What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Not a dig at all, I'm actually a little jealous, but you watch more movies in an average month than I have in probably 5 years. I think I've seen maybe 4 or 5 movies this year.
I need to start making time for regular movie viewing. While there are still some good TV shows, I think the "golden age" of TV might have run its course. Time to get back to the movies!

I've made it a point to watch more movies (and keep track of them) this year. I've never been a big fan of streaming series so the handful I watched this year was similar to past years. There aren't many stories or sets of characters that can hold my interest for 8-10 hours.

But there's always a trade off. According to Spotify Wrapped, my music listening dropped by almost 50% vs. 2021 and I've definitely read fewer books this year than in recent memory.

Not a dig at all, I'm actually a little jealous, but you watch more movies in an average month than I have in probably 5 years. I think I've seen maybe 4 or 5 movies this year.
I need to start making time for regular movie viewing. While there are still some good TV shows, I think the "golden age" of TV might have run its course. Time to get back to the movies!

I've made it a point to watch more movies (and keep track of them) this year. I've never been a big fan of streaming series so the handful I watched this year was similar to past years. There aren't many stories or sets of characters that can hold my interest for 8-10 hours.

But there's always a trade off. According to Spotify Wrapped, my music listening dropped by almost 50% vs. 2021 and I've definitely read fewer books this year than in recent memory.
Because of the Beatles Top 10 thread here, my Spotify Wrapped makes it seem like I'm a Beatles fanatic, even though I'm just a casual fan.

Because of the Beatles Top 10 thread here, my Spotify Wrapped makes it seem like I'm a Beatles fanatic, even though I'm just a casual fan.

The Fab Four made my top 5 artists for the first time ever.

Yes, I have similarly had phases. My music listening stays pretty consistent but movies, TV and books seem to alternate. I had about a 7 year stretch where I didn't see many movies at all but watched a ton of prestige TV and was reading 3-4 books a month. Now I am watching almost no TV shows and reading maybe a book a month but watching a ton of movies. I definitely miss reading more than TV. There was a great wave of shows but it seems like the market is flooded now with entertaining but forgettable. I struggle to find something that can keep my interest for that many hours.

Anybody see the new 2022 Sight and Sound Top 100?

Some controversy with a new #1. Kane had been at the top spot for awhile but then the last list in 2012 saw Vertigo take the top spot. It's a very artsy list done by international critics and a far cry from what I think most people here would consider the 10 best. I still find it pretty interesting. I think I've seen 76 of the top 100.

Some controversy with a new #1. Kane had been at the top spot for awhile but then the last list in 2012 saw Vertigo take the top spot. It's a very artsy list done by international critics and a far cry from what I think most people here would consider the 10 best. I still find it pretty interesting. I think I've seen 76 of the top 100.

Just came in here to see if anyone had posted about this, because I just received an email from my movie/music friend Doug entitled "Astounding shakeup!" He said that upon his quick review, it seemed to be the most radical revision of any decade. I haven't reviewed yet. What are your thoughts? Doug's view on fast scan:

"Good part: I'm thrilled to see many worthy modern films on the list. I thought the 2012 list excluded too many newer movies or ranked them too low.

Bad part: When the list changes too much decade to decade, it loses its authority, like a SC with no stare decisis.

Obviously, I will spend a LOT more time with this list, but for now, it feels a bit cheapened."

... a SC with no stare decisis...
Not relevant to the main topic, but what does this mean?

... a SC with no stare decisis...
Not relevant to the main topic, but what does this mean?
Supreme Court without stare decisis.

It's a clickbait list.

Since 1952? :lmao:
Of course not. But when you're shuffling the deck to this extent (and including several movies that haven't had enough time to stand the test of time) in a given year you're running a "look at me" campaign.

And it borders on the absurd when your #1 movie of all time is one that, after nearly a half century, approximately 100% of the movie going public doesn't even know exists.

Last edited:
It's a clickbait list.

Of course not. But when you're shuffling the deck to this extent (and including several movies that haven't had enough time to stand the test of time) in a given year you're running a "look at me" campaign.

And it borders on the absurd when your #1 movie of all time is one that, after nearly a half century, approximately 100% of the movie going public doesn't even know exists.

Could be. I'm not sure it's "clickbait" to name a movie that 99% of people haven't heard of - you'd think they'd go the other direction if they really wanted clicks. But I agree with the point about the shuffling (hence the "stare decisis" comment from my friend). This list is pretty befuddling.

It's a clickbait list.

Could be. I'm not sure it's "clickbait" to name a movie that 99% of people haven't heard of - you'd think they'd go the other direction if they really wanted clicks. But I agree with the point about the shuffling (hence the "stare decisis" comment from my friend). This list is pretty befuddling.
This is a valid point, but I'd think for a list like this the outrage would come from the oddball movie at the top since it's mostly targeted to movie nerds, and outrage is what generates the clicks and shares quickest.

We started off by watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind last night. It's uneven, and I don't really like it much when it drifts away from Dreyfuss and crew. I still get the impression that I like it more than most around here.
It has occasional good parts, but it's just not a very good movie, IMO.

It is paced like Star Trek: TMP, which is to say "plodding".

And Roy just isn't a guy you can root for (yet neithet can you root against him - his family is atrocious).

I still maintain that the film is a cathartic explanation for Spielberg vis. why his dad left his family.
I can't disagree with any of this. I think I liked it less than my memory had it this time, but I am just saying in general I like this more than most. When I say that, I am also talking in relation to all his movies, as I'd watch this over Raiders if given the choice.

This movie feels like a disjointed peek into what was to come with movies like ET and others later. It's just odd to say that, as Jaws came first and is one of his best.

Speaking of, I am going to go mostly in film release order for the list I want to get to, so Jaws is up tonight.
You should start with Duel. That is a good movie and portends the good Spielberg to come.
I've watched that and Sugarland not too long ago, so it wasn't part of the plan. Mostly it's going to be the handful I've written down that I haven't seen from the other post (Hook, Color Purple, Amistad, and others) mixed in with a some random ones I either have the 4Ks for (Jaws, ET) or that I've been meaning to rewatch (Schindler's List, Lincoln).

Just came in here to see if anyone had posted about this, because I just received an email from my movie/music friend Doug entitled "Astounding shakeup!" He said that upon his quick review, it seemed to be the most radical revision of any decade. I haven't reviewed yet. What are your thoughts? Doug's view on fast scan:

"Good part: I'm thrilled to see many worthy modern films on the list. I thought the 2012 list excluded too many newer movies or ranked them too low.

Bad part: When the list changes too much decade to decade, it loses its authority, like a SC with no stare decisis.

Obviously, I will spend a LOT more time with this list, but for now, it feels a bit cheapened."
Here are some of my assorted thoughts:

- It is an interesting perspective on how tight "the cannon" should be held. The original Sight and Sound had something like 60 critics voting. This time around it was 1600- more than the total of every previous poll combined. Should film cannon be determined by a small very select group or should it be a large diverse body? Not sure I have answer, but it is a key question.

- As always, comedy gets the short end of the stick. Only 6 or so movies I would consider primarily comedies. Maybe comedy struggles to cross cultural barriers? Maybe it's just the same reason the Oscars rarely honor comedies. Only 1 musical on the list. I am surprised there is no love for Wizard of Oz, Cabaret or one of the Demy musicals. This bias for super serious films likely never changes.

- Even with some big changes, it's not too far from what I would expect and is still very old guard
By country:
  1. US- 32 films
  2. France- 20 films
  3. Italy and Japan- 8 films
  4. UK- 6 films
By decade:
  1. -50s and 60s- 20 films
  2. 70s- 14 films
  3. 90s- 9 films
  4. 40s- 8 films
  5. 80s- 7 films
  6. 20s- 7 films
  7. 00s- 6 films
  8. 30s- 5 films
  9. 2010s- 4 films
Seems like the newer films are probably chopping away at the 20s-40s era of films which I guess makes sense as critics become further and further from that older era.

- Finally, as for the big shake-up at the top, can't say Jeanne Dielman would make my list. It's extremely interesting and is what I would consider a high concept film about a pretty low concept topic. It is boring and that's part of it's genius. Still it is a tough watch (which I do think is the point). I don't think it's deserving of the top spot and it will certainly create unwarranted expectations for people seeking it out. It's being set up to fail. The same thing was true of Citizen Kane and Vertigo. Ranking anything as the best movie ever creates impossible expectations. I also think this vote makes this list seem like some serious gatekeping. People who might have found Kane or Vertigo interesting but boring will likely turn Jeanne Dielman off an hour into it. I do think it is interesting when you consider the roles of women in Kane and Vertigo now in conversation with Dielman. Still, I do like my movies to be entertaining and I can't say i found entertainment in Dielman.

-These movies dropped out from the last list that I think deserved a spot:
Godfather 2, Raging Bull, Grand Illusion, Nashville, Chinatown, Lawrence of Arabia

-These movies were new to the top 100 and I think well deserving
Goodfellas, The Apartment, Parasite, Chungking Express, Killer of Sheep, Do the Right Thing

Obviously, this is a double advantage to older movies as they had less competition and more chances to get on the poll but if tallied all the top 10 votes since '52, this would be our all time leaderboard.

20. In the Mood For Love
19. The Godfather
18. The Gold Rush
17. Seven Samurai
16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
15. Singin' in the Rain
14. City Lights
13. Jeanne Dielman 23 quai du commerce 1080 Bruxelles
12. The Passion of Joan of Arc
11, The Searchers
10. Greed
9. Bicycle Thieves
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey
7. 8 1/2
6. L'Avventura
5. Tokyo Story
4. Battleship Potemkin
3. Vertigo
2. Rules of the Game
1. Citizen Kane

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Hadn't seen this one before. I really enjoyed it. I wasn't prepared for the incredibly fast pace and the rapid dialogue. Both were a pleasant surprise, though at times I think I missed some of the dialogue - I'll have to do a rewatch. I had no idea this was the 2nd film version of this story, the first happening in 1931. I don't plan on watching the earlier film (unless folks here say it's a must see). I'm not sure everything that happened hung together logically (I didn't always understand how Spade knew what he knew and why did what he did), but it didn't happen often enough or deeply enough to prevent me appreciating the film. The lead actors were mostly good, though I didn't really dig Mary Astor, and I didn't find her compelling in a role that really needed a compelling performance. It's more than made up for by Lorre, Greenstreet, and a few of the others. I see why they went to those wells often in future endeavors.

Bogart is/makes the movie though. The man is such an incredible actor. I think Astor suffered from being in scenes with him, he's just way beyond her level. He was so natural, fluid and as always, visceral in his portrayal it really didn't seem like acting at all. Fantastic.

They did a really good job of setting up the mysteries of the first half of the film and then unravelling them over the second half. You knew all the murders and motivations were tied together somehow, but they made the journey of explicitly connecting them worthwhile.

Do people consider this a noir film? It didn't really have the introspection I associate with noir films - the internal monologue voice overs, the dark brooding of the protagonist. This was more like a romp for Sam Spade.

Anyway, a must see.

ETA: I saw it via HBO Max.

Last edited:
Can't believe "Troll" is 83% on Rotten Tomatoes....clearly a forumulaic B movie.
Just looked that up and yeah how in the world does that have such a high RT score. It looks so awful and the audiences agree. I wonder if there was some studio pressure?

Can't believe "Troll" is 83% on Rotten Tomatoes....clearly a forumulaic B movie.
Just looked that up and yeah how in the world does that have such a high RT score. It looks so awful and the audiences agree. I wonder if there was some studio pressure?
My 85 year old mother watched it and reported that it is terrible. Thats all I need to know. :)

I watched Where The Crawdads Sing this weekend and really enjoyed it. As did my partner. Haven't read the book so have no comparison but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. 8/10
Also watched Ticket To Paradise and it was OK. Nothing special but had a few chuckles thoughout. 6.5/10

Hadn't seen this one before. I really enjoyed it. I wasn't prepared for the incredibly fast pace and the rapid dialogue. Both were a pleasant surprise, though at times I think I missed some of the dialogue - I'll have to do a rewatch. I had no idea this was the 2nd film version of this story, the first happening in 1931. I don't plan on watching the earlier film (unless folks here say it's a must see). I'm not sure everything that happened hung together logically (I didn't always understand how Spade knew what he knew and why did what he did), but it didn't happen often enough or deeply enough to prevent me appreciating the film. The lead actors were mostly good, though I didn't really dig Mary Astor, and I didn't find her compelling in a role that really needed a compelling performance. It's more than made up for by Lorre, Greenstreet, and a few of the others. I see why they went to those wells often in future endeavors.

Bogart is/makes the movie though. The man is such an incredible actor. I think Astor suffered from being in scenes with him, he's just way beyond her level. He was so natural, fluid and as always, visceral in his portrayal it really didn't seem like acting at all. Fantastic.

They did a really good job of setting up the mysteries of the first half of the film and then unravelling them over the second half. You knew all the murders and motivations were tied together somehow, but they made the journey of explicitly connecting them worthwhile.

Do people consider this a noir film? It didn't really have the introspection I associate with noir films - the internal monologue voice overs, the dark brooding of the protagonist. This was more like a romp for Sam Spade.

Anyway, a must see.

I think you nailed it. It’s actually the 3rd adaptation. There was a Bette Davis version called Satan Met a Lady where they add some humor to it. Neither of them are worth a viewing for anyone other than a Dashiel Hammett aficionado. The story is a little tough to follow and honestly, the books are similar. I agree Mary Astor is a weak link. She’s not attractive enough or charismatic enough to pull off the role. The rest of the cast kills it though. It’s often considered the first noir. It’s certainly missing of the elements but we’ve got femme fatale, hard boiled detective, etc. It’s considered a big influence on the crime/noir genre and was John Huston’s first film as a director.

If you liked that, I would recommend:
The Big Sleep- more Bogey as hard boiled detective, Lauren Bacall is a big upgrade over Astor

The Gun for Hire- also a very early noir with Veronica Lake and Alan Ladd

I wasn't in the mood when I started The Big Sleep - never finished it.

To Have and Have Not, OTOH, is really good. It's in making that movie that Bogart & Bacall fell in love.

It's been mentioned a few times here, but other than Casablanca my favorite Bogart is In A Lonely Place.

Key Largo is worth a watch too. It has the added benefit of Edward G Robinson.

I'm late to the discussion of the Sight & Sound poll. It's impossible to build a critical consensus but I've found some of the individual ballots of filmmakers and critics more interesting.

Anyway, a must see.

I think you nailed it. It’s actually the 3rd adaptation. There was a Bette Davis version called Satan Met a Lady where they add some humor to it. Neither of them are worth a viewing for anyone other than a Dashiel Hammett aficionado. The story is a little tough to follow and honestly, the books are similar. I agree Mary Astor is a weak link. She’s not attractive enough or charismatic enough to pull off the role. The rest of the cast kills it though. It’s often considered the first noir. It’s certainly missing of the elements but we’ve got femme fatale, hard boiled detective, etc. It’s considered a big influence on the crime/noir genre and was John Huston’s first film as a director.

If you liked that, I would recommend:
The Big Sleep- more Bogey as hard boiled detective, Lauren Bacall is a big upgrade over Astor

The Gun for Hire- also a very early noir with Veronica Lake and Alan Ladd
Complete agreement here. Maltese Falcon felt good but overrated to me while I enjoyed The Big Sleep much more.

I watched JAWS the other night, and then over the last couple days I watched the Spielberg doc on HBO before I went on to more films. I didn't know much about the details of his family and his parents' divorce, so that was interesting. Well worth the watch.

As for Jaws, it's awesome, and continually climbing my GOAT movie rankings. I know I internalized it before,but for some reason on this watch it really sunk in what the hell was going on for 4th of July and how everybody there had to know about the attacks and deaths. If so - WTF were there so many people there??? Anyway, just a random thought that hit me the other night and I was surprised it didn't hit me the same way before it.

Next up is E.T., but the wife also wants to watch that so I will wait until she has a night to participate. So then it's Color Purple and Empire of the Sun.

One thing I am trying to wrap my head around and think about is why a director who has a decent # of movies at the tops of my lists for all time or at least for each decade is still a director I wouldn' rank that high overall or consider one of my favorites. Basically what I am saying is that hearing that there is a new Spielberg movie coming out never really moves the needle for me like the dozens of other directors I could list does.

One thing I am trying to wrap my head around and think about is why a director who has a decent # of movies at the tops of my lists for all time or at least for each decade is still a director I wouldn' rank that high overall or consider one of my favorites. Basically what I am saying is that hearing that there is a new Spielberg movie coming out never really moves the needle for me like the dozens of other directors I could list does.

He's a brilliant technician and a reliably efficient storyteller. But he's rarely flashy and doesn't let his technique dominate the movie. This is mostly a net positive for the good of the art but I agree that a new Spielberg doesn't come with the same anticipation as other more personal filmmakers.

I'm inspired by your quest so I'm going to watch his Columbo episode if Portugal scores another goal.

Spielberg's Columbo episode (S1 E1 no less) Murder By the Book was very entertaining. It's largely an interior shoot with a handful of locations but Spielberg framing, camera movement and editing never makes it seem static. The outstanding opening credits sequence artfully conveys a lot of information about the story to come with only Martin Milner's typewriter as aural accompaniment.

Peter Falk is excellent, especially when he verbally jousts with slick villain Jack Cassidy. Columbo's cracking of the case at the end leaves a bit to be desired but there's only so much mystery you can fit into the 76 minute time constraint.

I'd probably have to watch other episodes to see how the 24 year old Spielberg's work stacks up against the TV pros who directed Columbo in later episodes. It's still very cool to see a master at the very start of his career.

I watched JAWS the other night, and then over the last couple days I watched the Spielberg doc on HBO before I went on to more films. I didn't know much about the details of his family and his parents' divorce, so that was interesting. Well worth the watch.

As for Jaws, it's awesome, and continually climbing my GOAT movie rankings. I know I internalized it before,but for some reason on this watch it really sunk in what the hell was going on for 4th of July and how everybody there had to know about the attacks and deaths. If so - WTF were there so many people there??? Anyway, just a random thought that hit me the other night and I was surprised it didn't hit me the same way before it.

Next up is E.T., but the wife also wants to watch that so I will wait until she has a night to participate. So then it's Color Purple and Empire of the Sun.

I think it's because he is nearly the opposite of PTA. There is always warmth in his films and PTA goes much more for the dark side.

You may have heard this already but at 22 or 23, Spielberg directed a TV movie starring Joan Crawford. She told him he was the best director she had ever worked with. Now I don’t know if that story originated from Joan or Steven or if it’s even true but it sure makes a great story.

I just finished watching an even earlier Spielberg TV show from 1970, S1 E24 of Marcus Welby M.D. where the 23 year old savant got to direct Hollywood legends Robert Young and Marsha Hunt.

It was a lot more workmanlike than his Columbo episode. The story is a piece of soapy corn about a high school hemophiliac. Doctor Welby is a veritable prince of a man who seems to have only one patient and co-star James Brolin is impossibly young. Spielberg is given a lot less rope to work with than in the Colombo episode but he shows off some the same tricks: low camera angles, extreme closeups, odd composition in depth using rack focus. The climactic field trip rescue starting around the 40 min mark is very accomplished filmmaking IMO.

My mom used to watch this series regularly. I remember seeing it after I was allowed to stay up late to watch the late local news. That was a big deal at the time.

After watching some awful sequels that shouldn’t have been made, I figured the Sight and Sound List would be a good chaser. So I used it to gather my next set of films around. Here’s what I’ve watched so far and why I’ve chosen it:

Wanda (70)- First appearance on the list. It’s the first movie written, directed and starring the same woman: Barbara Loden. A hard up woman In Pennsylvania takes up on the run with a criminal. Not quite a Bonnie and Clyde story. She’s more along for the ride out of desperation and depression than any sense of fun. It’s on HBO Max if interested. It was ok.

Singin’ in the Rain (52)- Returns to the top 10 after falling out in 2012. I got the 4K disc recently and this was an excuse to check it out. The look of this in HDR is fitting for how perfect this movie is.

Le Million (32)- Made its only Sight and Sound appearance on the original 1952 list. I was curious about a movie that 70 years ago was considered one of the greatest 10 movies ever made and then seemed to immediately disappear from the conversation. I saw this on TCM and the intro laid out that this was especially important for its very early innovative use of sound (stumbled into a perfect double feature with Singin’ in the Rain). So given all this I had low expectations but I was so pleasantly surprised, I rewatched it the next day. Just a fun, breezy musical comedy with shades of Chaplin, Marx Brothers and Ophuls.

Black Girl (70)- First appearance on the list. I am sure it was startling at the time. It’s probably a bit obvious now. Black Senegalese woman is hired by a French couple to be their servant and plenty of “subtle” racism follows. It’s a critique of colonialism, racism, etc. The movie looks fantastic and the ending is truly haunting. Definitely recommend on HBO Max. Only 58 minutes which I appreciated. It gets right to the point.

News from Home (76)- First appearance on the list. Also directed by Chantal Ackerman- director of the somewhat controversial new #1. It’s an experimental documentary. Essentially scenes of 70s NY juxtaposed with the reading of letters from Chantal’s mother in Belgium. It’s on HBO Max, it’s interesting but I was bored with it. Felt very much like watching a multimedia art piece at a museum where I would have watched for 5-10 minutes and moved on. Well done and challenging but not something I could recommend to many people.

Last edited:
How did Gremlins ever become popular? I'd forgotten how lame it is! :lol:

I will say, rebooted as a true horror film with truly sinister gremlins then you may have something.

I think Gremlins can get a little meanspirited and dark, which is really at odds with the rest of the goofy **** going on in the movie. Plus the rules are dumb. Should have figured out something besides the time one.

Watched some movies recently:

Operation Mincemeat
Colin Firth leads this all-star WW2 drama. Excellent. Highly recommended.

Bullet Train
No way should an action movie be this heavy-handed and melodramatic. BUT...there are some fun fight scenes. Much like Deadpool, Bullet Train lampoons action cliches while simultaneously embracing them. Not great, but fun at times.

I Love You, Man
Light and silly, this Jason Siegal / Paul Rudd movie is pretty funny.

It probably wasn't the best decision to watch them in consecutive days, but I finished up The Color Purple and Amistad. I didn't like either, and it left me with a ton of questions. I am still thinking about them both and trying to filter it through past eyes vs. 2022 which can be hard.

I think long story short, maybe Steve wasn't the person to do these movies, but if not him - who else? Especially when we are putting it in context of when they came out.

Users who are viewing this thread