the Japanese Noir collection on the channel in with these as well as I continue.

Speaking of the Criterion Channel - I am excited for next Saturday when the 80s Horror collection starts up. I feel like they were reading my mind, as there are a handful of movies I couldn't find while I was rewatching some 80s movies like Near Dark, The Keep, and The Funhouse. HERE is link to an article with a list of the movies in the collection. They made my 31 horror movies in 31 days quest a whole lot easier since there are a bunch I haven't seen in that collection.

Speaking of the Criterion Channel - I am excited for next Saturday when the 80s Horror collection starts up. I feel like they were reading my mind, as there are a handful of movies I couldn't find while I was rewatching some 80s movies like Near Dark, The Keep, and The Funhouse. HERE is link to an article with a list of the movies in the collection. They made my 31 horror movies in 31 days quest a whole lot easier since there are a bunch I haven't seen in that collection.
I think that the The Keep was out of print due to some legal technicalities. Too bad as I always wanted to see it again.

Cat People has one of my all time favorite soundtracks (by Giorgio Moroder) so it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

I really liked Postman. I am sure as I dig farther I will find more and more that don't click, but for the most part I have liked all the noir movies that I have watched. I am going to be mixing in some of the movies in the Japanese Noir collection on the channel in with these as well as I continue.
Cool to hear you are digging them. Noir films are definitely my jam. I like the Postman too. Lana Turner is gorgeous and John Garfield is a tremendous actor. It gets a little heat for being too slick. MGM didn't do a lot of noir and Postman is a high end production. The book is really good too, a short quick read but an absolute page turner. I don't know what is on the Japanese Noir collection but Pale Flower is my top suggestion.

Cool to hear you are digging them. Noir films are definitely my jam. I like the Postman too. Lana Turner is gorgeous and John Garfield is a tremendous actor. It gets a little heat for being too slick. MGM didn't do a lot of noir and Postman is a high end production. The book is really good too, a short quick read but an absolute page turner. I don't know what is on the Japanese Noir collection but Pale Flower is my top suggestion.
HERE

@Ilov80s - Pale Flower is on there.

@Ilov80s - Pale Flower is on there.
A few Kurosawas so can’t go wrong with that. High and Low is one of the better crime films ever made. My dads favorite Kurosawa by a wide margin. I’ve seen Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter but I don’t remember loving either. I think A Colt is My Passport and Youth of the Beast were the ones I liked. That said I think Pale Flower is by far the best of the non AK films.

Last edited:
I started off early, because I never seem to get to the 31 fast enough and I saw it was on HBO, with The Hunger. Wow, that was quite the movie. It's a bit of a mess, and neither my wife or I really understood what was going on or the mechanics and rules of the vampirism. That said, there was some really scary and horrific ideas in this one that I am still digesting today. Bad night to be slightly too high, because that opening 10-15 minutes was really bothering me and left me unsettled. I think if it wasn't for those core interesting ideas and genuinely showing me things I hadn't seen in a vampire or horror bumps up the rating a point or two. Currently sitting at around a 5.5/10 for me as I work through my feelings on the movie.

Oh, and an amount of doves that probably makes John Woo jealous. :lol:

Lots of good ones on there, but they missed a really good one...The Howling (1981) with Dee Wallace. It's right up there with An American Werewolf in London, which I think was released around the same time. It was leaps and bounds past anything effects wise that the horror world had seen previously, again, save for AAWIL.

Lots of good ones on there, but they missed a really good one...The Howling (1981) with Dee Wallace. It's right up there with An American Werewolf in London, which I think was released around the same time. It was leaps and bounds past anything effects wise that the horror world had seen previously, again, save for AAWIL.
I was thinking about watching this one in the next couple nights. It's on AMC right now, and I wanted to check it out in case it leaves in a few days. I am pretty sure I've seen it, but not since the 90s.
I'd guess like the other streaming sites, there are limited selections Criterion has access to outside their brand. I was just impressed because of the handful I had wanted to watch anyway are in the collection along with the ones I couldn't find streaming before when I looked.

Pondering if I should watch Poltergeist in the theater at 7:00...I've become quite the homebody.

Edit: Nope. Now I'm considering buying this Criterion copy of The Killers that has both versions.

Last edited:
The Poseidon Adventure - Watched this over the weekend. Obviously I love Gene Hackman - who doesn’t? But I thought this was only ok. Part of the issue is it’s a disaster movie and special effects have just improved so much and are important in disaster movies. So it was fine. But nothing great.

The Poseidon Adventure - Watched this over the weekend. Obviously I love Gene Hackman - who doesn’t? But I thought this was only ok. Part of the issue is it’s a disaster movie and special effects have just improved so much and are important in disaster movies. So it was fine. But nothing great.
I think that the good cast set it apart from the other disaster movies at the time. I remember seeing it in the theater and we were all on the edge of our seats.
I haven't watched it lately so it may not have aged well.

I think that the good cast set it apart from the other disaster movies at the time. I remember seeing it in the theater and we were all on the edge of our seats.

The 2006 remake had better special effects but a weaker cast. The CGI is dated but it comes off better than the model in the tank from the original.

The original came out early in the cycle of 70s disaster movies so the formula hadn't been worked to death yet. It is kind of hard to watch Leslie Nielsen as the captain with a straight face.

Finally watched this tonight thanks to you guys. Enjoyable early 80's werewolf horror romp with some neat effects and a bit of creep. Comparable in feel to The Hunger mentioned above and re-animator but less cheesy.
Going with the werewolf theme I found Dog Soldiers is finally streaming again and it is definitely worth a watch. A touch of British cheek to go with a bit of claustrophobia and a dash of werewolf WTF! I loved it.

The 2006 remake had better special effects but a weaker cast. The CGI is dated but it comes off better than the model in the tank from the original.

The original came out early in the cycle of 70s disaster movies so the formula hadn't been worked to death yet. It is kind of hard to watch Leslie Nielsen as the captain with a straight face.
Surely that can't be a tidal wave heading our way?!

It is kind of hard to watch Leslie Nielsen as the captain with a straight face
It is quite strange to watch him on MeTV, where he is ubiquitous. He must have guest-starred on every Western in the 60's, and every cop show in the 70's.

He delivers his lines with the same inflection and cadence as he does as Frank Drebin. It was disorienting at first when he would say, "Little Joe, let's get back to the Ponderosa", or "Frank Cannon, let's go round up the bad guys" because I couldn't figure out what was supposed to be funny, then I realized it wasn't meant to be funny.

I just watched it the other day. What an awesome cast. The plot is so simple and the actors have to carry most of it themselves with dialogue imo. Agree with you about special effects, but I try to keep films in their temporal context. For the time, this movie was pretty riveting and it certainly wasn’t boring imo.

@Ilov80s - you listen to the 4hr+ Boogie Nights pod? :lol:
Not yet lol. I would actually like to rewatch the movie first. It's been a long while.
I watch it an unhealthy amount. If it wasn't for my wife loathing the movie, I would watch it even more though.

I listened to most of the pod this morning - good stuff as always. Like the podcast, but the categories are the worst part. They are better when they are just riffing at the beginning.

School Daze

As a white dude from smallish town Minnesota this was a real stranger in a strange land watch for me. But I've become friends with a self-professed proud black man who's only a couple years younger than me - so when he asked me to watch this one, how could I say no?

I can't say I "got" very much of it, and I can't say I enjoyed it. But what I do understand, just a little bit more, is how complex it must be being black in America.

The dance routines were cool though. And Jasmine Guy sure was pretty.

Edit: Also, black or otherwise, Greek life is about the strangest thing in the world to me.

I needed something dumb after six hours of US and the Holocaust so I took the plunge with the Munsters.

The vividly colored production has an interesting look to it but the shapeless story and endless dumb jokes and puns fall flat. Zombie is a better director than he is a writer. There was more plot in a 22 minute episode of the old TV show than there is in 109 minutes of this movie. It's suitable for the family but I think kids who aren't familiar with the characters will probably find it really boring and they'll have a point.

Licorice Pizza
Like most PT Anderson movies, this one is weird. I really liked it. The lead actress was excellent. I really rooted for her. Thumbs up.

Collateral
Hadn't seen this Michael Mann/Tom Cruise/Jamie Foxx movie in a long time, so I gave it a re-watch. Pretty much excellent across the board. Cruise should play more villains. Foxx? What can I say? He has wonderful screen presence - love watching Foxx in movies.

Dave
Re-watching the Lil' Dicky FX show on Hulu with my 19 year old son. One of the more underrated comedies of the last few years.

Welcome to Wrexham
I haven't finished this series yet, but I love it. If you aren't watching this show on Hulu, I urge you to do it. Fantastic.

Licorice Pizza
Like most PT Anderson movies, this one is weird. I really liked it. The lead actress was excellent. I really rooted for her. Thumbs up.

Collateral
Hadn't seen this Michael Mann/Tom Cruise/Jamie Foxx movie in a long time, so I gave it a re-watch. Pretty much excellent across the board. Cruise should play more villains. Foxx? What can I say? He has wonderful screen presence - love watching Foxx in movies.

Dave
Re-watching the Lil' Dicky FX show on Hulu with my 19 year old son. One of the more underrated comedies of the last few years.

Welcome to Wrexham
I haven't finished this series yet, but I love it. If you aren't watching this show on Hulu, I urge you to do it. Fantastic.
Recently watched Collateral for the first time. What a freaking movie, loved everything about it.

Licorice Pizza

Collateral

Dave

Welcome to Wrexham
Recently watched Collateral for the first time. What a freaking movie, loved everything about it.

Absolutely!

My Best Friend's Exorcism

I was excited to see this pop up on Prime. I read the book and had a blast with it. The movie was average at best for me, unfortunately. Did the thing at the start that grinds my gears - it's set in the 80s, but the dialogue and terms are from today. The rest of the movie didn't help either. Not sure I'd recommend this one to people - there's plenty of other good ones to watch for the season.

Tonight is guaranteed to be better. My bluray of Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is getting here today. This one keeps popping up in my head as one I love but haven't seen in a bit. This is one that I recommend to anybody who hasn't seen it and likes stuff like Cabin in the Woods, Tucker and Dale, and Scream.

Movies I watched in September

The Executioner (1970 - S. Wanamaker)
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006 - A. McKay)
Top Gun: Maverick (2022 - J. Kosinski)
Heartburn (1986 - M. Nichols)
The Thieves (2012 - D-h Choi)
Slow Horses (2022 - Series)
The Pirates (2014 - S-h Lee)
Dead Reckoning (1947 - J. Cromwell)
Jade (1995 - W. Friedkin)
Cha Cha Real Smooth (2022 - C. Raiff)
The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone (1990/2020 - F. Coppola)
Arahan (2004 - S-w Ryu)
To Live and Die in L.A. (1985 - W. Friedkin)
Notorious (1946 - A. Hitchcock)
Georgy Girl (1966 - S. Narizzano)
Sweet and Lowdown (1999 - W. Allen)
Valkyrie (2008 - B. Singer)
The Exorcist (1973 - W. Friedkin)
Running on Empty (1988 - S. Lumet)
Babe: Pig in the City (1998 - G. Miller)
Subway (1985 - L. Besson)
The US and the Holocaust (2022 - K. Burns, S. Botstein, L. Novick)
The Munsters (2022 - R. Zombie)
Groundhog Day (1993 - H. Ramis)
The Big Steal (1949 - D. Siegel)
Swimming to Cambodia (1987 - J. Demme)

Highlights included three films directed by William Friedkin. Jade was a hot mess with sloppy second unit work but the plot was crazy enough to keep me interested. To Live and Die in LA's combination of bright visuals and bleak worldview make it one of the quintessential 80s films for me. I hadn't watched The Exorcist in decades. I think it holds up well today although its deliberate pacing makes it seem much older than horror films made just a few years later.

I also watched three recent Korean action movies. The Thieves was kind of an interesting heist movie variant that started off like a light Ocean's 11 take before taking a hard turn to over the top action in the second half. I liked Arahan best of the three because its offbeat humor reminded me a bit of Stephen Chow's films. All three were quite ridiculous but they were entertaining rides.

Subway might interest @El Floppo because of its many similarities to Diva. Subway didn't take itself as seriously but still had plenty of Christophe Lambert's scowling intensity and Isabelle Adjani looking beautiful.

Coppola's re-edited version of Godfather 3 was an improvement on the original cut. It doesn't measure up to the first two of course but there are some scenes where everything works.

The US and the Holocaust was a tough six hour slog but I'm glad I made the effort.

Spalding Gray and Swimming to Cambodia are largely forgotten today but he was huge for a brief moment in the 80s when long-form theatrical monologues became a thing. Jonathan Demme shot and edited the stage production in a similar fashion to Stop Making Sense. It was still a theater piece at its core but the film technique made it more accessible to a movie audience.

Starting a Shocktober Film Fest. I don't tend to watch many truly scary or gory films but I enjoy the spooky seasonal vibes.

So far:
1. Day of the Dead (1985)
- Kicked off the October month with only my 2nd ever Romero film. The make-up and FX are awesome but it does drag through some really bad acting to get to the good stuff. I still strongly prefer the OG Living Dead.

2. It Came From Outer Space-(1953)- Very much in line with other 50s Sci-Fi classics like Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Day the Earth Stood Still. Pure B movie stuff here but with extremely obvious social-political messages.

3. The Brood (1979) - Creepy kids, mental illness, a domineering experimental psychiatrist, body horror. This early Cronenberg delivers.

Tonight is the recent 4K release of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) remake. I love the paranoia of this. An early textbook example of how to do a remake and a great SF movie. It's the first movie so far that is a re-watch for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread