What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Red Sox trade Arroyo (1 Viewer)

Just as everyone knew from the beginning, Arrojo was a complete moron for giving the Red Sox a hometown discount.

Red Sox fans, no more complaining when someone leaves the team for more money elsewhere (not that there should've been any complaints to begin with...).

Does Dunn get moved back to the outfield?
I read that Dunn will move back to LF, and Hatteberg will take over 1B."Adam Dunn is a better left fielder than Wily Mo would be, and Hatteberg will be a better first baseman than Adam Dunn would be," said Jerry Narron. "So I think defensively we helped ourselves, and the pitching part of it is outstanding for us."

Interesting Stats:

Pena: 45 HR in last 689 plate appearances (2004-2005)

Manny Ramirez: 45 HR in last 634 plate appearances (2005)

David Ortiz: 47 HR in last 703 plate appearances (2005)

Nixon vs RHP

.288 AVG (.224 vs LHP)

.850 OPS (.640 vs LHP)

Pena vs LHP

.291 AVG (.234 vs RHP)

.880 OPS (.740 vs RHP)

Does Dunn get moved back to the outfield?
I read that Dunn will move back to LF, and Hatteberg will take over 1B."Adam Dunn is a better left fielder than Wily Mo would be, and Hatteberg will be a better first baseman than Adam Dunn would be," said Jerry Narron. "So I think defensively we helped ourselves, and the pitching part of it is outstanding for us."
Great.. another first baseman that hits 10 hr's a year. :mellow:

]Interesting Stats:

Nixon vs RHP

.288 AVG (.224 vs LHP)

.850 OPS (.640 vs LHP)

Pena vs LHP

.291 AVG (.234 vs RHP)

.880 OPS (.740 vs RHP)
Pena's stats look good until you average in his numbers vs. RHPs.

,Mar 20 2006, 02:52 PM]Interesting Stats:

Nixon vs RHP

.288 AVG (.224 vs LHP)

.850 OPS (.640 vs LHP)

Pena vs LHP

.291 AVG (.234 vs RHP)

.880 OPS (.740 vs RHP)
Pena's stats look good until you average in his numbers vs. RHPs.
No doubt. A logical platooning buddy for Trot when BOS faces LHP.

All reports this spring are that he's improved a significant amount regarding pitch selection and overall plate discipline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the trade because Arroyo signed with Bosotn and wanted to stay there. He gave them a discount. What is the motivation for any player to give the Red Sox a hometown discount when there is a possibility that the Sox could trade them before any game has been played.

Bad long term move by the Sox in my opinion. Good luck getting hometown discount out of Ortiz, etc without a no-trade clause.

reds management are idiots.
As much as I've enjoyed watching Willy Mo Pena for the short time he's been a Red, I think this is a good move. We need pitching badly, and other than Pena's power offense, he doesn't offer that much defensively. The Reds maintain their power lineup, improve their defense, and improve their pitching. Can you elaborate on why you think the new management are idiots? I'm seeing the opposite here.

It will be interesting to see how Arroyo works out in Great American Ballpark. His fly ball to ground ball ratio looks pretty even, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Don't like the trade because Arroyo signed with Bosotn and wanted to stay there. He gave them a discount. What is the motivation for any player to give the Red Sox a hometown discount when there is a possibility that the Sox could trade them before any game has been played.

Bad long term move by the Sox in my opinion. Good luck getting hometown discount out of Ortiz, etc without a no-trade clause.
Arroyo may have been a bit naive here.He signs a contract that increases his trade value, what did he think would happen. I think most of us saw the writing on the wall here.

I wouldn't read too much into it with Ortiz. He already signed for a hometown discount and the Sox are likely to offer him a sweeter deal before his contract comes close to being down to the wire.

This is a great move for the Sox, Arroyo was expendable. Given Trot's injury history, did you really want Adam Stern as your #4 OF? They need to sure the OF up, this will help.

The Reds have absolutely no pitching, did you think they needed to carry an extra OF?I am sure this was the best deal that came down the pike. Obviously they weren't getting overwhelemed with better offers.

no one forced Arroyo to sign the deal. They gave him no promise that he wouldnt be traded.

The Reds have absolutely no pitching, did you think they needed to carry an extra OF?I am sure this was the best deal that came down the pike. Obviously they weren't getting overwhelemed with better offers.
bringing in another marginal pitcher for a 24 year old with potential just doesnt make sense to me. Arroyo will never be an ace. He'll be an average pitcher at best in that ball park. Bringing average (arroyo) to below average(milton) pitchers to that park just wont work.

bringing in another marginal pitcher for a 24 year old with potential just doesnt make sense to me. Arroyo will never be an ace. He'll be an average pitcher at best in that ball park. Bringing average (arroyo) to below average(milton) pitchers to that park just wont work.
You were expecting an Ace in return for WMP?

holy crap that's a great avatar.

I feel bad for Arroyo, and I'm not sure I love the move. I don't like relying on Wells when he said he wanted to be traded, and I have a feeling this may be a hedge against an unhappy Manny or even (slim chance here) a sign that they may be trading him very soon.

of course not, but his upside is still far greater than arroyo

I feel bad for Arroyo, and I'm not sure I love the move. I don't like relying on Wells when he said he wanted to be traded, and I have a feeling this may be a hedge against an unhappy Manny or even (slim chance here) a sign that they may be trading him very soon.
Papelbon is in the mix if Wells gets shipped out. I am going to trust that the Sox management have their pitchers evaluated correctly and Arroyo was the odd man out of the rotation regardless.

I thought Wells was something like 95% certain to be traded.
Absolutely not 95%. Could go either way.A couple of weeks ago he said he wanted to play with them this season. Now he's grumbling about not getting a start until the middle of April and I think they are frustrated with him a bit, but I won't be surprised if he stays or goes at this point.

They need to sure the OF up, this will help.
WHAT IF WE OFFERED HIM SOME FRENCH BENEFITS?

]
I thought that really was pike? As in road, or something? :mellow: :bag:

,Mar 20 2006, 03:38 PM]

http://www.bartleby.com/68/28/2028.html
LOL and look up sure in the dictionary too Icon. Last I checked, it can mean Firm or Steady, jerkoff.Where is the TOOL smilie when you need one?

]
LOL and look up sure in the dictionary too Icon. Last I checked, it can mean Firm or Steady, jerkoff.Where is the TOOL smilie when you need one?
The correct expression there is "Shore up" not "sure up"... sorry man. But feel free to snap and get hyper defensive while throwing around personal insults :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
,Mar 20 2006, 03:38 PM]

I am sure this was the best deal that came down the pike. Obviously they weren't getting overwhelemed with better offers.
AHEM, what do you think this should be, Dr. Self-pVVner?
nip
Sorry.. generally skip over your posts. The expression I typically hear is "down the pipe" (Which is also a valid expression). I had heard (apparently incorrectly) that "down the pike" was a mis-used phrase.

Carry on with the circlejerk :thumbup:

Will Ike and JTC make up over a bowl of delicious Clam Chowdah?

Will David Wells weigh less than 400 pounds when he first takes the mound?

Will Mr. Happy show up to humiliate himself and fellow Sox fans further?

All NEXT WEEK on RedSox SuperFan Nation

I'm going with unlikely for all 3:crosses fingers:

]
]
The correct expression there is "Shore up" not "sure up"... sorry man. But feel free to snap and get hyper defensive while throwing around personal insults :thumbup:
Sure.

Team 6 in the NCFB draft was a monster Bahstan homah. It was like nails on a chalkboard every time he called out a pick."Err, ahh.. David Ortiz."

]
]
Sure.
Glad we've come to terms then :thumbup: What else you have coming down the pike?

What are the Red Sox going to do with Juan Gone now? I thought for sure he would make a revival and hit 45+ HR's

Users who are viewing this thread