What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

I don't remember who recommended The Killers, but thanks to whoever did. I finally watched the 1964 version last night and really enjoyed it. Good cast, never slows down and some decent twists. I wonder if the 1946 version is as good or better?
Take nothing away from Ava Gardner :wub:, personally I liked the '64 version (Angie Dickinson :wub:) . Although the '46 version is undoubtably a classic.

I don't remember who recommended The Killers, but thanks to whoever did. I finally watched the 1964 version last night and really enjoyed it. Good cast, never slows down and some decent twists. I wonder if the 1946 version is as good or better?
HERE is Hemingway's short story and it's the way the 1946 film starts

The 46 version is better IMO.

I watched Personality Crisis: One Night Only, the new documentary about New York Dolls frontman David Johansen. It's directed by Martin Scorsese and David Tedeschi, who previously had collaborated on recent films about The Rolling Thunder Revue and Fran Lebowitz. Like Lebowitz, Johansen is a bigger name in New York City than anywhere else on earth so as well as a biography, the film also functions as an elegy for the city in the 70s and 80s

Personality Crisis uses archival footage combined with interviews and a cabaret performance recorded in Jan 2020. Its put together with affection for the artist giving him lots of space to tell his own story. He's always been as much of a raconteur as a singer. Your enjoyment will depend on your interest in Johansen and his schtick. I liked it but it's an awful lot of David Johansen.

Landed on a GREAT double feature last night on Showtime: April Fool's Day ('86) and Bodies Bodies Bodies. :lol:

Very fun pairing. I've been putting off Bodies - I was a bit nervous about Davidson, the cast, and thinking I was going to hate them all. I was right - I would only want to party with the old guy, but that's part of the fun and it turns out that it's well written and purposeful how crappy these people are. Lesson learned - when in doubt, I will go back to just trusting A24 to at least put out something worth watching even if I don't love it - especially in the horror realm.

Landed on a GREAT double feature last night on Showtime: April Fool's Day ('86) and Bodies Bodies Bodies. :lol:

Very fun pairing. I've been putting off Bodies - I was a bit nervous about Davidson, the cast, and thinking I was going to hate them all. I was right - I would only want to party with the old guy, but that's part of the fun and it turns out that it's well written and purposeful how crappy these people are. Lesson learned - when in doubt, I will go back to just trusting A24 to at least put out something worth watching even if I don't love it - especially in the horror realm.
If you liked Bodies, try out Sissy on AMC. Very similar setup, also dinked around with your expectations.

If you liked Bodies, try out Sissy on AMC. Very similar setup, also dinked around with your expectations.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will try to get to it in the next week.

Deathdream (Prime): 1972 movie where a young soldier comes home from Vietnam to his parents and sister, but he’s turned into a sociopath. Turns out he died there, and what came home is a walking corpse that will die if it doesn’t get blood about once per day.

I can see the subtext about Vietnam soldiers coming home but having changed into someone their parents don’t recognize, sometimes violent… as if they died in Vietnam and someone else came hoke in their body.

This is acted pretty poorly (other than the soldier), the effects are pretty poor, the music is too jarring… but the overall story is pretty good. It gets a 6.6 at IMDB, which seems a bit high, but I’m always harsh about older movies.

Last edited:
FInally watched The Raid 2 last night. It was decent but no where close to the original that I really enjoyed
Are they streaming anywhere?
Made it halfway through Redemption (on Netflix) last night but got tired and had to bail. I'll finish up tonight, but pretty underwhelming so far. No where near as good as its predecessor. I hope it picks up steam going forward.
Redemption is the first one ...so not sure what is the predecessor or are you talking about Redemption the Jason Statham movie?

FInally watched The Raid 2 last night. It was decent but no where close to the original that I really enjoyed
Are they streaming anywhere?
Made it halfway through Redemption (on Netflix) last night but got tired and had to bail. I'll finish up tonight, but pretty underwhelming so far. No where near as good as its predecessor. I hope it picks up steam going forward.
Redemption is the first one ...so not sure what is the predecessor or are you talking about Redemption the Jason Statham movie?
My bad. In my mind I considered #1 as just "The Raid" and the sequel as the "Redemption". The sequel, so far anyway, has been kinda meh. Too much plot in between the action. Just not what I thought it was going to be. Thought it was going to be Wick-ish, more of a good thing.

The last king of scotland, I hadn’t even heard of this movie until my buddy and me were talking about Forrest Whitaker, holy **** what a movie
Yeah, this is a really good film. I watched it multiple times around the time it came out. McAvoy was really good in this too, hard not to be outshined by Whitaker's performance.

Acting is so stiff and wooden. Unintentional laughs. Wonder if Stallone was coked out when he made it. Razzie nominated for worst picture, worst actor, worst actress, worst supporting actor and worst screenplay.
I would bet my house he was coked out. I read he was so full of himself when making it that he had a rule on set that nobody but the director was allowed to talk to him. Filming was constantly delayed because he was having sex with Nielsen in his trailer.
HIs priorities were right in this case.

Movies I watched in April

The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover (1977 - L. Cohen)
The Negotiator (1998 - F.G. Gray)
Homicide (1991 - D. Mamet)
OSS 117: Lost in Rio (2010 - M. Hazanavicius)
The Last Temptation of Christ (1988 - M. Scorsese)
80 for Brady (2023 - K. Marvin)
The Dictator (2012 - L. Charles)
Gangs of Lagos (2023 - J. Osiberu)
J. Edgar (2011 - C. Eastwood)
The Phantom of the Paradise (1974 - B. De Palma)
Personality Crisis: One Night Only (2023 - M. Scorsese/D. Tedeschi)
Play Misty For Me (1971 - C. Eastwood)
The Catcher Was a Spy (2018 - B. Lewin)
The FBI Story (1959 - M. LeRoy)

A relatively lean month and I've already written up the new stuff.

My monthly project was three films about J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI. The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover was a muckraking biography made five years after Hoover's death by 70s exploitation king Larry Cohen. It did a lot with a low budget and a cast including Broderick Crawford and a bunch of "that guys". Clint Eastwood's J. Edgar covered a lot of the same ground with a much more serious tone and a greater focus on Hoover's character. I don't know if Leonardo DiCaprio's performance was brilliant or terrible. Hoover's personal project The FBI Story was probably my favorite of the three. It's pure propaganda but it was put together in a very entertaining package with James Stewart's agent and family man as an idealized avatar for Hoover. The script included an amazing number of film tropes and cliches--a character turns on a radio for no other reason than it'll announce the bombing of Pearl Harbor at the end of the scene.

The Negotiator was a solidly constructed action movie that holds up well 25 years later. You don't see as many corrupt cops as villains these days. It was a lot more common in the 1970-2000 timeframe.

Homicide had great Mamet dialog and some excellent performances but I thought the story completely fell apart in the third act.

OSS 117: Lost in Rio
is the second in a series of very funny French spy movie parodies by the makers of The Artist. I'm a big fan of the series but haven't been able to find the third one anywhere.

I watched The Last Temptation of Christ on Easter. I think the 80s are the most interesting period of Scorsese's career even though his masterpieces came earlier and later. Last Temptation falls short of that level but it's a unique humanist take on the biblical epic genre.

The Dictator was pretty conventional for a Sasha Baron Cohen vehicle but it made me laugh enough times to succeed as a comedy.

The Phantom of the Paradise was an early De Palma entry in the 70s midnight movies craze. It's cheesy good fun and the director's typically operatic camera makes it a better movie than it should be.

I hadn't seen Play Misty For Me in decades. I don't think it's held up very well; it's beautifully shot but the script had problems with pacing and character. Clint's hair was magnificent.

The Catcher Was a Spy was a pretty decent old fashioned WWII spy story based on the true story of former Major League catcher Moe Berg. Paul Rudd isn't an actor you normally associate with assassinating Nazis but he was believable as an enigmatic character.

Open Grave (Peacock free): 2013 movie starring Sharlto Copley (from District 9). An odd rating - 18% on Rotten Tomatoes but 6.2 on IMDB. I thought this was a good movie. Guy wakes up in a pit of dead bodies with no memory, others he meets also woke up with no memory, but in a house. There are some rage virus zombies about. I won't give away the story because the whole point of the movie is that it unravels the backstory. I thought the acting was decent, the story was good, and the movie looked good. Recovering memories is always a little tough in a movie because I want to have a chance to figure things out... but I can't because even the characters don't know it. They figure it out with memories, not with clues, so there are no real hints in the movie, you're just waiting for the next memory to tell more of the story. Still, this did some new things for a zombie movie, and I liked the way it was told.

Ghosted - the new Ana De Armas Chris Evans flick on Apple+

Meh, it's pretty dumb, but at least you get to look at De Armas for a few hours.

Movies I watched in April

My monthly project was three films about J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI. The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover was a muckraking biography made five years after Hoover's death by 70s exploitation king Larry Cohen. It did a lot with a low budget and a cast including Broderick Crawford and a bunch of "that guys". Clint Eastwood's J. Edgar covered a lot of the same ground with a much more serious tone and a greater focus on Hoover's character. I don't know if Leonardo DiCaprio's performance was brilliant or terrible. Hoover's personal project The FBI Story was probably my favorite of the three. It's pure propaganda but it was put together in a very entertaining package with James Stewart's agent and family man as an idealized avatar for Hoover. The script included an amazing number of film tropes and cliches--a character turns on a radio for no other reason than it'll announce the bombing of Pearl Harbor at the end of the scene.
Nice to hear that the Stewart FBI Story movie was solid. I have that DVR'd to watch. This month I did a couple themed watches

Fascism: The Conformist (twice actually, once on the big screen), Rome Open City, Germany Year Zero, Cabaret, The Damned, Army of Shadows and The Night Porter.

80s (inspired by the threads here): Terms of Endearment, When Harry Met Sally, The Stepfather, The Goonies, Predator, Bull Durham, The Burbs

Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward: The HBO doc The Last Movie Stars, Rachel Rachel, Cool Hand Luke, The Long Hot Summer

100th Anniversary of Warner Brothers
: Cool Hand Luke, The Maltese Falcon, Rebel without a Cause, Svengali, Land of the Pharaohs, A Lion in the Streets

The 3 I enjoyed most were The Conformist, The Stepfather (new watch, B thriller) and Terms of Endearment

The 3 that I least enjoyed were unfortunately all new watches- A Lion in the Streets, Land of the Pharaohs and Rachel, Rachel

Meatballs- wtf am I watching here? Of course the fat kid is eating a candy bar on the basketball court. :lmao:
Fantastic movie
It was an educational watch. Not sure I would use that wording for it, though.

It's an extension of the 80s research in that now instead of saying WTF was wrong with the 80s, I am asking that about the 70s. Probably more often as I think about the movies I've watched in the last couple weeks - Texas Chainsaw, Meatballs, Smokey and the Bandit, and The Exorcist.

The 3 that I least enjoyed were unfortunately all new watches- A Lion in the Streets, Land of the Pharaohs and Rachel, Rachel

Land of the Pharaohs is a stinker. Howard Hawks' career died along with the studio system. Other than his Westerns, his late period stuff are really strange. Films like Man's Favorite Sport and Red Line 7000 are MST3K-level bad.

Nice to hear that the Stewart FBI Story movie was solid. I have that DVR'd to watch.

I'd go with weirdly entertaining rather than solid. The FBI Story does manage to wrap up the story of the Osage Indian murders in about 20 minutes--three hours less than Scorsese is taking for Killers of the Flower Moon. The 20 minutes includes a timeout for Jimmy Stewart to eat some pickles and yell at his kids.

Last edited:
I watched Personality Crisis: One Night Only, the new documentary about New York Dolls frontman David Johansen. It's directed by Martin Scorsese and David Tedeschi, who previously had collaborated on recent films about The Rolling Thunder Revue and Fran Lebowitz. Like Lebowitz, Johansen is a bigger name in New York City than anywhere else on earth so as well as a biography, the film also functions as an elegy for the city in the 70s and 80s

Personality Crisis uses archival footage combined with interviews and a cabaret performance recorded in Jan 2020. Its put together with affection for the artist giving him lots of space to tell his own story. He's always been as much of a raconteur as a singer. Your enjoyment will depend on your interest in Johansen and his schtick. I liked it but it's an awful lot of David Johansen.

Once again, a movie that looks like something I'd want to watch is on Showtime, so I can't view it and instead had to settle for the previews. That does seem like a lot of David Johansen.

Land of the Pharaohs is a stinker. Howard Hawks' career died along with the studio system. Other than his Westerns, his late period stuff are really strange. Films like Man's Favorite Sport and Red Line 7000 are MST3K-level bad.
Scorsese chose it to get restored for the 100th anniversary so I had some expectations....nope, was probably just something Marty saw at the theater as a kid and had nostalgia for. Looked nice enough but was a snoozefest.
Nice to hear that the Stewart FBI Story movie was solid. I have that DVR'd to watch.

I'd go with weirdly entertaining rather than solid. The FBI Story does manage to wrap up the story of the Osage Indian murders in about 20 minutes--three hours less than Scorsese is taking for Killers of the Flower Moon. The 20 minutes includes a timeout for Jimmy Stewart to eat some pickles and yell at his kids.
Stewart eating pickles? Sold.

Predestination (Roku channel): 2013 Ethan Hawke time travel movie that has a very good IMDB rating (7.4). I've watched Dark, which takes something like 30 hours to tell a very complex but really cool time travel movie that blows your mind a few times along the way. I think this movie might have been part of the inspiration for it. It only has 2 hours, so of course it can't get that complex, but it was enough to make me go find a diagram on Reddit to crystallize what happened. There's part that is pretty transparent from early parts of the movie, but there's more to it than that, and I really enjoyed it. I don't know why I've never heard of this movie until recently.

Deadgirl (Vudu free): 2008 movie with nobody we've heard of. Whoo boy, what a yucky movie. I rail on about rapey 80s movies, then I watch this movie about high schoolers (who all look 35) finding a zombie woman chained to a bed in an abandoned asylum. Man, I really don't like how this was played off as normal that guys would do what they did in this movie. It might be true, but I don't like to think so. It's a unique movie, something different to do within the zombie setting, but yucko, this one isn't fun to think about.

Love and Monsters. Really fun popcorn movie. A dorky 20 something decides that he's going to travel 85 miles after the end of civilization across monster invested land to find the girl he lost 7 years ago before the apocalypse. Highly recommend for a good time, feel good movie.

Predestination (Roku channel): 2013 Ethan Hawke time travel movie that has a very good IMDB rating (7.4). I've watched Dark, which takes something like 30 hours to tell a very complex but really cool time travel movie that blows your mind a few times along the way. I think this movie might have been part of the inspiration for it. It only has 2 hours, so of course it can't get that complex, but it was enough to make me go find a diagram on Reddit to crystallize what happened. There's part that is pretty transparent from early parts of the movie, but there's more to it than that, and I really enjoyed it. I don't know why I've never heard of this movie until recently.

Deadgirl (Vudu free): 2008 movie with nobody we've heard of. Whoo boy, what a yucky movie. I rail on about rapey 80s movies, then I watch this movie about high schoolers (who all look 35) finding a zombie woman chained to a bed in an abandoned asylum. Man, I really don't like how this was played off as normal that guys would do what they did in this movie. It might be true, but I don't like to think so. It's a unique movie, something different to do within the zombie setting, but yucko, this one isn't fun to think about.

I remember Predestination coming out during my video store days, hating it, and now I can't tell you a damn thing about it besides Hawk was in it. Also saw Deadgirl around that time and it for sure gets the :oldunsure: rating from me as well.

"On a hot day, two rebellious high school friends, Rickie and JT, decide to skip class to hang out at an abandoned asylum for the mentally ill."

I miss those days.

Watched the new French action movie AKA on Netflix. The main character was a variation on the Bourne deep cover killing machine. Action sequences were quick and brutal which left more time for a story that combined the confusing and hokey. The assassin's target was a terrorist leader but he first had to infiltrate a criminal organization headed by former footballer Eric Cantona. There was a side quest involving Cantona's son and some geopolitical intrigue thrown in as well.

The star Alban Lenoir and the director were involved in the Lost Bullet series (also on Netflix), which I found more entertaining. I don't know if it was an artistic decision, a budgetary issue or shooting in the age of Covid but AKA took place in a seemingly uninhabited Paris. This gave the film a generic feel; if they weren't speaking French it could have taken place anywhere.

Out of the Blue

Film Noir my ***. It needs better acting and a plot not full of holes. Not sure if this is a really well liked film or not, but I didn’t like it. 2/5 (I’m being generous)

Thanks to me doing more research for a possible 1970s movie list with @Ilov80s , I am realizing just how much I love 70s horror movies. I've watched so many good ones in the last couple weeks: Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Carrie, The Brood, TCM, The Exorcist, Suspiria, and Messiah of Evil just off the top of my head. I still have a ton to get to as well - Don't Look Now, Alien, Halloween, Black Christmas, and a bunch of others. :popcorn:

Thanks to me doing more research for a possible 1970s movie list with @Ilov80s , I am realizing just how much I love 70s horror movies. I've watched so many good ones in the last couple weeks: Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Carrie, The Brood, TCM, The Exorcist, Suspiria, and Messiah of Evil just off the top of my head. I still have a ton to get to as well - Don't Look Now, Alien, Halloween, Black Christmas, and a bunch of others. :popcorn:
And you didn’t event mention Piranha. Hilarious horror comedy…though unlikely to make a top 100 for me.

Also, have you seen The Devils yet?

And you didn’t event mention Piranha. Hilarious horror comedy…though unlikely to make a top 100 for me.

How could I forget that gem?

No, I haven't seen The Devil's and it doesn't look like it can be streamed or at the library.

No, I haven't seen The Devil's and it doesn't look like it can be streamed or at the library.
Yeah it’s a tough one to find unfortunately

Land of the Pharaohs is a stinker.
The movie was a mess, but young Joan Collins was so ridiculously hot I couldn't bring myself to stop watching - even if she couldn't really act at that point in her career. Jack Hawkins was a pretty good actor, but totally miscast here as a semi-action hero.

Air (on Prime) is probably my favorite movie of the year, so far. Great cast, very funny.

I watched it the other night and liked it. I didn't think it was exceptional, but I really enjoyed the story even if a bit embellished. I thought Chris Messina turned in the best performance of the film though I do think he borrowed a little from Ari Gold.

Phil Knight's book "Shoe Dog" was a fabulous read and for those that liked Air and are fans of Nike, I can't recommend this book enough.

Yeah it’s a tough one to find unfortunately

But not impossible :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread