What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

While I'm sure in real life Statham can defeat any and all great whites he encounters on his adventures in restaurants, theaters, and stores, the trailer shows a shark eating a tyrannosaurus. Eating a tryrannosaurus.

He's not stopping that with his foot.

While I'm sure in real life Statham can defeat any and all great whites he encounters on his adventures in restaurants, theaters, and stores, the trailer shows a shark eating a tyrannosaurus. Eating a tryrannosaurus.

He's not stopping that with his foot.
Are you saying the Rock isn't as big as a T-Rex?

Oh, well maybe he just looks that big standing next to Kevin Hart.....

SISU, if you like over the top action/violence that is fast paced and centers around killing nazi’s then this is the movie for you. it was a ww2 john wick and i’m glad i saw it in the theater.

Ghosted - the new Ana De Armas Chris Evans flick on Apple+

Meh, it's pretty dumb, but at least you get to look at De Armas for a few hours.
Nothing great for sure, I did enjoy it though. Had some decent moments and some fun ones. Several great cameos though. Especially during the one sequence in the middle.

They didn't have much chemistry in my opinion. She was ok in her role but after years of playing Captain America, Evans doesn't fit his role. He doesn't come across as a "regular guy" enough in the action scenes.

The restoration/re-envisioning/recut version of Caligula, which I've mentioned in another thread that I have been mildly involved with, has received very good reviews from its premiere at Cannes:

Rogerebert.com
The Guardian

:pickle:

Annnnnd the original director is suing to prevent future showings of it. :sadbanana:
Obviously the love is for the first part. Does the original director have any standing?

The restoration/re-envisioning/recut version of Caligula, which I've mentioned in another thread that I have been mildly involved with, has received very good reviews from its premiere at Cannes:

Rogerebert.com
The Guardian

:pickle:

Annnnnd the original director is suing to prevent future showings of it. :sadbanana:
Obviously the love is for the first part. Does the original director have any standing?

I have absolutely no idea right now. My suspicion would be "money grab" but I really don't have any information yet.

I have absolutely no idea right now. My suspicion would be "money grab" but I really don't have any information yet.
Money grab part makes sense. I just I get a chance to see this movie. I would be wildly interested no matter what but the fact you are involved is just beyond cool.

The Mother - The longer this movie went, the dumber it got. It's like a really dumb version of Jason Bourne if he were a mother. So really dumb story - but the action was pretty fun.

Wow Mulholland Drive does not work for me. I know it’s popular but man…

Naomi Watts is great though.
It's really strange, and that barely describes the extent of the strangeness. After the first viewing I just thought "WTF?" so I waited a few months and watched it again. I was confused during the movie about which woman was the reliable narrator.
I plan to watch it again and will probably like it more. Watts was really good.

I don't know why I watched the White Men Can't Jump remake, since the first is perfection......

It was not good. A few laughs here and there but overall was meh

Checking off a big one for me tonight:

Gimme Shelter

Had no idea we got a Tina Turner mini performance in the middle. Incredible timing. RIP.

Yes, this is fantastic. I cannot believe this show wasn't stopped after the Jefferson Airplane's guitarist was punched on stage.

This documentary sent me into a Tina Turner phase for weeks after just from her appearance. RIP to one of rhe very best rock has ever seen.

Checking off a big one for me tonight:

Gimme Shelter

Had no idea we got a Tina Turner mini performance in the middle. Incredible timing. RIP.

Yes, this is fantastic. I cannot believe this show wasn't stopped after the Jefferson Airplane's guitarist was punched on stage.

This documentary sent me into a Tina Turner phase for weeks after just from her appearance. RIP to one of rhe very best rock has ever seen.
She definitely was the best performer of everyone in the movie. Wasn’t close. And yeah how was that not stopped after the Airplane incident? Clearly wasn’t being led by geniuses.

Last edited:
i watched the antman quantum realm movie on disney over the last two nights and it was pretty good it did have some slow parts but man the guy that is a bad dude it appears who plays kang really does a great acting job so it is too bad he appears to be a creep anyhow it was not my favorite marvel movie but it was still pretty decent but of course i am not the kind of comic book store guy who is going to complain because of a women empowerment scene or because someones cape was 10 cm longer than in a a comic books fourth edition that was only available in latvia for 3 months in the late 70s so take this with the appropriate grain of salt take that to the bank brochachos

I don't know why I watched the White Men Can't Jump remake, since the first is perfection......

It was not good. A few laughs here and there but overall was meh
I watched while riding the bike. The update worked for me, I giggled.

I also went in not expecting much and got more laughs than I thought I would.

i watched the antman quantum realm movie on disney over the last two nights and it was pretty good it did have some slow parts but man the guy that is a bad dude it appears who plays kang really does a great acting job so it is too bad he appears to be a creep anyhow it was not my favorite marvel movie but it was still pretty decent but of course i am not the kind of comic book store guy who is going to complain because of a women empowerment scene or because someones cape was 10 cm longer than in a a comic books fourth edition that was only available in latvia for 3 months in the late 70s so take this with the appropriate grain of salt take that to the bank brochachos
Yeah Majors absolutely screwed himself out of so much money. Kang, his Creed spinoff series, whispers of an Oscar level performance in this new body building movie. All of that it likely gone now.

It's not a cape, it's a cloak.

Recent views:

Man called Otto - Wife and I both enjoyed it. Bring tissues for the misses.

Sisu - watched this solo last night. Not as great as advertised, but a good entertaining, violent 1:30 none the less.

Missing - Good, but copies so much from "Searching" that it felt weird.

Blood & Gold on Netflix is a pretty entertaining watch.

It's a German WWII action movie with lots of violence and a bit of black humor. The film owes a lot to Spaghetti Westerns with its lost gold macguffin and multiple vengeance plotlines.

Quantumania was ok. Glad I saw it but other than that....

Dungeons and Dragons Honor Among Theives was really good. I watched on a whim and couldn't believe how much fun it was.

Wife and I watched Fast and Furious X over the weekend. We've enjoyed most of the franchise.
This one wasn't bad, but like watching a series on TV and you know you just watched a filler episode, that is how I felt leaving this one. Lots of action, but also a lot of downtime trying to build up the next film. The villian got annoying after awhile with his over the top acting.

Also, no spoilers, but just know another character you were 99% sure was dead is resurrected... And yet Bryan is still alive, but hiding somewhere :rolleyes:

I watched both Conan movies over the weekend.

Barbarian is good. The music is proto-LOTR in some ways, the actors did their jobs, there was some poetry in the monologues - you could tell that a good team made the movie. Also, I'm pretty sure I saw my first boobs in that movie long ago.

Destroyer blows. They reused the same music in silly ways, the special effects were pretty terrible (everything involving a castle on an island was egregious)... the actors were worse - just everything was lesser, except that Conan himself looked great, and it was cool to see Wilt making Arnold look so tiny. I've seen others say it was a kids movie. Sure, I guess so, no boobs and more jokes... but you can't get softer with the sequel.

I listen to it a bit anyway, and because it also tied into a bit of my 70s research, I'm following along with The Evolution of Horror's season on Mind & Body. I got a lot of out their folk horror series, but that one was repetitive. This has a much wider range of movies and a lot that I've been either meaning to watch or in the case of Eraserhead and Marytrs - daring myself to watch again. They go in chronological order, so first was Un Chien Andalou, Caligari, Freaks, Diabolique. Now I am rounding on Eyes Without a Face, Carnival of Souls, and Repulsion. The 70s stretch has Carrie, Eraserhead, and The Brood. :popcorn: :scared:

Missing - Good, but copies so much from "Searching" that it felt weird.

I had some weird-for-me movie-watching last weekend. On Friday I decided to watch Gimme Shelter, but in midst of looking for it I came across "Missing" and decided it sounded interesting and somewhat mindless. I definitely thought it was good - very clever and well-put-together, with a decent enough plot - but it occurred to me that it was this exact moment that I learned that I was old and the world had passed me by. Anyone who's seen it might know what I mean, but basically a movie that had no traditional "scenes" and was instead just snippets of online/phone/cam segments was, despite again being very well done, just not something I need to see again. I haven't seen "Searching" but as you said it seems to be the same.

After I finished this, the next recommendation that came up for me was "Wall Street," so I decided to watch that again and see how it held up. I was surprised to find it held up very well and was even better than I remembered...until the last 10-15 minutes. Jesus, did they just realized they'd hit the run time and decide to shove a disjointed, silly, rushed ending in there? It didn't detract from the fact that it was a very good movie, but to me kept it from being truly great. Also, Martin Sheen is an underappreciated national treasure.

Having done something weird for me not once but twice - going with a "recommended for me" movie from Netflix or Hulu or whatever instead of watching something with strong intention - I decided to try my luck again a day or two later and watched "The Ghostwriter" with Pierce Brosnan and Ewan McGregor. Ehhhhh, it was all right. A few good twists and turns, and terrific acting from the likes of Olivia Williams and always-my-favorite Tom Wilkinson. but I didn't entirely get the apparent hype.

- I decided to try my luck again a day or two later and watched "The Ghostwriter" with Pierce Brosnan and Ewan McGregor. Ehhhhh, it was all right. A few good twists and turns, and terrific acting from the likes of Olivia Williams and always-my-favorite Tom Wilkinson. but I didn't entirely get the apparent hype.

Not Polanski's best by any means but I thought it was kind of an interesting Hitchcock homage.

Destroyer blows. They reused the same music in silly ways, the special effects were pretty terrible (everything involving a castle on an island was egregious)... the actors were worse - just everything was lesser, except that Conan himself looked great, and it was cool to see Wilt making Arnold look so tiny. I've seen others say it was a kids movie. Sure, I guess so, no boobs and more jokes... but you can't get softer with the sequel.

I liked Destroyer, but it definitely has that "B Movie" feel. Wilt's biggest role as an actor if I'm not mistaken.

MOVIES I WATCHED IN MAY
Deathtrap (1982 - S. Lumet)
Honeysuckle Rose (1980 - J. Schatzberg)
True Lies (1994 - J. Cameron)
AKA (2023 - M. Dalibert)
The Grandmaster (2013 - K-W Wong)
The Fan (1996 - T. Scott)
My Blueberry Nights (2007 - K-W Wong)
F9: The Fast Saga (2021 - J. Lin)
Kill Me Again (1989 - J. Dahl)
Manhattan Melodrama (1934 - W.S. Van Dyke)
Tango & Cash (1989 - A. Konchalovsky)
Kicking and Screaming (1995 - N. Baumbach)
Image Makers: The Adventures of America's Pioneer Cinematographers (2019 - D. Raim)
Stroszek (1977 - W. Herzog)
Blood & Gold (2023 - P. Thorwarth)
Hud (1963 - M. Ritt)
Chungking Express (1994 - K-W Wong)
Contagion (2011 - S. Soderbergh)

Seventeen movies this month. It wasn't intentional but I started May off with a Dyan Cannon double dip. Deathtrap was an effective film adaptation of a one-set play. I wrote up Honeysuckle Rose in more depth in the Willie Nelson thread but still haven't quite gotten over Willie's character sleeping with his best friend's daughter.

My monthly project watch was three films directed by Wong Kar-Wei. Chungking Express was the early Hong Kong production that made his reputation. It's beautifully shot but I didn't really bond with its superficial characters. My Blueberry Nights is Wong's only film in English. The story and aimless characters are similar to Chungking Express. The settings were reminiscent as well with American diners, drive-ins and dives filling in for the food court in Hong Kong. I didn't love either film but I did find myself thinking about the beautiful imagery as the month went on. I will say Norah Jones is a better singer than actor. The Grandmaster is Wong's telling of the Ip Man legend. It challenges Hero as the most visually stunning martial arts film I've seen even though some of Wong's fight scenes were disorienting. The American cut was 22 minutes shorter than the original Chinese version. The American version supposedly has a more linear structure but I thought the second half of the story seemed disjointed.

I hadn't watched True Lies since it first came out. I remember not loving it at the time but had forgotten why. Cameron is good with the action setpieces but the story fell flat for me. 1994 was right at the beginning of CGI so the stunt work was paramount. I also wanted to punch Tom Arnold by the end.

A while back I joked in ilov80s Ridley Scott HOF thread that his brother Tony was a better director with a more distinct style. I still sort of stand by that but won't be using The Fan in any future arguments. My God, what a ridiculous turkey that was. F9 was in a similar preposterous vein but was a better, more entertaining watch. It still wasn't enough to get me to buy a ticket for the new F&F movie.

Kill Me Again was a well crafted little neo-Noir with Val and Joyce Whalley Kilmer playing a classic chump and femme fatale. It was one of those movies you stumble into because it looks interesting and it didn't disappoint. Tango & Cash was like a mish-mash of every 80s Action Comedy cliche but it made good use of casting Stallone and Russell against type.

I've posted earlier about Netflix Euro action releases AKA and Blood & Gold. The latter was the better of the two by far.

Manhattan Melodrama was a follow-up to my J. Edgar Hoover binge last month; it was the movie John Dillinger watched immediately being shot by the FBI. It was a silly tale about two orphans who grew up to be the Governor and a crime boss but it was saved by the star power of Gable, William Powell and Myrna Loy.

I realized about 30 minutes into Kicking and Screaming that I'd seen it before. Gen X coming of age comedies haven't aged well but this one had its moments I guess.

The documentary about cinematographers is recommended if you get TCM. It's streaming until June 21st. That got me in the mood for Hud which was featured in the documentary. It's a very well acted film all around and James Wong Howe's B&W camera work is still gorgeous.

Contagion is certainly a different experience today than when it came out. It holds up pretty well all things considered. Soderbergh is really good at modern epics like this (The Laundromat notwithstanding). I wish he would return to bigger productions than the small pieces he's been doing lately.

Stroszek was probably the best thing I watched in May (tied with Hud maybe). Its unpretentiousness and offbeat story of a street musician, a prostitute and an old man emigrating from Berlin to rural Wisconsin spoke to me more than the mopey romantics in the Wong trilogy. I need to track down more Herzog films this coming month.

I think that about covers it. This sure went on longer than I expected.

Last edited:
Deathtrap was an effective film adaptation of a one-set play.

My monthly project watch was three films directed by Wong Kar-Wei. Chungking Express was the early Hong Kong production that made his reputation. It's beautifully shot but I didn't really bond with its superficial characters. My Blueberry Nights is Wong's only film in English. The story and aimless characters are similar to Chungking Express. The settings were reminiscent as well with American diners, drive-ins and dives filling in for the food court in Hong Kong. I didn't love either film but I did find myself thinking about the beautiful imagery as the month went on. I will say Norah Jones is a better singer than actor. The Grandmaster is Wong's telling of the Ip Man legend. It challenges Hero as the most visually stunning martial arts film I've seen even though some of Wong's fight scenes were disorienting. The American cut was 22 minutes shorter than the original Chinese version. The American version supposedly has a more linear structure but I thought the second half of the story seemed disjointed.

A while back I joked in ilov80s Ridley Scott HOF thread that his brother Tony was a better director with a more distinct style. I still sort of stand by that but won't be using The Fan in any future arguments. My God, what a ridiculous turkey that was.

Kill Me Again was a well crafted little neo-Noir with Val and Joyce Whalley Kilmer playing a classic chump and femme fatale. It was one of those movies you stumble into because it looks interesting and it didn't disappoint.

Stroszek was probably the best thing I watched in May (tied with Hud maybe). Its unpretentiousness and offbeat story of a street musician, a prostitute and an old man emigrating from Berlin to rural Wisconsin spoke to me more than the mopey romantics in the Wong trilogy. I need to track down more Herzog films this coming month.

I read through your list and wondered two things: was Deathtrap as good as I remembered, and was The Fan as bad? Seems both answers are yes.

I'm surprised at your semi-negative reaction to Wong, but then again the only one of those three I've seen is Chungking Express. I love that and several others from him, though.

I'm trying to recall if I saw Kill Me Again before. Based on your review, I think I'll fire it up (again).

Herzog is one of my top 10, probably top five, directors, so Stroszek is a favorite. IIRC this might be former member pantagrapher's favorite film, or close to it. Sucks that he's not here anymore.

MOVIES I WATCHED IN MAY
Deathtrap (1982 - S. Lumet)
Honeysuckle Rose (1980 - J. Schatzberg)
True Lies (1994 - J. Cameron)
AKA (2023 - M. Dalibert)
The Grandmaster (2013 - K-W Wong)
The Fan (1996 - T. Scott)
My Blueberry Nights (2007 - K-W Wong)
F9: The Fast Saga (2021 - J. Lin)
Kill Me Again (1989 - J. Dahl)
Manhattan Melodrama (1934 - W.S. Van Dyke)
Tango & Cash (1989 - A. Konchalovsky)
Kicking and Screaming (1995 - N. Baumbach)
Image Makers: The Adventures of America's Pioneer Cinematographers (2019 - D. Raim)
Stroszek (1977 - W. Herzog)
Blood & Gold (2023 - P. Thorwarth)
Hud (1963 - M. Ritt)
Chungking Express (1994 - K-W Wong)
Contagion (2011 - S. Soderbergh)

Seventeen movies this month. It wasn't intentional but I started May off with a Dyan Cannon double dip. Deathtrap was an effective film adaptation of a one-set play. I wrote up Honeysuckle Rose in more depth in the Willie Nelson thread but still haven't quite gotten over Willie's character sleeping with his best friend's daughter.

I hadn't watched True Lies since it first came out. I remember not loving it at the time but had forgotten why. Cameron is good with the action setpieces but the story fell flat for me. 1994 was right at the beginning of CGI so the stunt work was paramount. I also wanted to punch Tom Arnold by the end.

A while back I joked in ilov80s Ridley Scott HOF thread that his brother Tony was a better director with a more distinct style. I still sort of stand by that but won't be using The Fan in any future arguments. My God, what a ridiculous turkey that was. F9 was in a similar preposterous vein but was a better, more entertaining watch. It still wasn't enough to get me to buy a ticket for the new F&F movie.

Kill Me Again was a well crafted little neo-Noir with Val and Joyce Whalley Kilmer playing a classic chump and femme fatale. It was one of those movies you stumble into because it looks interesting and it didn't disappoint. Tango & Cash was like a mish-mash of every 80s Action Comedy cliche but it made good use of casting Stallone and Russell against type.

I've posted earlier about Netflix Euro action releases AKA and Blood & Gold. The latter was the better of the two by far.

Manhattan Melodrama was a follow-up to my J. Edgar Hoover binge last month; it was the movie John Dillinger watched immediately being shot by the FBI. It was a silly tale about two orphans who grew up to be the Governor and a crime boss but it was saved by the star power of Gable, William Powell and Myrna Loy.

I realized about 30 minutes into Kicking and Screaming that I'd seen it before. Gen X coming of age comedies haven't aged well but this one had its moments I guess.

The documentary about cinematographers is recommended if you get TCM. It's streaming until June 21st. That got me in the mood for Hud which was featured in the documentary. It's a very well acted film all around and James Wong Howe's B&W camera work is still gorgeous.

Contagion is certainly a different experience today than when it came out. It holds up pretty well all things considered. Soderbergh is really good at modern epics like this (The Laundromat notwithstanding). I wish he would return to bigger productions than the small pieces he's been doing lately.

I think that about covers it. This sure went on longer than I expected.

Have to disagree on Kicking and Screaming. One of my favorite movies. Its just great.

As Above, So Below (Tubi): 6.2 IMDB score. It’s kind of like if Indiana Jones or National Treasure were a horror movie. I never like the jumps of logic people make in these, where they read some prophecy and magically figure out exactly what they mean… when any of 100 conclusions could be drawn from the cryptic generic text. But the characters were likable, which goes a long way. The characters magically cipher their way into the catacombs under Paris looking for magic beans, then all hell breaks loose and it’s a found footage horror movie. A couple of really cool sequences, highlighted by a burning car scene and a just brutally brutal smash attack by a possibly dead guy.

Overall, the 6.2 is pretty accurate. I enjoyed it. I see that critics hated it, so low ratings there, but to me, it was worth watching.

Have to disagree on Kicking and Screaming. One of my favorite movies. Its just great.

Kicking and Screaming definitely had its moments and is a better film than Reality Bites. It just made me feel like an old geezer scoffing at the self-importance of youth.

My favorite of the 90s Eric Stoltz indie comedy genre is Sleep with Me from 1994. It's probably best known for the party scene where Quentin Tarantino breaks down Top Gun. Unfortunately it only appears to be available via on funky YouTube streams but I'll probably re-watch it now that I'm thinking about it.

I'm surprised at your semi-negative reaction to Wong, but then again the only one of those three I've seen is Chungking Express. I love that and several others from him, though.

My expectations were probably too high based on critics' all-time rankings for Chungking Express. Some of Wong's technique has also been subsumed over the decades by commercials and music videos so it doesn't feel as fresh as it would have in 1994.

Maybe watching the one in English first was a bad idea too.
I'm trying to recall if I saw Kill Me Again before. Based on your review, I think I'll fire it up (again).

Director John Dahl went on to do Red Rock West and The Last Seduction which are both top-shelf neo-noirs.

Last edited:
Director John Dahl went on to do Red Rock West and The Last Seduction which are both top-shelf neo-noirs.

Ohhhhhh, I feel like I must have seen Kill Me Again. Those other two are top-notch, especially The Last Seduction, which I've seen multiple times and loved every time. Excited to (re-)see Kill Me Again. Might need to check out Red Rocks West again, too. Thanks for the reminders!

My expectations were probably too high based on critics' all-time rankings for Chungking Express. Some of Wong's technique has also been subsumed over the decades by commercials and music videos so it doesn't feel as fresh as it would have in 1994.

Have you watched In the Mood for Love? It's my favorite. And a good friend of mine insists that the main female character reminds him of me in some physical sense, despite my not being Asian.

Have you watched In the Mood for Love? It's my favorite. And a good friend of mine insists that the main female character reminds him of me in some physical sense, despite my not being Asian.
Eephus did seem to pick 2 of the worst WKW movies.

I need to get back to movies and posting here. I've been re-watching a lot of classics I love that my wife hadn't seen: Rushmore, Fast Times, The Right Stuff, The Untouchables, etc.

This summer, I hope to do a few more dedicated movie marathons with clear themes. I've been too busy with school and life recently to do that. Luckily, it's because work has been going so well. I just keep getting better and better at my job.

Users who are viewing this thread