What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (10 Viewers)

Agreed Mario Movie was fun. Jack Black is very good at this stuff. Theater I saw it in was full and kids were freaking out, some adults too :lol:

Return of the Living Dead (Tubi): 1985, gets a huge 7.3 rating at IMDB. I think this movie broke some barriers at the time - maybe the first to be intentionally goofy, maybe the first to have fast zombies, maybe the first to establish that zombies want to eat brains, maybe the first speaking zombies.

My daughter pointed out that it might have the only overlap of a guy smoking a pipe and wearing headphones. That’s how this movie felt overall - the last remnants of that awful old movie speech pattern that came over from the stage in the old characters, mixed with what probably seemed like the future of youth culture, but was the dead end of punk. This is such an 80s movie, with random boobs, old people’s misguided view of youth culture, pretty bad synth music…

But it had some good things too. Practical effects, smart characters who did the right things to win, some great scenes of muddy zombies breaking out of graves, a couple of great looking zombies, generally good special effects throughout. Also maybe the most unbeatable zombie setup ever.

Still, just way too 80s. It might have been groundbreaking at the time, paving the way for better movies, but watching it now, it’s not very good.

Happiness of thr Katakaris (Tubi): Japanese musical horror comedy, of course! This was on a list of zombie movies, but only has zombies for about 1 minute for a group dance. Bonkers movie - the first 3 minutes is as insane as anything I’ve seen (girl pulls a gnome out of her soup, it rips off her uvula, a crow eats the gnome, and a purse eats the crow). It gets more normal after that, but is still a Jmhc so it can’t get all that normal. Best part is probably the claims a con man makes. Worth watching if you’re in a good mood.

Follow the Dead (Tubi): Irish zomcom! Except the comedy isn’t very funny and the plot points don’t really add up to make a movie. No special effects budget.

Is it transmitted by zombie bites? No. Dog bites? Maybe, but how does a while town get bitten by dogs? Fluids? No. Mainly this is a story about family, and maybe that story works a little, but everything around it is messy. Not worth watching.

Follow the Dead (Tubi): Irish zomcom! Except the comedy isn’t very funny and the plot points don’t really add up to make a movie. No special effects budget.

Is it transmitted by zombie bites? No. Dog bites? Maybe, but how does a while town get bitten by dogs? Fluids? No. Mainly this is a story about family, and maybe that story works a little, but everything around it is messy. Not worth watching.
gb... you need to somehow monetize your love/knowledge/insight/humor into all things zombie.

• Cobra (1986): If viewed as an action-comedy, this is a real blast to watch. I love how totally insane everything about this movie is.
Lol thing is Cobra was not trying to be an action comedy in the least bit. I also revisited this on HBO Max. Ugh god it was so bad. Stallone mailed this one in badly.
I agree, it's an unintentional action comedy. If taken seriously, it is god awful.

Cobra is 100% a comedy - although Stallone didn't know it at the time.

gb... you need to somehow monetize your love/knowledge/insight/humor into all things zombie.
I'm sure I'll make a bundle off of a top 50 zombies thread here at FBG. Just sit back and profit.

The Cured (Tubi/Vudu): Irish zombie movie! Somehow we have Elliott Page as the only American in Ireland as one of thr leads, though. Neat concept - a cure worked on 75% of zombies, but they remember what they did and are pretty messed up. 25% are contained in cells (accomplished by magic, I’m guessing). A Cured is released from quarantine to live with his dead brother’s family. Townsfolk aren’t happy about Cured living among them and there’s violence. Some neat acting in flashbacks and by the main charismatic leader of a Cured insurgency. There’s some Irish history hinted at in a lot of this.

This movie has a relatively low IMDB rating, but I’m not sure why. It’s well made and acted, the effects all work flawlessly, there’s some tragedy as in all zombie movies. I think this is considerably better than its rating.

Demons (Plex): Italian zombie set in Berlin and acted in English? Sure, whatever. Bad voiceover work all around here. These are technically demons, but it’s definitely a zombie movie, as a scratch from one turns you into a demon. Terrible acting, uneven special effects (a great fingernail scene stick out though), a pointless nipple shot that went on too long, the crazy decision to have the demons gurgle out greenish tealish foam… what a wreck of a movie. This really looked to me like the movie Thriller was making fun of. Two points in its favor: awful 80s fashion and a killer hair metal soundtrack. Otherwise, skip this trash.

Re-Animator (Tubi): 1985, good IMDB rating. Not really zombies, more like Frankenstein's monster - returned from the dead by someone, but not contagious. I've always heard of Barbara Crampton, the screen queen, but I think this is the first movie I've seen her in. It was pretty exploitative! 80s movies had more nudity than any of them needed, and I'm noticing a pretty rapey vibe to most of the 80s movies I've watched recently. This was definitely in that category.

This is a gross movie, with lots of zombies that looked like cadavers rather than strangely over-rotted typical zombie fare. These looked more human, but showed how they had been killed, plus any medical work done on them after death. In that way, it's notable for its look. Plot-wise, it's pretty predictable from the second scene onward. The mad scientist was pretty convincingly creepy and was convincing in his belief that he was in the right for most of the movie. There were some strange close-up shots throughout the movie that did nothing but slow things down slightly.

Overall, this was above the worth-watching line, but gross, rapey, and aged.

• Cobra (1986): If viewed as an action-comedy, this is a real blast to watch. I love how totally insane everything about this movie is.
Lol thing is Cobra was not trying to be an action comedy in the least bit. I also revisited this on HBO Max. Ugh god it was so bad. Stallone mailed this one in badly.
I agree, it's an unintentional action comedy. If taken seriously, it is god awful.

Admittedly, the night stalkers did scare me a little bit in my adolescence.

Memory: The Origins of Alien

Pretty good until the pretentious snobs show up - led by the shrill harpy that starts going off on misogyny and patriarchy. Ugh - when the only tool you have is a vagina everything seems like a penis...or something like that.

Anyway, one thing that struck me is the dichotomy that is Ash compared to the alien. We're afraid of being "invaded" by outside forces both to our personhood and our society. In this instance, BOTH happen. Ash is every bit the invasive species that the alien is. It might be even more horrific, however, since it is a creation of our own - and thus a reflection of ourselves.

Veronica Cartwright seems pretty cool.

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch Violent Night. Santa wrecked some fools.
It was like it was written and filmed the the 80's. Gloriously cheesy and violent. Highest recommendation, it will be in the holiday rotation for years to come.
Just watched this on a flight... wow. So bad it was funny. "Gloriously cheesy and violent" is perfect. Would watch again.

Gotta admit that there are some great quotes in this movie.

Bad guy "I'll blow this whole place up! "
Cobra "Go ahead, I don't shop here"

Cobra "You're a disease and I'm the cure"

Re-Animator (Tubi): 1985, good IMDB rating. Not really zombies, more like Frankenstein's monster - returned from the dead by someone, but not contagious. I've always heard of Barbara Crampton, the screen queen, but I think this is the first movie I've seen her in. It was pretty exploitative! 80s movies had more nudity than any of them needed, and I'm noticing a pretty rapey vibe to most of the 80s movies I've watched recently. This was definitely in that category.

This is a gross movie, with lots of zombies that looked like cadavers rather than strangely over-rotted typical zombie fare. These looked more human, but showed how they had been killed, plus any medical work done on them after death. In that way, it's notable for its look. Plot-wise, it's pretty predictable from the second scene onward. The mad scientist was pretty convincingly creepy and was convincing in his belief that he was in the right for most of the movie. There were some strange close-up shots throughout the movie that did nothing but slow things down slightly.

One of my favorite 80's horror movies. Very unique when it came out.

Still fairly unique now, I'd say. Some of the effects with the body-without-a-head were almost Benny Hill like, but it was properly gross and the reanimated really felt like corpses rather than almost every other zombie movie that makes them decompose in seconds.

Still fairly unique now, I'd say. Some of the effects with the body-without-a-head were almost Benny Hill like, but it was properly gross and the reanimated really felt like corpses rather than almost every other zombie movie that makes them decompose in seconds.
The sequel, Bride of Re-Animator was disappointing.

Cocaine Bear is awful. I thought it had potential, but man, it's bad. There's like 20 minutes left, and I really just want to turn it off. Seriously nothing good about the movie.

Last edited:
Return of the Living Dead movies are awesome, both of them. Also Reanimator.
I'm just not finding myself liking the 80s zombie movies that are considered good. I used to have a general policy that any movie from before Star Wars wasn't worth watching because the hit rate is so low... I'm starting to wonder if it's more like a 30-year rolling window. Most of the comedies I liked from the 80s are awful to watch now.

By that time, I'd already seen far too may horror films for my own good - so I was ok with it.

Gotta admit that there are some great quotes in this movie.

Bad guy "I'll blow this whole place up! "
Cobra "Go ahead, I don't shop here"

Cobra "You're a disease and I'm the cure"

My favorite scene is Stallone and Nielsen in a hotel room. She's sleeping, and he's doing really loud battle prep loading ammo and inserting magazines, and he says, "What's the matter? Can't sleep?" No, ###hole. I can't sleep while you prepare for war on the bed next to me.

Cocaine Bear is awfully. I thought it had potential, but man, it's bad. There's like 20 minutes left, and I really just want to turn it off. Seriously nothing good about the movie.
we had drinks in the theater and found it hilarious :shrug: probably cause we were drunk

Watched a couple of movies yesterday;

The Judge (Hulu)
Had watched before when it first came out.
Robert Downey Jr & Rober Duvall. Also costarred Jeremy Strong from Succession, who was less famous back in 2014, but his role as a "simpleton" brother was really well done.
I recall liking this movie when it first came out, and really enjoyed it again. Duvall is brilliant as always.

Southpaw (Hulu)
Jake Gyllenhaal, Rahcel McAdams and Forest Whitaker.
I'm not a boxing fan, but I did enjoy this movie. I'm not sure if the fight scenes were that realistic but the story was entertaining with a satisfying ending.

I'm just not finding myself liking the 80s zombie movies that are considered good. I used to have a general policy that any movie from before Star Wars wasn't worth watching because the hit rate is so low... I'm starting to wonder if it's more like a 30-year rolling window. Most of the comedies I liked from the 80s are awful to watch now.
I can see our movie tastes aren’t going to align. I feel almost the opposite, like movies are getting worse.

I can see our movie tastes aren’t going to align. I feel almost the opposite, like movies are getting worse.
It’s me, not the movies - I’m changing and the lens I see movies through is changing over time. I don’t think movies are necessarily better now, but things like 80s directing/acting conversation styles bug me and am getting increasingly annoyed by outdated treatment of female characters.

It’s not some crusade of mine or anything - I didn’t expect to feel this way, but it turns out I do. Even movies I used to like are fading for me in a lot of cases.

It’s me, not the movies - I’m changing and the lens I see movies through is changing over time. I don’t think movies are necessarily better now, but things like 80s directing/acting conversation styles bug me and am getting increasingly annoyed by outdated treatment of female characters.

It’s not some crusade of mine or anything - I didn’t expect to feel this way, but it turns out I do. Even movies I used to like are fading for me in a lot of cases.
Yeah I get it. I think a lot of 80s movies have held up very poorly. I would consider my favorite ere of movies the 40s-50s probably but I get that the tone and pacing doesn't always work for modern audiences.

Netflix cancelling their DVD plan in Sep. Probably not too many left, but I was one.

I honestly had no idea this was still happening. Shocked to read this.
I heard on CBS news last night they were down to around a million subscribers left

Honestly I'm surprised the DVD media still work.... discs degrade over time. Probably an issue just sourcing the physical media to distribute. How many DVD copies of some movie that hasn't pressed discs since 2003 still work after 20 years? And how many physical copies of Cocaine Bear do you really need to buy to service those few subscribers at the turnaround they expect?

Netflix cancelling their DVD plan in Sep. Probably not too many left, but I was one.

I heard on CBS news last night they were down to around a million subscribers left

Honestly I'm surprised the DVD media still work.... discs degrade over time. Probably an issue just sourcing the physical media to distribute. How many DVD copies of some movie that hasn't pressed discs since 2003 still work after 20 years? And how many physical copies of Cocaine Bear do you really need to buy to service those few subscribers at the turnaround they expect?
They cost like $0.01 to print.

I thought CDs would last forever. I have a bunch of apple II 5-1/4” floppy disks that are from the late 70s that still work.

I'll do my usual writeup of the old crap I watch at the end of the month but I watched a couple of recent releases that I don't think have been mentioned here.

80 for Brady (Peacock) It wasn't great cinema but it was inoffensively entertaining. The four old stars each had their moments, especially Rita Moreno, and some of the cameos were clever. The premise was ridiculous of course but it somehow worked for me as a bizarre historical document of Super Bowl LI and a movie you can watch with your parents.

Gangs of Lagos (Amazon Prime) A Nigerian crime movie directed by Jade Osiberu. I've only watched a couple of other Nollywood films but this was a good one. The cliched story of young up-and-coming criminals has been done a hundred times but the Lagos locations, a great soundtrack and some fine performances set this one apart. Osiberu is a visual stylist with a flair for violent action sequences although he didn't leave any drone shots on the cutting room floor. The characters switched seamlessly between English and Yoruba, sometimes in the course of a sentence.

Last edited:
Quasi - New Broken Lizard movie on Hulu. It's exactly what you think it's going to be - dumb. But I definitely laughed a fair amount. It's not as good as the first Super Troopers or Beerfest. But for some dumb laughs, it could be worse.

Shivers (Roku): 1975 zombie movie, mostly. An early Cronenberg movie produced by Ivan Reitman. I suspect a fair amount of cocaine and key parties among the people who dreamed up this movie. A doctor engineers a parasite that can filter blood as a possible kidney replacement. He puts it in the young woman he’s been statutory raping since she was 12 (I think they said 12). He kills her and destroys the parasites with acid, but it turns out she gave it to other people first when having sex with them, so now it’s everywhere. The parasites make people super horny and rapey, and they pass it on to others. Even people who should be dead seem to reanimate to be hosts for the parasites. Everyone in the movie ends up raped into zombiness… just brutal. The acting was dreadful, but the special effects were well done - it’s Cronenberg, so of course it was gross body horror stuff. The parasites looked gross and plausible, and the way they moved in people’s stomachs was cool and gross, pre-Alien even. I didn’t like how the parasites would jump at people and burn their skin - it didn’t seem necessary or physically possible. Not a movie worth watching, but it’s interesting to see an early Cronenberg movie already show some of his trademarks. I really picked a tough movie given the way that the 80s treatment of women characters was getting to me.

ETA: probably should have used the phrase “sexual assault” rather than rape in a lot of cases - there was some rape, but mostly it seemed to be wrestling someone into submission and kissing them to pass a parasite.

Last edited:

I don't know, maybe a billion?

I don't remember who recommended The Killers, but thanks to whoever did. I finally watched the 1964 version last night and really enjoyed it. Good cast, never slows down and some decent twists. I wonder if the 1946 version is as good or better?

Users who are viewing this thread